HPU: Edge City

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Leafolawl

Re: HPU: Edge City

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya's shake is equally brief, though no less as firm than the one she'd given Selina. The blue-grey cat turns her attention up at Bear when their paws part. "Reputations spread. Especially those of dogs with your size and strength. Moved here from the next county over, yeah?" she inquires, looking eager to stand up as the bus slows down for their stop.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:The maine coon shrugs. "His campus doesn't let him keep pets, so he's staying here with a cousin while he attends a nearby college. He doesn't really talk about his instructors by name, either." She brings out the sketchbook from her bag, looking over at her dad. "He's studying literature. Wants to be one of the "great" authors people speak of in future times..."
"Oh, there goes all my questions in that direction. So, what things do you like? The theatre arts? Movies in a movie theater? Mystery, adventure, or time travel? Or even something I couldn't even think of, please, tell me.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Postcard wrote:The smile fading from his face, he focuses intently, feeling an uneasy sense of familiarity. "And... Bear?"
"Um... Hello."
Leafolawl wrote:Skya's shake is equally brief, though no less as firm than the one she'd given Selina. The blue-grey cat turns her attention up at Bear when their paws part. "Reputations spread. Especially those of dogs with your size and strength. Moved here from the next county over, yeah?" she inquires, looking eager to stand up as the bus slows down for their stop.
"Oh..." was all the big guy said, looking actually a little embarrassed, but still moving with the others to get off at the stop regardless.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Delilah giggles. "Actually, I do a lot of sketching. I like trying to capture smiles, but there's a whole spectrum of emotions to catch." She turns her sketchbook around, opening it and flipping through a few of her sketches to give him brief views at her works. "From the faint tug at the corner of the eyes, to the way a brow is furrowed... I guess I'm more interested in faces than the art itself."

The sketches are of both humans and pets, with no particular pattern as to which one she does. Most of them are indeed smiling, but she flips too quickly to really give time to take in the details.

-----

Skya makes her way off the bus, making sure to take a few quick steps away from the road before turning to follow the pavement towards the mall. "So you're all just heading to the mall?" she asks, brushing her blue-grey fur down and folding her arms over her chest to help fend off some of the autumn chill.
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Leafolawl wrote:Skya makes her way off the bus, making sure to take a few quick steps away from the road before turning to follow the pavement towards the mall. "So you're all just heading to the mall?" she asks, brushing her blue-grey fur down and folding her arms over her chest to help fend off some of the autumn chill.
"yeah, for the party for the leash law lifting," Selina replied, following after.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:Delilah giggles. "Actually, I do a lot of sketching. I like trying to capture smiles, but there's a whole spectrum of emotions to catch." She turns her sketchbook around, opening it and flipping through a few of her sketches to give him brief views at her works. "From the faint tug at the corner of the eyes, to the way a brow is furrowed... I guess I'm more interested in faces than the art itself."

The sketches are of both humans and pets, with no particular pattern as to which one she does. Most of them are indeed smiling, but she flips too quickly to really give time to take in the details.
"That looks amazing! Have you ever drawn comics?" he said, taking in the details of the drawing
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Yes for the... wait, party? what par-... wait you mean I didn't need to bring this stupid thing?" bear asks, gesturing at the leather loop in his right hand.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Charleston shuffles off the bus with the rest of the pets. "Haha, guess not," he says amusedly to Bear. "Don't feel bad. I only found out about the party a few minutes ago. I was going to check out camping stuff but I saw this in the newspaper," he explains as he reaches into his collar and pulls out a scrap of paper, "Powell's Pancakes is celebrating the new law by offering pets a free meal today." He motions to hand Bear the advertisement.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Hawkfang42 wrote:
Leafolawl wrote:Delilah giggles. "Actually, I do a lot of sketching. I like trying to capture smiles, but there's a whole spectrum of emotions to catch." She turns her sketchbook around, opening it and flipping through a few of her sketches to give him brief views at her works. "From the faint tug at the corner of the eyes, to the way a brow is furrowed... I guess I'm more interested in faces than the art itself."

"That looks amazing! Have you ever drawn comics?" he said, taking in the details of the drawing
*click click*

The sharp sound of quick shutters opening and closing was sure to catch the attention of the pets skimming through the sketchbook, the source being a squatting clumber spaniel nearby. Floppy white ears spotted with brown swayed back and forth as Kai stood up, eyes now intently looking down as she thumbed over the buttons on the back of the expensive looking camera hanging around her neck.

