Case: Housepets!-A Choose Your Own Adventure Game

For playing all sorts of silly I-don't-know-whats

Moderators: Render, ArcWolf

CyberDragon

Re: Case: Housepets!-A Choose Your Own Adventure Game

Post by CyberDragon »

Whatever is hurting Charley is not the giant (probably bear) that probably tore up the trash can. If such a thing were actually trying to kill him, Charley would be taking a lot more than minor damage. Whatever is attacking him is clearly not strong enough to quickly take down a puppy, so the three of them together should be enough. My idea is to stick together. After all, we have a lot of information already:

The only tracks going through the broken right path are huge. They are not Charley's. Odds are, a bear broke through, tore up the trash can, stole from it, and carried what it stole back to the woods. That would explain why the hand prints only go one way. If it grabbed Charley and took him, Echo and Bravo would have been awoken by screaming, as it would have happened right beneath an open window. Also, see the reason mentioned in the first paragraph.

The two other paths both go to the lake if I recall. The middle one has a lot of traffic. If Charley went down that path, he should be able to get help unless everything that made prints is after him, in which case he should be taking more damage.

The one on the left is a shortcut that all three of the puppies know about. Also, something very light, such as a puppy, passed through there very recently. My best bet would be that Charley went down the left path, and that both should go that way.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I'd say 6, but I'm not sure which path to take. Maybe the one with the weird smell?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

edit: I'm stupid.

Last edited by Not A Furry on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lance316

Post by Lance316 »

I'd say split up Echo goes down the middle Bravo does down right
What do we do now Lance?
We ascend from darkness.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

If the parents are involved, saving the pup might convince them that he's family and needs his brothers. I say send Echo to get them, since he knows more about the situation. Bravo should investigate some more - he's got a better nose and might be able to shed a little more light on what happened to Charlie.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Am I the only one who thinks its a REALLY BAD IDEA to split up the group?
-Champion Motto

Douglas Collier

Well, while we're still at the house, I think we're safe. We can get a bigger group if we wake the parents, and use that time to investigate a little more - get more details we might not have picked up on.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Judging by the pictures and descriptions, Right path looks like someone arriving, leaving then coming back. The hand print could be explained by someone crouching down. left path looks like someone running away. middle could be anything.

Regardless of what Echo does, we should send Bravo left. Bravo has K-9 training, and if the parallels to the Comic are accurate, than this is Chronologically AFTER he was at the Wedding fiasco, so we know he's old enough to have had field experience. He's the better one to lead.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

They're still pretty much puppies here. This is before the wedding. Remember, Bravo wears an eyepatch in the Wedding, while here he does not. Heck, he's only just gotten the idea of going for the K9 unit, and decided that working security with the wolves would be good practice.

The danger level went down after Charlie took damage. Maybe he got away from something chasing him, or he simply failed avoiding something on his end and we're just being told the outcome.

Any hidden messages like last time?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

If this is before the wedding then it CANT be connected to Charlie drowning, because that would put them in reverse order chronologically.
Last edited by Buster on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It's Charlie who was supposed to be the drowned pup.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

There is no typo, you saw nothing.

Still, continuity issue...
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Actually, Buster, "Hereafter Thereafter" happens two months before "Here Come Da Bride". The former is in March 2013, while the latter is in May.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i said wedding fiasco, as in the one that went horribly wrong.

(EDIT) ...And apparently I wrote down 01/2013 instead of 11/2013 in my notes which renders the timeline argument moot, cause it's based on a typo.

....████.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

That's the one I thought you meant, but after discovering that that arc started that September and remembering that it was the second wedding in the comic, I thought you might be talking about King and Bailey's. There's a German shepherd wearing an eye patch in "Here Come Da Bride", too.

FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

Split up and send Bravo after charlie and Echo after The Mom and dad. WE NEED THAT GUN. ALL animals fear the sound of gunshots except scavengers. It's definitely larger than a pup, Charlie's constantly taking damage so there's SOMETHING out there making him go fast, and those tracks are definitely not dog tracks..

They fit either bobcat or Mountain lion more in my opinion.

We can rule out bear because these (above)are bear tracks, which are definitely common all over the US.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

FancyHat wrote:Split up and send Bravo after charlie and Echo after The Mom and dad. WE NEED THAT GUN. ALL animals fear the sound of gunshots except scavengers. It's definitely larger than a pup, Charlie's constantly taking damage so there's SOMETHING out there making him go fast, and those tracks are definitely not dog tracks..

They fit either bobcat or Mountain lion more in my opinion.

