Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Vespier Leo

Re: Art Thread

Post by Vespier Leo »

Very Cute Shyanne And good work Zander! :D

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

just a gift art for a very close friend of mine.

Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

Very Cute Shyanne! :)

--Vespier R. Leo
Zander

Post by Zander »

Same picture, but with anti-alaised lines and converted to vector.

Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

hey Zander? How do you do you're outlining? On a tablet? Also..wanna do an art trade? :)
Zander

Post by Zander »

No, i sketch it on bristol paper, which i get at my local hobby lobby, then i outline it with my steadtler, or my Prismacolorpens, both somewhere between 14-20$, after which i use pink erasers, (cheap, at walmart.) to erase the sketch marks from the pencil, because of the quality of the pens, they stay behind, but the pencil erases. after which i put it on my Hp Scanjet 4890 scanner(500$), and set the feature to "black and white" and set the dpi to 200 (unless i want it a high res, it goes up to 10,000).
I color it in photoshop, (no advanced settings needed, since the lines are alaised all you need is the paint-bucket tool. Then i put it through a licensed version of 'Vector magic' which converts it to lines and strokes, and makes it so i can change it to any size and not loose definition.

x3

oh, and sure, but im working on my com- COMPETION! uhh.. yeah.. thats what i was going to say.. *runs off*

oh, and to show the size of some of my drawings, the above character's eye is the size of my thumb-nail.

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Zander wrote:No, i sketch it on bristol paper, which i get at my local hobby lobby, then i outline it with my steadtler, or my Prismacolorpens, both somewhere between 14-20$, after which i use pink erasers, (cheap, at walmart.) to erase the sketch marks from the pencil, because of the quality of the pens, they stay behind, but the pencil erases. after which i put it on my Hp Scanjet 4890 scanner(500$), and set the feature to "black and white" and set the dpi to 200 (unless i want it a high res, it goes up to 10,000).
I color it in photoshop, (no advanced settings needed, since the lines are alaised all you need is the paint-bucket tool. Then i put it through a licensed version of 'Vector magic' which converts it to lines and strokes, and makes it so i can change it to any size and not loose definition.

x3

oh, and sure, but im working on my com- COMPETION! uhh.. yeah.. thats what i was going to say.. *runs off*

oh, and to show the size of some of my drawings, the above character's eye is the size of my thumb-nail.
see i try to use my scanner..but when i use black and white there are these small black dots around the picture though.. http://www.amazon.com/HP-Deskjet-F4280- ... B0015ZLHRE so i outline with micron pens and have to take a digital picture and then touch up the outlines/run it through a few filters on photoshop sadly it takes awhile.. :C maybe i should use the paper that you use..maybe that's it..or my crappy scanner..oh well..so er is that a yes or no for the trade? lol
Zander

Post by Zander »

Shyanne wrote:
Zander wrote:No, i sketch it on bristol paper, which i get at my local hobby lobby, then i outline it with my steadtler, or my Prismacolorpens, both somewhere between 14-20$, after which i use pink erasers, (cheap, at walmart.) to erase the sketch marks from the pencil, because of the quality of the pens, they stay behind, but the pencil erases. after which i put it on my Hp Scanjet 4890 scanner(500$), and set the feature to "black and white" and set the dpi to 200 (unless i want it a high res, it goes up to 10,000).

x3

see i try to use my scanner..but when i use black and white there are these small black dots around the picture though.. http://www.amazon.com/HP-Deskjet-F4280- ... B0015ZLHRE so i outline with micron pens and have to take a digital picture and then touch up the outlines/run it through a few filters on photoshop sadly it takes awhile.. :C maybe i should use the paper that you use..maybe that's it..or my crappy scanner..oh well..so er is that a yes or no for the trade? lol

yes its a yes. And i don't think its your scanner, wait, do you sketch it in pencil first? then outline it and scan it?
Have you tried erasing the pencil, after you've traced over it? x3

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

All the pieces of Art that I atempt to scan into the computer always come out looking awful... I have no idea why... :(

--Vespier R. Leo
Zander

Post by Zander »

Vespier Leo wrote:All the pieces of Art that I atempt to scan into the computer always come out looking awful... I have no idea why... :(
that up there^^

is essentially what comes out of my scanner. no editing. x3

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

Than you sir are much better at this than I! :lol:

--Vespier R. Leo
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Zander wrote:
Vespier Leo wrote:All the pieces of Art that I atempt to scan into the computer always come out looking awful... I have no idea why... :(
that up there^^

is essentially what comes out of my scanner. no editing. x3
yeah i sketch in pencil, then outline in micron pens, then i erase the pencil markings..and it still gives me little dot residue if i use the black and white setting..but if i do greyscale the dots are gone but it's a grey outline and is a pain to try to edit to get it back to black..so I'd still have to edit it..I think it is my printer..mainly cause it was only $50 new lol
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Zander wrote:Same picture, but with anti-alaised lines and converted to vector.

I see a flaw in the vectorization, right below the sun. The lines are broken.(probably because the lines in the original drawing were not thick enough for the program that vectorized, bad settings) I like using inkscape to vectorize things(trace bitmaps), not sure how what you use works, but with inkscape(which is free) I can change the thresholds. O_o

Anyways, about the actual image. The head fluff looks kind of weird, or maybe its just the anatomy of the head is a bit off?
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

could someone explain to me anti-aliasing, vector, etc in a very simple man so I can understand? lol i dont use any of that stuffs..maybe I should..
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Shyanne wrote:could someone explain to me anti-aliasing, vector, etc in a very simple man so I can understand? lol i dont use any of that stuffs..maybe I should..
(technical terms explained)
Anti-aliasing
In digital signal processing, spatial anti-aliasing is the technique of minimizing the distortion artifacts known as aliasing when representing a high-resolution image at a lower resolution. Anti-aliasing is used in digital photography, computer graphics, digital audio, and many other applications.
Basically, it smooths lines.(in low resolution, such as most monitors, such as monitors. at 300 DPI, which is the printing pixel density, pixels are too small for this to be necessary)
It's automatically used in most programs out there when drawing with tools such as the paintbrush(or equivalent)
Vectors
Vector graphics is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and shapes or polygon(s), which are all based on mathematical equations, to represent images in computer graphics.
Explains vectors pretty well too. Basically, instead of bitmaps/raster images, which is basically an array of dots. It's what's explained above.

There are programs out there that can "convert" a bitmap into a very basic vector. By simply tracing the lines, and recreating them in lines and curves. This process is called vectorization. There are various programs that can do it. The one zander mentioned above, or inkscape.(there are others, but i can't recall of them from the top of my head) They work best on images that are clear and have sharp lines. Otherwise you get messed up results.

This image visualizes the difference between vectors and bitmaps.
no longer active, sorry
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

ReCreate wrote:
Shyanne wrote:could someone explain to me anti-aliasing, vector, etc in a very simple man so I can understand? lol i dont use any of that stuffs..maybe I should..
(technical terms explained)
Anti-aliasing
In digital signal processing, spatial anti-aliasing is the technique of minimizing the distortion artifacts known as aliasing when representing a high-resolution image at a lower resolution. Anti-aliasing is used in digital photography, computer graphics, digital audio, and many other applications.
Basically, it smooths lines.(in low resolution, such as most monitors, such as monitors. at 300 DPI, which is the printing pixel density, pixels are too small for this to be necessary)
It's automatically used in most programs out there when drawing with tools such as the paintbrush(or equivalent)
Vectors
Vector graphics is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and shapes or polygon(s), which are all based on mathematical equations, to represent images in computer graphics.
Explains vectors pretty well too. Basically, instead of bitmaps/raster images, which is basically an array of dots. It's what's explained above.

There are programs out there that can "convert" a bitmap into a very basic vector. By simply tracing the lines, and recreating them in lines and curves. This process is called vectorization. There are various programs that can do it. The one zander mentioned above, or inkscape.(there are others, but i can't recall of them from the top of my head) They work best on images that are clear and have sharp lines. Otherwise you get messed up results.

This image visualizes the difference between vectors and bitmaps.

So would my pictures be bitmap then? And is there any freeware programs that convert pics into vectors?
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Yes, unless if you draw in.. flash or inkscape(which are some of the most commonly used programs for that)
And yes, inkscape. It's free.(open source and cross platform)
no longer active, sorry
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

ReCreate wrote:Yes, unless if you draw in.. flash or inkscape(which are some of the most commonly used programs for that)
And yes, inkscape. It's free.(open source and cross platform)
I draw traditionally though..I edit my works in photoshop..
Zander

Post by Zander »

ReCreate wrote:

I see a flaw in the vectorization, right below the sun. The lines are broken.(probably because the lines in the original drawing were not thick enough for the program that vectorized, bad settings) I like using inkscape to vectorize things(trace bitmaps), not sure how what you use works, but with inkscape(which is free) I can change the thresholds. O_o

Anyways, about the actual image. The head fluff looks kind of weird, or maybe its just the anatomy of the head is a bit off?
well, the program i'm using has many more features than inkscape, but as i said before, it wasn't free.

-Robert Louis Stevenson
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Zander wrote:
ReCreate wrote:

well, the program i'm using has many more features than inkscape, but as i said before, it wasn't free.
I see very little(if not none) of the features that this has that inkscape doesn't actually utilized in that image though. :P
no longer active, sorry
Zander

Post by Zander »

ReCreate wrote: I see very little(if not none) of the features that this has that inkscape doesn't actually utilized in that image though. :P
because i was too lazy to choose the "advanced option" >_>

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Well when this was just an outline i tried to run it thru that ink program but I had no idea what to do. I think I did the protrace thingy but again couldn't see any difference and wasn't sure if it did anything so I said the heck with it and finished it in my normal fashion. This is my half of an art trade with Zander. I sure hope he likes it..
Attachments
05.png
05.png (104.91 KiB) Viewed 15446 times
Zander

Post by Zander »

That has GOT to be the cutest drawing iv'e ever seen of him x333333333333

<3

heres my side, its shyanne playing with paper rolls pretending to be some sort of magic person x3
when he realizes he is o_o

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Zander wrote:That has GOT to be the cutest drawing iv'e ever seen of him x333333333333

<3

heres my side, its shyanne playing with paper rolls pretending to be some sort of magic person x3
when he realizes he is o_o
Im glad you like it. :) urs is very cute :3 Thanks!
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

More good artwork!... I wish I could get mine to work on the computer....

--Vespier R. Leo
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

those guys wrote:lots of technical junk im to lazy to read and stupid to understand
GOD I WISH I KNEW WHAT YOU SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
bwah bwah
Zander

Post by Zander »

Psykeout wrote:
those guys wrote:lots of technical junk im to lazy to read and stupid to understand
GOD I WISH I KNEW WHAT YOU SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand it, and its hard for me to realise not everyone can.x3

-Robert Louis Stevenson
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

im sure it would help if i read it. |D
bwah bwah
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

I read it, but I only understand part of it. My knoledge of computers is next to nonexistaint. I do want to post some of my artwork here though. If i can ever get it to look right on the computer.. Curse you Technology!

--Vespier R. Leo
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

When did I become a smeggin' Hologram?! Hehe This is a reference to the amazing tv show Red Dwarf. If you haven't seen/heard of it before, It's sorta like Monty Python meets Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I highly recommend you all go see it for yourself. I was laughing the whole time! :) I've been a tad obsessed with the show lately and am now reading the novels! XD

Edit: and yes I'm back to a red fox :P
Attachments
path2996 copy.png
path2996 copy.png (116.56 KiB) Viewed 15357 times
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

Tis a Cute picture Shyanne.. I have never heard of the Show though...

--Vespier R. Leo
Medli

Post by Medli »

...Anyone interested in drawing for me? o3o
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

What do you want drawn?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Shyanne wrote:Edit: and yes I'm back to a red fox :P
*swats with newspaper*
CONSISTENCY!!!!!!!!
bwah bwah
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Psykeout wrote:
Shyanne wrote:Edit: and yes I'm back to a red fox :P
*swats with newspaper*
CONSISTENCY!!!!!!!!
sorry! XD anyway....I think I still have a pair of safety scissors like that somewhere..A request for someone over on FA. :)
Attachments
05 004.png
05 004.png (150.49 KiB) Viewed 15297 times
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

Random kitty doodle! |D

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

D'AWWWWWWWWWW
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

just a pic of me in my foxtaur form :3
Attachments
05 005 copy.png
05 005 copy.png (80.77 KiB) Viewed 15277 times
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

More good Art. Both very cute! :D

--Vespier R. Leo
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

NickCole wrote:Random kitty doodle! |D

oh my god thats adorable!
bwah bwah