A Pirates' word

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Welsh Halfwit

Re: A Pirates' word

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

FORTY

Zero.

“Anything on sensors, Kurmak,” Gallen asked carefully, self consciously keeping his voice down as though the hidden enemy could hear them.
The Feline tapped away at icons on his display and frowned. “Not at the moment, sir,” he reported. “If I didn’t know we’d recently done a full systems check and patch on these sensors, I’d begin to suspect it was glitching. But they’re not.”
“Better be sure on that.”
“I was the one running all the checks, sir.”
“Janus,” Savra asked, “see anything?”
Janus looked up at the screen and surveyed the related picture with his keen eyes. “Wouldn’t like to say no with any certainty, Captain,” he said unhelpfully.
“Merran, make sure the fighters are at launch stations,” Savra told the Mican. “Hear anything, boy?”
“Uh, faint interference,” Dastari remarked. “It keeps starting and stopping…”
Merran, after quickly checking on the fighter pilots, turned her ear to what Dastari was listening to. “Sir,” she said aloud, “just listening into what Barnabus was hearing. It sounds like we’re picking up the energy waves given off by short range communications.”
“Explain that like I don’t know what you mean, Mouse.”
“Someone may be sending very low power communications over about a hundred kilometres.”
“Back and fore?”
“Can’t tell. At this range it’s like they’d all be from the same spot. Of course we could be detecting messages sent a week ago that’s passed the distance.”
“Get a bearing.”
“Sending it to Kurmak and Janus now, sir.” She winced as she sent the messages.
“You OK,” Dastari whispered.
“Far from OK, Barnabus,” she replied, “but I’ll survive.” She ruffled his headfur. “Attend your duty, kid.”

Janus took the information sent to him from the communications station and used it to adjust the screen display so he could watch the concerning area.
“Gallen,” Savra commanded slowly, “tell the fighters to launch but stay behind the asteroid. Let our image and the asteroids’ swamp them on sensors. He expertly kept the ship in place without really looking as the fighters exited the ship and immediately cut their engines after making sure they were clear of their compatriots. He blinked one eye, then the other. He furrowed his brow. Was that..? He zoomed in on one particular section.
“Something there,” Savra asked.
“Figure so,” Janus remarked.
“Plot it. Zoom out. Focus on the wrong thing…”
“We might miss the real. Right, sir.”
“Never finish my sentences, Janus.”
“Aye, sir.” Janus pulled it back out as Hastur plotted the line between the initial point of possible contact and where Janus had just focussed.
“Wouldn’t we see the fighters by now,” Dastari whispered to Merran.
“Not if they stay behind the cloaked ship, Barny,” she replied. “They’ll stay as invisible until they come in front.”
“Oh,” Dastari remarked, wondering why he hadn’t thought of that.

“I saw that,” Janus said intently as something caught his expert eye. “Just a flash but I saw it. I think something slipped position.”
“You’re right,” Savra intoned. “Something reflected out there. Let’s let them think we’re unaware. Fighters are facing the opposite way to us so we’re covered. Marran, tell Sandford we’ve seen the enemy. Copy the enemy idea. The asteroid should hide the pulses.” He shrugged. “Probably.”
“Aye.” The Mican sent the message as Kurmak watched over.
“Picking up several energy traces now,” the Feline warned.

Virrik had her protective gear on as she entered Speight’s room. She took his bed by the handles and started pushing it towards another room. “Where… where are you tak...taking me?”
“Work I’ve done on you,” Virrik replied casually, “I don’t want wasted. I need the room, the bed and you in a safe place. So you’re going into a stasis drawer for now. I’m going to flash freeze you until the fun’s done.”
He vainly tried to fight his way off the bed but couldn’t move as she moved to open a door. “I don’t… don’t want to b...be in stasis…”
“Good job I don’t take orders from you, then, isn’t it?” She shook her head inside the hood as she stepped back around to the bars and pushed the freighter Captain back down. “All those Doctors who don’t do the work they can do simply because the patient is too stupid and scared to want it. How do they sleep at night, I wonder?” She pushed the bed into what appeared to be a closet with items on shelves that looked distressingly like internal organs to Speight. “Don’t worry about those,” she said. “Or this process. It’s not generally recommended for the living but it’s better than being out there, trapped in a bed, as the ship gets into combat. So here you are. Little something to stop you panicking,” she added, injecting something into his arm to relax him. “That’s illegal on a lot of planets too. They always place ethics over medical prurience. I do what’s best for you, regardless of your own wishes.” She waited until it seemed to have taken effect. “The stasis will kick in after I close the door,” she added, stepping away and starting to close the door behind her as Speight swore at her. “See you in a moment, Captain.” She sealed the door and he swore int…

“OK,” Savra said, “That’s enough. Battle alert. Bring us around on attack pattern Cobra. Let’s go greet our hunter!”
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This is getting more interesting! I love how this is going!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

FORTY-ONE

Hastur opened fire before the enemy did, a factor Savra chose not to comment on as he watched the effect. The energy sped across the void and kept on going, with the exception of a portion of the port side beam. That fizzed and cracked against something and the Captain watched as she readjusted her aim. Fighters spiralled from behind the stealth field and started scratching the Kerbal’s shielding.

