Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Art Thread

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You definitely are a lot better than me or anything I could ever do.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Hehe. Very cute birthday gift for Chaoko. I hope he's doing well.
MIIICE IN SPAAACE!!! Nice drawing, Tinnier. Here's to the little guy boldly going where no mouse has gone before.
Interesting style, Ddeer. It is manga-esque with the pen/ink, stipples, and eyes. Looks cute.

Here's a double feature. The first picture is of concept art for a giant robot that attacked Arezzo. For more details (https://www.deviantart.com/nleonardo87/ ... -881063544). The second is a quickie in celebration of Sonic's 30th anniversary.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really nice job on the pictures Nicky! They are very cool!
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

dryideabat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:29 am Hehe. Very cute birthday gift for Chaoko. I hope he's doing well.
MIIICE IN SPAAACE!!! Nice drawing, Tinnier. Here's to the little guy boldly going where no mouse has gone before.
Interesting style, Ddeer. It is manga-esque with the pen/ink, stipples, and eyes. Looks cute.

Here's a double feature. The first picture is of concept art for a giant robot that attacked Arezzo. For more details (https://www.deviantart.com/nleonardo87/ ... -881063544). The second is a quickie in celebration of Sonic's 30th anniversary.

Sanic the Hodgeheg.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Very great stuff!

Finally got around to finishing this up.
B7F4AB1B-6FC4-4BCC-91E0-8CAAD8CDA388.gif
B7F4AB1B-6FC4-4BCC-91E0-8CAAD8CDA388.gif (333.41 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Halphas with Estoc and Flintlock Pistol - Default

Blue Jay with Heartfelt Needle and Colt Dragoon - Halphas felt like a change of pace, and changing this for, and carrying the weapons of mortals that tried to attack him felt like a good first step.

Cardinal with Primal Blade and Sawed-Off - Halphas saw some of the life that exists in mortal realms, and decided to model an appearance after it. The more savage weaponry seemed to pair well with this look.

Cyber with Portable Plasma Cutter and Energy Blaster - Halphas once found himself summoned into a strange world with a unique aesthetic. He found their weaponry quite curious, though also very frail.

Peacemaker with Zweihander and Pepperbox - Peace will come from the heart, or from conquest. At least, that was how Halphas was told in a rather hostile world he was summoned to. He was open about the contempt he held for such a viewpoint, but business is business.

Squandered Blessing with Bone Katana and Cooing Dove - The pain Halphas felt for failing Macabre as a father haunted him for a long time. He was alone in this, as Gretchen had no such regrets. He would try to be a better father to his second child, though Lilith would turn out to be overly sadistic, regardless.

Ascended with Blade of the Morning Star and Archangel - Not long after winning the Blade from Lucifer, Halphas had a dream that he held another weapon belonging to the armies of archangels. He wasn’t sure if this was merely fantasy over wielding two Holy weapons, or a vision of the future.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Those did definitely come out really great! Though I feel like the more savage weapons should be with the blue jay instead of the cardinal and that is because blue jays are rather mean and aggressive and cardinals are thought by many people (one of them being my mother) to be spirits of deceased loved ones.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Halphas looks pretty good D-Rock, impressed with the wings. Great Sonic tribute Bat, takes me back to the master system 2 days :)

Been working on the picture below for a while, Shika amongst Sakura. Any comments appreciated as always.

Daunted

DeerIllustrationIsm.jpg
DeerIllustrationIsm.jpg (302.21 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
Disproportionately Dappled
Harry Johnathan

DDeer wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:34 pm Halphas looks pretty good D-Rock, impressed with the wings. Great Sonic tribute Bat, takes me back to the master system 2 days :)

Been working on the picture below for a while, Shika amongst Sakura. Any comments appreciated as always.

Daunted

DeerIllustrationIsm.jpg

I LOVE THIS! :D Looks so realistic! It could be a photo.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Nice sketch and style, and what a lovely illustration, DDeer! :D Nice draws, Nicholas, cool Sonic's one. ;) Good work again, D-Rock. :)
Tinnier

Post by Tinnier »

Really cool robot Nick, your Sonic tribute turned out really well too. Also, thank you very much for your nice comment :)

Pretty cool D! The weapons look very dangerous and impressive.

