Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Art Thread

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really looks very nice! I think it came out awesome!

How I wish I could talk to Nick again but I know he is too busy being a famous weatherperson now.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I imagine you could send him a note and he’ll get to you when he can.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I didn't think he comes here anymore which is why I said that.

At ALL.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Decided to make some weapons that Oliver would wield.
oliverstridents.png
oliverstridents.png (86.64 KiB) Viewed 5073 times
Fishing Spear – Basic fishing tool. With his love of fish, Oliver opted to wield this.
Devil’s Pitchfork – Infernal artifact that is assigned to every young demon. Oliver made off with this during his second attempt at infiltrating Hell, as his first attempt failed when he was seen using his personal trident.
Gungnir Replica – A reproduction of the personal spear of the god, Odin. Nowhere near as powerful of the original, though does make for a strong weapon.
Gáe Bulg Replica – A reproduction of the personal spear of the demigod who went by the name of Cu Chulainn. The original is an incredibly vicious spear, said to be full of thorns on its head. The reproduction has no such detail.
Poseidon’s Trident Replica – A reproduction of Poseidon’s personal weapon. Unlike the original, the reproduction has no control over the elements. Its only enchantment is that it will never break.
Betwixt Spear – Oliver’s first attempt at a personal weapon, modeled after his amulet. Despite being made with Celestial items, the structural integrity of the weapon is very poor and prone to chipping due to Oliver’s inexperience with weapon forging.
Rising Tides – Oliver’s second attempt at a personal weapon. Like Oliver himself, this weapon has limited control over the water in the environment. Said water also becomes consecrated, making it a powerful weapon against denizens of Hell.

I'm liking the idea that Oliver used the Betwixt Spear during his initial infiltration.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So does every single heaven or hell denizen know how to forge their own weapons because you said he was inexperienced with weapon-forging which made me think that it is known trait or knowledge that can be learned.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

"Inexperienced" could mean that they are just learning or haven't learned at all by the time of the making of something. Like with all skills, it takes time to do it right, especially with the lower orders.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But all Celestials and Infernals know how to craft weapons or will learn to?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

No. Otherwise gods like Hephaestus would be out of a job. Greek god of the forge, among other types of crafts.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

This was a prompt from Dayzee on Discord.
Of all the ways you could get back at Sickle, a pie to the face is the only method he finds unacceptable.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Was wondering when you would get around to posting this on here. Now we just got to figure out who the doomed Celestial is. :mrgreen:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The 24-hour double-posting rule. While a workaround to this exists in regards to projects that have new things that need to be shared, didn't think this thread warranted it.

Also, go ahead and figure out who that character is on your own. It's none of my existing characters, and I have no intention of making someone for the role.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Some knives for Harriet.
harrietknives.png
harrietknives.png (61.76 KiB) Viewed 4980 times
Kitchen Knife – Upon awakening in her new form, this is the first weapon Harriet obtained and used.
Emerald Stiletto – Found in the home of a collector who tried to keep Harriet as a pet. Harriet was not involved in his death, but she kept the stiletto.
Windshear – A fake knife designed by Sickle. Has no offensive properties.
Switch Blade – Belonged to an attempted assailant that Harriet saw going after others. This was among the few times Harriet acted altruistically.
Remorse of the Gods – Sacrificial knife belonging to a now-disbanded cult. Enchanted to maximize the pain caused to its victims. After it was found by Harriet, it was confiscated by Nikolai.
Hunting Knife – A keepsake from when a human tried to hunt down Harriet. Possibly the only moment where she acted on self-defense.
Talon – A rather strange knife, Harriet has been unable to determine its origin. Despite being incredibly sharp and durable, Harriet wasn’t the biggest fan of how its shape affected how it was used.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Impressive (and colorful) armory.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks. In all honesty, I don't think anyone else will get a set like this. Well, one less thing to worry about.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, I'm not sure who I'd trust with a collection like that.... Probably not someone with anger issues.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Doubt Harriet is any better. She suffers from occasional murderous desires. She's gotten better at fighting that back. Still, she's a very jealous person.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

A more experimental piece. Wanted to try coloring with the color pencil brush.
Wanted to draw something good and wholesome.
This is the song that inspired it. https://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoi ... d83LQcF7dY

Also did a version where even the line work was done with the pencil brush.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Very sweet.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks.
magicbookminirespublic.jpg
magicbookminirespublic.jpg (152.97 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
My first attempt at making sellable art.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Awesome spell book D-rock. Clearly something you want in your hands. I'm honestly not 100% sure how sellable art works on DA.
Oliver is so cute. And Macabre's ribs wrapping around to embrace Mirage is a nice tender- albeit a bit unnerving- little touch. :D
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Frankly, I'm just hoping that someone interested sees it. Could use an extra source of income.

I was hoping I would have captured that kind of mood with Macabre using his ribs like that. The initial plan was to have it be a simple embrace, but my inexperience with drawing actual body contact and suddenly remembering that detail got me this.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It may be unnerving but it did come out very wonderful!
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

I agree. It adds a special charm to Macabre and his relationship with Mirage.

Here are a couple of storyboard/concept art sketches to go along with telling a little bit more about Arezzo.

Arezzo is a gentle innocent giant who does not like conflict, granted nothing of earth ever posed a physical threat to him. For example, a hunter once shot him with a rifle, but the bullet bounced off his head. Sufficed to say that the hunter ran off in terror as Arezzo approached him to kindly return his bullet.

Unfortunately, things in Arezzo's forest turned for the worst after its protector, Verna, passed away. Beasts began to turn against one another on a dime, such as Lulu (wolf on the right), who we see here getting ready to mutilate Gene (buck on the left) for eating her favorite flowers.

Arezzo's peace-loving nature would be put to the test upon the arrival of a relentless assassin named Butch (known as The Soul Retriever in the criminal underworld). Armed with enough advanced tech and weaponry to conquer a small country, he has successfully completed 32 consecutive assignments. However, he secretly uses the money to help his owner: a sick elderly man in great debt.

Butch was hired to terminate Gene. Arezzo repeatedly thwarted Butch's attempts again and again, though always allowing him to escape. On their third confrontation, Arezzo was forced to kill the assassin.

Lulu noticed that Butch dropped a cellphone and found a picture of him with his elderly owner. She chose not to tell Arezzo and destroy the phone to spare him additional grief.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The world can be cruel to the innocent and the desperate, can’t it? :(
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The artwork really came out very nicely Nick! Great job! The story is really tragic though.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Good sketches and story, Nicholas. ;) Very nice work with all your draws, D-Rock. :)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Been wanting to get to this particular character for a while now. Meet the mortal spellsword, pact-holder of Nikolai, and his eventual boyfriend, Trevor.
blacksablecharacter.png
blacksablecharacter.png (99.26 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
Trevor Bio.png
Trevor Bio.png (180.33 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
I've been wanting to cut Nikolai a break for a while. The guy he had a major crush on is uninterested in romance (told this to Dayzee earlier, Sickle is asexual) and he's practically chased by Harriet, someone he's uninterested in. Then I thought, let's finally give him a boyfriend. Since this decision, I had his species set, but didn't have a name and changed up the occupation. Initially, Trevor was a random wizard, then thought it'd be kinda weird for a generic wizard to want to form a pact with a necromancer.

So I decided to get weirder and made him a mercenary who hated undead and necromancers.

As stated, to get strong enough, Trevor had to settle for either Nikolai or an Infernal, and the latter is a line he'd never cross. It took some time before he fully started to trust his benefactor, even if he was a Celestial who didn't do anything outright evil with his powers.

I didn't think he'd fit within the HP world to start, so I made him so that with Nikolai's blessing, he could essentially world-hop, and that's why he has both a clothed and unclothed variant. He's comfortable with either, anyway. I might make this same excuse for Marble and David, really. Only way I can think of to get them involved with HP characters with the way I set those characters up.

Plus, I found the idea of a Celestial and a mortal to be a cute concept. Too bad Zeus kinda gave that a bad name...

And now I want to give him his own weapon set. I do this to myself a lot.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Always love your work, bat. You too, D-Rock. You two craft very interesting characters and fanon.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Thanks everyone. :D If it makes anyone feel a little better, I thought about having Lulu find Butch's dad to discover that he had sunk his money in Humane Underground Genetic Engineering (the same folks who made Harrison) and even gave Butch one of their products without his knowledge or consent. Lulu would then say to herself, "Okay, don't feel bad anymore. This guy's a monster." Then again, perhaps this would lessen the emotional impact of Lulu's decision to spare Arezzo the pain of the truth.

Looks like Nikolai found a little romance in his necromance... N-never mind. I like the attitude in his picture. I assume that much of his sword-based weaponry would have some sort of fire aspect to it to deal with the undead?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks, Nathan!

Well, Bat, there's a lot to question regarding how to weave a story. Do you want to lessen the tragedy (his owner doesn't deserve pity), take it another direction (owner was forced into it/Butch loved his owner no matter what), or stick with it. In the end, your choice. Sometimes moral ambiguity is a good thing. Sometimes we have to make peace with the fact that a "right answer" doesn't exist.

I was considering fire-based enchantments for Trevor's weapons. His initial set right here is a silver sword, which in some stories is highly effective on undead, and a dagger with a wand molded in the handle, letting him cast magic from it, which of course includes fire. Other ideas for his set include sanctified weapons, provided courtesy of NIkolai. I might look into other materials in fiction and folklore that have an advantage over undead. I'm sure I'll find some interesting things.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

I originally sided with an ending that struck upon moral ambiguity. Indeed, life is not always black and white and sometimes we must make difficult choices and never look back. I guess I asked in case people were truly bored with many of my pitched plots ending on depressing notes and spit-balled an idea for a somewhat lighter twist. Regardless, I probably will never have time to flesh these out, but they are at least food for thought.

Iron is also an interesting element that was commonly thought to ward off evil spirits, faeries, and other supernatural beings (though zombies?). Otherwise, I'll be interested in what you find.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I also will look forward to exactly what you are planning to do with his weapons! He sounds like a very awesome character! Nice job drawing him also!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So I was able to whip these up for Trevor's weapons.
trevorswordanddagger.png
trevorswordanddagger.png (152.46 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
Silver sword and Magical Dagger – A specially crafter sword designed to cause as much damage to the undead, including zombies, vampires, and haunts. The dagger has a magic wand used as the hilt, allowing for the use of magical attacks as well as a side arm.
Scimitar – A curved blade Trevor was able to buy off of a traveling merchant. It holds no magical properties and is not made of a material that is overly-effective on Trevor’s usual targets. It is, however, incredibly sharp, moreso than his Silver Sword.
Flame Edge and Salt Dagger – Surprisingly effective items made by amateur demon hunters Trevor met. The Flame Edge is an fire-enchanted sword, while the dagger is made of consecrated salt attached to a handle. Incredibly useful against dark forces, though Trevor was not fond of the handling of the Flame Edge and the Salt Dagger was poorly constructed, breaking after a few strikes.
Sickle and Hook Knife – Trevor was once tasked with taking out a necromancer who had travelled the world for “resources.” Upon their defeat, Trevor found that they had collected a number of weapons from various locations as well. These weapons caught his eyes.
Iron Sword and Holy Knife – Basic iron was found to be surprisingly useful against certain magical forces, and was easy to come by. The knife was designed and consecrated by a priest of a village Trevor was staying at. The former was useful against all manner of foes, while the latter only worked on darker forces, and useless against any of the living.
Heartful Cry – At one point, a haunt taking the form of a female hare came to Trevor. To his surprise, she was not hostile, but rather seemed saddened. She merely gave him a knife, stating, “you win,” before disappearing. Upon bringing this strange event to Nikolai, all the demi-god said was that he knew who the haunt was, and not to worry about anything anymore.
Beyond Death – A set of weapons Nikolai forged from severed Infernal artifacts and his own magic as a gift to trevor. Both are made to be the most effective and best-handling of Trevor’s weaponry, though they can run out of charge, requiring time to return to full effectiveness.

You know, I made my rabbit, David, a dagger-wielder, maybe I'll consider a set for him in the future. I've already drawn him with a wooden dagger.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wow, I missed a lot of great art! Gotta pay better attention!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Very incredible job! You always make good weapons!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks! Not sure if I want to work on those daggers immediately or see if I want to do something else. We'll see.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Whatever you do I am sure that it will be very exclusive and nobody else will copy it!
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

That's some pretty sick-looking weaponry, D-Rock. :D
While I'm all for an iron sword any day (hey, they work well enough against zombies in Minecraft), the Beyond Death has that neat hook. Perhaps it can be used to pull down shields?

Well, here's a half-baked idea I thought of for Kevin's brothers and sisters. From left to right there's Helga, Apollo, and Zeus. Helga is part of a biker gang out west and does not get along well with authority figures like Kevin. Apollo and Zeus are owned by a private detective and are also somewhat at odds with Kevin. However, when Babylon Gardens P.D. holds a family contest of athleticism, Kevin is forced to reconnect with his siblings.

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

dryideabat wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:21 pm That's some pretty sick-looking weaponry, D-Rock. :D
While I'm all for an iron sword any day (hey, they work well enough against zombies in Minecraft), the Beyond Death has that neat hook. Perhaps it can be used to pull down shields?
I may have had that idea subconsciously in mind. I knew I wanted something hooked, with the idea of drawing the target closer for a dagger strike, I just ended up cutting what I had in mind. Initially, I was going to give Trevor a hook sword. I've only ever seen those dual-wielded, so I thought it'd be an interesting change, but alas, wanted these designs more. Beyond Death was the most on-a-whim design of all of them. The others I had at least considered before sketching. All I knew with the last one was that I wanted to implement Nikolai's heart and skull inserts, especially the latter, as it's Nikolai's final "weapon" on his sheet.
dryideabat wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:21 pm Well, here's a half-baked idea I thought of for Kevin's brothers and sisters. From left to right there's Helga, Apollo, and Zeus. Helga is part of a biker gang out west and does not get along well with authority figures like Kevin. Apollo and Zeus are owned by a private detective and are also somewhat at odds with Kevin. However, when Babylon Gardens P.D. holds a family contest of athleticism, Kevin is forced to reconnect with his siblings.
Here's hoping that some competition will let them open up to each other.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really wonderful job on how these came out Nick! Is one of them single? XD