Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

D-Rock

Re: Art Thread

Post by D-Rock »

David learned to accept it really early and really fast. The Foxpaw didn’t just stop eating meat because of him. He won’t kill unless he has to, though, but bounty hunting is a dangerous business for a reason.

Inktober Day 27 - Music
Another piece I spent an unnecessarily long time on. The pose was also super weird. Inspired by this piece. Unfortunately couldn’t find the original artist.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

That is awesome D-Rock! Really nice job on making the best of Procreate for the leather texture.
Learning that you're adopted can be awkward enough, but even more so when you're a herbivore and you're daddy's a carnivore casually hanging the hide of a herbivore. But hey, it builds character, which will serve David well when he is out on his own.

Also, nice work on Macabre and Oliver. Looove the background.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks!

I really need to get to writing something for David. It was drilled into the heads of all of the Swiftfoot that if a predator caught them, they’d be the next meal. While David was initially confused that one would instead adopt him, he knew better than to throw away that advice. And the Foxpaw, not being apex predators, took this advice to heart as well.

There’s a lot to experiment with Procreate brushes. A lot of the tree bark was different skin brushes. Frankly, I’m surprised that there’s no actual tree bark brush. Only wood-based brush is one meant for fences.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Looks greart D-Rock, really like the textures! Adds a lot of depth I think.

Had a go at my more usual style of drawing.
Deer2.png
Deer2.png (150.38 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Disproportionately Dappled
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Wow, man, this looks great!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:23 am Wow, man, this looks great!
It does, DDeer, really handsome and wonderful shadings. Very vivid, has kind of an English nature portraiture flavor to it.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Those pictures have come out very beautiful you two! Awesome work!
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Very nice, D-Rock and DDeer.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Amazing work there, Daunted Deer! :D And very nice work as always, D-Rock. :)
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

That is a gorgeous deer, Ddeer. The grass in the foreground, the texture of his hair, the lighting. All expertly done.
D-Rock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:48 am Thanks!

I really need to get to writing something for David. It was drilled into the heads of all of the Swiftfoot that if a predator caught them, they’d be the next meal. While David was initially confused that one would instead adopt him, he knew better than to throw away that advice. And the Foxpaw, not being apex predators, took this advice to heart as well.

There’s a lot to experiment with Procreate brushes. A lot of the tree bark was different skin brushes. Frankly, I’m surprised that there’s no actual tree bark brush. Only wood-based brush is one meant for fences.
I'm sure the scar Armon later gave him upwelled these apprehensions and negative feelings. That is surprising about there being no texture for bark. But it looks like you did very well with what is available.

I decided to make that creepy demon doggo I drew last time into a character. Let's call him Gordon (no connection to Lucifer's dog, Ramsey). He was a servant of Eudoant. However, he botched a mission guarding a young demon on his vacation... He accidentally cleared the DVR of a new Hell's Kitchen episode so he could record the dog show. Since then, he has been demoted and, after a few more failures, banished to the wastelands of the netherworld. In his exile, he seeks to redeem himself by collecting lost fallen souls wandering by. What he plans to do with the souls he captures (so far 0) he has not thought out yet.

He comes off as intimidating at first, but is really a bit of a goof who tends to get all theatrical.

In this picture, he is confounded by Heidi, who is somehow venturing the wastelands with a physical body.

Heidi: "So that's where I am? Huh, not as nice as I thought. My dad has been told to go here, so I assumed it was a place worth visiting. Oh, is the kitchen as great as on TV?! Take me there! Please! Please!"

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Quite the fall for him, it seems. Perhaps he’s thinking of presenting those wandering souls to Eidoant as a peace offering? If they manage to get out of the thumb of an overseer, I would imagine they’d be wanted back.

And Heidi, just how do you manage to get to these places?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That picture is really great Nicky! Just how goofy is he though because I'm hoping he would be the type to end up in a spate of (literal) messy situations. LOL
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Inktober Day 28 - Float

Yggdrasil Root Beer Float, to be specific. Dessert of choice for many a demigod.
Attachments
0234FD8A-6693-464A-B788-9557DDC7FC58.png
0234FD8A-6693-464A-B788-9557DDC7FC58.png (77.36 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:56 pm Quite the fall for him, it seems. Perhaps he’s thinking of presenting those wandering souls to Eidoant as a peace offering? If they manage to get out of the thumb of an overseer, I would imagine they’d be wanted back.

And Heidi, just how do you manage to get to these places?
Some folks collect stamps, others collect souls ... everybody needs a hobby, eh? Maybe time to get ahold of ol'four-ears and add a couple new clauses to the Celestial-Infernal Treaty, eh, Cerberus?

Love the root beer float, too!
Last edited by D-Rock on Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: Please use the Edit button to add more to your previous post.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:40 pm
D-Rock wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:23 am Wow, man, this looks great!
It does, DDeer, really handsome and wonderful shadings. Very vivid, has kind of an English nature portraiture flavor to it.
Thanks for the great comments all, I'll take comparisson to English nature portraiture any day if the week :D , get what you mean. Glad you liked the shading, was trying to get some depth, this is more my usual style, used to dabble in pastels.

Like the root beer inktober drawing D-Rock, what is root beer by the way? Great sketch as always dryideabat, you've caught the expressions well.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Good work on the drawing for Inktober Rocky! Oliver continues to look more adorable every time you draw him!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks.
DDeer wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:08 pm
Like the root beer inktober drawing D-Rock, what is root beer by the way?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_beer
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

If you're in the UK, Dear DDeer, think along the lines of Dandelion & Burdock. It's a very similar drink.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:14 pm If you're in the UK, Dear DDeer, think along the lines of Dandelion & Burdock. It's a very similar drink.
Ah, yes, makes sense, don't mind a bit of d&b. I'm intrigued that it actually has a head on it looking at the wikipedia link (thanks D-Rock), have never come across it in any shops, if I ever see it I'll give it a try.
Daunted
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Different brands can have vastly different flavors. I don’t know which brands make it to where you live, but I’ve always been a fan of Mug and A&W. Barq’s I find works, but lower quality in my opinion.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

D-Rock wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:20 pm Different brands can have vastly different flavors. I don’t know which brands make it to where you live, but I’ve always been a fan of Mug and A&W. Barq’s I find works, but lower quality in my opinion.
I LOVE Barq's, but I really enjoy a good Birch Beer.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Something I whipped up surprisingly quick. Here’s the late Artemis Foxpaw.
9BFD79E6-4F3F-44F7-A86E-FE61503E2262.png
9BFD79E6-4F3F-44F7-A86E-FE61503E2262.png (149.81 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
She has some weak magical abilities, with that ring she wears being an amplifier. Most she can do is imbue her blade and buckler for extra damage or elemental resistance. Otherwise, they’re a very basic guard set.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Nice design for Artemis. She looks very lovely. Certainly lives up to her name, though I assume she's also good with a bow. Were David and Marble too young to remember her?

And that drink looks very refreshing. Olive is growing up so fast.

I figure Gordon is one of those guys who gets easily enthused and doesn't consider the consequences before acting... Like a dog chasing cars :lol: . For example, he was supposed to impress some mortal subjects visiting the netherworld (back when they were allowing tours for worshippers :lol: ). He figured he'd make a dramatic entrance with a volcanic eruption. Unfortunately, the blast incinerated them.

As for Heidi, she has a way of getting into places thought to be inaccessible (both in the comic and real life). The reason for this: her innocence allows her to warp the fabric of reality
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Huh, didn't consider the use of other weapons, but it'd be fitting for her, wouldn't it?

I'm thinking that Marble was about four, almost five, when Artemis died. Two years later, David would be adopted, he himself just barely five. Two year difference between Marble and David.

I'm guessing they got on to Gordon big time about that. The visit wasn't intended to be a permanent stay.

And wow, seems like literally no place is off limits to Heidi.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

D-Rock wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:20 pm Different brands can have vastly different flavors. I don’t know which brands make it to where you live, but I’ve always been a fan of Mug and A&W. Barq’s I find works, but lower quality in my opinion.
I'll keep my eye out for those brands, think I may have seen A&W, just got to recall which shop now. Artemis looking good, fox tail well drawn, tricky I find.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And whipped up a quick bio for Artemis.
Attachments
5901AAF0-52D4-4F1B-B7CE-A13EC2A8CACF.png
5901AAF0-52D4-4F1B-B7CE-A13EC2A8CACF.png (201.85 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:36 am
I'll keep my eye out for those brands, think I may have seen A&W, just got to recall which shop now. Artemis looking good, fox tail well drawn, tricky I find.
A&W is a fast-food franchise as well - although it doesn't seem to be doing very well. Its favor is root-beerish to me; Mug, I think is more authentic but I like them both. A&W also makes Cream Soda. Barq's is not bad. Most major soft-drink companies have their own versions of root beer, like Cott or Canada Dry. If you like peppery, there's ginger beer, a soft drink very popular in the Carolinas. Can't remember the name of the major brand down there, had a Germanic name as I recollect.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That would be Blenheim ginger ale that you are referring to there. The spice is from there being a lot more ginger then usually in a ginger ale.

While I was down there visiting my sister and her boyfriend I tried some. I don't like the taste of any root beer as I think it tastes like toothpaste. That tasted a little better but probably because its more ale than beer.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Haven't had a root beer in a long time. I've had plenty of beers of varying grades though. :P
That must have been one powerful bear to take on the Foxpaw clan. Then again, bears are natural juggernauts. I can only imagine Armon had to talk some of the members out of retaliating afterwards.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

He did, only after dealing with his own myriad of emotions. Revenge was something that did run through his mind for a while. He just recognized that the bear was just trying to eat as well, and sometimes this clashes with the needs of others. A fact he was more than aware of. In the end, this didn’t bring him any solace, but it did mean no unnecessary losses.

Moving on, new Inktober piece.

Inktober Day 30 - Ominous

“How about we discuss this over lunch?”
4BFE7F77-6A27-43B5-85A9-E7AF45E4BEBB.png
4BFE7F77-6A27-43B5-85A9-E7AF45E4BEBB.png (78.83 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
A surprising amount of agreements happen during these discussions. Mirage can be quite the persuasive one at times when she feels the need for such.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can only imagine how if that was Sickle what would be going through his mind since he knows that he can never best Mirage. :P
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Perhaps a polite decline, an immediate bail, followed by a LOT of praying. :lol:

Also, got some rings for Artemis.
*Magical Ring* - A ring that Artemis kept growing up, a gift from the previous Foxpaw clan leader, Armon’s father, received from a wandering mage. It’s been modified to fit her as she grew. This amplifies her weak control over the elements to a much more noticeable degree.
*Enchanted Emerald* - Armon claimed that he received this from a possibly nomadic tribe during one of his walks, and even received a shield and sword. As strange as this was, Artemis found that the ring enhanced her magic abilities somewhat further.
*Foxpaw Defender* - Presented to Artemis by the previous clan leader when she rose to the highest rank among the guard. Not only does it have the same amplification qualities as her regular rings, it also acts as a substitute to the larger clan emblem pendants.
*Brilliant Sun* - during a trip to a nearby village for trade, Artemis bumped into a resident who seemed frustrated. She merely offered the ring to Artemis, saying that it was a failed experiment. It was meant to supply light in dark areas, but there is no method of turning it off without destroying it, making sneaking impossible. Foxes also have the ability to see in low-light environments, rendering the ring ultimately useless. Artemis did admit that she liked how it looked.
*Cleric’s Ring* - Artemis once came across clergy in her travels. Without saying a word, he handed this ring to her. A member in a village would later tell her that it could amplify the abilities of those that could heal. Unfortunately, Artemis’ magic abilities do not include healing.
*Infernal Eye* - found on the body of what appeared to be a mage during a hunt. The mage had other artifacts, all were deemed useful only for trade. The ring, on the other hand, greatly enhanced the combat prowess of any who wore it. However, this was barely noticeable when used by Artemis. In addition, all who wore it felt a great amount of unease, as if something was trying to influence them, and never in a positive way. When speaking to traveling scholars, they recognized that the ring was what they referred to as an “Infernal Artifact.” They insisted on taking the ring for safekeeping, offering to compensate for it and the other artifacts. The clan did not hesitate to agree.
*Star Fragment* - An incredibly unusual ring, with a star-shaped gem floating within the crystal sphere. Armon had this made after the death of Artemis. The stone was the same color as her eyes.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

When you have the might and appetite of Mirage, any argument is yours to win. And very interesting idea of having Artemis use rings to help focus her magic and abilities. That Infernal Eye is interesting. So the clan is aware of Infernals. Kind of makes me think of Lord of the Rings (movie). Joey (on all fours): "My precious!"

Happy Halloween from Homer!
Attachments
Homer_Approaches.jpg
Homer_Approaches.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Homer approaches to steal all of your candy. :shock:

To finish off Inktober, here’s a bout of silliness.

Inktober Day 31 - Crawl
716FB120-3424-45DD-9578-4073DAFFA251.jpeg
716FB120-3424-45DD-9578-4073DAFFA251.jpeg (177.47 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
I think Linkin Park is great.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Happy Halloween to all you artsy folks out there - looking forward eagerly to another year of your ink-cantations!! :lol:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Obbl’s the reason this exists. Image
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

D-Rock wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:20 pm Homer approaches to steal all of your candy. :shock:
Or, he comes to bestow you with candy. You open it, and discover it's candy corn. :| ...Don't know what it is, but I was never a fan of the artificial taste. Though still not as bad as black licorice. Also, I figured a theme for Homer in my previous picture would be the background music at ~47:57 of this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYmmqS8Oxag). Hey, certainly from a numerical weather prediction standpoint, tornadoes are an extreme example of chaos.

Nice drawings D-Rock. Little Oliver has a fine taste in music. And I'm sure David would be one for starting a Zootopia.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Homer: “Relax, everyone, I’m just here to give out some uncursed, non-fatal, regular old candies.”
Arrezzo: “Dear God...”
Homer: “It’s just candy corn.”
Arrezzo : “Nooo....”
Homer: :|

Had the idea from this https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Impeccable work on all the pictures that you guys have posted! Really great work with the finished products that you guys came out with!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Commemorative Dia De Los Muertos pic, featuring Rocky.