The Musician Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Vertigo Fox

The Musician Thread

Post by Vertigo Fox »

A thread for musicians! (I can't be the only one here, can I?)
Rules come from another board, it's been a long time but I think the site might have had something to do with a racing game, maybe Trackmania? Anyway I thought it was a good trio of rules.... it might not be verbatim though.

1. Musicians can post any track or tracks of theirs that they want, but before they can they've got to leave a comment on a song that was posted previously. You're not limited to one song per post, but a musician making a post only has to comment on one song so keep that in mind. So a post where someone adds one of their songs should go something like: "Hey, I liked the vocal effects on the song you posted, Kitsune. I think you could improve the chord progression by adding a seventh to that D-minor chord on the electric triangle. Please don't turn me into an animal. Here's an instrumental song I recorded on harmonica and xylophone. It's about how all airline pilots are secretly spies for the lizard-people."
That middle sentence is optional, but encouraged. :lol:

It's not required that a song-poster specifically comment on the last song posted, but it is encouraged. Try to be considerate and avoid keeping others in too much suspense about their work.

2. Keep comments positive and constructive -- that doesn't mean you can't criticize, but remember anybody who spends time writing their songs pours their heart and soul into writing it, and years of practice into the craft. Try to find something nice to say along with your criticisms, or, if you really can't do that, at least try to be helpful. And protip: if you have an outright statement along the lines of "this comment is helpful", or, god-forbid, have to explain why it helps, then it's not actually helpful.
I've seen no sign of any real, malicious trolling since I've signed up here, so I really don't think this one is going to be a problem.

3. Having to post a comment in order to post a song doesn't mean you have to post a song in order to post a comment. Everybody is welcome here! Just so long as they're willing to put in the effort to be nice, of course, but like I said everyone I've talked to here so far has shown that already. So don't be shy, I don't bite (well, except literally)!

4. Remember rule six!

Well, someone has to start us off and, since I'm right here, I'm gonna make a second post for it just to keep this whole thing organized. Seriously hoping I'm not the only musician here now. :D
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Vertigo Fox

Crimson Diffusion // Instinctual

Post by Vertigo Fox »

As is my bad habit, I post two songs at once. And yes the artist tag does just say "Vertigo Fox"... I chose to use the same name I use for my music when I signed up here.
I figure it makes sense for introducing my work to the people here, since these two tracks show off somewhat different facets of what I write. Chose to use google drive 'cause it's easy to get the files up there quickly, and gives you guys the option to stream the track, or download if you really end up liking it (I should be so lucky :lol: ).

These songs could both probably fit on the scale between Industrial Rock and Industrial Metal. They've got the hallmark weird synthesizers, strong percussion and warped, somewhat inhuman-sounding vocals, if nothing else.
First up is "Instinctual", which is a heavy, distorted-guitar-driven track, at least once you get past the intro. Lyrics follow the theme of reverting to habits and tendencies under stress and duress, and the dark and aggressive tone of the music as a whole may provide a glimpse into what tendencies those might be... The synth parts were probably influenced in some way by both Jerry Berlongieri and Depeche Mode.
Instinctual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OEZBAx ... sp=sharing

The second is "Crimson Diffusion". It's a little bit mellower, and probably a little bit stranger. There's still an undercurrent of something sinister or "evil" to it, and considering that the lyrics are about illegal poachers (in my own roundabout way) that's probably fairly apt. This song loosely ties into a world I've used in a few other songs and stories, even though the story it tells takes place in this world.
Crimson Diffusion:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D4XkW0 ... sp=sharing

I have lyrics to these songs I can put up here if someone asks, would just rather not put them in *this* post since I feel that, between this and my introduction I've already blabbered on more than long enough. :D
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Amazee Dayzee

Re: The Musician Thread

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They sound very good and I like them a lot! Nice job on them!
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Thank you!
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I hope that we can hear more from you soon!
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I would like to allow someone else a chance to post something first -- assuming there is someone else, of course, but I've never before been on a board where I was the only musician.
In the meantime, my signature has a link to my soundcloud page.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that somebody else will eventually decide to post but you are gonna have to be patient. :)
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Hello people still around.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

"Crimson Diffusion" Is kinda groovy. I can dig it~
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So somebody else did post but it just took 2 months for it to happen. XD