We can rule out bear because these (above)are bear tracks, which are definitely common all over the US.
FTFY

right click > open image in new tab
FancyHat

Post by FancyHat »

Not A Furry wrote:right click > open image in new tab
I'm on a phone at the moment as interwebs is down for my computer, but thank you regardless.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Bear or mountain lion, either way that's not likely to be what is attacking Charley. Whatever left those tracks came and went. The only way for Charley to be down the right path with the large animal is if he was carried by it. If so, not only would he be taking major damage and not minor, but he would have also screamed at the appearance of a mega-fauna predator and woken up his brothers because the window was open.

The left path has the absolute highest chance of finding Charley.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

those tracks are useless for identification, because
A) they're based on digitgrade legs, not whatever HPU animals have, so we can't be certain the shapes still correspond, and
B) they're dependent on chaoko looking them up rather than drawing generic pawprints, the latter of which better fits the art style.

Again, you're using far too much real-world logic.
Also, I've gotta agree with cyber on the low likelihood of being outmatched as badly as your implying.
thirdly, Continuity, canon Charlie drowned, he wasn't mauled, it would defeat the purpose of using canon as a template to go that far off track.
Douglas Collier

Heh, if we really wanted to mess with things, we could send Mom off with the gun to take on ??? by herself. It could go three ways - she meets ??? and kills them; she gets killed (one less mouth to feed, though Dad might decide to get rid of the pups because of the loss of his wife); or Mom befriends ??? and possibly obtains a mutually beneficial agreement where ??? provides food for the family in exchange for a nice place to sleep.

I'm not recommending we do this, but it could certainly change up the game.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

FancyHat wrote:
Not A Furry wrote:right click > open image in new tab
I'm on a phone at the moment as interwebs is down for my computer, but thank you regardless.
Press and hold, then. It does the same thing.
CyberDragon wrote:Bear or mountain lion, either way that's not likely to be what is attacking Charley. Whatever left those tracks came and went. The only way for Charley to be down the right path with the large animal is if he was carried by it. If so, not only would he be taking major damage and not minor, but he would have also screamed at the appearance of a mega-fauna predator and woken up his brothers because the window was open.

The left path has the absolute highest chance of finding Charley.
Rain is loud. It's entirely reasonable to think that it would have drowned out a scream.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

OK, suppose the clawed animal got Charley and carried him down the right path. Why then is Charley taking steady minor damage? If the large animal grabbed him, why didn't it kill him as soon as they were out of view of the house? If it is taking him to its home first, why is Charley taking damage at all? Not to mention, the first time we see the notice he has taken damage was after Echo left out the window and Charley was already gone. If Charley was attacked as soon as he dropped down, we would have had the alerts and damage notifications as soon as Echo woke up.

We can't afford to chase every lead, nor investigate everything. We don't have time to get the parents. We don't know how much time Charley has left. The more turns we take, the lower our odds are. Ignore the claw marks, they are a red herring. See my original post for my reasons for believing that the left path is the best bet.
-Champion Motto

Douglas Collier

I'll bet that with all this confusion, Echo will just get the gun himself. :P
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Buster wrote:Regardless of what Echo does, we should send Bravo left.
still applies.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I do have to confirm that those particular prints you presented are indeed irrelevant. Any prints for the sentient animals or humans would be the ones in Housepets. AKA Generic 3 point cartoon paw and 4 fingered hand. Unless you are proposing this particular case goes beyond Dimension Prime :P
ImageImageImageImage
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Called it.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Well, based on what y'all have said, I've compiled a result that suits the average of multiple different categories of choices. However, some things aren't completely clear, so I'll give you another free turn to help you decide what to do given the current result:

-----------------------------------------

Echo: You're right, we need Mom and Dad's help! C'mon, we gotta go get them!

Bravo: No, you go get them, I'll keep looking for Charlie! If we both go we'll run the chance of losing Charlie, there must be something to go off of here. I'll get a head start, if I encounter that thing i can hold it off until you, Mom, and Dad get here! GET GOING!

Echo: Okay... please be careful Bravo, I don't want to lose you both!

Bravo: (We're not losing anyone... not now, not ever.)

1) Follow the Middle Path
2) Follow the Left Path
3) Follow the Right Path
4) Investigate the area
ImageImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

4) Investigate the area. Maybe he can pick up on something that Echo missed.
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

I think we should investigate the area more. It could help us determine the path Charlie went down.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Right path, I like to live dangerously
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I say we instigate the area.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I still say we already have enough information to figure out where Charley went. What is there left to investigate?
-Champion Motto

Lance316

Post by Lance316 »

I would say go down the middle but maybe there is something Echo missed. Investigate just in case.
What do we do now Lance?
We ascend from darkness.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Investigate. There's something we missed, I just know it.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

My previous instructions still stand.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

The left path seems the most likely, though I am still curious about that scent...

While I don't think we should take too much of a head start, I also don't think we have enough time to stay here. I say Bravo takes the left path.

