Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

DDeer

Re: Art Thread

Post by DDeer »

Thanks all, very nice dryideabat, recognise that deer :D . Yep, fallow deer is what I was trying for, didn't realise they have unusual antlers till I tried to draw, more used to seeing red deer, but hey, I like the dapples.

Daunted
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Great job on drawing Bambi Nicki! I really think he came out awesome and now I feel sad thinking about the death of his mother.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:15 am Great job on drawing Bambi Nicki! I really think he came out awesome and now I feel sad thinking about the death of his mother.
That is a handsome rendition. As a child, I read Felix Salten's book before I saw "the Disney version", and the death of his mother still jolted me. I was also cranked about the liberties the studio took with the narrative. They eliminated the powerful dialogue Bambi witnesses between his mother and the older deer, a cervid vision of "the nature of MAN". They also changed some of the characters (owl) and introduced new ones as standard Disney "cutie-patooties" (Thumper and Flower). Hey, I was nine - what did I know about marketing?

Okay, rant-stop! That's a nicely done rendition. Deer drawings are always a delight, and your rendition is very sweet. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Of course Disney was gonna make a version of it. They tend to make a version of everything that they can find. That is why they are so successful. :mrgreen:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I think a lot of authors who were alive at the time were not fond of how their works were handled for movies. An exception I'm aware of is the author or 101 Dalmations, apparently she loved that it was picked up and pleased with the final product. In fact, the (unseen) owner of the dalmations in the recent series, 101 Dalmation Street, is named after her.

So, to art, came up with these to explain the world that David, Marble, and Trevor are from. Had some input from Krytus on these.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Very interesting, D-rock. So David was allowed to keep a few mementos of his brief time as a Swiftfoot, but now bears the pride and weaponry of the Foxpaw. True that mustelids are rather diverse in terms of their species and such their clan's weaponry would be diverse too.
NHWestoN wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:37 pm That is a handsome rendition. As a child, I read Felix Salten's book before I saw "the Disney version", and the death of his mother still jolted me. I was also cranked about the liberties the studio took with the narrative. They eliminated the powerful dialogue Bambi witnesses between his mother and the older deer, a cervid vision of "the nature of MAN". They also changed some of the characters (owl) and introduced new ones as standard Disney "cutie-patooties" (Thumper and Flower). Hey, I was nine - what did I know about marketing?

Okay, rant-stop! That's a nicely done rendition. Deer drawings are always a delight, and your rendition is very sweet. ;)
Thanks. I read the book too and can sort of understand why they changed certain things. I remember a few scenes, like what happened to Faline's brother, were pretty graphic. But at least the movie kept a few subtle nods to the book, like the last two leaves that fell during the fall sequence (though they did not talk in the movie). They were even going to have a shot of man (He) near the end of the movie burnt to death by the fire, to show that he was not all-powerful, but they obviously scrapped it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dryideabat wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:33 pm Very interesting, D-rock. So David was allowed to keep a few mementos of his brief time as a Swiftfoot, but now bears the pride and weaponry of the Foxpaw. True that mustelids are rather diverse in terms of their species and such their clan's weaponry would be diverse too.
NHWestoN wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:37 pm That is a handsome rendition. As a child, I read Felix Salten's book before I saw "the Disney version", and the death of his mother still jolted me. I was also cranked about the liberties the studio took with the narrative. They eliminated the powerful dialogue Bambi witnesses between his mother and the older deer, a cervid vision of "the nature of MAN". They also changed some of the characters (owl) and introduced new ones as standard Disney "cutie-patooties" (Thumper and Flower). Hey, I was nine - what did I know about marketing?

Thanks. I read the book too and can sort of understand why they changed certain things. I remember a few scenes, like what happened to Faline's brother, were pretty graphic. But at least the movie kept a few subtle nods to the book, like the last two leaves that fell during the fall sequence (though they did not talk in the movie). They were even going to have a shot of man (He) near the end of the movie burnt to death by the fire, to show that he was not all-powerful, but they obviously scrapped it.
The scene with the last two leaves was very tender and understated. All the more so if you had read their conversation in the book which gave it even deeper poignancy. Like Lewis Carroll's works, I read Salten over again from time to time. It gentles me. Unlike Lewis, I'm afraid Bambi has begun to fade from public memory. :|
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really great job on coming up with the lore and the emblems of that world Rocky! I am truly impressed!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks! Now the hard part; doing something with it.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Like the charcoal civilized and feral drawings.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks! Thought it was fitting.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Day 1 of Inktober: Fish. As a young and inexperienced Celestial, he has some practice to do, so fishing is an opportunity to practice his reaction time. Also helps that he loves the taste of various fish. Decided to experiment with the available brush tools in Procreate. Looks cool, but probably won’t do this for others.
I’m also not going to do all of the prompts. Just the ones that inspire/feel like doing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