Ooh, that’s good that’s good!” She smirked, idly walking over to the duo. Besides the strange attitude of the approaching canine, the two would also notice another glaring detail, being that the dog only had one arm. Where the other one should be, there was only her shoulder where her arm should have begun, and a large patch of skin with no fur where the arm should have extended out from.

That faint curl of a smile showing pride in your work. And that glimmer of intrigue in your eyes as you look through her sketches. It really sells the picture. Think I might call it ‘Portrait of an Artist and Her Audience’... or something like that. Or is that too cheesy?” The canine smiled again, looking at Delilah and Luka for the first time without a lens between them. Unabashedly she turns the camera over so the two can have a look at the candid photo Kai took of them together.
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Roarin wrote: *click click*

The sharp sound of quick shutters opening and closing was sure to catch the attention of the pets skimming through the sketchbook, the source being a squatting clumber spaniel nearby. Floppy white ears spotted with brown swayed back and forth as Kai stood up, eyes now intently looking down as she thumbed over the buttons on the back of the expensive looking camera hanging around her neck.

Ooh, that’s good that’s good!” She smirked, idly walking over to the duo. Besides the strange attitude of the approaching canine, the two would also notice another glaring detail, being that the dog only had one arm. Where the other one should be, there was only her shoulder where her arm should have begun, and a large patch of skin with no fur where the arm should have extended out from.

That faint curl of a smile showing pride in your work. And that glimmer of intrigue in your eyes as you look through her sketches. It really sells the picture. Think I might call it ‘Portrait of an Artist and Her Audience’... or something like that. Or is that too cheesy?” The canine smiled again, looking at Delilah and Luka for the first time without a lens between them. Unabashedly she turns the camera over so the two can have a look at the candid photo Kai took of them together.
Luka turned his head with a confused look on his face, "The party doesn't start yet, if that's what you're here for, and you could have asked if you wanted to take a picture." he said, not mentioning that he has one arm as to be nice
Rp characters
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Delilah looks between the two, a little shaken at the sudden picture and following enthusiastic dog. "I... Well, I certainly wouldn't call myself an artist, I just sketch for fun, and it's all just portrait anyway." She holds a paw out to shake in greeting, then quickly changes the paw she's offering to match the newcomer's arm. "Uh, I'm Delilah."

-----

Skya glances between everyone with her, then pulls out her phone to send a text. "Okay, what's going on with this party..." she mumbles to herself. Her typing is slow, due to her paying far more attention to the walkway. "I swear if this is another of Dad's 'get out and meet pets' tricks I'm hiding all the towels when he showers next..."
Love me right now! Done.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Hawkfang42 wrote:Luka turned his head with a confused look on his face, "The party doesn't start yet, if that's what you're here for, and you could have asked if you wanted to take a picture." he said, not mentioning that he has one arm as to be nice
"Sorry sorry!" The white canine lets the camera hang by her neck as she holds up her single paw in apology. "I've kinda been wandering around the mall in full-camera mode. When I saw you two I couldn't resist the opportunity to get in some good candid shots. And I that answers one of the questions I had today. I was hoping to stumble on whatever party was happening here, so I guess my plan worked perfectly! Oh, you guys don't mind if I put that picture on my blog do you?"
Leafolawl wrote:Delilah looks between the two, a little shaken at the sudden picture and following enthusiastic dog. "I... Well, I certainly wouldn't call myself an artist, I just sketch for fun, and it's all just portrait anyway." She holds a paw out to shake in greeting, then quickly changes the paw she's offering to match the newcomer's arm. "Uh, I'm Delilah."
"Pleasure to meetcha Miss Delilah! Kai's the name! Taking pictures is my game! Actually it's technically my job... Well anyways!" She grins as she takes Delilah's' hand in her own and gives it a firm shake.

"Sooo then, would that make you Skya? Or are you another partier that's waiting for things to get started?" Kai turns to Luka, looking inquisitively over him.

