Case: Housepets!-A Choose Your Own Adventure Game

For playing all sorts of silly I-don't-know-whats

Moderators: Render, ArcWolf

Llyrelated

Re: Case: Housepets!-A Choose Your Own Adventure Game

Post by Llyrelated »

Switch out the bags, then go down the right path.
“Brave words from a man not holding a squid”
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

Hey, let's plan this out before we go to action..this is a severely dangerous scenario, but yes, I agree we do need to swap the bag out...However, we also need to plan on how the heck we're going to find Charlie and stop whatever's after him..
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Llyrelated wrote:Switch out the bags, then go down the right path.
Do you maybe want to elaborate on your reasoning?

I think Echo should further inspect the metal thing, as it looks like there are indentations—possibly paw prints—around it, most likely belonging to either Charlie or the unknown animal. However, time is short and Echo definitely should make sure Bravo can get down safely. I say he calls up to Bravo.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
Llyrelated

Post by Llyrelated »

Sorry... I have reasoning, but part of it does sort of involve meta gaming. Anyway, it's clear something went down the right path. Both Charlie and ??? took damage simultaneously, meaning they are probably linked somehow. I would assume they went the same way. Perhaps it took Charlie? I don't know, but our best bet seems to be the right path. If Charlie was taken and is in danger, we need to get to him quickly.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i'm leaning more towards a big cat, I can't see a bear being that close to a house unless it's hungry, in which case why are the trash bags intact?

Also, the break in the bushes is likely how the unknown party entered the yard, not how it/they left. The fact that it was drawn with scattered leaves visibly coming from it would suit that too.

Making sure Bravo has a safe landing is important, but the duck path seems more likely to me. It's known territory that branches and winds, a good place to try and loose an assailant, and it feeds into the lake.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Llyrelated

Post by Llyrelated »

That's a good point. As far as we can tell the leaves do only seem to be scattered towards the house. Searching for prints is probably a better course of action.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Guys, we need to decide on a course of action. Indecision has caused problems for us before.

I'm going to go with securing Bravo's landing site and then calling for him. We can decide on what to do next when Bravo is safely on the ground.

I think having Bravo check for tracks while having Echo investigate the trash can would be the best use of time as our following course of action, though.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

4. By inspecting the paths we might know which path Charlie took, and while doing it Bravo might catch up with us !
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Lance316

Post by Lance316 »

Gbr23 wrote:4. By inspecting the paths we might know which path Charlie took, and while doing it Bravo might catch up with us !
I second this course of action.
What do we do now Lance?
We ascend from darkness.
Douglas Collier

Option 3, Option 4, Option 6, Option 7... Charlie's going to die if we don't pick one course of action. This is all going to be recorded as "you can't decide what to do" and valuable time will be wasted, and bad karma will be built.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Lance316

Post by Lance316 »

I wonder what Choako is going to do with all these mixed up votes.
What do we do now Lance?
We ascend from darkness.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I'm with lyle on the prints thing. find them and follow them.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Douglas Collier

Priorities first! Bravo might get hurt if he falls off the roof like we did if we don't reset the landing.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Do you guys think we should chain yet? Because, if we can all agree on a choice, I'd say chaining checking/fixing the bag, then checking the footprints.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Fixing bags and checking footprints sounds good.

On another note... I think I found where Bravo is derived from in the official comic.
Police dog on the left.
The eye-patch doggy has also appeared earlier in the arc, and at the wedding in The King & I.
Haven't found any origin for Echo yet tho.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

You people read me like a book, I swear :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Nice eye SuperStar! :D
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I swear i've seen a dalmation in uniform, in the old uniforms if it narrows it down, but i cant find it. i did find Mungo in the background during king's wedding while looking though.
FancyHat

Post by FancyHat »

We should also wake the parents up..Cause you know, WE HAVE PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO USE GUNS...And what we're fighting here is either a panther/mountain lion, large bobcat, Or black bear. ANY of these are deadly animals when spook or hungry enough and I don't think three pups are gonna stand a chance.We needs to prepare for bravp's jump by switching out the bag, but yell for him to get mom and pop because no way we can fight that thing ourselves, and then we all go out to save charlie! But so check the tracks cause that can and will help us identify what we dealing with.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Lance316

Post by Lance316 »

FancyHat wrote:We should also wake the parents up..Cause you know, WE HAVE PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO USE GUNS...And what we're fighting here is either a panther/mountain lion, large bobcat, Or black bear. ANY of these are deadly animals when spook or hungry enough and I don't think three pups are gonna stand a chance.We needs to prepare for bravp's jump by switching out the bag, but yell for him to get mom and pop because no way we can fight that thing ourselves, and then we all go out to save charlie! But so check the tracks cause that can and will help us identify what we dealing with.
I wouldn't say those big cats are what scratched up the garbage bin, yes those scratch marks are big but it could be a random cat or maybe Maple or Vial.
What do we do now Lance?
We ascend from darkness.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

FancyHat wrote:We should also wake the parents up.
no, we shouldn't. because:

A) that would take too long, and we're already wasting too much time.
B) these are the same people who were and as far as we know actively still are trying to get rid of Charlie, why would they help rescue him when they can easily accomplish their goal by making a token effort that does little more than waste time but looks genuine?
C) you're relying too much on real world logic. all animals in the HPU have at least some degree of sentience, bloodshed is not the only option.

Help Bravo land then get back to trying to track Charlie.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:B) these are the same people who were and as far as we know actively still are trying to get rid of Charlie, why would they help rescue him when they can easily accomplish their goal by making a token effort that does little more than waste time but looks genuine?
Cause they're not total psychos.
But I agree on the other 2 points.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Fun thing first:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:7) Switch Trashbags
I read Switch to Trashbacks and thought, "yeah let's play with the bags now!" xD

--

I think we should not run into any direction blindly. Before picking a path we should make as sure as possible it's the right one, otherwise we might lose more as the inspection of the path's would take.

But my vote goes to rearrange the bags to make a nice 'bed' for Bravo and call or howl for him to hurry.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

D-Rock wrote:Really, only a day?
You see what happens when I give ya more than a day to think? It gives me a day to procrastinate, leading me into a loop of avoiding doing it until I forget :lol:
Douglas Collier wrote:Option 3, Option 4, Option 6, Option 7... Charlie's going to die if we don't pick one course of action. This is all going to be recorded as "you can't decide what to do" and valuable time will be wasted, and bad karma will be built.
Something to note is this indecisiveness is only a thing that happens with Echo (as of right now) due to the way you've been playing him and my stupid sense of humor :lol: . However, I will be a bit more forgiving with this character trait, as it did stem from a joke. Then again everything that ever happens in the game should be kept of note, even jokes in some cases. It really mostly happens when there's a dead tie, since in that case a character would normally just decide for themselves instead of listening to the player, but in the case of Echo, he does frantic actions that are a conglomeration of what everyone said.
HellishK9 wrote:If Bravo is going to dive out the window after Echo, we better replace the trash bag (make sure it's soft).
CyberDragon wrote:AHHHHH! MY KNOWLEDGE OF GAME MECHANICS IS USELESS!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

Ok, ok. calming down. If Bravo follows out of the window, he will get hurt landing on the flattened bag. Maybe switch it out? that shouldn't take much time. I don't think we should go without Bravo. The yellow alert means a risk of injury, but not of loosing a character right now. Then again, that could change at any moment. But still, two seconds to call out to Bravo and switch the bags sounds safe enough. I'm guessing whatever made the claw marks went down the unknown right path, so we definitely should NOT go there.