“Shield’s holding,” Pantha told Vatrick as the engineering chief worked on doling out assignments. “Your alterations to the systems seems to be an improvement.”
“Such hollow endorsement,” Vatrick shot back. “Saw the patch you did on the power core,” he added. “Not bad. I’d have got around to it when I had the chance.”
“Good job there’s two of us now, eh? Suggest you send someone to the bridge, boss.”
“It’s hardly a pri…”
“It’ll be a priority as soon as something happens,” Patha advised. “Someone on station can deal immediately.”
Vatrick nodded after freezing for a second. “Good point. Techrat?”
“Yes, sir,” the Mican asked, realising his name had been called.
“Go to the bridge,” The Coydog ordered “Take up a station there.”
The Mican swallowed. It was both an honour to be chosen and totally terrifying to be working so close with the Captain and… the whip. But he supposed he’d better hurry.
“We make a good team,” Pantha remarked, before cursing herself for admitting it.
“Only if I’m in the lead,” Vatrick replied flippantly.
“Oh, I intend to lead.” Pantha batted the Coydog’s nose. “Eventually.”
Vatrick decided he was going to enjoy the challenge. For a time. Then he’d work on destroying her. But that would be later.

Techrat arrived on the bridge at a run and almost collided with Kurmak, the science Officer putting a hand out backwards to stop the Rodent from hitting him or the console. He removed his face from the palm and looked at the scene outside as the Kerbal fired at seemingly nothing that was firing back at them. He took a breath. He’d heard they’d been working with stolen stealth panels and here was the invisible proof of it. He heard the science Officer say that the anomaly – whatever that was – was coming from precise co-ordinates and he was going to link in to Janus’ panel so the swift could put it on screen. He gulped as the ship shook heavily. Three of the cameras shook but held. He wished the ship was standing still, of course. The image changed as he took the station next to the Mican who still smelled of surgical spirits and he saw a patch of dark grey against the black. It was about a hundred foot square, he supposed, although he had nothing to judge it against. It was certainly much bigger than the shuttle they’d coated.
“Targetting,” Hastur told everyone, although she felt everyone would have guessed anyhow. She fired and the bolts of energy impacted the shields.
“Their shields appear to be holding,” Kurmak reported as the ship shook again. “Ours are at eighty percent.”
“Gallen,” Savra remarked, “get on the starboard anti fighter guns and help out our fighters. Clear them a path to add their firepower on that spot. Janus, get us in behind them as best you can.”
“Uh, how,” Janus asked.
“Thermal scans, boy! They’re on thruster engines, same as…” he shuddered as the room vibrated under assault. “Same as ours. They’re using power…”
“On it.” Janus cursed himself. He should have thought of that. The ship may be shrouded but it was still running on the same sort of engines as theirs. They could hide their physical sense but not their thermal. Their engines burned fuel, same as any. Should mean a few degrees… There. The Swift made his adjustments and the ships swapped a barrage as they passed, the less powerful automatic side weapons stitching fire for all they were worth. Which, in the Kerbal’s case, wasn’t that much as far as the Captain could see. He hoped they’d timed this right as they might be in trouble if he’d got this wrong.
“Shields at 60 and dropping,” Kurmak told them, before transferring shield generation power from starboard to port a second before Savra ordered him to.
“I… er, I can hear something,” Dastari told Marrin.
She listened in. “Could be damage to the receivers,” she mused. “Or they could be doing a low frequency scan of the ship. Looking for… Captain, we’re transmitting? From, uh, the interrogation area?”
Savra slapped his arm rests. “Kurmak, get a teleport Jammer up in that area!”
“On it!”
“Then make it appear that we have a shield breach somewhere close by. So they can beam in.” The Captain slapped his comm. “Rawton!”
<”Yes, my Captain,”> the Lappinean replied.
“We’re about to have people try to rescue the fellow we’re interrogating. Take whoever and stop them. I want one alive.”
<”Kill the rest,”> the Lappinean laughed, a sound that made half the bridge crew shudder. <”I didn’t know it was my birthday!”>
Savra cut the line. He had nothing more to say.

The team of four arrived in a passageway that was, obviously, deserted by purpose rather than chance and they started down the way, following the trace on their padd. They followed it past closed doors to the one they wanted. The Canine in the squad overrode the door controls with a blaster shot and the door hissed open. He stepped back involuntarily as a blade spun out of the darkened room and impacted in his upper chest. The others were distracted by a guard firing from one of the rooms they’d passed as Rawton appeared from the darkness with punch daggers flashing as he put one in a Vixens chest and the other under her jawline. He grinned wickedly at the effect it had on her. The remaining assailant, unsure what to do, chose to surrender. Rawton continued to grin as he advanced on the surrendering Lappinean. The target turned to run and found herself facing the other guard. “Captain wanted one alive,” that self same guard indicated, making Rawton scowl. He snorted, then went in low,, severing the tendons behind the Lappieans knees. The Lappinean cried out and fell forward.
“She’s alive,” the spattered Rawton observed as the guard caught the assailant. “And she ain’t doing any running soon, neither. Wonder what the Captain wants her for?” He stalked off, leaving the guard to apply first aid and get the captive to a cell.

(I don't know why I chose to save that character. But she's useful... Not in this story, mind.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can't wait to see what happens next! Keep it up!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And mention is made of which ship is coming... I like having prior characters make cameos.