FancyHat

Post by FancyHat »

I say we investigate a bit more, wait for mom and pop to come out, and take off down whichever path we can agree on.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

I'm with number 4, let's get the latest news about the paths from Bravo's point of view.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Alright, admittedly this may be taking a long time because A: the end of the semester is coming up so I've got a lot of work, and B: You're actually going down a route that only came up very rarely in my prediction calculations as to how you'd play this chapter. It's not one I couldn't foresee being possible, but it's one I really didn't expect to have to work out, and due to my lazy/busy nature it's been taking me longer to put what isn't completely planned out rather than the expected routes :lol: . It'll be interesting to see where you'll branch off to with how you're playing...
Douglas Collier wrote:4) Investigate the area. Maybe he can pick up on something that Echo missed.
HellishK9 wrote:I think we should investigate the area more. It could help us determine the path Charlie went down.
Saturn381 wrote:I say we instigate the area.
Lance316 wrote:I would say go down the middle but maybe there is something Echo missed. Investigate just in case.
Legotron123 wrote:Investigate. There's something we missed, I just know it.
FancyHat wrote:I say we investigate a bit more, wait for mom and pop to come out, and take off down whichever path we can agree on.
Render wrote:I'm with number 4, let's get the latest news about the paths from Bravo's point of view.
---------------------------

(I have to be sure I know where he is or at least what we're up against! I can't waste much time, but wandering around aimlessly doesn't have the best odds either!)

Upon inspecting the left path, you notice some disturbance in the grass, and a lot of disturbance in the bushes. Or at least, you think there might be something in the grass, it looks pretty normal to you. Your eyesight isn't the greatest. You can however see the puddles on the ground, they seem rather specifically shaped. Some seem to be shaped like paws, but a couple look like hands, four fingers specifically. You can't determine an accurate size, but you can tell they're pretty wide, it's definitely another animal. There is a hint of some kind of scent, but it's not lingering very much, making it hard to determine who it belongs to.

Upon inspecting the Middle Path, you notice a lot of disturbance in the mud, but little to no disturbance in the bushes. You assume these must be prints, but you can't make out the details. It's a path you and your family often travel down since it leads right to the lake, but wouldn't those prints have washed away in the rain? Someone has definitely been down this path recently, but they must have either had trouble getting through it or where rather indecisive about whether they should go down it. It's hard to say for sure, but it looks like the activity may have become less chaotic further down the road. There is a feint but familiar scent here. The rain makes it hard to tell, but also draws it out a bit more...

Upon inspecting the Right Path, you can't help but notice very deep prints in the ground, with a lot of disturbance in the bushes surrounding them. It seems there's three sets: two that are paw prints, one leading to the house and another leading away. Then there's a third also leading to the house, but the odd thing about this is that these prints are hand prints, not paw prints. Leaves are tossed about here and there, they look to mostly be from the surrounding bushes and a few from the local trees. There seems to be a small stump in the middle of the path. It looks like something snapped a small tree here, but where's the tree? Most notably, you can catch a rather strong scent in this area. This should be rather hard considering the rain, but you can clearly sense it. You know this scent, you've smelled it multiple times. But, all things considered, you still can't quite tell what it is. Perhaps you should see where the prints lead...

That's where you fell. Echo was right, something DID thrash the trashcan! It's ridiculous that someone even managed to do that, you're not even sure a trained police dog could do that! The trashbag is a bit worn, but it looks like it could take another landing. There's another unused one still remaining as well. To your right, you catch something metal laying on the ground from the corner of your eye. It looks like there might be prints near it as well...

The rain rages on, and begins to fall heavier...

You look in it's general direction to find the houses electrical box thingy exposed, the metal thing was the cover of said electrical box thingy. Judging by the dents on the left sides of both the cover and the box, you're positive someone pried it open with something. Could it have been that pole over there? It looks rather new, maybe it was the-- oh... well... you found the missing tree. Interestingly, the inside isn't anything out of the ordinary, or at least from the last time you saw it. Even then, it seems like it's a bit out of shape, a few things might be broken and there's tape holding certain things together. Maybe that's why the lights have been flickering inside?
There's definitely deep footprints, paw prints to be exact, directly in front of the box. This must be where they stood when prying the cover. It's hard to say, but there might be light footprints going to and from the box, in multiple directions. It seems they visited the wall twice: once the trashcan and another the box, then ran off in some direction.

But... why would an animal be trying to destroy your stuff??? Is it just some jerk feral trying to pull some kinda prank? And why your electricity of all things, that's really specific and really dangerous! This can't be some random act, whoever's doing this has an agenda...

There's nothing more to look at. Checking around further would just be a waste of time. You need to find Charlie soon. Whatever is out here is dangerous and is actively trying to harm your family.

You think you know where to go...

1) Follow the Middle Path
2) Follow the Left Path
3) Follow the Right Path
4) Pick up stick
5) Pick up rod
6) Break fuse box
ImageImageImageImage