Non-HPU: Jade Star Academy

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

GrimD@rk8290

Re: Non-HPU: Jade Star Academy

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Dropping in on the conversation Dusk looks over at Snow, before talking into Snow's ear. "You know I bet David doesn't have a partner yet? I haven't seen him with an ethereal this whole time I've been here. And...." Dusk said to Snow before he looked over at David who was getting a talking to by Thomas, trotting around Thomas to stand by David. "He's right here."
Sunny Briggs -Golden Labrador Retriever- S3 P5 E7 C6 I3 A8 L10
Luna Briggs - Blue Russian Cat- S8 P6 E6 C6 I7 A5 L4
Gael

Post by Gael »

GrimD@rk8290 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:27 am Dropping in on the conversation Dusk looks over at Snow, before talking into Snow's ear. "You know I bet David doesn't have a partner yet? I haven't seen him with an ethereal this whole time I've been here. And...." Dusk said to Snow before he looked over at David who was getting a talking to by Thomas, trotting around Thomas to stand by David. "He's right here."
”but does he need a partner, he seems fairly competent for someone who doesn’t have one if he’s been here as long as you have without a partner, like I said I don’t wanna slow anyone down” he says looking at both of them
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Daydreaming are we?" The teacher guiding the group asks, having slipped up close to Fen'rus while the other students fanned out around the field. looking at the youth curiously given the lack of awareness that they were now back down a ground level. "Lost in thought, or something on your mind."

- - - - - -
CyberDragon wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:16 pmKassalya shrugged. "Mostly the soft fruits we had, like the ones I just gave him, and sometimes eggs or milk for protein," she said. "He's also spent some time before we left for the academy testing out different kinds of nuts and roots, even some tall grasses and bark and stems. Basically, anything he saw prey and wild game eating, he tested it out himself. He found a few things he could eat, and one or two things that made him sick..." The snake shifted uncomfortably in much the similar way Bekkail did. "...Very sick, in one or two cases... That's why he only tried tiny amounts of things at first... But he did find some things he could eat. I think he wrote down a list."
"That's... troubling..." she comments, worried. "fruit and eggs we can probably get relatively easily, but i'm uncertain what guild to even request the other materials from... most of the ones i know of that trade in herbs use them for making medicines, elixirs, or spices, they'd cost a fortune to get in the right quantities..."

devolving into muttering to herself, she slips into the kitchens to consult with the staff there, not sure what else to do.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Buster wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:24 pm "Daydreaming are we?" The teacher guiding the group asks, having slipped up close to Fen'rus while the other students fanned out around the field. looking at the youth curiously given the lack of awareness that they were now back down a ground level. "Lost in thought, or something on your mind."
"Hmm? Ah!" Fen'rus suddenly exclaimed, blinking as he realized where he was. He cleared his throat and stood up straight, "S-sorry professor. Something like that... Guess there's just so much to process and my Etherial is still-"

"Feeeeeeen!" A voice rang out in the field as the large wolf had a brief second to close his eyes before a shower of shimmering metal washed over him, embracing him a facsimile of a hug that really just made him look like he rolled around in a pile of glitter.
"I was looking all over for you after I disappeared! There was this portal that took us like, half-way across town and we were in amaaazing bed and breakfast and then I had to fly all the way back and..."

Fen'rus simply grumbled as he opened his eyes, brushing off a few specks of metal on his face that simply reattached itself somewhere else in his fur.

"... almost thought I got lost again but then I found you here! Aaaanyways, who is this person?"

"Vi... this is Professor Verek. He is one of the teachers at this school. Professor Verek, this is... Viriathus. The bundle of trouble I was looking around for."
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Deske wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:56 pm Thomas raised an eyebrow, "Blood magic? This?" He gestured to the yellow cloth. "Oh, oh. No, so, okay," he managed to get out before lining up his thoughts. "I didn't make this with blood magic. This is made with a combination of various flower, fruit, and organic extracts. The other roll," he gestured to his pocket, "Is made using a different set of ingredients and brewing instructions. Y'know, alchemy, witchcraft, that sort of stuff. It's not called for often but occasionally lycanthrope blood is used as an ingredient or as a catalyst. Besides, It's not like it dries on the cloth of anything, it's absorbed by the ingredients and the trace magicka in it is what activates the paste," he says, continuing to hold out the yellow fabric. "I can guarantee this has no blood or animal ingredients in it. It wouldn't have worked if it did."
"Oh." David said, feeling a little less disturbed. "Well... That's better. But still, I think I'm starting to feel better already. I don't think I should be sticking strange sensory-altering chemicals under my nose... I don't really know what long-term effects that might have."
GrimD@rk8290 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:27 am Dropping in on the conversation Dusk looks over at Snow, before talking into Snow's ear. "You know I bet David doesn't have a partner yet? I haven't seen him with an ethereal this whole time I've been here. And...." Dusk said to Snow before he looked over at David who was getting a talking to by Thomas, trotting around Thomas to stand by David. "He's right here."
"Huh?" David responded stupidly to the shadow dog's sudden appearance. "I don't know... I think there are others-"
Gael wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:25 am ”but does he need a partner, he seems fairly competent for someone who doesn’t have one if he’s been here as long as you have without a partner, like I said I don’t wanna slow anyone down” he says looking at both of them
David shook his head slightly. "I... think there are others who need a partner more than I do. Besides... I'd rather wait until that... partner selection ceremony thing that's going on later."
Buster wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:24 pm "That's... troubling..." she comments, worried. "fruit and eggs we can probably get relatively easily, but I'm uncertain what guild to even request the other materials from... most of the ones I know of that trade in herbs use them for making medicines, elixirs, or spices, they'd cost a fortune to get in the right quantities..."