FOURTY-TWO

“I don’t get,” Gallen said, commenting whilst trying to concentrate on not hitting his own fighters, “why you told Rawton to take…” He paused as his shots screeched off the shielding of one fighter and damaged the engines of another. “Why you wanted him to take one…” He shuddered as another shot hit their shields and shook the ship. “I’ll get this line out if it kills me,” he grunted. “Why you told him to take one alive, sir.”
Savra sniffed. “I needed to see if he could follow orders is all. Plus two prisoners are worth more than one to the council.” He sniffed slightly. “We need to make some cash back from this.” The ship shook again. “To offset damages.”
PackRat pulled himself out from under Kurmak’s science console, where he’d been working to bypass some damaged circuitry and get the scanners back up to scratch. “How’s that,” he asked the feline.
“I no longer want you eviscerated,” the Feline replied with a comical scowl.
Packrat pulled himself up to his full height and looked the officer in the naval. “I’ll take that as a win,” he advised. He headed over to another console as it sparked.
“Are we OK,” Dastari asked Marrin nervously. “I heard that consoles explode..?”
“Nah,” Marran said, “Captain took the upgrade for bridge consoles a month back. We brought back a rock and…”
“Enough potted history,” Savra told them. “Minds on the work, people.”
“Got more incoming,” Kurmak advised. “Central area, near medical.”
Savra slapped his comm. “Repel boarders in central,” he ordered. “Kurmak, get those shields back up.”
“How are they beaming through our shields,” Hastur asked.
“Probably relaying the signals through their fighters,” Janus responded, doing his best to keep the ship close behind an enemy he couldn’t actually see that was constantly trying to get behind them.
Hastur had to admit that made sense. She fired again. Her fire spacked against the shields, giving her a target to concentrate on. “Any clue as to if we’re actually doing damage, Kurmak,” she asked.
“Assume we are until we know we’re not and focus,” Savra ordered.

<“Got a conduit blown on three,”> an engineer reported to Vatrick over the comms.
“Seal off that sector and I’ll reroute the flow from here,” the Coydog replied, before heading over to the required console and finding Pantha was already there, carrying out the operation. “When did you learn the layout of the ship,” he demanded, almost humorously.
“When I was plotting escape routes from the ship,” Pantha answered honestly, glancing up at the schematic a few times whilst tapping instructions on the console. “Now I’m not escaping,” she added, “I’m putting knowledge to the use it’s meant for is all.”
“Good,” Vatrick explained, shortly before a console to the left blew and he hurried over with a pitifully small fire extinguisher. “My work is never done,” he called out.
“Privateers don’t say thanks,” Patcha grinned, recalling what Barnabus had told her. The grin dipped as she realised she was thinking of her boy again. And he was Barnabus now. She completed her job, trying not to worry about him.

One of the new intruders appeared several feet away from the others and looked around for clues as to where he was. From the beds he deduced he was in the medical bay but it seemed to be locked. That, he considered, wasn’t normal for a medical bay. They usually kept the doors open, even in fights, to take on wounded. And there were usually… As he reached out to open the door, a knife flew, straight into his hand, from the other side of the room. He cried out as a Brockian, a thick set, heavy female, moved into the room, flashing a beam scalpel that cut into the back of his other hand as he tried to pull his gun to bear. He lost the use of his fingers as the beam cut them free, cauterizing the wounds as they went. His attacker scowled as the power pack gave out before she could use it to slice through his leg. “Human, eh,” she remarked. “Good.” She took another knife from a sheath, a rather ornately handled thing. “I could do with some parts.” She advanced on him.

Fluid felt the blood on her face as her assailant cut it with a blade. Her own dagger was across the floor in the thigh of a Canine and she was really wanting it back right now. She hopped backwards and grabbed at the arm as it sliced past, taking it by the wrist. She altered her body weight and her footing and tried to throw her opponent, using his own momentum against him. It didn’t quite work as, although he dropped the knife, he was able to punch the back of her head. She staggered as he did. More so, in fact. An energy bolt cut through the tip of her ear and his forehead as Pantha’s former guard fired from the floor. Fluid rather regretted her instinctual release giving the team the initial advantage as she couldn’t do that again for a while. But that was for later. She picked her knife back from its’ impromptu holster, letting it bleed profusely as the guard got up. “I need to go help others,” the guard gruffed. “You going to be good, Fluid?”
Fluid nodded, knowing she’d need to treat herself with a sealant to stop the blood into her eyes. She blinked and made to find one.

The bridge crunched under another impact and Kurmak reported the shields were down on the port side. It was clear engineering were diverting power from life support to get them back up but, even then, they’d be at twenty percent maximum. But Savra wasn’t hearing that. He was watching the viewscreen and smiling, the visage twisted by his scarring into something almost haunting. Hastur was through the shielding. The last visual spectacular had been an explosion, he was certain of that. “Position of the Fallir?”
“Huh,” Kurmak said before figuring out it was him being talked to. He checked the logs. “According to logs, they should be here in five minutes. Unless they’re delayed.”
“Lets hope they’re not,” Savra grumped. Kurmak reported a decompression in the fighter bays as Savra watched the damage his ship was doing to the…
“Incoming,” Kurmak advised. “Intruders on the bridge!”
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I like it when you have prior characters make cameos also. Any chance we can get Hawle involved for obvious reasons? He's my favorite. And his face is good at catching pastries! :mrgreen:
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And now... Peace, love and understanding!