Ref Ref!
furrygamer793

Re: HPU: Edgy City

Post by furrygamer793 »

Roarin wrote:
Hawkfang42 wrote:Luka turned his head with a confused look on his face, "The party doesn't start yet, if that's what you're here for, and you could have asked if you wanted to take a picture." he said, not mentioning that he has one arm as to be nice
"Sorry sorry!" The white canine lets the camera hang by her neck as she holds up her single paw in apology. "I've kinda been wandering around the mall in full-camera mode. When I saw you two I couldn't resist the opportunity to get in some good candid shots. And I that answers one of the questions I had today. I was hoping to stumble on whatever party was happening here, so I guess my plan worked perfectly! Oh, you guys don't mind if I put that picture on my blog do you?"
Leafolawl wrote:Delilah looks between the two, a little shaken at the sudden picture and following enthusiastic dog. "I... Well, I certainly wouldn't call myself an artist, I just sketch for fun, and it's all just portrait anyway." She holds a paw out to shake in greeting, then quickly changes the paw she's offering to match the newcomer's arm. "Uh, I'm Delilah."
"Pleasure to meetcha Miss Delilah! Kai's the name! Taking pictures is my game! Actually it's technically my job... Well anyways!" She grins as she takes Delilah's' hand in her own and gives it a firm shake.

"Sooo then, would that make you Skya? Or are you another partier that's waiting for things to get started?" Kai turns to Luka, looking inquisitively over him.
"Umm, actually," he started, "I'm Luka, Luka B. Powell, nice to meet you, Kai.
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

bear grumbles something about 'looking stupid' even more quietly than usual at Charleston's attempt at reassurance, though he does take he offered slip of paper, wondering if they carried anything other than pancakes. thick wavy chest and arm fur did not make a good combination with syrup...

when skya spoke up, he commented "well, that was why mom told me about the book club, so your dad probably did the same." moving a bit ahead of the others as they crossed the lot so that by the time they got to the doors he could step out and hold them open for the group like a proper gentleman... only to grimace when said door's hinges audible strained, and the self-closing mechanism popped off of the door with a clunk, under his efforts.

"oops..."
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Buster wrote:bear grumbles something about 'looking stupid' even more quietly than usual at Charleston's attempt at reassurance, though he does take he offered slip of paper, wondering if they carried anything other than pancakes. thick wavy chest and arm fur did not make a good combination with syrup...

when skya spoke up, he commented "well, that was why mom told me about the book club, so your dad probably did the same." moving a bit ahead of the others as they crossed the lot so that by the time they got to the doors he could step out and hold them open for the group like a proper gentleman... only to grimace when said door's hinges audible strained, and the self-closing mechanism popped off of the door with a clunk, under his efforts.

"oops..."
"huh, that's a bad design for a door, to break that easily," Selina said trying to reassure bear.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Charleston looks between Selina and Bear with some concern. Regaining his manners, he steps casually through the ripped open door. "Thank you," he remarks with a smile before heading indoors. After quickly observing his surroundings, overcome by the smells and sounds of the mall, he turns back to the group. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm starving. Are you all going to get that free meal or what?"
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya quietly regards Bear for a moment, eyes telling of the measuring she's doing behind them... then steps inside without further acknowledgement of the damage to the door, heading for a bench. "I'll catch up, I just need to get something straightened out." She brushes the bench off a little with her tail before sitting down, a paw going up to play her her tag—a pair of hands holding a flame—and causing the plain square ones behind it to click as they hit against one another a bit. The other one busies itself with a more focused typing on her phone.

-----

Delilah smiles, putting her sketch pad back in her bag. "Well congratulations. I don't mind a picture of me being online, so you have my permission." She looks around the food court for a short bit. "Doesn't look like there's a party being set up, though. Maybe you're early?" the maine coon offers, giving an apologetic smile and shrug.
Love me right now! Done.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Hawkfang42 wrote:"Umm, actually," he started, "I'm Luka, Luka B. Powell, nice to meet you, Kai.
"Luka, got it! Sorry for any assumptions, Skya sent me a letter so I have no idea what he or she looks like." After she finishes shaking Delilah's paw she extends it out to Luka.
Leafolawl wrote:Delilah smiles, putting her sketch pad back in her bag. "Well congratulations. I don't mind a picture of me being online, so you have my permission." She looks around the food court for a short bit. "Doesn't look like there's a party being set up, though. Maybe you're early?" the maine coon offers, giving an apologetic smile and shrug.
"Thanks! The Candids 'il eat it up! Candids, cute name one of my followers came up with for my followers. And maybe! It definitely beats being late. I just hope there's y'know, an actual party to party it up at, and this isn't some elaborate prank."