devolving into muttering to herself, she slips into the kitchens to consult with the staff there, not sure what else to do.
"Ah! Wait, professor!" Kass called after her. "Um..." She thinks quickly, then slithers over to David. "Hey, david, do you have that list of those plants you found you could eat on you?"

"Uh... yeah, it's on my phone. I actually took pictures of them..." David started.

Kass blinked twice. "Your... fun? That's that alien thing you carry in your pocket, right?"

"Yeah, and it won't show it's secrets for anyone but me." David said, deciding not to try to explain the concept of a touchscreen fingerprint lock to an overly curious and rather distractible bronze-age person. "Why?"

"I want to show the professor. She's trying to figure out how to get you the food you need, and I wanted to show her the list you made," she said. "I'll be right back."

Kassalya hurried along towards the kitchens after Bekkail. It didn't take long to find her. "Professor? I just spoke to David. He says he has pictures of the plants he found, which might help in finding them. If my memory is right, I actually saw one or two of those plants growing wild as weeds in town. Others I know to be a common food source for some of the animals we eat, so we could probably find them in the hunting grounds in abundance..." She said, trying to remember back to the times where David tried different plants and didn't get sick from them. "I think David can tell you more. He'd be able to recognize them better than I could."
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Gael

Post by Gael »

CyberDragon wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:18 am David shook his head slightly. "I... think there are others who need a partner more than I do. Besides... I'd rather wait until that... partner selection ceremony thing that's going on later."
”Yeah, I should probably do the same”
Deske

Post by Deske »

"Ah well, suit yourself then," Thomas said, sticking the cloth in a pocket. He raised an eyebrow as the ethereals spoke around them. "He seems pretty intent on being your partner there, David," he says with a chuckle.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Bekkail meanwhile had been speaking to one of the academy's cooks, about sourcing new ingredients, and how to fit that into the school's budget.
"I'll speak to the traders the next time they're through, you think he can last a few days on what we have?"
"Maybe? i haven't seen the list yet... he seems alright with- Oh!" Bekkail almost jumps as Kassalya calling to her catches the jumpy old snake by surprise. Listening to her explanation, Bekkail nodds. still trying to work out in her head how to make this work. "That's... Well i suppose if you can get some of them weeding a few gardens in town that makes things easier. having copies of those images to give to traders would be useful though. are they transcribed on parchment or in a seeing stone?" she asks prating it's the former given how much harder a scry can be to copy than simple inks...

(yes i know her text color is inconsistent, i'm trying to find one that shows up on a dark color scheme better than her old green-gray color.)

- - - - -

Verek's eyes narrow almost imperceptibly at the mention of a portal, silently signalling to rhyn to keep his distance from the other ethereal. Giving a playful grin, he lightly taps the top of fen's head with the rounded off end of his staff. "Work on net getting distracted so easily." he states with a chuckle before shifting his gase to the etherial partially phased through and wrapped around his future student. "Pleasure to meet you. Try not to cause too much trouble."
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Gael wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:51 am ”Yeah, I should probably do the same”
Deske wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:56 pm "Ah well, suit yourself then," Thomas said, sticking the cloth in a pocket. He raised an eyebrow as the ethereals spoke around them. "He seems pretty intent on being your partner there, David," he says with a chuckle.
"I don't need a partner to cast spells though..." David said, mostly to himself. "Like I said, there are others who need a partner more than I do."

