Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

D-Rock

Re: Art Thread

Post by D-Rock »

Oliver finally had his long-awaited rematch against Lilith, and it was not going well. No matter what, she seemed to always have the upper hand. His weapon, his training, none of it was helping.
"What's wrong, nephew? Feeling tired? How about I put you down for a nap?"
Oli was having a hard time just standing. He couldn't help but drop the remnants of his trident, now cracked and even having broken tines. In a strange way, he was impressed.
"It's been fun, but all growing boys need their sleep. Good night, nephew."
He could feel her charging up. He knew that Infernals could be strong, but the aura of evil he felt emanating from her was nothing like he dreamed.
At this moment, he felt something. His amulet fell from his body, and he watched as the nigh-indestructible artifact broke in two upon hitting the ground. Looking at the pieces, he remembered his father's words about it.
This is made from Infernal and Celestial materials. Not too different from you, yourself. Remember, no matter the origin, no matter what you are, who you are is always up to you.
Oli knew that he needed to take those words to heart now. It was time that he fully acknowledged what he was.
He was a Celestial. He was an Infernal.
Oli finally tapped into his very essence.
The power that suddenly flowed from his body was enough to give Lilith pause. Soon the little otter in front of her was infused by both writhing shadows and glaring light. After only a moment, both faded, but what she saw in front of her was not the otter she was expecting.
Now standing before her was a grand beast, easily towering over her. In his violet eyes, she could see the intense focus. For the first time since she was born, she felt fear. She was the target. She was the prey.

Oliver had finally Awoken.
Awoken Oliver.png
Awoken Oliver.png (170.96 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Used an older pic of Rick's as a reference for this. Worked rather well, surprisingly.
Had this on repeat as I was working on this.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Dramatic depiction (okay, that's sorta cliche but it's also very true)!
Threatening and ominous, D.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks! Since working on that Paws of Fury storyboard, decided to try my hand at the story for this as well.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think I much rather hang out with the hunky otter now. Even with all that rage on his face he looks so adorable! Lets hope he can be in his Awakened form like his mother without having to be homicidally angry.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Nice drawings D-rock. :D Now I see the family resemblance. Now it's the power of youth and righteousness versus experience, corruption, and disdain. Who will win? Will the young otter finish his malevolent aunt or spare her out of principle?
D-Rock wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:16 am Terrible thing for her to go through, but Fastist was a jerk in his own right. Let's hope the demigod can navigate his way to get her to help. Really cool way of showing her burns!

It is a strange thing for a dove to be an Infernal, but this is actually based on existing mythology. The demon, Halphas, exists within the writings of a thing called the Goetia. It's been a while since I've looked into it, but I think he's one of 72 major demons? He's supposed to give aid to hunters if called upon. Or something like that. Though his design is inspired by the Shin Megami Tensei series, where he has an upper-class suit and sword, odd on an otherwise regular-looking bird.
I looked it up and you're right, Halphas is #38 of the 72 demons. Said to have a hoarse voice...
Halphas (to Fastist): "Vanity is definitely my favorite sin."

Speaking of which, Fastist did not get off easy on this. He wagered his antlers for one of Aureola's hexagonal ice crystal. After Aureola fled into the forest in tears, he had the gall to seek her out and collect his wager. Unfortunately for him, he never specified which of her crystals he wanted. She materialized one before him and he arrogantly marveled at his reflection. It was then that his soul was trapped in the reflection... Yes, it's a bit of a cliche and I basically copied the card Unmake from MTG when making the first picture.

Arezzo was forced to seek out Aureola's help in restoring his forest, which was slowly withering due to powers beyond man/nature. Of course, she was unwilling to help, but Arezzo did not give up. She eventually trapped him in a crystal. There, he saw reflections of himself, of his past, of things lingering in his subconscious, and of the path before of him. He saw glimpses of a strangely familiar yellow chimera he never met before... and of horrid creatures with furnace-like mouths and fiery eyes. Just then, for but a second, his hand emitted the same glow when he fought Mulder. With a powerful punch, he shattered the mirror dimension and emerged out in front of Aureola.

Aureola was stunned from what she just witnessed, allowing Arezzo to finally get in a word. He told her about Verna's sacrifice for their forest. Aureola's scorn seemed to lessen somewhat, enough that she said that she would think about it for a while... Maybe somewhere down the road she'll open-up to him, but it's understandable that these things take time.
Attachments
Arezzo_and_Aureola_sketches.jpg
Arezzo_and_Aureola_sketches.jpg (95.97 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
Fastus.jpg
Fastus.jpg (134.68 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Oliver will likely show Lilith the same mercy that she shows to others.
They don't have the benefit of death.

I imagine that Halphas has some enjoyment to vanity. It's funny seeing their futile efforts to remain as they are.

Frankly, can't feel bad for Fastist, either. Dude has no empathy. Though trapping his soul, harsh punishment, regardless.

That's a lot for Arezzo to go through. It's like the whole "sins of the fathers" going on. I feel confident that when he learns the nature of his heritage, he won't veer off of the path he's already on. Also, the way he comforted Aureola is touching. Reminds me when Batman was comforting the villain, Baby Doll, in the 90s animated series.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really wonderful work on these new pictures Nicky! You are improving quite a lot!

Also Rocky, I would like to see Oliver show no mercy on Sickle someday... :mrgreen:
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

D-Rock wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:20 am Oliver will likely show Lilith the same mercy that she shows to others.
Ah, so death- though very difficult- is for keeps for them; complete obliteration of body and soul. Assuming he has his mommy's stomach in that form, he could just eat Lilith, effectively sending her to ANOTHER DIMENSION! :lol: (DBZ Ocean Dub had its creative moments). ...Then again, it probably wouldn't be a pocket dimension easy or pleasant to visit.

D-Rock wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:20 am That's a lot for Arezzo to go through. It's like the whole "sins of the fathers" going on. I feel confident that when he learns the nature of his heritage, he won't veer off of the path he's already on. Also, the way he comforted Aureola is touching. Reminds me when Batman was comforting the villain, Baby Doll, in the 90s animated series.
Indeed, he will soon find that he has inherited quite a bit from his fathers and will be tested. He will have to choose as he walks the line between order and chaos. And I remember that scene too. "I didn't mean too..." :cry:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

dryideabat wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:40 pm
D-Rock wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:20 am Oliver will likely show Lilith the same mercy that she shows to others.
Ah, so death- though very difficult- is for keeps for them; complete obliteration of body and soul. Assuming he has his mommy's stomach in that form, he could just eat Lilith, effectively sending her to ANOTHER DIMENSION! :lol: (DBZ Ocean Dub had its creative moments). ...Then again, it probably wouldn't be a pocket dimension easy or pleasant to visit.
Guess I should explain myself better. In my views of the characters, they can't be killed, at all. They can be beaten unconcious, sealed away, but not killed or destroyed. Primarily because I never liked the idea of annihilationism. It feels like a much worse fate than death; just ceasing to even exist.

As for the second part, alright, not gonna lie, that possibility was never off the table, despite how much I say it won't happen. Being stuck in a living prison is definitely quite a way of being dealt with. And no, most definitely not pleasant.

I've previously posted a thing stating that any level of non-consensual soul binding is forbidden, and for someone like Mirage Oliver in this form to prey on a mortal while still a Celestial, that would ultimately be a form of soul binding, and a grievous betrayal of fate at that as well. That's why she's usually bluffing when she threatens something like this to someone like Harriet.

Though she has her limits on patience, and Harriet is only a shard of a soul...
dryideabat wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:40 pm
D-Rock wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:20 am That's a lot for Arezzo to go through. It's like the whole "sins of the fathers" going on. I feel confident that when he learns the nature of his heritage, he won't veer off of the path he's already on. Also, the way he comforted Aureola is touching. Reminds me when Batman was comforting the villain, Baby Doll, in the 90s animated series.
Indeed, he will soon find that he has inherited quite a bit from his fathers and will be tested. He will have to choose as he walks the line between order and chaos. And I remember that scene too. "I didn't mean too..." :cry:
Here's hoping that everything he learned from his adoptive momma is kept to heart. It's not what you are, but who you are that matters, a choice he himself has to make. And free will is a powerful thing.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Ah, yes, you did mention your views against annihilationism and I am inclined to agree. Even though souls like Lilith may never change, they're still sentient/conscious. No being should be so frivolously purged and deprived of any chance of learning the error of their ways (even if they're doomed to the Infernal Realm, regardless).

Free will really is a wondrous gift/burden.

Anyway, I'll leave for now with one more sketch I made for a friend. This is the semi-complete version; only they have the complete original article.
Attachments
Haku_sketch.jpg
Haku_sketch.jpg (96.47 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Looking great, man!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really nice work like always Nicky!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Finally made this height comparison. Added Peanut for reference. Decided to just leave this as a rough, partially to get this out, partially to get myself comfortable with simply posting sketches.
Macabre gets the literal short end of the stick. His height doesn't change in Bone Lord form. And yeah, Oliver becomes a tall boy.
rough height comparison.png
rough height comparison.png (223.46 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Lilith probably would fear being eaten by this thing, Bat. :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Awakened Tall Oliver may be a really tall boy who is even bigger than his mother in Celestial form but you still looks like the same adorable otter that swims in air like before. As I said, he's now my new favorite character of yours. Sickle must be SO relieved. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Comparative height references are always invaluable.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Nice reference sheet. Looks like Oliver has control over his awakened form here, or at least is not white-hot with rage. And he got his amulet replaced.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its funny how in her enhanced form Mirage is still serious as all get out but Macabre and Oliver look neutral. Guess that is why when Mirage hulks out you know its serious business.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, much of Macabre's face is bone in this form. It's not just him wearing a helmet. I'm debating making him still capable of emoting like this. I think I did so in this form's earliest incarnations.
And yeah, Oliver was always in control of this form. I was just showing the moment he knew he had to fight his hardest. And I'm going with the idea that he simply had the amulet reforged after the battle. It means too much to him.

In the meantime, decided to do something a tad bit different; bio sheets on their individual forms.
Attachments
CelestialMirageBioSheet.png
CelestialMirageBioSheet.png (223.58 KiB) Viewed 4643 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can only imagine how many times Sickle had to deal with this form. :D
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

We've already seen one (getting stuffed into a soda can), though I do hold that she does this rather often. And when she ate him.

Anyway, gave Macabre's Bone Lord form another revamp. Bio on it and Oliver's Awakened form will come in the future.
Attachments
BoneLordMacabreV3.png
BoneLordMacabreV3.png (100.73 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wonderful job as always. So is his bone mask gonna have expressions or is it going to be stationary?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yeah, he can still show expressions with it.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Got the last two bio sheets for the moment.
Attachments
BoneLordMacabreBioSheet.png
BoneLordMacabreBioSheet.png (231.93 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
AwakenedOliverBioSheet.png
AwakenedOliverBioSheet.png (213.87 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Next up for Oliver: speech lessons in his awakened form. XD
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

nah, just teach big ollie to speak wookie. work with the limited vocal range instead of against it.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Only problem with that is I can't speak wookie. The only language I can probably help him with and that is a BIG probably is English. DX
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I kinda see conversations with Awakened Oliver like this. Scroll to the bottom. https://xxtc-96xx.tumblr.com/post/61988 ... osen-mommy
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So he would have a telepathic conversation with you?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It would essentially work like that with other Celestials and Infernals. Mortals would only hear the sounds he makes, not the words, like the Riolu in the provided link.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Then again, I take it that this form is mainly needed in situations when talking doesn't work.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Essentially, yeah.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So then it wouldn't be used all too much and probably not used if Oliver suddenly got hit in the face with a pie.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Made some torcs for Vex.

Inhibitor Torc - Infernal-made accessory made to limit Vex’s immense power.
Precious Vines - Infernal-made jewelry, initially belonging to a noble. Vex won it in a bet.
Pious Torc - crafted from mortal materials salvaged from disused religious accessories. Due to Vex not truly allying with Hell, these have no negative effect on him.
Spiked Collar - Vex fashioned this from mortal-made scrap pieces. While he liked the look, found it was rather uncomfortable.
Golden Bells - Mortal-made jewelry with magnetic clasps.
Lunar Brilliance - Celestial artifact given to Vex for his help in stopping a grand threat from a sealed Infernal bent on conquest.
Reminder of Love - Vex had this fashioned as a physical reminder of someone he loved allowing him to bind her soul to him, in order to deny Hell from taking her.
Attachments
466FF1E4-7335-4E1E-8EED-99B04A9D0D80.png
466FF1E4-7335-4E1E-8EED-99B04A9D0D80.png (107.08 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They all do really look very wonderful! Nice work as always!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks! Been a while since I designed jewelry.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It was brought to my attention the other night that several of my characters didn't have proper bio sheets. So spent a while remedying that.
BaruqBioSheet.png
BaruqBioSheet.png (167.79 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
LauranaBioSheet.png
LauranaBioSheet.png (182.51 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
BehemothBioSheet.png
BehemothBioSheet.png (165.48 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
GretchenBioSheet.png
GretchenBioSheet.png (179.84 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
OliverBioSheet.png
OliverBioSheet.png (185.96 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I still think Oliver is adorable which is a bad thing considering what I want to do to characters that I like. >_<
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Hello all, some great art on these pages (Oliver Otter looks a dapper chap above, also liked the deer dryideabat, deer are hard to draw!), as I'm new I thought I'd contribute and post a few bits I've been working on, more for my own amusement really, any comments welcome :-) .

Tristan is a fox, the idea with the strip is in each one he would "try" a different activity, these activities would not be connected and be purely on whatever I think up at the time. As you can see our hero is pretty easy going and unflappable (or you could just say I'm lazy and didn't bother changing his expression).

Done to get me used to some new graphics software (I usually draw by hand). Anyway let me know what you think, I may do some more sometime when the whim takes me.

Daunted
Tristan Tries - Art.jpg
Tristan Tries - Art.jpg (47.32 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
Tristan Tries - Teleportation.jpg
Tristan Tries - Teleportation.jpg (25.11 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
Last edited by DDeer on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disproportionately Dappled
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Pretty neat.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really grate work there DDeer! I like what you were able to create!