What, you were expecting violence?

FORTY-THREE

“Switch to automatic,” Savra commanded quickly as people started arriving in the middle of the bridge. Six of them. Three Felines, a Celican and two Canine. Marran directed Dastari under the console and slid him a blade to use if needed. Hastur switched to automatic firing, swung herself up to her feet and pivoted to put her fist straight into the face of one of the Felines, knocking him straight off his feet and onto his tail as Savra lashed out with his whip. To his surprise, the Celican caught the energy trail around his hand and withstood the pain. Adapting quickly, Savra pulled it back towards him, bringing the individual with it. He fired off a backhand blow to stun the individual as the assailant pulled out his knife.

Kurmak shucked his claws and took on one of the felines headed for Marran as Techrat tried his best to keep out of the way. He wasn’t foolish enough to get involved in a fight with people bigger than him. He appreciated the fact that they were all using melee weapons as it kept actual damage to a minimum. Well, mechanical damage anyhow. He watched as Kurmak slashed five gashes across the face of the female he was fighting. She, on the other paw, had driven one of her hands in like a knife under his ribs, her natural curved blades pulling jagged rips in his side as the third feline headed for Marran again, seeing only a wounded Mouse that needed killing. He advanced on her as Janus did his best to keep driving and ignoring people fighting loudly around him. Gallen had one of the Canines in hand, crushing his throat with his enhanced grip until the assailant gurgled his last and hung there, trapped on Gallens’ fingers. He had to grimace and concentrate to pull the fingers free and the figure dropped as Kurmak felt claws rake his leg.

Marran ducked away from the incoming blow and winced as the effort of putting a punch into the Feline’s kidneys almost opened up her wound again, at least in her mind. Her back seemed to screech pain into her mind and lessened the effect of her blow as she subconsciously pulled the blow. He slashed at her face. She rode the blow but still took several cuts across her face and head, making her cry out as she fell backwards onto her console. He advanced on her and readied to strike, only to yell out as Dastari attacked his legs, driving the borrowed blade into his tendons with a hint of mania, pulling the blade out and back in three times before he dropped to the floor and swung a set of claws at the boy. Marrans’ hand held the blow back long enough, gripping the hand by the wrist until Barnabus had backed away. The Feline put the other hand to the side of her head and ripped claws through her temple before Marran took her blade from the leg Dastari had left it in and plunged it into the Feline’s chest. She took a second or two to listen to his final breath so he didn’t die alone before she picked her blade back out.

Savra felt the blood on his nose and smiled to unnerve the opponent he’d chosen. A strong Celican youth, it seemed. Slightly capable but too eager. Not a student of Sigrit’s Art of the hunt, it seemed. His punches were strong but obvious and… Here came another one now. He sidestepped, grasped the wrist to keep the arm outstretched, and brought his elbow down hard onto the exposed Cubital Fossa. The youth yelped and, on impulse, came forward as his arm contracted around the blow. Savra moved his free hand to the back of the fellows neck, released his grip on the wrist and propelled him forward into his seat.

Hastur turned her attention from the broken Feline fighter to the remaining Canine as the ship shuddered under fire. No-one was dealing with the hull breaches on several lower decks and she was too busy to see the bodies on the viewscreen or the dagger in the back of Janus’ chair, something which he’d definitely have felt if his chair hadn’t been re-enforced. She didn’t see Techrat tying his little console into the main science station to get power back to the shields to prevent re-enforcements being brought in. She had just to wait, she reckoned, as she dodged his knife thrust. Knife fighting she always considered to be a defensive fight. After all, an experienced fighter knew that, if you attack with a knife, you automatically come within range of your opponent. She chopped down at his exposed arm as he went, knocking the blade away from his hand before he had a chance to react. She threw him onto her console, put a hand behind his head, the other on his jawline and snapped his neck with a powerful twist. He fell against Janus, who voiced his displeasure and pushed him away. “See,” he told her,” there’s no class to that.”
“You have a dagger in your chair,” she told him, before turning to see Savra with his opponent on his knees, Savra’s boot on his back and the whip around his neck, scorching the flesh as Savra pulled it tighter, ever tighter. The protests began to slacken and fall off as the energy scorched the targets head until his hands fell away and Savra let him drop to the floor before kicking the neck viciously to make sure. He picked the still sizzling corpse up by the waist and threw it into the middle of the bridge, away from his chair. He sat back down. “Get a medic up here, Then more security to where ever they’re needed,” he told Marran. “Hastur, back to the day job. Boy?”
Dastari looked up and hoped the Captain hadn’t noted the red pools mixing with distinctly amber fluids close to him. “Hmm,” he said absently.
“Good job. Barnabus.”
“Thank you, sir,” he replied shakily as Marran made the call.
“The shields are back up, to about ten percent,” Kurmak said hoarsely, holding onto his station to stay upright as Techrat decided to act like a third rate medical technician and started to try and treat the Feline’s wounds with the medical items he tended to have on him. Kurmak decided that he might as well let the Rodent try. It was better than bleeding to death. “Figure that’s down to Techrat here,” he finished. “Sensors are barely functioning, though. We have five fighters left and we’ve done severe damage to the enemies’ engines and starboard weapons systems.”
“I want that ship close to destruction before that clipper gets here, Hastur. Void her.” He reached into his own mouth, where one of the blows had struck, and pulled one of his own teeth out, throwing it onto the body in front of him. “Kurmak, get me the butchers’ bill from all departments.”
“Aye.”
Savra watched, tasting the blood in his mouth, as more of the enemy ship became visible.