-------------------------
Buster wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:41 pm Bekkail meanwhile had been speaking to one of the academy's cooks, about sourcing new ingredients, and how to fit that into the school's budget.
"I'll speak to the traders the next time they're through, you think he can last a few days on what we have?"
"Maybe? i haven't seen the list yet... he seems alright with- Oh!" Bekkail almost jumps as Kassalya calling to her catches the jumpy old snake by surprise. Listening to her explanation, Bekkail nodds. still trying to work out in her head how to make this work. "That's... Well i suppose if you can get some of them weeding a few gardens in town that makes things easier. having copies of those images to give to traders would be useful though. are they transcribed on parchment or in a seeing stone?" she asks prating it's the former given how much harder a scry can be to copy than simple inks...
"He's got it on his... Sell Fun? I think it's what it's called?" Kass rubbed her chin, feeling that didn't sound quite like how David pronounced it. "It's this weird alien brick-thing with a glass side that shows images on one side, and the lens to a... Com Ra? That still doesn't sound right... It's a thing that draws pictures of what you point it at on the glass side in an instant. Anyway, he used it to get pictures, and the Sell Fun has some kind of magic that lets it store hundreds of these pictures, and recall them in an instant!" Kass was getting clearly excited talking about the strange alien magic that David had on him when he went through the portal, but talking about it confused her. None of it made sense... "Uh... Put simply, David's got a thing that can create, store, and recall pictures. If you ask him, he can use it to show you the plants he found."
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

that description was making Bekkail's head hurt if her body language was any indication. Great, so its not only stored in a scrying stone, but an otherworldly one that has a nonsensical capacity... ones that could store more than one are hard enough to make, but hundreds?

...And there's apparently a branch of the guild without any light mages, if she's that unfamiliar with scrying. Well need to do something about that in the coming years.

"Ah..."
is all she winds up saying in answer, but the flat tone carries it's own meaning.
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

CyberDragon wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:50 pm "I don't need a partner to cast spells though..." David said, mostly to himself. "Like I said, there are others who need a partner more than I do."
Hope, who had not been paying much attention to Thomas and David''s conversation, walked over with a second, albeit smaller plate of food. The chicken was hot, steaming even as she looked over at David and then back at Snow. "Well having a partner isn't always about what the ethereal can give you magically." Hope said as she was looking over towards Dusk who was right beside David at the time.

"Yeah, sometimes you just need a friend...who just so happens to be made of magic?" Dusk looked over at Hope, hoping this was the line of thinking his partner was going for.
Gael

Post by Gael »

GrimD@rk8290 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:45 am Hope, who had not been paying much attention to Thomas and David''s conversation, walked over with a second, albeit smaller plate of food. The chicken was hot, steaming even as she looked over at David and then back at Snow. "Well having a partner isn't always about what the ethereal can give you magically." Hope said as she was looking over towards Dusk who was right beside David at the time.

"Yeah, sometimes you just need a friend...who just so happens to be made of magic?" Dusk looked over at Hope, hoping this was the line of thinking his partner was going for.
Snow chuckles a bit, “I mean I guess but I might wait for the selection ceremony, Just to see if anyone else wants me as a partner before making a choice”
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:07 am that description was making Bekkail's head hurt if her body language was any indication. Great, so its not only stored in a scrying stone, but an otherworldly one that has a nonsensical capacity... ones that could store more than one are hard enough to make, but hundreds?

...And there's apparently a branch of the guild without any light mages, if she's that unfamiliar with scrying. Well need to do something about that in the coming years.

"Ah..."
is all she winds up saying in answer, but the flat tone carries it's own meaning.
"Uh... Right... Sorry..." Kass said, realizing she might have over-explained the strange alien device, especially considering she hardly knew a thing about it. "As a more direct answer, he has it on something that's neither parchment, nor scrying stone. It's something entirely different that I've never seen before. You can see for yourself when you get the time to talk to David." The serpent said. "I should get back to him though. He doesn't like being around too many other people unless there's someone familiar with him."

With that, Kassalya bowed herself out of the kitchen and made her way back to David. She stayed a short ways away to avoid interrupting, but she was paying attention to the conversation.
GrimD@rk8290 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:45 am Hope, who had not been paying much attention to Thomas and David''s conversation, walked over with a second, albeit smaller plate of food. The chicken was hot, steaming even as she looked over at David and then back at Snow. "Well having a partner isn't always about what the ethereal can give you magically." Hope said as she was looking over towards Dusk who was right beside David at the time.

"Kass would say I need all the friends I could get." David sighed. "But... I don't know. For one thing, I don't think I need to possibly form a permanent bond with someone in order to be friends with them. Not to mention, other people need friends too. Again, more than I do. I've always been perfectly fine going solo..."
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Bekkail nodds, returning to speaking with the cooks, she'll be out shortly.

the fact that david is actually refusing an ethereal seems to be drawing far more eyes than anything else he's done so far. a few of the other would-be students pausing mid meal to stare. some of the gazes see incredulous, others jealous. by the time Kassalya returns an odd silence has descended, the chatter from earlier having reduced significantly.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Buster wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:41 pm Verek's eyes narrow almost imperceptibly at the mention of a portal, silently signalling to rhyn to keep his distance from the other ethereal. Giving a playful grin, he lightly taps the top of fen's head with the rounded off end of his staff. "Work on net getting distracted so easily." he states with a chuckle before shifting his gase to the etherial partially phased through and wrapped around his future student. "Pleasure to meet you. Try not to cause too much trouble."
"Yes sir! I try my best to keep him on track!"
"I don't think that's what he meant..." Fen'rus grunted as Vi peeled herself off him, returning to her loose feline form.
"Sooo, where'd everyone else go?"
"Not sure... we got split up, and I've just been touring around the campus with this group. I figure we'd all meet back up eventually. Now we're just walking around, taking a look at the training grounds."
"Oooooh!" Vi spiraled up into the air to gain a better vantage point. "So this is where we're gonna practice our magic? Y'think we get to learn some today?!"

Ref Ref!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:30 pm Bekkail nodds, returning to speaking with the cooks, she'll be out shortly.

the fact that david is actually refusing an ethereal seems to be drawing far more eyes than anything else he's done so far. a few of the other would-be students pausing mid meal to stare. some of the gazes see incredulous, others jealous. by the time Kassalya returns an odd silence has descended, the chatter from earlier having reduced significantly.
Kassalya looked around at the crowd of people staring at David and managed to catch the tail-end of his conversation with the ethereal. She rubbed her scaly forehead and slid through the group up to David.

"David?! What are you doing?!" Kass hissed in his ear.

"I just didn't really want to jump into things is all..." David replied, defensively.

"I know what you want, but you can't shut yourself away forever!" The snake scolded him. "You know there is no guarantee you will get a partner at the choosing ceremony? A lot of these students would give their tail for a chance to get an ethereal partner! You've got one literally offering to be your partner and you're turning him down?!"

David sighed. "Maybe you're right, but... what if I accept the offer now, and I just made a long term important choice just because I was pressured into it? What if I accept and our personalities just aren't compatible? Is this a permanent choice? Will I be pulling the ethereal back to my world with me if I ever return?"

Kassalya rubbed the bridge of her snout. "Oh, you're a piece of work, David..." She hissed. "You're my friend and I like you a lot, but sometimes you give me migraines..."
-Champion Motto

GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

CyberDragon wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:50 pm Kassalya looked around at the crowd of people staring at David and managed to catch the tail-end of his conversation with the ethereal. She rubbed her scaly forehead and slid through the group up to David.

"David?! What are you doing?!" Kass hissed in his ear.

"I just didn't really want to jump into things is all..." David replied, defensively.

"I know what you want, but you can't shut yourself away forever!" The snake scolded him. "You know there is no guarantee you will get a partner at the choosing ceremony? A lot of these students would give their tail for a chance to get an ethereal partner! You've got one literally offering to be your partner and you're turning him down?!"

David sighed. "Maybe you're right, but... what if I accept the offer now, and I just made a long term important choice just because I was pressured into it? What if I accept and our personalities just aren't compatible? Is this a permanent choice? Will I be pulling the ethereal back to my world with me if I ever return?"

Kassalya rubbed the bridge of her snout. "Oh, you're a piece of work, David..." She hissed. "You're my friend and I like you a lot, but sometimes you give me migraines..."
Where others found jealousy, or even disbelief in David for choosing not to choose Snow right away Hope saw only wisdom. "He's right. Choosing a partner is a very important choice, one you have to be sure you want to make." She placed a reassuring hand on David's shoulder.

"You will find the right partner, or maybe not at all. If it happens to be Snow, it happens. But it's up to David to decide as well, not just the ethereal. It's a bond. Both sides must agree. Right, Dusk?" Hope looked over towards her own ethereal, who chimed in.

"Of course. A team is only a team together, not divided." Dusk stood by Hope as he looked over at the others.
Gael

Post by Gael »

GrimD@rk8290 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:14 pm Where others found jealousy, or even disbelief in David for choosing not to choose Snow right away Hope saw only wisdom. "He's right. Choosing a partner is a very important choice, one you have to be sure you want to make." She placed a reassuring hand on David's shoulder.

"You will find the right partner, or maybe not at all. If it happens to be Snow, it happens. But it's up to David to decide as well, not just the ethereal. It's a bond. Both sides must agree. Right, Dusk?" Hope looked over towards her own ethereal, who chimed in.

"Of course. A team is only a team together, not divided." Dusk stood by Hope as he looked over at the others.
”Y-yeah I agree I don’t really know anyone here that well. I-It only makes sense to see if we both can find someone we’re compatible with before deciding. Besides like I said I would rather not slow anyone down if I can help it” he says chuckling sheepishly
Deske

Post by Deske »

Tom watched the scene play out before him, though he wasn't entirely sure why everyone was so perplexed at David turning down the ethereal since he was pretty sure that everyone got one eventually. His attention turned to David's conversation with Kass, which he found properly amusing. "I must agree, he's not wrong. Though maybe doing it in a more private area would have been a better idea."
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Roarin wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:29 am "Yes sir! I try my best to keep him on track!"
"I don't think that's what he meant..." Fen'rus grunted as Vi peeled herself off him, returning to her loose feline form.
"Not sure... we got split up, and I've just been touring around the campus with this group. I figure we'd all meet back up eventually. Now we're just walking around, taking a look at the training grounds."
"Oooooh!" Vi spiraled up into the air to gain a better vantage point. "So this is where we're gonna practice our magic? Y'think we get to learn some today?!"
The other students have scattered. some are checking out the training equipment, some running to see just how big the area is, one examiing the scorchmarks and lingering frost in one of the smaller training fields, while one of the only other duos seems to be meditating.