Wow, it's turned out very beautiful, Daunted. Very realistic your deers. Love the sea of flowers. Very dreamlike and magical your drawing :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter -> @tinnierArt
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Halphas has a classy choice of weaponry that would make Quentin Tarantino jealous. That Primal Blade and Sawed-off combo looks savage. At least he feels remorse for what he did enough to have an alternate skin and weapons dedicated to his son.

That's really beautiful, Ddeer! The textures of the blossoms in the background give a warming surreal feel, like how everything melts and turns rosy with a first kiss. I can't help but think of Bambi and Faline. :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:40 pm
DDeer wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:34 pm Halphas looks pretty good D-Rock, impressed with the wings. Great Sonic tribute Bat, takes me back to the master system 2 days :)

Daunted

DeerIllustrationIsm.jpg

I LOVE THIS! :D Looks so realistic! It could be a photo.
In addition to the realism (as Rydr underscores), the coloration is fantastic. The way the floral pinks haloes the greys and whites of the animals is a wonderful framing. The treatment of these colors gives a deeply subtle sense of meadow grass and mosses without having to detail the plants themselves or just paint it solid. Exquisite.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:47 pm Those did definitely come out really great! Though I feel like the more savage weapons should be with the blue jay instead of the cardinal and that is because blue jays are rather mean and aggressive and cardinals are thought by many people (one of them being my mother) to be spirits of deceased loved ones.
An incredibly fair point, just going with the concept of red being a more aggressive color. I’ve seen videos of how ornery blue jays are, so that wasn’t lost on me. Though if it’s any consolation, Halphas is using his Blue Jay look while wielding weapons belonging to mortals who thought they could beat him.
dryideabat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:26 pm Halphas has a classy choice of weaponry that would make Quentin Tarantino jealous. That Primal Blade and Sawed-off combo looks savage. At least he feels remorse for what he did enough to have an alternate skin and weapons dedicated to his son.
Indeed. Halphas was sort of the odd one when it came to demons. Most don’t feel anything like remorse.

And DDeer, that picture looks absolutely beautiful!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that the picture you drew DDeer is really nice! It is so beautiful!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Thanks for the very kind and lovely comments all, glad you liked my Deer couple, I was pleased with the way it came out, handy having a mirror for reference ;) , it took a while to get the poses right, I'll take exquisite any day of the week :D

Spent a while on the shading and distribution of the petals so glad that worked.

I have a shock confession to make, I don't think I've ever seen Bambi the whole way through (and I didn't even know there was a sequel). Guess as a deer I really should remedy that (yes, I do know about Bambi's mother before you ask :( ).
Tinnier

Post by Tinnier »

DDeer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:44 am Thanks for the very kind and lovely comments all, glad you liked my Deer couple, I was pleased with the way it came out, handy having a mirror for reference ;) , it took a while to get the poses right, I'll take exquisite any day of the week :D

Spent a while on the shading and distribution of the petals so glad that worked.

I have a shock confession to make, I don't think I've ever seen Bambi the whole way through (and I didn't even know there was a sequel). Guess as a deer I really should remedy that (yes, I do know about Bambi's mother before you ask :( ).
Don't worry, Daunted. I haven't seen everything either. To this day I have never seen the Lion King, for example.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Tinnier wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:29 am
DDeer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:44 am Thanks for the very kind and lovely comments all, glad you liked my Deer couple, I was pleased with the way it came out, handy having a mirror for reference ;) , it took a while to get the poses right, I'll take exquisite any day of the week :D

Don't worry, Daunted. I haven't seen everything either. To this day I have never seen the Lion King, for example.
You are missing out, the original animated one is better, though the new one is o.k., just looks a bit odd initially when real looking animals start singing (I can talk though, I often sing :-) ) interesting to see Kimba, the Japanese animation.
Harry Johnathan

DDeer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:27 am

You are missing out, the original animated one is better, though the new one is o.k., just looks a bit odd initially when real looking animals start singing (I can talk though, I often sing :-) ) interesting to see Kimba, the Japanese animation.
For a real shock, Bambi is not only based on two books, there was a play and two live action Russian film adaptations of the play!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Harriet doesn’t like going to Mirage for anything. They don’t really like each other, and frankly, she’s scared Mirage will eat her.

Accidental events like this don’t help.
Attachments
AC023663-D3E6-4E52-A9FF-21CF9BC82FBE.png
AC023663-D3E6-4E52-A9FF-21CF9BC82FBE.png (146.53 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Nice one, D-Rock.
Mirage: "Seriously, it's not blood. Surely you are well acquainted with the smell of the real thing. Come closer. I'll open my mouth for you to get a better read."
I wonder what Harriet wanted to ask. I guess it wasn't that important. :lol:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Oh, dang, Mirage definitely would say that to her. :lol:

Yeah, I guess the question isn’t important at this point. Especially when staring into the abyss.
Tinnier

Post by Tinnier »

This is really clever and cute. Very nice D :)
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Almost makes me feel bad for Harriet, though it's probably best someone keeps her on her toes.
DDeer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:27 am

"You must avenge my death, Kimba- er I mean Simba." :lol: I wonder what would happen if Kimba (Leo) met Simba. Hopefully better than this awkward moment I thought of... Don't ask. It's far too dark. :shock:

I also drew this, featuring a deity Arezzo met on his pilgrimage through the afterlife. (For more context: https://www.deviantart.com/nleonardo87/ ... -881347034). Image
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Looking great, man!

Neat image of Kimba and Simba. I recall seeing a video someone made on the “controversy” surrounding the two. It was a two hour video debunking the “Disney plagiarized Kimba” deal, and incredibly well, too.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I read the book, Bambi - A Life in the Forest well before I saw the movie. So, when i finally saw the movie (back in 1955 at the age of ten), I was suitably steeled for Mom's demise. I found much of the movie enchanting, especially the woodland depictions, the Churchill-Plumb music score, and the animation of the deer. At the same time, I was really irritated by a lot of the "Disneyfications", especially the removal of some of the book's most moving and powerful scenes and the injection of "cutie-patootie" characters like Thumper, Flower, (who are not in the book), and the Owl (who is in the book but has a very different personality). I have never seen any of the recent sequels and would only if someone else (like my kids) decided to show them. Ronno, by the way, is a very different character in the original story as well, rather noble and tragic.

The author, Felix Salten, was an Austrian Jewish journalist and naturalist who grew up in the late Hapsburg Empire just before World War One shattered that ancient, multi-national monarchy. Bambi reflects his deep love of the natural world but also his anxieties about the rise of post-war anti-semitism and a deep strain of Jewish mysticism. He would later write another "Bambi Book" (Bambi's Children) and Bambi appears as a character (kind of a Great Prince of the Forest figure and a bit pompous at times) in several of his other stories. The Nazis burned his books and articles, and he barely escaped to Switzerland. The Disney people made movies of many of his books and stories, and Salten's estate sued the Mouseman for infingements. Reportedly, Salten did see the movie and offered no comments on his viewing.

I have most of Salten's books and, from time to time, read the two Bambi books. I commend them to you, DDeer, and hope you would enjoy them but, despite their gentle "happy" endings, they are melancholy and at times dark. It is not a classic "children's book" by any definition. And I'm not "shocked" at your confession, chum - the dwindling number of people who read Bambi now do so because of Disney. Indeed, whatever begudgement I have for Uncle Walt's "adaptions" of such beloved works as Wind in the Willows, Alice in Wonderland, and many other works, his popularizations have probably kept them from fading into evaporation like poor Bing-References to drug paraphernalia are against the rules, so this certainly is not one. in Inside Out.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Lovely work from both Nicky and Rocky! Hope that you will draw more art again in the future!
Tinnier

Post by Tinnier »

Very well done, really very nice Nick :)
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Great drawing of the two Lions Bat, you have caught Simba really well, difficult to get such a distictive style right, I'm intrigued what is going on in the image, is that a recorder and headphones?

Thanks for the information Weston, you are a great source of knowledge :) , I'll pick up a copy of some of Salten's books (first on the list, Bambi), he sounded like an interesting person and the historical aspect is something I never knew about, I did not realise he was Austrian Jewish, did he not give permission for it to be turned into an animation I wonder then? I can imagine him and Walt may not have got along. I would have loved to know what he actually thought of the movie, I don't know why but it reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki of studio Ghibli being asked to comment on his son Goros movie tales of Earthsea (I've seen it, an interesting if disjointed film). It is true that the movie has probably kept the book in circulation, which given the backgound of the two seems somewhat ironic.

There are too few books with Deer as the protragonists, I have read Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davies which is worth a read, that seemed like it couldn't make up it's mind if it was a kids or adults book.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Don't you just hate it when something that seems like its a kids book ends up becoming more and more adult over time when your young child is reading it? I can't imagine that parents would be pleased. :lol:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Animorphs is a children’s science fiction series following a group of kids using transformation technology to stave off an alien invasion and save as many people as they can who were already captured. The series ends with one hero dead, the priority hostage dead, one hero going missing, and another suffering from PTSD after committing what is essentially a war crime. Sometimes reality is harsh.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If stuff like that happened in real life I would be questioning what is the meaning of even living? :|

I'm already questioning how they were able to show a series that ended like that on Nickelodeon back when it was all kids shows. Though they had Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life so there is that.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

...If you hate dark depressing stories turned into Disney movies, never read the original Fox and the Hound. :(
DDeer wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:59 pm Great drawing of the two Lions Bat, you have caught Simba really well, difficult to get such a distictive style right, I'm intrigued what is going on in the image, is that a recorder and headphones?
Thanks. They're supposed to be headphones. Simba is offering to let Kimba listen to Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid... Too soon, Simba... Too soon.

Speaking of too soon, here's Arezzo reunited with Verna in Heaven (https://www.deviantart.com/nleonardo87/ ... -882104506).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I assume that Arezzo because he was fathered by one of Homer's personalities is a half-Celestial and able to get into Heaven? It looks really cool though!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

dryideabat wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:25 pm ...If you hate dark depressing stories turned into Disney movies, never read the original Fox and the Hound. :(
DDeer wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:59 pm Great drawing of the two Lions Bat, you have caught Simba really well, difficult to get such a distictive style right, I'm intrigued what is going on in the image, is that a recorder and headphones?
Thanks. They're supposed to be headphones. Simba is offering to let Kimba listen to Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid... Too soon, Simba... Too soon.
Ah, yes, bad song choice there Simba, I thought he might be listening to the Ciiiirrrrrrrrrrrrccccccccccllllllllllleeeeeeeee of Liiiiiiiiiiiffffffffffeeee! :D
Tinnier

Post by Tinnier »

Nice story and drawing Nick, very well :)
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Thanks everyone. :)
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:04 am I assume that Arezzo because he was fathered by one of Homer's personalities is a half-Celestial and able to get into Heaven? It looks really cool though!
Actually, as will be further clarified (someday), his genetics/heritage and means of birth are a little more complicated. That, and the fact that a "dead celestial" doesn't happen everyday, is why he was first sent to Asambhav and the dimension of nonexistence (I'm not clever with names). Asambhav then bounced him to Heaven for Bahamut to decide what to do with him.

On that note about Arezzo's pedigree, I might as well drop the other shoe. Here's a flashback of when Arezzo's mother first found him. (https://www.deviantart.com/nleonardo87/ ... 1623303389)

Harry Johnathan

Cute but also kinda sad.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He looks really adorable as a baby! Wonderful work!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Snuggles always rate an "awwwwwwww ...." :D
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Arezzo was so cute as a kitten!