Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

D-Rock

Re: Art Thread

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks! Vex and Harriet is next. I guess if I really keep things going, I could eventually do Laurana and Behemoth. Considering Halphas and Gretchen, though I've made it clear that their relationship is one of opportunity, not love.

And to be fair to Trevor and Nikolai, most other necromancers use their arts for deliberately evil purposes. Nikolai does it just because he can, but does no real harm to the populace with it. While on the callous side, Nikolai doesn't see the harm in using a body that a soul isn't using anymore. He will not allow the power he grants to be used for evil purposes.

Edit: Just realized that I was in such a rush to finish this that I forgot the heart. :|
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Didn't you say that Halphas doesn't have feelings for anybody since his marriage to Gretchen was just business and he won't have any feelings for anybody?

Anyway more couple names: Verriet and Behana. :D
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Which is why I'm unsure about doing one for Halphas and Gretchen.

Anyway, fixed this. Forgot to do the heart.
Attachments
Kiss Me part 3.png
Kiss Me part 3.png (72.11 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Love the couples, D-Rock <3
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So I take the heart to mean that Nikolai has yellow blood?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Like every other Celestial character I have.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Derp. I was thinking about Macabre and his blood being different which is why I thought that everybody had different color blood. You know like everybody had different color tongues on Ed, Edd'n Eddy?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Never noticed that detail until recently, as I wasn’t that big into the series when it came on.

Anyway, as a reminder, going with the idea that Celestial blood is gold, Infernal blood is purple, and mortal blood varies based on species, but in this instance, red.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It was the first thing I noticed and the 7-year old me that watched it wondered if they were suffering from something. XD

You still need to figure out Oliver's blood you said. You don't like brown since it looks rotten and yellow and violet makes brown (yellow and purple also make brown) so what about ocean blue? (hexadecimal RGB is 4F42B5 and the decimal RGB color code is rgb(79,66,181))
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I should thank you for the reminder. Think I'll go with a bright blue. That was one of the colors I considered with Macabre. At least when recoloring his internals.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then don't use Ocean Blue since that is a dark blue. LOL
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Hence why I specified bright blue. I looked up that color code prior to posting.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I moved on to trying to think of what color would be good for him. I am actually about to recommend what shade of blue is good for a character's BLOOD.

Just more proof I have a screw loose.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

that or you've read too much homestuck if you think colors other than red and cyan exist.
your blood gets it's color from the oxygen carying protein in your blood cells. and there's only 2 of said protein on earth, hemoglobin (iron based, Red) and hemocyanin (copper based, cyan).
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Hey, long time no see! :D

I’ve actually yet to check out Homestuck, but from what I’ve learned it’s quite a daunting task.

I just figured as I’m working on celestial fan characters where Celestials don’t have too much lore to them, I can fill in my own blanks. :)

Will admit, though, that’s pretty interesting information on blood color. Only animal I’m actually aware of with blue blood was the horseshoe crab.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

HOLY CRAP! It looks like Buster has finally come back! Things are about to get a lot more lively around her! I thought you left for good. QUICK! Get the net!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

has been back for the entire month and hasn't made a single post outside the rp section save for here.

uh... yeah... lively... sure...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That would explain it. So I guess you are gonna stay in the RP board and post within only that?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Glad yer back, Buster. Missed yahs. ;)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Harriet: "Is it safe for me to be in this kind of relationship with a demon?"
Vex: "Look, it's fine. I'm not going to 'devour your soul' or whatever it is that you overimaginative mortals tend to think up with us. Besides, are we really the weirdest pairing?"
Kiss Me 4.png
Kiss Me 4.png (129.9 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Finally cutting Harriet a break. Sometime after finally giving up on winning over Nikolai, Vex takes an interest in her, and despite having to deal with her issues, they eventually hit if off.

Also did this the other day.
Shield Designs.png
Shield Designs.png (160.07 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Village Protector - While the insignia varies, these wooden shields are common sights in smaller settlements.
Serpent's Stare - Used by those employed by a specific band of marauders as the first line of defense. Wholly impractical, with the idea that a wall of bodies is better than a wall of shields. Said idea was impractical as well.
Magic Nullifier - Enchanted shield meant to dissipate the power of magic in all forms. However, there is a limit to this, and should it be overused, it will shatter.
Eye of Evil - Shield used by those guarding sorcerers practicing arcane arts. It is rumored that the eyes painted on them is enchanted, allowing sorcerers to see what their guard is seeing.
Emerging Dawn - Used by self-proclaimed "holy hunters." Despite this, the shield is incredibly durable when up against the forces of darkness. Against everything else, it's a standard shield.
Holy Magnet - A blessed shield meant to draw in all forms of attacks, from arrows, to magic, to the strike of another blade. Invaluable when keeping enemies away from a more important target. However, the blessing could only work on less-than-stellar materials, making the shield itself somewhat fragile.

Some shields I made the other night. After some talking, decided that Mirage's mother, Laurana, would use shields as her weapons, and Behemoth and Arin would use their own styles of hand-to-hand. I'll get to making a proper set of shields for Laurana soon.

Also mentioned that Aria and Lilith still don't have weapon types. I know I want to give Aria some sort of blade, most likely a sai, but still undecided on Lilith. something that would fit her sadistic personality.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really wonderful job on all of this! I love the way your artwork comes out!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks! In all honesty, not sure if I should get to a shield set for Laurana or continue with the couples series and make one for Behemoth/Laurana and Gretchen/Halphas.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Didn't you decide against the latter since they got married (or whatever the term that Celestials/Infernals) use for business and not for love?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:24 am I guess if I really keep things going, I could eventually do Laurana and Behemoth. Considering Halphas and Gretchen, though I've made it clear that their relationship is one of opportunity, not love.
No. Never said I wouldn’t.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I still think that it would be cool is Halphas did fall in love since he is the lesser of two evils.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Laurana: "You always know how to reassure me."
Behemoth: "Of course. That Macabre fellow has never given us reason to fear for our baby."
Kiss Me 5.png
Kiss Me 5.png (102.71 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
Laurana and Behemoth, Mirage's mother and father. Laurana is more on the cautious side, while Behemoth is much more laid back. Which makes their relationship more odd; Behemoth is among the original angels, yet is lower ranked than Laurana. He doesn't mind this, though.

May God have mercy on the soul that decides either of them is worth crossing, though.

And to finish the series;
Halphas: "Fine day, is it not?"
Gretchen: "Any day I can revel in the cries of the cursed is a fine one to me."
Halphas: "...That is every day, but it is a grand feeling to have enjoyment so constantly, I understand. :| "
Kiss Me 6.png
Kiss Me 6.png (105.41 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
There's no real love between them. That's why the hearts are like that.

So a few redesigns while I was at this. Laurana's pattern reverted back to her original, while adding rigid spines on her head, as I wasn't fond of how she looked without them. Gretchen also got ears added.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Can you just FEEL the love and the devotion that Halphas and Gretchen have for each other in that picture? A couple truly worth striving to be like!

Just so you know, I am joking because of the obvious coldness between the two of them and thought that it would be comical. I'm explaining because I know mu humor goes over everybody's head.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Not sure how that level of sarcasm could be missed, especially with the immediately available context clues.

Anyway, made some shields for Laurana.
lauranashields.png
lauranashields.png (212.63 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Dhàl – An ornate yet basic small shield. Laurana uses this for practice sessions.
Aegis V1 – The original shield used by Athena. Upon forging a new one, the original was made the prize in a tournament, which Laurana won. Has an incredibly polished surface like a mirror.
Token of Gratitude – At one time Laurana was tasked with guarding a vulnerable settlement. During this time, many inhabitants feared her due to her appearance. Once settled, Laurana was set to leave, but one of the villagers gave her this simple shield as a symbol of thanks. They were the only one to see her off. Laurana had since tempered the shield to increase durability.
Frost Fang – An ambitious blacksmith wanted to create a shield that allowed for better use of pole arms from behind the shield. Due to the design, it was a failure. Laurana did like how it looked, however.
Face of Anguish – A forbidden Infernal weapon, as it contained the soul of one who was tricked into a demonic contract, leaving their visage on it. Laurana was tasked with punishing the Infernal and freeing the soul. She succeeded, sending the Infernal to a low order of Hell and allowing the soul to enter the proper afterlife. Laurana kept the shield, however, as the dark method of creating it made it one of the best handling and durable shields she’s ever used.
Barbarian's Set – An old mortal-made set, with a sheath built right into the shield, likely meant to make the sword easy to access. Whether by defect or time, the sword cannot be removed without breaking it, though Laurana was able to use the jutting sword as a cutting edge in combat.
Radiant Dawn – Laurana’s personal shield. In terms of handling and durability, none are its equal. It is, however, perfectly attuned to Laurana herself, meaning that no one else will be able to use as well as she can. On important missions, this is her weapon of choice.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have to tell you, the Face of Anguish shield kind of scares me. Not sure I would want it around even if it was that useful. :|
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Then I did what I set out to do. :mrgreen:

Dang, now I want to make a page talking about this kind of weapon forging.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You said that all celestials and infernals know how to craft their own weapons right? Since you did play with making Rocky a blacksmith at one point.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I made it clear that not all of them just know. Oliver’s first attempt was a failure. Macabre is more of a craftsman. I’m thinking Nikolai would work a smith, but I have mentioned that other forge gods from existing myths and legends existed, specifically Hephaestus from Greek mythology.
For most of them, someone else made their items.

However, I had an idea regarding “forbidden crafting,” which led to the Face of Anguish. Mortal souls make the item forged perfect, regardless of the skill of the smith. It’ll just get the practitioner into a LOT of trouble. I hope to fully explain this in the future.

Also, what does Rocky have to do with this?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Because you said before you just decided to make him be your online persona only was that you were playing with making him some sort of blacksmith who made weapons. It might not have been Rocky but you said you were gonna do something else with him that you were thinking of.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Now I definitely hear Halphas with Al Pacino's voice. "It's not personal, Gretchen. It's strictly business." I again find it ironic how he's a dove: normally a symbol of peace. Nice redesigns.

That Face of Anguish though. Like if the moon from Majora's mask and Ursula had a baby and that baby did a fusion dance with Giygas.

Here's a character that I debated about giving over to the squirrels with hacksaws, but thought of an overly-elaborate hackneyed story for her. Meet Aureola: a Husky enchantress with the power of illusions. She can control both ice crystals and sunlight... making her a sundog... heh? heh?

Anyway, she was one of the several beings alongside Verna who long ago received a limited supply of very powerful magic(k). She was one of the shyer members of the group, too shy to profess her love for a strapping young wolf named Vanguard. From time to time, she secretly used her powers to help Vanguard with his ideas to advance wolf-kind.

However, her favors toward this one wolf were noticed by another from her clan; a vain buck named Fastist who never even knew who she was until then. Fastist grew jealous. He wagered her that Vanguard was as vain as he was and challenged her to reveal what she did and confess her love... under the condition that her face was donned with severe burns.

She accepted the wager and eventually set-up a meeting with Vanguard, now a wealthy elite of his forest. At the meeting, she could no longer contain herself and forgot her shyness. She uncloaked herself, revealing the burns on her face, her assistance in his success, and her feelings toward him. Unfortunately, her love was only met with horror and disgust. "My success was my own doing!" he growled. "And, no offence, but I'm a little out of your league!"

Aureola fled into the deepest darkest part of the forest. She made it so that anyone- even her friend Verna- who passed a specific river would get lost.

Sometime before she died, Verna had revealed to Arezzo that there were others like her scattered/hidden around the world. She told Arezzo of Aureola's sad story and general whereabouts. As things began to deteriorate in Arezzo's forest, he grew desperate and went to seek her out for help...

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Terrible thing for her to go through, but Fastist was a jerk in his own right. Let's hope the demigod can navigate his way to get her to help. Really cool way of showing her burns!

It is a strange thing for a dove to be an Infernal, but this is actually based on existing mythology. The demon, Halphas, exists within the writings of a thing called the Goetia. It's been a while since I've looked into it, but I think he's one of 72 major demons? He's supposed to give aid to hunters if called upon. Or something like that. Though his design is inspired by the Shin Megami Tensei series, where he has an upper-class suit and sword, odd on an otherwise regular-looking bird.

Funny thing about the Face of Anguish. I was inspired by the Mirror Shield in Majora's Mask. One of the creepier redesigns I've seen. Though I looked up images online to reference the face.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really wonderful picture that you did of her! It came out really lovely Nicky!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Mirage after indulging herself a bit.
After The Hunt.png
After The Hunt.png (143.31 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
She can hunt in either form, though her Celestial form makes it a bit easier to take down larger prey.

Used Gale as a reference.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Reminds me of me after I pound down two or more television dinners. :lol:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Understandable. Hard to find a filling one.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But I really need to be careful since my mother's brother died of a heart attack and hypercholesterolemia runs in our family.