Incoming fire scrammed the damaged Kerbals’ nose, striking as the shielding dropped again to fire through and drawing bodies like blood from the ruptured hull.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I highly doubt that there will be any of what you said in a story like this though. :P It still is a great chapter regardless!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

As Merran can attest, Savra DOES care about his crew(!)

FORTY-FOUR

Janus fancied himself the hero here. A pilot of less skill than him – that is to say, absolute brilliance – would have had trouble keeping in behind a target keeping in behind a ship they couldn’t see properly but he, genius that he was, had managed to focus on the task completely. He’d ignored the bangs and crashes that almost overloaded his hears. He’d bravely ignored all the fighting going on just behind his head and the fear he’d had as the knife smacked into the back of his chair. He’d only flinched slightly, drawing his feet up onto the chair to make him less of a target. He knew Hastur would save his life, she liked him enough to do that, and possibly a bit more but that was for later. Passion was one pursuit where Janus was quite happy to be the pursuer, not the pursued. He wasn’t trying to lose her but gain her and he couldn’t do that if leading in the chase. He was thinking too much. He corrected to starboard, eleven o’clock low, to compensate for the new aspect the foe was presenting. The few seconds difference exposed the underside of the front to the side weapons of the vessel and they scrammed the face of the Kerbal, cracking against the hull a few floors down. He heard Hastur swear to his left as the reverberations must have come through the floor

At the back of the bridge, a medical nurse treated Merrans' wounds, dabbing them with an antiseptic gel to ensure nothing from dirty claws caused an infection and running a bonding agent to seal them up again as Merran complained. “If I don’t get these sorted now,” the medic informed her, “you’re going to have a problem seeing, Merran.” She leaned in closer. “You might have to see ‘you know who’ to get it sorted.”
Merran sighed. “I suppose you’d better get on with it.”
“Uh, Mr Captain, sir,” Dastari squeaked, holding the headphones on like he expected them to fall off at a moment’s notice.
“What, boy?”
“Someone’s calling us, uh, sir. It’s, uh, not the people we’re shooting at.”
“Put ‘em through, audio only”
Dastari looked around for the switch but Merran got there first, reaching over and flicking a toggle.
“This is Captain…” He paused as the ship rocked again. “Savra of the Kerbal. Who is this?”
<”You again,”> said a voice Savra thought he knew. <”This is the U.S.C. Fallir, Lieutenant Commander Grovan in command. You are ordered to cease fire immediately.”>
“Happily,” Savra said, visibly crossing his fingers. “We’re a freighter, same as last time. The other ship is a stealth cruiser belonging to Calavix. They attacked us because we’re carrying someone they want dead. We end this, you can have him. AND a prisoner they were holding who won’t survive without further medical assistance. Savra out.” He ended the call
“Didn’t we meet the Fallir a few weeks ago,” Gallen asked. “That thing with the rock?”
Savra nodded. “Why do you think I wanted to intercept this one? Janus, as soon as the Council boat arrives, our enemy will try to leave. Keep us behind those engines so Hastur can destroy them.”
“Wilco, boss,” the Swift replied as Hastur reached over and pulled the knife from the back of his chair, turning the chair with the effort. He readjusted it. “Just keep firing,” he advised. “Thing you’re best at.”
Hastur thought about slapping his chair into a spiral but decided against it. They were running low on power to forward weapons anyhow, energy being diverted to force fields to keep the atmosphere in at pivotal positions and life support and shields and… well, other things they needed energy for. Possibly the doors and life support. Not like she was an engineer, was it? The cannons were down to about forty percent strength and they were barely damaging the hull now, as best she could tell. This was why she wasn’t aiming at the hull but the areas they’d exposed when they’d had more firepower. She wasn’t truly happy about it but it was their best chance of damaging the ship. They had shielding back up but it was failing and stretched beyond effectiveness now. It had been a close run thing, she supposed, but it was al… Oh, yeah, keep firing. She pushed the thoughts to one side and rapid fired the weapons.

“Uh, Mister Grovan called again, Captain Savra, sir,” Dastari said. “He said ‘Okay.”
“Right,” Savra said, “Gallen, go get that prisoner we just took and take him or her to the teleport room. Prime them first. Barnabus, go with the medic here and take your dad to the same place. Marran, stop dying and call the Doctor to get Speight out of the deep freeze and into her encounter suit.”
“Aye, Captain,” Merran replied, taking over Dastari’s station and duties as the others complied with orders.