I will cry if we loose Charley...
Llyrelated wrote:Switch out the bags, then go down the right path.
FancyHat wrote:Hey, let's plan this out before we go to action..this is a severely dangerous scenario, but yes, I agree we do need to swap the bag out...However, we also need to plan on how the heck we're going to find Charlie and stop whatever's after him..
Douglas Collier wrote:Priorities first! Bravo might get hurt if he falls off the roof like we did if we don't reset the landing.
Legotron123 wrote:Do you guys think we should chain yet? Because, if we can all agree on a choice, I'd say chaining checking/fixing the bag, then checking the footprints.
Buster wrote:
FancyHat wrote:We should also wake the parents up.
no, we shouldn't. because:

A) that would take too long, and we're already wasting too much time.
B) these are the same people who were and as far as we know actively still are trying to get rid of Charlie, why would they help rescue him when they can easily accomplish their goal by making a token effort that does little more than waste time but looks genuine?
C) you're relying too much on real world logic. all animals in the HPU have at least some degree of sentience, bloodshed is not the only option.

Help Bravo land then get back to trying to track Charlie.
Render wrote:Fun thing first:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:7) Switch Trashbags
I read Switch to Trashbacks and thought, "yeah let's play with the bags now!" xD

--

I think we should not run into any direction blindly. Before picking a path we should make as sure as possible it's the right one, otherwise we might lose more as the inspection of the path's would take.

But my vote goes to rearrange the bags to make a nice 'bed' for Bravo and call or howl for him to hurry.

You decide to swap out the flattened trashbag with a cushiony-full one. You certainly did a number on it, and if Charlie did the same, there's no way it'll support Bravo if he follows your lead. Speaking of Bravo, why hasn't he--

Bravo: ECHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAH!

Bravo: OOF!

Bravo flopped onto the trashbag safely!

Bravo: Urk... I'm wet, I'm disoriented, and I'm in a pile of trash! You better explain yourself real quick Echo! What's going on!? Where's Charlie?! He wasn't in his bed, where'd you say he was? AND WHY DID YOU NEED US TO ALMOST BREAK OUR NECKS?!

(Good, he's safe, but now what?!)
1) Explain the situation to Bravo in detail
2) Further inspect the metal thing
3) Inspect paths
4) Follow the Middle Path
5) Follow the Left Path
6) Follow the Right Path
7) Switch to Bravo
8) Howl for Charlie
9) Improvise
ImageImageImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I'm gonna go with option 1.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Option one, sort of: Explain the situation quickly, and I mean bullet points. Time is of the essence, but we need Bravo to have some clue as to what's going on.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'd inspect the paths to find tracks while explaining to bravo the situation. I know it's a chain, but it seems like a very basic and easy one. We don't have the time to explain in detail and THEN check the paths, but both are vital and both can be done at the same time.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

CyberDragon wrote:I'd inspect the paths to find tracks while explaining to bravo the situation. I know it's a chain, but it seems like a very basic and easy one. We don't have the time to explain in detail and THEN check the paths, but both are vital and both can be done at the same time.
Good point. We have an orange warning, so we probably shouldn't chain, BUT such a simple and easy chain shouldn't generate much bad karma at all.

Douglas Collier

I agree. Explain the situation to Bravo while looking for tracks,
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I'm going with DC. Explain the sitch (it's a Kim Possible reference) while looking for tracks.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Lance316

Post by Lance316 »

I'm going with 1 and 3. We can explain the situation and check the paths so we don't waste too much time.
What do we do now Lance?
We ascend from darkness.
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

I also agree on explaining the situation while looking for tracks.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

truncated explanation and get back to searching.

Also the caution sign doesn't seem to be a karma thing in this case. No matter what we've done it's steadily ticked down and then reset up to this point. it looks more like a timer that's counting down to the text 'Echo event'.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Buster wrote:truncated explanation and get back to searching.

Also the caution sign doesn't seem to be a karma thing in this case. No matter what we've done it's steadily ticked down and then reset up to this point. it looks more like a timer that's counting down to the text 'Echo event'.
The caution sign hasn't had anything to do with karma yet. It means at least one character is in danger; the level of danger is reflected by its colo(u)r.

FancyHat

Post by FancyHat »

...I am still sticking by the point we get the dad to get the gun...We can't fight off a large predator with PUPS..We get the gun, we follow the tracks, we find Charlie and whatever's after him, Send a few rounds down range and problem is solved. I know it's dark but sometime the most direct approach is the best approach. I know this isn't an option but this would be a fairly logical and sensible thing to attempt. To be honest whenever my dog barks loudly and growls at night. I almost always introduce whatever is out there to a lovely little box of .22, .30-30 or 20 Gauge..Not necessarily to kill but more or less anything in it's right mind turns tail and hauls it when the boomsticks come out to play. This is just me looking at it from my personal view and what I'd do in a situation like that where my dog is possibly going to be dragged off to be a predator's midnight snack...

In related news, I say we must explain to bravo whilst searching for tracks.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Douglas Collier

I dunno, a gun would probably just tick a predator off, and there's always the chance Charlie would get shot. I think three energetic pups splitting up and running would be sufficient to dodge the predator.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Saturn381 wrote:I'm gonna go with option 1.
Naro Rivers wrote:Option one, sort of: Explain the situation quickly, and I mean bullet points. Time is of the essence, but we need Bravo to have some clue as to what's going on.
Naro Rivers wrote:
CyberDragon wrote:I'd inspect the paths to find tracks while explaining to bravo the situation. I know it's a chain, but it seems like a very basic and easy one. We don't have the time to explain in detail and THEN check the paths, but both are vital and both can be done at the same time.
Good point. We have an orange warning, so we probably shouldn't chain, BUT such a simple and easy chain shouldn't generate much bad karma at all.
Douglas Collier wrote:I agree. Explain the situation to Bravo while looking for tracks,
Legotron123 wrote:I'm going with DC. Explain the sitch (it's a Kim Possible reference) while looking for tracks.
Lance316 wrote:I'm going with 1 and 3. We can explain the situation and check the paths so we don't waste too much time.
HellishK9 wrote:I also agree on explaining the situation while looking for tracks.
FancyHat wrote:...I am still sticking by the point we get the dad to get the gun...We can't fight off a large predator with PUPS..We get the gun, we follow the tracks, we find Charlie and whatever's after him, Send a few rounds down range and problem is solved. I know it's dark but sometime the most direct approach is the best approach. I know this isn't an option but this would be a fairly logical and sensible thing to attempt. To be honest whenever my dog barks loudly and growls at night. I almost always introduce whatever is out there to a lovely little box of .22, .30-30 or 20 Gauge..Not necessarily to kill but more or less anything in it's right mind turns tail and hauls it when the boomsticks come out to play. This is just me looking at it from my personal view and what I'd do in a situation like that where my dog is possibly going to be dragged off to be a predator's midnight snack...

In related news, I say we must explain to bravo whilst searching for tracks.
---------------------------------

You need to hurry, but you don't know which road to go down exactly. It's best to quickly examine each road before continuing the search. In this time, you decide to fill Bravo in on what's going on.

Echo: Okay okay, I woke up and found Charlie out of his bed. The window was wide open, it wasn't before we went to bed--

Bravo: Did you check anywhere in the house?! How do you know he's not still inside?! Do Mom and Dad know?!

Upon inspecting the left path, you notice some disturbance in the grass, and a lot of disturbance in the bushes. If the disturbance in the grass are prints, it's difficult to determine who or what they may belong do. They seem rather recent though, it'd be impossible to see these had these been made from much longer ago. Considering the lack of pressure put in these locations, the person must have either been treading around this path rather fast, or they were rather light.

Echo: I wasn't gonna risk wasting time! But, I can tell Charlie might have left through the window cause the trashbag I landed on had already been flattened a bit! And we really gotta hurry! There's something else out here Bravo, and I think Charlie went after it-- or maybe it's after him!

Bravo: Dang it-- WHY?! Why would he chase after something on his own, that's not like him! What would that prove?! And how do you know somethings even out here?

Upon inspecting the Middle Path, you notice a lot of disturbance in the mud, but little to no disturbance in the bushes. It's impossible to tell if the prints are fresh or not, there's too many of them, all varying in size, shape, and depth. It's a path you and your family often travel down since it leads right to the lake, but wouldn't those prints have washed away in the rain? If these really are all recent prints, there could be a lot more people or creatures lurking around than you initially thought...

Upon inspecting the Right Path, you notice very deep prints in the ground, with a lot of disturbance in the bushes surrounding them. It seems there's three sets: two that are paw prints, one leading to the house and another leading away. Then there's a third also leading to the house, but the odd thing about this is that these prints are hand prints, not paw prints. Leaves are tossed about here and there, they look to mostly be from the surrounding bushes and a few from the local trees. There seems to be a small stump in the middle of the path. Was some sort of plant here? Perhaps a bush or a small tree? Most notably, you can catch a feint scent in this area, unlike the other paths. This should be rather hard considering the rain. The scent is unfamiliar, yet oddly still somewhat familiar at the same time. You've certainly never smelled this exact scent before, but it's the type of scent that is recognizable. You just don't know what it is exactly due to the intrusion of the rain.

Echo: I DON'T KNOW! There's claw marks in the trash can, and there's fresh tracks near the house-- AND OVER ON THE PATHS TOO! Even if there's a chance of Charlie actually being safe, I'm not gonna risk it! He had a rough day, no doubt he's going through a lot of emotions! Maybe he ran away... I don't know Bravo-- I DON'T KNOW!

Bravo: Dang it-- CARP! I should have kept my cool back there! It's my fault he's doing this, it has to be!

>Bravo barely believed you!

Bravo: Look you're right, he's gotta be out here. But whether he's here or not, we're all in danger out here. We find it now, either we stop it from hurting Charlie or it stops us!.. No--no we gotta stop it NOW. Whoever or whatever this freak is, I aint letting it hurt Charlie, OR ANY OF US. Doing nothing would just put us in danger later!

Echo: But what are we supposed to do if we find it?! IT RIPPED THROUGH A TRASHCAN!

Bravo: WHATEVER WE CAN! Dang it man-- LOOK! If we find it, or it finds us, and Charlie isn't around, we run. We get Mom and Dad, they'll call the police or... I don't know maybe Dad will take care of it himself! He's super strong dude, he said so! Maybe he can take it! But if we find Charlie and it IS there... if he's there we gotta do whatever we can to keep it away from him man. If you get the chance just take him and go, I'll hold it off!

What will you do? (You cannot chain this decision)
1) Both follow the Middle Path
2) Both follow the Left Path
3) Both follow the Right Path
4) Split up, take two paths (Select the path for each character)
5) Split up, one follows a path, the other stays to investigate further (Select the path and what to investigate. Can decide character to control after without use of turn)
6) Split up, one follows a path, the other goes to get Mom and Dad (Select the path. Can decide character to control after without use of turn)
7) Both Investigate the area (Select each area to investigate)
8) Both get Mom and Dad
ImageImageImageImage
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

That's a lot of information to process. I can't decide.
But uh... maybe Charlie got chased back to the house by the predator?
I'm going to send one charging down the right path and the other to stay and investigate the area.
Last edited by HellishK9 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Okay, so we're sort of controlling both right now...

The danger level has decreased, so I guess that's a good thing.

More damage isn't good, but we've seen that a character can take two minor hits before going down.

There's strength in numbers, so splitting up isn't a good idea. At the same time, if one of them goes to get Mom and Dad,
they might be of help. Maybe they can't keep Charlie, but they're not heartless; I'm sure they'll help with the search and adult humans are much more formidable than a pair of pups.

I want to find Charlie as soon as possible, but I think we'll have better luck if the parents are there. I say Echo investigates the metal thing while Bravo rushes to get the parents.

Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I say we go with option 6.