OLLIE! YAY! *clings!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Inktober day 5 - Blade
I’ll build off of this for his character and bio sheet. Intended to be the leader of the Foxpaw clan and David and Marble’s dad.
Attachments
D6DE10EC-76E5-494E-BCBC-23769B64C341.png
D6DE10EC-76E5-494E-BCBC-23769B64C341.png (69.33 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Looks rather "Knightly".
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really am impressed with how it came out! Despite being an older fox, he is very dashing!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Look good D-Rock, the grass and clouds work well, good combinationn of techniques, you've got the fox tail well, tricky to get right.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks! Here’s his finished model sheet.
Attachments
E6DCDA1F-7095-4F95-8F30-64FF875104D8.png
E6DCDA1F-7095-4F95-8F30-64FF875104D8.png (216.8 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah he definitely is a very dapper and mature elder fox. Love how this came out Rocky!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thanks! I’ll get to his bio sheet eventually. In the meantime, have another Inktober piece.

Inktober Day 6 - Rodent
Not always easy being a mouse, is it?
Attachments
A86AACDE-7C55-4C3C-A5CC-065797372110.png
A86AACDE-7C55-4C3C-A5CC-065797372110.png (109.22 KiB) Viewed 3726 times
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Is this a "cameo appearance"? :lol: sorry.......
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Not really. Just meant to be some random mouse.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Still, he's a cute little guy.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I assume he isn't from the Housepets! universe then since he doesn't look like Spo or Squeak?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That would be correct. Also, quickly managed to whip up another piece.

“Care to share this with me?”
Inktober Day 7 - Fancy
Been a REALLY long time since I’ve drawn Ermina. Also, didn’t intend to make this colored. Just thought, “hey, I should color her bangs,” and it snowballed from there. Also, none of these colors were picked from existing images, they’re all eyeballed.
Attachments
E7F2F453-1245-4D28-864B-F72CDB0A014D.png
E7F2F453-1245-4D28-864B-F72CDB0A014D.png (66.29 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:44 am Thanks! Here’s his finished model sheet.
Looks good!, not heard of Inktober before, intriguing, to follow the vulpine theme, heres a doodle I did.
sketch-1593424924795.jpg
sketch-1593424924795.jpg (115.89 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Aww, that’s cute!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really do love the work that you did with the fox! Wonderful job!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Inktober day 8 - Teeth
Oh...that’s what the little mouse was upset about...
Attachments
D5AF24AA-D158-4467-B188-AB8052C9D057.png
D5AF24AA-D158-4467-B188-AB8052C9D057.png (173.5 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That looks really awesome if not really horrifying! Is the mouse already in the mouth or is the mouth heading towards the mouse?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Mouth is heading towards him.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would stay that instead of staring inside the maw that he should run but I'm assuming that he is in shock.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

He is, indeed.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ermina is quite charming, D. Wouldn't mind sharing a glass with her. Your fox, DDeer, is equally beguiling and remarkably lifelike for the medium. He/she reminds me of a children's book artist but I don't remember the name ("Rings a bell but it's a distant one" as we say at my age and my stage). That's to take nothing away from your skill, originality, and exceptional coloration style.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Very good work, D-Rock! :) Poor mouse. :| Cute deer and cute fox, Nicholas and Daunted Deer! :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hopefully the mouse will just be swallowed whole like herons do to ducklings and there won't be no chewing so it will be quick and painless.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Dayzee, swallowed whole is a terrible way to go. Alive while you're running out of air while getting splashed in an acid literally meant to break down your body, in a very cramped space. A good kill is a quick kill, preferably outside of the stomach.

By the way, here's a new bio sheet. Meet Armon, the father of Marble and David.
Attachments
ArmonBioSheet.png
ArmonBioSheet.png (234.93 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Cesco wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:59 pm Very good work, D-Rock! :) Poor mouse. :| Cute deer and cute fox, Nicholas and Daunted Deer! :D
Thanks Cesco! Poor mouse indeed, good bio sheet, I don't know how you are able to create all the back stories.

Thanks NHWeston, very kind, I'd love to know who the illustrator you mention is, I take that as a compliment :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Gladly, if memory would serve - I still have a stack of my kid's books so I might rummage a bit today. And the comment was very much intended as a compliment. ;)