Virrik growled with annoyance as the call interrupted her initial work on what made the Human tick. Before she’d assisted it in stopping, of course. She’d jabbed him with a paralysing poison made from several of the ointments she had lying about the bay before she’d stripped him down to his really quite offensively visible skin and strapped him to a bed and now she was going to have to let him lie there. Still, it wasn’t like he could move, was it? She ambled over and got into her onesie, using the magnetic zip to do it up at the back after getting her tail in. She put her helmet on and activated the speaker. “I’ll be back with you shortly, Gerald,” she said, having decided that was a good name for her pet. She felt he’d make a good assistant. After a little work of course. But that was for later. She waddled over to the stasis chamber and turned the field off, releasing the needed power back into the system. She opened the door as he got back to swearing at her. “Seems it’s done,” she told him. “You’ve survived. Your Council saviours have arrived. Now shut up, your boy’s on his way to escort you to safety.” She wheeled the trolley out to the main room. “Yes, it’s a Human. Yes, it’s got no fur. Well, nearly no. Stop staring. You’ll make him embarrassed.”
The door opened and she pushed the trolley, complete with patient, out as the medic stepped in. “Best of luck to you,” she added before the door closed. She removed the hood as the medic looked at her prisoner. “Oh, it wanted to kill me,” she remarked. “I want to run tests on the prefrontal cortex. Reduce it’s will to zero, so to speak.”
The medic sighed. “The Captain will never let you keep a pet, Doctor. He’ll judge it a slave and he kills slavers out of hand.”
Virrik looked forlorn. She sighed. “I suppose you’re right. I’ll just have to kill it after all.”
The medic put their pack away, then paused. “If you were going to do a brain operation, Doctor,” he asked, “why is he naked?”
Virrik shrugged. “So I chose to explore biology at the same time. I can multi-task, you know?” She took out her scalpel.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The kind of caring that I can get behind! Hope Virrik knows what she is doing.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

There's enough blood here to make Dracula flinch.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

At least they will have it if they need more blood at some point though. :geek:
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And the final part.

FORTY-FIVE

“Want to slow down,” Captain Speight asked Dastari as the boy tried to move quickly along the passages. “Might be the last chance we get to talk for a few months.”
Dastari slowed up. “I…” He swallowed. “I don’t want you to die, dad,” he said quietly.
“Pretty sure I don’t…” He coughed a laugh. “Pretty sure I don’t want to either, Da...Barnabus.” Painfully, he shifted onto his side to look at his son. “I’m always going to be thinking of you as Dastari, y’know?”
Barnabus smiled. “I think I’d like that, dad.”
“And we should have told you,” Captain Speight admitted. “but it became too hard the older you got.” He coughed again. “I’m sorry, son.”
Barnabus took a couple of breaths. “I… I know, dad,” he said heavily. “Miss Hastur explained it a little. I… don’t think I can, um, forgive just yet,” he continued, recalling the line Hastur had advised him to say, “but I can understand it.” Another half smile. “And I’ll forgive. In a bit. You… you gotta be there for that, right,” he asked, his eyes betraying his concern
“That’s my plan,” Speight replied. “And the Captain’s given me the comm frequency so I can call him and tell him how to contact me when settled.” He lifted an arm to put it atop Barnabus’ shoulder. “I’ll keep in contact, Barnabus…”
“I love you, dad,” Barnabus said, trying to keep his emotions in check.
“And I you,” the Captain replied, letting Barnabus come in closer for a chaste kiss before he started pushing the trolley again, heading for the teleport bay.

Pollit glared at him as he entered the teleport bay but, this time, Barnabus didn’t flinch back from the Feline. He wasn’t afraid this time. He’d gotten to know a bit about the crew and this guy over the last couple of weeks and was pretty sure he could hold his own, at least verbally. And, it’d not come to physical threats as the Captain tended to reply to wounded crew by giving the wounder matching wounds. He wondered if that made sense. But never mind. “Uh,” he said, “one to be teleported to the uh, other ship,” he asked brightly.
“Not yet, Barnabus,” Pollit replied starkly.
“Oh,” Barnabus remarked, patting himself down. “I, er, don’t have any coin right now but…”
Pollit chuckled. “Not asking for coin, kid. Not this time, anyhow. Ain’t like I don’t understand saving your dad, eh? We’re waiting on the other one. Teleport costs energy that we gotta replace.” He came around to the front and helped Barnabus lie his father down on the teleport pads. “So sending all who’s going at once makes more sense,” he added.
The door opened and Gallen arrived, carrying a Lappinean with half treated leg wounds and a visible dribble of blood from a neck injection site. He sat the Doe on the pad. “Tell them everything and claim Project Reclaim and you should be OK,” he advised. “Within limits, of course.”
“You’re being a bit soft on her, sir,” Pollit opined as the teleport occurred.
“No,” Gallen remarked sternly, “I’m not. Whatever information she has to give them may hurt a lot more of our enemy than we can. There’s a tactic to everything, Pollit. We just don’t always tell you. Back to the bridge, Barnabus. For the ‘next bit’.”