So, any other musical creations you worked on since November?
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I work on stuff all the time, yeah. But I never really "finish"
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Oh, Here's one of my tracks by the way. I'm more of a "Variety" musician and this is one of my wider appeal songs with my old band.

https://soundcloud.com/the-fraudulent/i-stayed-for-you
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sounds really nice! I do hope that you will eventually post more!
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Oh, Sure. Any specific genre you wanna hear? I do all the major ones.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Most of the songs on my iPod are Hip-Hop/Rap so you probably shouldn't look to me for suggestions. X)
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I listened to the first one -- not a style I tend to listen to for sure, but it's well-made, well-sung, and fun to listen to (and excites my synaesthesia :D) which is all that really matters. I'm sorry I don't have the mental energy to listen to both right now... it's been a super-crazy Saturday at work.
I'm curious, you said this was your band: is it you on vocals or someone else?

Other thing:
This isn't a big deal since right now it's only us two musicians posting songs in this thread, but I'd like to just make sure you know about those "rules" in the OP. If there ever end up being more than three songwriters here it's gonna become very easy for a song someone was looking for commentary on to end up getting lost or ignored and those guidelines are just aimed to help prevent that.
Again, it's not an issue right now -- you even posted some commentary on my track in the other thread which I'd say counts for the same anyway, I just want to make sure you know that they're there in case they ever do become important. Sorry if I seem to be a bit in your face about it, when I'm this tired my social skills kinda fall apart. ;)
Last edited by Vertigo Fox on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That really was a great song that you have Jay! Nice job making it!
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Oh, of course. If it was more than just the two of us I'd have no problem following the rules to a T. I just took a guess that it was more lax since it was the three of us in general.

Uh yeah, I had a vocalist for awhile. Right now I made a bunch of just instrumentals. I don't really do vocals. So, if there was anything you wanted to know about the lyrics, sadly I don't even know what they are half the time.

And once again, Sorry for presuming.

Also, thank you! I have more hip hop if interested.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Oh that's fine, I think you made the right call for now anyway.
It just left me a little unsure. I appreciate the reassurance. ;)

Speaking for myself I love instrumentals too -- even if I don't write them much anymore, that's only because I love to write stories and I like to sing as well as writing the music, so it's hard not to do it all at once.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I can understand that. On a personal level though, the voice is an actual instrument so I don't particularly care about whats coming out of it as long as I feel it sounds good. don't get me wrong, I'm positive that good lyrics have amazing effects, just personally it doesn't mean much.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I absolutely get that too, that's why I'm okay with distorting my voice the way I do. It's more fun to do, and when other bands do it at least for me it's more fun to listen to what they can do to their voice than the words that voice is saying.
For me it's as much about liking the act of singing as it is about liking writing. And you can always add a written transcription of the lyrics if you think the story really needs telling -- I've never felt that takes anything away from the song, it's just a tool for understanding what you wanted to say a little better, if your listener chooses to understand that.
On soundcloud I always like to post the transcription but if I can, have enough other comments so that it doesn't show up until you click the "show more" button, so that there's still that choice to *not* look at it.

Now I really need to go to bed, lol. It's fun talking about this stuff.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Don't have many musician friends?

And yeah dude, rest if your body demands it.

Also I get that. I would have put lyrics up for my songs, but again, I don't actually know what's in them.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fH2uAq ... sp=sharing

I know you're not supposed to spam your own music here, but I've been working on something lately. I could use a fresh pair of ears if anyone is willing.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:35 pm https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fH2uAq ... sp=sharing

I know you're not supposed to spam your own music here, but I've been working on something lately. I could use a fresh pair of ears if anyone is willing.
Love it!! Nothing wrong with posting your own music I think. Liking the 80s computer/Weezer vibe, really catchy.

Strong drum track as well, kinda like the way it transitions to the rockier bit.

Do you have any lyrics planned?
Disproportionately Dappled
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Yeah, it's fine. I expected at least a few more musicians would poke up when I made the guidelines for this thread.

As for the song, it's interesting. I have a little difficulty trying to wrap my head around what sort of story it's trying to tell (in that sense, I think lyrics would be a good thing) but the melodies and harmonies remind me of games like, say, Sonic Unleashed, in a really neat way.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I don't know if there's a story, but I just had a bunch of neat sounding ideas I wanted to put together. So I did that, but I'm glad you think the harmonies and melodies sound neat.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really lovely song composition that you put together Jay! It came out really nice!
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Thank you dayzee, I appreciate it!