"Eager are we? Well i'm afraid you'll have to wait just a little bit longer. Most of the others cant do much yet, there is a key ingredient and some fundamentals missing." The professor begins, turning his back to the duo. and walking in the general direction of the rest of the somewhat scattered group. watching them over his shoulder as he speaks. "Well, the ones that have potential any way. There are other academies and guilds for those that dont." Despite the wording being the kind thay would normally imply a threat or challenge, the way he speaks its as if he thinks Fen and vi have little to wory about.

Overhead the sky rumbles lightly, and a few faint flecks of darker grays mix in with the lighter. "But perhaps it's best we get back inside for now."

- - - - -

a fair amount of the other students attention is now on snow, though most is still on david. some of the students seem curious, or surprised still by the patience shown.

soon though, Bekkail returned, moving over to the group. "The cooks are going to make arrangements with the local traders. I understand you have a list they can use? It will be a few days though." she soulds more apologetic than anything, as shespeaks to daidm before pausing and asking one of the others, "I hope everyone else has atleast been able to get their fill?"
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

GrimD@rk8290 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:14 pm Where others found jealousy, or even disbelief in David for choosing not to choose Snow right away Hope saw only wisdom. "He's right. Choosing a partner is a very important choice, one you have to be sure you want to make." She placed a reassuring hand on David's shoulder.

Gael wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:50 am ”Y-yeah I agree I don’t really know anyone here that well. I-It only makes sense to see if we both can find someone we’re compatible with before deciding. Besides like I said I would rather not slow anyone down if I can help it” he says chuckling sheepishly
Deske wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:41 am Tom watched the scene play out before him, though he wasn't entirely sure why everyone was so perplexed at David turning down the ethereal since he was pretty sure that everyone got one eventually. His attention turned to David's conversation with Kass, which he found properly amusing. "I must agree, he's not wrong. Though maybe doing it in a more private area would have been a better idea."
"Uh... Thanks guys." David said. "Yeah. I think I'm going to wait. I'm not going to let these guys pressure me into things." He decided.

"Alright, alright. I guess that's smart... Just know that there's going to be a lot of competition for partners in the choosing ceremony, and I can't imagine there's going to be enough ethereals for everyone to get a partner." Kass warned.
Buster wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:18 am a fair amount of the other students attention is now on snow, though most is still on david. some of the students seem curious, or surprised still by the patience shown.

soon though, Bekkail returned, moving over to the group. "The cooks are going to make arrangements with the local traders. I understand you have a list they can use? It will be a few days though." she soulds more apologetic than anything, as shespeaks to daidm before pausing and asking one of the others, "I hope everyone else has atleast been able to get their fill?"
"Yeah, sort of." David said, his attention focusing on Bekkail. He reached into his pant pocket and pulled his cell phone out casually. He unlocked the screen with his fingerprint, opened the camera gallery. "Do you need to see it? And... Thanks. I think I can last on the fruits for a couple of days at least."
-Champion Motto

Gael

Post by Gael »

Buster wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:18 am
Roarin wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:29 am "Yes sir! I try my best to keep him on track!"
The other students have scattered. some are checking out the training equipment, some running to see just how big the area is, one examiing the scorchmarks and lingering frost in one of the smaller training fields, while one of the only other duos seems to be meditating.

"Eager are we? Well i'm afraid you'll have to wait just a little bit longer. Most of the others cant do much yet, there is a key ingredient and some fundamentals missing." The professor begins, turning his back to the duo. and walking in the general direction of the rest of the somewhat scattered group. watching them over his shoulder as he speaks. "Well, the ones that have potential any way. There are other academies and guilds for those that dont." Despite the wording being the kind thay would normally imply a threat or challenge, the way he speaks its as if he thinks Fen and vi have little to wory about.

Overhead the sky rumbles lightly, and a few faint flecks of darker grays mix in with the lighter. "But perhaps it's best we get back inside for now."

- - - - -

a fair amount of the other students attention is now on snow, though most is still on david. some of the students seem curious, or surprised still by the patience shown.

It’s clear Snow isn’t exactly used to being the center of attention, he shrinks into his seat a bit “I-I didn’t say anything wrong...d-did I? Is there a reason to rush to a descision that I don’t know about?”
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Buster wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:18 am "Eager are we? Well I'm afraid you'll have to wait just a little bit longer. Most of the others cant do much yet, there is a key ingredient and some fundamentals missing." The professor begins, turning his back to the duo. and walking in the general direction of the rest of the somewhat scattered group. watching them over his shoulder as he speaks. "Well, the ones that have potential any way. There are other academies and guilds for those that dont." Despite the wording being the kind that would normally imply a threat or challenge, the way he speaks its as if he thinks Fen and vi have little to wory about.

"Yes sir!" Vi gives the professor a salute before slowly drifting down to Fen'rus.

"You hear that Fen! We're gonna get to learn real magic soon! Real... Soon-ish! Ooh! Maybe we'll get to show off what we already know!" The whirlwind of metal clung to the large wolf as he lumbered inside.

"Well you're gonna have to help me out when it comes to... learning all this. I don't even really understand what we know Vi."

Ref Ref!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Roarin wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:56 am"Yes sir!" Vi gives the professor a salute before slowly drifting down to Fen'rus.

"You hear that Fen! We're gonna get to learn real magic soon! Real... Soon-ish! Ooh! Maybe we'll get to show off what we already know!" The whirlwind of metal clung to the large wolf as he lumbered inside.

"Well you're gonna have to help me out when it comes to... learning all this. I don't even really understand what we know Vi."
Leading that batch of students back inside, via an entrance Fen and vi should already recognize, he starts showing them down the hall toards the grand library. ironically fen jumping tour groups to get out of there actually means winding up there twice... and their guide seems to know this if his glance her direction and smirk once they pass through the doors into that building are anything to go by.
"and of course we have the schools best known feature. one of the largest and most complete libraries in the civilized world."
CyberDragon wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:55 pm"Yeah, sort of." David said, his attention focusing on Bekkail. He reached into his pant pocket and pulled his cell phone out casually. He unlocked the screen with his fingerprint, opened the camera gallery. "Do you need to see it? And... Thanks. I think I can last on the fruits for a couple of days at least."
expecting to see the images he's referring to projected into the air above the oddly shaped stone, she's both disappointed and surprised when the surface itself changes instead, moving a bit closer and looking down at the object. "Hmmm.... that's... that might be harder to copy than I thought. how do you see if from the other angles?"

While she's looking that over another teacher peeks his head in the door, another group behind him. "Wait you're still here?" his voice startling her out of her thoughts.

"Oh, right, I still need to show you all the central tower." she mutters, shaking her head and starting to gather everyone up so they can head out.
Gael wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:02 pmIt’s clear Snow isn’t exactly used to being the center of attention, he shrinks into his seat a bit “I-I didn’t say anything wrong...d-did I? Is there a reason to rush to a decision that I don’t know about?”
One of the other students, a young vixen in western continent styled red and gray silks walks over and kneels down in front of him. "I don't think so. maybe you just need to get to know more people here before you're ready? i'm scien." she says, smiling sweetly, holding a hand out to the incorporeal being, though not sure if he can respond to the gesture in kind yet.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:08 pm expecting to see the images he's referring to projected into the air above the oddly shaped stone, she's both disappointed and surprised when the surface itself changes instead, moving a bit closer and looking down at the object. "Hmmm.... that's... that might be harder to copy than I thought. how do you see if from the other angles?"

While she's looking that over another teacher peeks his head in the door, another group behind him. "Wait you're still here?" his voice startling her out of her thoughts.

"Oh, right, I still need to show you all the central tower." she mutters, shaking her head and starting to gather everyone up so they can head out.
"Well, I might be able to write an app that'll combine pictures from different angles into a three-dimensional model that I can put into the holo-projector that will..." David started rambling, partly to himself, before realizing they were late for the rest of the tour. "O-oh... Sorry..." He said, sheepishly. He followed along quietly behind the serpentine teacher and was followed by Kass.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Thomas, having quickly finished his plate of meat in order to join up with the group, had once again returned to scribbling down what David had said. He left room for descriptions of an app or a holo-projector. "So, writing an app is like a form of magic, right?" He asked, not-so-deftly inserting himself next to David without displacing too many people.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"No, there's actually no magic involved at all." David said, his attention focused on making sure he didn't accidentally lose the group. "It's... complicated, and involves technology at least a few hundred years ahead of anything you've likely encountered. I wouldn't even know where to begin explaining it."
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

"Hmm..." Thomas 'hummed' as he tapped his chin with his pen. He flipped through a few pages in his notebook and skimmed his eyes across them as he went, narrowly ducking a sconce as he walked past. He flipped back a page, "What does it run on then, if not magic?"
Gael

Post by Gael »

Buster wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:08 pm One of the other students, a young vixen in western continent styled red and gray silks walks over and kneels down in front of him. "I don't think so. maybe you just need to get to know more people here before you're ready? i'm scien." she says, smiling sweetly, holding a hand out to the incorporeal being, though not sure if he can respond to the gesture in kind yet.
He definitely isn’t able to respond in kind, though that doesn’t stop him from trying, his hand phasing through multiple times before he gives up ”Nice to meet you, I’m Snow”
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Deske wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:53 am "Hmm..." Thomas 'hummed' as he tapped his chin with his pen. He flipped through a few pages in his notebook and skimmed his eyes across them as he went, narrowly ducking a sconce as he walked past. He flipped back a page, "What does it run on then, if not magic?"
"It runs on electricity and a complicated series of magnets and switches... That's a highly simplified description though. I don't think I could effectively describe how it works." David explained. "What century are you from again?" he asked, honestly.
-Champion Motto

GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

CyberDragon wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:01 pm
Deske wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:53 am "Hmm..." Thomas 'hummed' as he tapped his chin with his pen. He flipped through a few pages in his notebook and skimmed his eyes across them as he went, narrowly ducking a sconce as he walked past. He flipped back a page, "What does it run on then, if not magic?"
"It runs on electricity and a complicated series of magnets and switches... That's a highly simplified description though. I don't think I could effectively describe how it works." David explained. "What century are you from again?" he asked, honestly.
Dusk meanwhile had moved to stand closer to Thomas while Hope was looking at what she could only imagine was a scroll of some kind. "Not magical...hmm. Could be a scroll of some kind?" Hope said as she looked over at Thomas who was pondering what this item could possibly be.

Meanwhile Dusk was looking up at Thomas. "Are you from around here?" Dusk asked Thomas, seemingly harmlessly.
Deske

Post by Deske »

CyberDragon wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:01 pm "It runs on electricity and a complicated series of magnets and switches... That's a highly simplified description though. I don't think I could effectively describe how it works." David explained. "What century are you from again?" he asked, honestly.
Thomas lifted an eyebrow as he held out his handpaws and counted on his fingers, "Uhh... 19th century? I think it was October of 1825 when I disappeared, so yeah, 19th century." Thomas's ear twitched towards Dusk at his question and his head soon followed, "Ah, no. I got transported here through a portal that I may or may not have accidentally created. Why do you ask?" He said with a small tilt of his head.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

GrimD@rk8290 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:49 pm Dusk meanwhile had moved to stand closer to Thomas while Hope was looking at what she could only imagine was a scroll of some kind. "Not magical...hmm. Could be a scroll of some kind?" Hope said as she looked over at Thomas who was pondering what this item could possibly be.
"No, it's... Hmm..." David scratched his head, trying to think of how to explain things better...
Deske wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:59 am Thomas lifted an eyebrow as he held out his handpaws and counted on his fingers, "Uhh... 19th century? I think it was October of 1825 when I disappeared, so yeah, 19th century." Thomas's ear twitched towards Dusk at his question and his head soon followed, "Ah, no. I got transported here through a portal that I may or may not have accidentally created. Why do you ask?" He said with a small tilt of his head.
"That's about what I thought..." David sighed. "I'm from the 31's century. Late 3020's, to be more specific. I'd have to explain a century and a half worth of technological advancements and scientific discoveries to even begin talking about how this thing's primitive ancestors work. Then another millennia worth of technology and science gap to get through to explain the intricate details and more advanced functions. And that's assuming your Earth is at the same place scientifically and technologically that mine was in 1825." He shrugged, shaking his head. "I haven't even explained this thing to Kass. I just wouldn't know where to start."
-Champion Motto

Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Buster wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:08 pm Leading that batch of students back inside, via an entrance Fen and vi should already recognize, he starts showing them down the hall toards the grand library. ironically fen jumping tour groups to get out of there actually means winding up there twice... and their guide seems to know this if his glance her direction and smirk once they pass through the doors into that building are anything to go by.
"and of course we have the schools best known feature. one of the largest and most complete libraries in the civilized world."
Fen flattened his ears for a moment as they made eye contact, and gave the guide a quick and embarrassed nod as they passed through the doors. Vi on the other hand was openly gawking at the wide array of knowledge around them.
"Waaaah?! Fen! I could spend years here and not have gone through everything! Look look here's a whole section on etherial elemental theory, and oohoooh! Look, every volume of Grand History of Laurae on this shelf!"

As the metallic strands of Vi flew through the library, Fen'rus meanwhile followed a bit lazily behind, paying more attention to the architecture and decor of the building. Once in awhile he stopped by a chair or a couch, sitting down and wiggling in it a bit, as if to get a feel for its general comfortability, before glancing over at one of the ticking clocks on the wall.