Barnabus, intrigued by that last comment, trotted alongside the first to the bridge. Savra nodded as they got back and ordered Merran to put him on with Grovan. He stood up again as the other ship came on screen. “You received the packages,” he asked.
<”We did,”> Grovan stormed angrily. <”Why are you jamming long range transmissions,”>
Savra looked at him as though he was talking to a fool. “There’s a rather large battleship in the area that we have no wish to meet, Lieutenant Commander. Which, despite myself trusting you – as you owe us one, is why I’ve had to take a precaution or two. Such as the explosive implant the Lappinean prisoner has had implanted in her neck. I have no wish to detonate it and I imagine you don’t want that either. Rules and all that.” Savra waved a hand. “So long as you don’t send out any long range transmissions whilst we’re still in contact range, I’ll send you the deactivation code when we’re on the edge of communications.” He sat back down in his chair. “It’s not something I do lightly. I have no wish to incur the wrath of the U.S.C., believe me. Now we’ll leave you with a large prize to take home with you.” he frowned. “Incidentally…” He consulted a padd. “Has a Lieutenant Steela, C.O. of a Militia ship called the Lysalla contacted you lot? We gave him evidence that stealth tech was being smuggled into the patch a week or so ago. You might want to check on that.” The smirk dropped to a cold expression. “Another ‘gift’, Grovan. You’d be wise not to try and stop the giver giving.” He cut the link.

Janus got them underway at best speed and it was almost an hour later that Savra transmitted the code to the Fallir to disarm the explosive in the Lappineans’ neck. “Wasn’t going to use it anyhow,” he assured Barnabus as he sat on the chair in the boys room. “Well, not without reason. What, you think I’d turn your father over to the only people who could save him, THEN risk his life?”
“It… it would seem odd, sir,” Barnabus replied. “Um, s...sir?”
“Yes?”
“Why d.. I like that you did but, uh, why did..?”
“Why risk the ship to save your father?” Savra mooted saying nothing but declined the instinct. “I lost my own father when I was about your age, boy. And I might have seen something of me then in you now. Got me thinking how I might have turned out if things were different, especially regarding how I was raised after that. For better or worse.” He patted Barnabus on the shoulder. “Sometimes I try ‘for better’. When I can still get a profit, anyhow. Speaking of which, Two hundred credits.”
At the mention of credits, Barnabus’ ear pricked up and he looked askew at the Captain. “Huh?”
Savra stood up. “Your share of the takings from this flight. After expenses and repairs are taken out. I’ll get the I.T. people to sort your ship account out so you can spend some when we dock at base in a day or so.”

The two days passed, taking a round about route to Cova Xi to ensure they weren’t being followed and to evade any roaming Militia ships. The ship had been undergoing repair work throughout, which Savra and Gallen had budgeted for before divvying out the lowest amount of profit left after Jeboah had confirmed the sale of the plates and farming equipment to an unknown third party. The Mican’s repair crews were ready to start their work as the ship stopped in at one of the docking stations but Savra had told the engineering crew to be ready to help out, which meant Pantha was on duty, such as it was. She woke up as the ship docked and looked at Gallen, lying on his back with his tongue lolling from his mouth. “Wake up, lover,” she whispered and he snorted awake, pulling his tongue in – along with a few strands of fur from the side of his jaw. “We’re here,” she informed him. “Where they can repair the shower!”
He laughed and kissed her. “We’re getting up,” he asked.
She held up the cuffed arm. “I am so I think you have to.”
“Yes,” he responded, grinning lasciviously. “Well, you were the one insisted on the handcuffs last night.” He stroked her side. “The Captain lifted the protocol,” he added, feeling her move against his hand.
She kissed him back. “Seemed a good idea.”

Savra paid the toll for the teleport to station and led Hastur and Barnabus through to the main area. “You realise I haven’t really been around the stores here, sir,” Hastur told him.
“Well, get lost then,” Savra told her. “I’ve got to… One second.” He walked across the room to where the Raitchian girl who’d tried to pick his pocket last time was at it again. He gripped her wrist as the person she was picking wheeled on her. “Come on,” he snarledd, “to security with you, girl!” He dragged her away as she protested. “Shut it,” he snapped. “You suck at picking pockets, girl! Your mother would be appalled when someone snaps your wrists!” He thrust her into Hastur and pointed at her. “Your guide. Shandy, if I find you out here at any point today, I’ll throw you in the cells myself and lose the keys in a fusion core, got it?”
She nodded. A glance at Barnabus and Savra decided to add a modification.
“But, if Hastur gives you a good report and you turn up with her at the end of the day, I’ll give you fifty credits, got it?”
“Y...yes, sir,”
“Then lead on.” He growled. “And stay out of trouble!”
“Y...yes, sir,” Shandy replied, almost saluting as Savra turned his back on them and strode towards the back offices to tell Jeboah what the captive had told him and, indeed, arrange for the handover to the interrogation experts. And then get the next hit list.

Business, after all, was business.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really glad that you wrote this story! I love how it came out!

Now if I can only get you to do an RP with me.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Heh.

Savra's trying a couple of possible LNG term things with the girl - who appeared back in the very early parts.

1. He knows Barnabus needs a friend his age.

2. Shandy's a lousy pickpocket. Barnabus can teach her a few things and, if he chooses to go back to his dad in later months, he might take her with him.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe he will be able to succeed there. Hopefully it doesn't involve getting violent or handsy.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

One thing I had slight fun with was 'inversion'. Virrik, for example, is a sociopathic monster. Who wonders how normal Doctors sleep at night when they've let little things like their patients wishes stop them from doing what they know is best for their patients. And, as far as she's concerned, it was an ACCIDENT that wiped out that colony. Does that mean people should stop her trying to save lives?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

No, it means she should stop trying to save lives as she is doing much more harm than good. Though she will never listen to those concerns.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Working on the new story (IOC- Raitche) now. Might put up a few character bios.