Ref Ref!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

pushing the door so that the hinges bend back into the right shape, or at least close enough to it that it can close, he gently shuts the door. nodding at Charleston he follows after the others, though he's got his head down, tail hanging lifelessly, and seems to be trying to shrink in on himself, still embarrassed.

not an easy feat when he's the biggest in the group...
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Roarin wrote:
Hawkfang42 wrote:"Umm, actually," he started, "I'm Luka, Luka B. Powell, nice to meet you, Kai.
"Luka, got it! Sorry for any assumptions, Skya sent me a letter so I have no idea what he or she looks like." After she finishes shaking Delilah's paw she extends it out to Luka.
"Well, that sure sounds like Skya." He said
Roarin wrote:
Leafolawl wrote:Delilah smiles, putting her sketch pad back in her bag. "Well congratulations. I don't mind a picture of me being online, so you have my permission." She looks around the food court for a short bit. "Doesn't look like there's a party being set up, though. Maybe you're early?" the maine coon offers, giving an apologetic smile and shrug.
"Thanks! The Candids 'il eat it up! Candids, cute name one of my followers came up with for my followers. And maybe! It definitely beats being late. I just hope there's y'know, an actual party to party it up at, and this isn't some elaborate prank."
"Wait, did you say Candids? Yeah you can post that picture! I'm a fan, didn't realize you were that Kai, and don't worry, my dad told me about the party, and he's usually serious about his restraunt sponsoring stuff."
Rp characters
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

It took a lot longer than Nilo would have liked to reach the mall. Though, on one hand, he kinda enjoyed the walk, but sttill, it took forever to get here. So the cat just wandered in , half resting half looking for where he's supposed to be going to get to the free food.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Postcard wrote:Charleston looks between Selina and Bear with some concern. Regaining his manners, he steps casually through the ripped open door. "Thank you," he remarks with a smile before heading indoors. After quickly observing his surroundings, overcome by the smells and sounds of the mall, he turns back to the group. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm starving. Are you all going to get that free meal or what?"
"Yeah, that sounds good," Selina said. turning to Bear she added "nothing like a meal to get your mind off things, right Bear?"
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

still too embarrassed to say anything, Bear nods shakily in answer to the question as he keeps pace with Selena and Charleston.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Leafolawl wrote:"I'll catch up, I just need to get something straightened out." She brushes the bench off a little with her tail before sitting down, a paw going up to play her her tag—a pair of hands holding a flame—and causing the plain square ones behind it to click as they hit against one another a bit. The other one busies itself with a more focused typing on her phone.
"OK, no problem," he says while removing his scarf, revealing a matching olive green collar and a silver tag shaped like a rockaway axe head. Leading the way to the food court, he turns his attention to Selina and Bear. Attempting to lighten the mood with some conversation, he asks, "so, what part of Edge are you two from?"
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Delilah gives an apologetic smile."Well, there's certainly enough around to keep occupied until whoever's party this is shows up. But, it looks like dad's getting ready to leave." She stands from the table, looking around. "On the bright side though, it looks like the lunch rush might be here, so you could be able to catch more candids for your Candids," she teases, smile turning a bit more playful. "Thanks for the talk, Luka, Kai."

-----

Skya looks up and gives Charles a wave, then returns her paw to her tags, watching her phone. Whatever it is she's discussing, she's clearly rather focused on returning the texts.
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Postcard wrote:Attempting to lighten the mood with some conversation, he asks, "so, what part of Edge are you two from?"
"We're out in the suburbs," Selina answered.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"we're on opposite sides of the alder ave stop for bus 22." Bear explains as they head to the food court. "I think Skya's from somewhere in that neighbourhood too since she was already at the stop when we got there."
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:Delilah gives an apologetic smile."Well, there's certainly enough around to keep occupied until whoever's party this is shows up. But, it looks like dad's getting ready to leave." She stands from the table, looking around. "On the bright side though, it looks like the lunch rush might be here, so you could be able to catch more candids for your Candids," she teases, smile turning a bit more playful. "Thanks for the talk, Luka, Kai."
"Okay, goodbye Delilah, but are you sure you can't stay for the party?" Luka responded.
Rp characters
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Hawkfang42 wrote:"Wait, did you say Candids? Yeah you can post that picture! I'm a fan, didn't realize you were that Kai, and don't worry, my dad told me about the party, and he's usually serious about his restraunt sponsoring stuff."
The one and only!” Kai grinned at the recognition. “And alright! I look forward to the party! And the foood.”
Leafolawl wrote:Delilah gives an apologetic smile."Well, there's certainly enough around to keep occupied until whoever's party this is shows up. But, it looks like dad's getting ready to leave." She stands from the table, looking around. "On the bright side though, it looks like the lunch rush might be here, so you could be able to catch more candids for your Candids," she teases, smile turning a bit more playful. "Thanks for the talk, Luka, Kai."
Ooh, good point!” Kai starts to look around attentively. “Food eating. Soda sipping. And if I’m lucky... I could catch the rare and comedic tray spillage!” The canine was about to lift her camera up when she seemed to recall something and instead, pulled a flip phone from out of her collar.

Ah! I almost forgot. If I’ve learned anything it’s always to grab the number of anyone you meet with in a new city! Miss Delilah! And Luka! If you don’t mind, could we exchange contacts?”

Ref Ref!
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:"We're out in the suburbs," Selina answered.
Buster wrote:"we're on opposite sides of the alder ave stop for bus 22." Bear explains as they head to the food court. "I think Skya's from somewhere in that neighbourhood too since she was already at the stop when we got there."
"Oh, the suburbs! Neat," exclaimed Charleston. "I always thought that it looked like a pretty nice place. I'm from the plains, myself." He stops and looks around, his nose telling him that food is near, trying to find Powell's Pancakes in the midst of the olfactory overload. "Do you guys know exactly where that pancake place is? I have to admit, I'm not too familiar with this mall."
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

After a while of wandering and asking for directions, Nilo finally managed to find where the party was
Probably should see if anyone wanted to come with he thought, feeling a little lost with all these pets around without knowing any of them.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Postcard wrote:"Oh, the suburbs! Neat," exclaimed Charleston. "I always thought that it looked like a pretty nice place. I'm from the plains, myself." He stops and looks around, his nose telling him that food is near, trying to find Powell's Pancakes in the midst of the olfactory overload. "Do you guys know exactly where that pancake place is? I have to admit, I'm not too familiar with this mall."
bear shakes his head before looking at Selina expectantly, hoping at least one of them knows where they're going. He still had a while before he had to track down the book club, and maybe some of them would be there.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Delilah takes pause at this, looks around for a moment, then grabs a napken as she pulls a pencil from her bag to write with. "You can call me from this number," she says, sliding the napken towards the two.

"Delilah, you ready to head out?"

"Yeah, I'll be there in a second," she calls back, then smiles at Kai and Luka. "Sorry again to cut it all short. Hope to see you two again." The maine coon turns and hurries over to the young man, joining him as he leaves.

-----

Though true that the mall was a bit more active than usual, few pets really stayed near the food court. Many were more excited about being able to roam without leashes with stores not being able to stop them.

Nilo entering by himself from one end of the food court.
Selina, Bear, and Charles from the other.
Between them, Kai and Luka at Powell's Pancakes.
Finally, Skya on her own on a bench near the doors.

An invasive silence takes the area...
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Buster wrote:bear shakes his head before looking at Selina expectantly, hoping at least one of them knows where they're going. He still had a while before he had to track down the book club, and maybe some of them would be there.
"Well, I think the food court was this way, it's probably at least near there," Selina answered. "If not there should at least be a map."
Leafolawl wrote: Though true that the mall was a bit more active than usual, few pets really stayed near the food court. Many were more excited about being able to roam without leashes with stores not being able to stop them.

Nilo entering by himself from one end of the food court.
Selina, Bear, and Charles from the other.
Between them, Kai and Luka at Powell's Pancakes.
Finally, Skya on her own on a bench near the doors.

An invasive silence takes the area...
As they entered, Selina noted the silence a bit.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Its quiet." bear comments approvingly as they reach the foodcourt.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

"Yeah, that's... a little weird isn't it?" He asked, spotting Powell's Pancakes a little ways up and moving toward it at a slower pace. "I'm pretty sure it was bustling before," Charleston said, half to himself and half to the group. He was certain that he had heard the familiar drone of overlapping background conversations and feet clacking on polished floors.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

"Of course, here's my number." Luka said, and handed Kai a piece of paper.
Rp characters
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

"Thanks! See ya around Delilah!" Kai waved as the maine coon left to look for her owner. "Alright, now to enter these both in." The canine looked over the two pieces of paper. tapping them both into her phone. "Suhweeet, two new local friends. I'd say networking was a success toda- hey." Kai's ears twitched as she looked up and around. "Is it just me? Or... did things just get awful quiet?"

Ref Ref!
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

"You're right, Kai, it's oddly quiet, really weird." Luka replied, feeling uneasy at the sudden silence, like the impending and inexorable was about to begin. "I don't like this. We should leave."
Rp characters
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Nilo looked around, thinking for a moment that he did something weird, since everything went silent, but apparently not. Still, the cat wasn't feeling comfortable about a party getting this quiet, at least until he can find a reason for it.