Ref Ref!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Roarin wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:18 am Fen flattened his ears for a moment as they made eye contact, and gave the guide a quick and embarrassed nod as they passed through the doors. Vi on the other hand was openly gawking at the wide array of knowledge around them.
"Waaaah?! Fen! I could spend years here and not have gone through everything! Look look here's a whole section on etherial elemental theory, and oohoooh! Look, every volume of Grand History of Laurae on this shelf!"

As the metallic strands of Vi flew through the library, Fen'rus meanwhile followed a bit lazily behind, paying more attention to the architecture and decor of the building. Once in awhile he stopped by a chair or a couch, sitting down and wiggling in it a bit, as if to get a feel for its general comfortability, before glancing over at one of the ticking clocks on the wall.
The main atrium chamber houses the seven altars and statues you've already seen.

behind the statues sit the same two curved stairwells same landings for the four different floors of library that surround the shrine, and the same radially divided floors. from this angle you can see that the landings have seating to sit and read, but that's about for things you couldnt have seen from below last time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leading the class back to the curved corridor that rings the lowest level of the tower, it's a short walk back to the main atrium where two staircases like scaled up versions of the ones in the library begin. as the group starts to head up the architecture changes subtly as one ascends. the open gap between the two sides of the floor and the inner and outer rooms seem to be widest around the fifth floor where the columns that support the various walkways change abruptly. assembled of ornately carved, but still clearly cut, cylindrical blocks rather the vinelke organic looking shapes of the coiled flowing stonework below. the stonework also looks older. as if the sections are replaced steadily less often the higher you go.
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Deske wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:59 am Thomas lifted an eyebrow as he held out his handpaws and counted on his fingers, "Uhh... 19th century? I think it was October of 1825 when I disappeared, so yeah, 19th century." Thomas's ear twitched towards Dusk at his question and his head soon followed, "Ah, no. I got transported here through a portal that I may or may not have accidentally created. Why do you ask?" He said with a small tilt of his head.
"Was just wondering for Hope's sake. You looked a lot like the locals whenever we stopped in at the docks. I thought maybe you could tell us about the area." The shadow ethereal spoke to Thomas, for he had hoped Thomas knew the area a bit more than he had. Actually since Dusk had been about the town at least once today, but he still didn't have an intimate knowledge of the area.
Buster wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:06 am
Leading the class back to the curved corridor that rings the lowest level of the tower, it's a short walk back to the main atrium where two staircases like scaled up versions of the ones in the library begin. as the group starts to head up the architecture changes subtly as one ascends. the open gap between the two sides of the floor and the inner and outer rooms seem to be widest around the fifth floor where the columns that support the various walkways change abruptly. assembled of ornately carved, but still clearly cut, cylindrical blocks rather the vinelke organic looking shapes of the coiled flowing stonework below. the stonework also looks older. as if the sections are replaced steadily less often the higher you go.
Hope followed the rest of the class in awe of the ancient architecture that surrounds them. "Never seen such work as this before...these must be really ancient." Hope as she walked along with the others.
Deske

Post by Deske »

"Ah, well..." Thomas said, scratching the back of his neck as he did his best to not look too disappointed. "Nobody knows the upper limits on age for a lycanthrope so maybe I'll get to see something," he said, a half smile crossing his face before quickly disappearing. He turned his attention to the aetherial and tucked his notebook back in his pocket, "Sorry to disappoint, but I'm still learning the place for myself."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:06 am Leading the class back to the curved corridor that rings the lowest level of the tower, it's a short walk back to the main atrium where two staircases like scaled up versions of the ones in the library begin. as the group starts to head up the architecture changes subtly as one ascends. the open gap between the two sides of the floor and the inner and outer rooms seem to be widest around the fifth floor where the columns that support the various walkways change abruptly. assembled of ornately carved, but still clearly cut, cylindrical blocks rather the vinelke organic looking shapes of the coiled flowing stonework below. the stonework also looks older. as if the sections are replaced steadily less often the higher you go.
David looked around and noticed the older architecture as they ascended the tower, but this made sense to him, so he did not ask about it. After all, the stonework on the bottom of the tower is holding up the weight of everything above it, and thus would need more frequent maintenance and reinforcement.

"So... So, what kinds of classes are we going to be starting out with? What are the first things considered most important to learn?" David asked his serpentine teacher.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Bekkail who has been describing the classrooms and floors as they had gone up as the other teacher had previously, minus his dark humor, nodded at the comment regarding the structure's age. "Yes, the tower itself was a fortification from before the first imperil age. though almost none of the original stones remain due to repairs and maintenance over the centuries."

When David spoke up, she would pause at the question a moment before explaining "Typicaly theory and defensive arts are taught first, and those two classes never really finish the others just get added on later. Spells have a tendency to explode if miscast, so knowing how to protect yourself and how to avoid that in the first place are priorities."
Gael

Post by Gael »

Snow follows the rest of the class silently listening as the professor talks about how the school operates, though he’s mostly preoccupied with how the partner selection ceremony works