Name Hayley Rogan

Species Raitchian (F)

Subset Neotoma Packrat

Age 24

Size 5’6

General attributes Muddy brown fur with a paler underside. Fairly thin with slightly larger eyes than many species of Raitchian. Bubbly. Optimistic. Slightly clumsy. Known for using the occasional wrong word after spending a year at University in England as part of a cultural exchange program and getting used to the meaning of words there so she could 'fit in' better. She took anthropology studies and investigative studies. Just about able to afford her rent with room to spare. Joined up due to the organisation helping to pay for her education, which would otherwise have been unaffordable for the daughter of a scrap merchant. Slightly athletic but would rather walk or chase people in her works car. Or her cheap, disposable, little runabout.

Clothing. Dresses for the occasion. Has clothes ready for all weathers. Most often in a light blue shirt and jacket with off-white or grey trousers. Has a great coat and Raitchian style balaclava for winter time.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

She seems like she is a really good character so far! Can't wait to see her!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Team leader.

Name Charlton Hass

Species Raitchian (M)

Subset Norveggan (Norwegian Brown)

Age 43

Size 6’5

General attributes Thick, heavyset, Black furred Raitchian with a brown underside. Physically strong and durable. Cybernetically enhanced legs due to an earlier accident gives him the ability to run slightly faster than normal and leap almost twice as far as a normal Raitchian. Banned from normal athletic competition. Occasionally likes a small bet on sports. Team leader in IOC, despite occasional reviews. Nothing’s ever proven. Has a slightly antagonistic relationship with Raitchian police. He thinks them largely corrupt. They think he’s up to something. They might be right, if he ever found the time.

Clothing. Brown jacket, Black shirt, brown trousers. Seems to have many copies of the same outfit. Carrys a hidden knife in his jacket.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He sounds very interesting also! But he better watch his step if the police are watching him closely!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Name Nolly Sun

Species Raitchian (F)

Subset Marsh

Age 26

Size 4’5

General attributes Small, a little unconventional and chipper. Able to squeeze into tighter spaces than the others. Decent with computers and fraud investigation. She’s a native of the capital city and knows the local ins and outs but there’s a family reason for that. They’re keeping an eye on her. If you want a guide to the high life in the city, Nolly’s your girl. But it might cost you several drinks. Not the best shot on the colony. Or on the team.

Clothing. Generally throws on whatever she wants. She doesn’t care if it goes together or not. Unless she’s dressing with a need to impress. Then she’s got a few outfits...

------------------------------

Name Solomon Frank.

Species Mican/Raitchian cross (M)

Subset N/A

Age 29

Size 5’11

General attributes Raised by his Raitchian grandparents after his parents were killed in an accident and his Mican family refused. Solomon has a resentment towards them but not, generally, to other Micans. The White furred individual, with his brown chest fur, has worked on parlour tricks and slight of hand to earn enough cash to work his way through college. It was better than working for a living.

Clothing. Solomon pushes the idea of ‘professional’ clothing to the absolute limit with T-shirts with printed logos and white jacket and trousers. He likes the idea of referring to himself as a snowman.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am beginning to see a bit of a theme here for the next story. :P This should really be good.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Name Dalmar Hayke

Species Canine

Subset Russellian

Age 29

Size 6’3

General attributes Affable. Moved to Raitche after his Mother was hired to run a local company. Stayed on because he liked the country town they were living in. Moved into the city because the only place he could get work in the town was the place his mother was running. Took a job with law enforcement but transferred to IOC as the Raitchian Police couldn’t really use him in the field as the floppy eared Russellian with the barrel chest, tan/white fur and long tongue sticks out quite a bit. He’s enthusiastic and can follow a scent better than most of the others in the building. Sometimes rushes where Raitchains fear to tread. Often has to be reminded not to.

Clothing. Dark Grey/Black jacket and trousers. White shirt. More of the standard uniform than most. No-one’s sure why.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now we have a character that is NOT a mouse or rat in this upcoming story! It will be interesting to see his journey in the narrative!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And one more.

Name Heston Granger

Species Raitchian (M)

Subset Roof (black)

Age 63

Size 5’9

General attributes. Old. Caring. Made it twenty years in law enforcement before being retired or, as he puts it, turfed out for irregularities of youth. In his first few years, documents went missing and evidence sometimes moved to inaccessible places. This, he told his senior officers at the time of investigation, was because his former superiors had been corrupt with the power to squash a young detective flatter than a pancake if they said no. The lack of financial recompense had convinced the investigators that this wizened old campaigner had been telling the truth and, possibly, had been making notes all the time so best to let him retire ‘quietly’. And quickly. He believes in technology but not homogeny. One thing shouldn’t do it all. That’s why he has a mobile phone with a comm chip and an old fashioned watch rather than a comm. Usually. He’s the reception desk officer for IOC as, frankly, his pension wasn’t going to be enough to keep him in the city.

Clothing. Blue. Blue jacket, blue trousers, blue shoes and a blue peaked cap.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This is gonna be one interesting story then! I'm keeping my eyes however on Dalmar.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie