HPU: Edge City

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Roarin

Re: HPU: Edge City

Post by Roarin »

Leafolawl wrote:The man turn around to look at Kai, and is seemingly taken a bit aback at the lack of an arm. Still, he manages to pull a hand from his blue hoodie for an awkward wave. "Uh, can I help you?" he questions uncertainly, fixing how the black thin-framed glasses he's wearing sit on his face.
"Oh hey! I can hear you! Awesome- Uhh, I mean. Lemme just... lemme just start over." The canine cleared her throat before doing a short bow.

"Good afternoon good sir! I was just wondering, innocent question here. Haaave you noticed anything out of the ordinary in this mall? Maybe like a super weird thing where everything gets all quiet around you, and it sound like everyone is talking behind thick glass, and... I'm not explaining it very well am I?"
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

"That is exactly what I'm trying to fix." she begins softly, sitting next to him. "... Minus the bowling, but if things turn out to be okay I'm sure we can still go." She pulls her phone out, giving another glance around. "An email, correct?"

-----

"Uh, yeah. That, or I just have no idea what you're talking about," he confirms, giving a somewhat noncommittal shrug. "Wouldn't think I'd miss suddenly feeling deaf though, been working here for like a year and a half."
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Um. i thought it was a flyer on a bulletin board... Mum found it." Bear interjects, before looking over to Charlie, "and his was a newspaper ad wasnt it?"
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: HPU: Edgy City

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Serence Frostbite wrote: "maaaaaaybe" Nilo said with a little bit of doubt "But if that's true then they really should work on their marketing department, cause the only things I've bought for the last few months were skins" he chuckled
"you'd be surprised how much people will buy just cause it's there," Selina said. "You're here, you're at least likely to buy food."
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:"That is exactly what I'm trying to fix." she begins softly, sitting next to him. "... Minus the bowling, but if things turn out to be okay I'm sure we can still go." She pulls her phone out, giving another glance around. "An email, correct?"
"Yes, that is correct, do you want me to forward it to you?" he replied, turning his phone on.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya sighs. "If I don't have it, yes, but give me a moment." She leans forward to address everyone, speaking up. "I'm trying to get these one by one so we're not cross pollinating stories. Facts first, impressions second. Can we all agree there?"
Love me right now! Done.
Roarin

Re: HPU: Edgiest City

Post by Roarin »

Leafolawl wrote:"Uh, yeah. That, or I just have no idea what you're talking about," he confirms, giving a somewhat noncommittal shrug. "Wouldn't think I'd miss suddenly feeling deaf though, been working here for like a year and a half."
"Yeah, I suppose, I suppose. Guess it's just me and my friends being paranoid is all..." Kai nodded along, crossing her one arm over her chest. "Hmm, one and a half years, means you've been around the town for a bit hmm? You wouldn't happen to know of any cool haunts around the city would you? Any places a gal might be able to snap a pretty picture?

Ref Ref!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: HPU: Edgy City

Post by Serence Frostbite »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: "you'd be surprised how much people will buy just cause it's there," Selina said. "You're here, you're at least likely to buy food."
"Maybe. I'm here for the free food though, but I guess not everyone is a cheapskate like me" Nilo chuckled
Leafolawl wrote:Skya sighs. "If I don't have it, yes, but give me a moment." She leans forward to address everyone, speaking up. "I'm trying to get these one by one so we're not cross pollinating stories. Facts first, impressions second. Can we all agree there?"
"Agree, except the only fact we seem to know is apparently no one knows anything" the cat continued, crossing his arms and leaned back against the wall "Not even you"
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya smiles. "That's not an unfair assumption. We do know five of us came here on party invitations, one for a book club meeting, and one on happenstance. That means we have more numbers than they expected. If it is a marketing ploy, it's certainly not a legal one, but that still warrants caution on our end.

"That's only one half of why I want each story before conjecture, though. Part of my job is to do preliminary investigation, so when legal authority shows up I can pass it off to them as smoothly as possible. But please, don't take this as a request to not talk. If it'll help you relax, try to have some fun." She looks back down at her phone.

"... Yeah, I'll need the email forwarded," she finally says to Luka, back to her low voice.

-----

"No, just the usual old abandoned buildings you find everywhere in the city, but mainly you'll find them in the downtown area? Most of them are a bit vandalized, though, and you'll need to take care for squatters." He takes his dark blue thick-framed glasses off to clean the lenses. "I'd like to talk and maybe scratch behind your ears, but my lunch is about to end. If you really need to press me, I'll be in Puzzle Palace, just on the right as you head down that wing of the building, alright?" He points back as he puts his glasses back on.
Love me right now! Done.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

"I'll forward it to you from my glorious iPhone 4s… sorry, probably a bad time for a joke." Luka said, then opened the mail app on his phone and forwarded the E-mail to Skya.
Rp characters
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Leafolawl wrote:Skya smiles. "That's not an unfair assumption. We do know five of us came here on party invitations, one for a book club meeting, and one on happenstance. That means we have more numbers than they expected. If it is a marketing ploy, it's certainly not a legal one, but that still warrants caution on our end.

"That's only one half of why I want each story before conjecture, though. Part of my job is to do preliminary investigation, so when legal authority shows up I can pass it off to them as smoothly as possible. But please, don't take this as a request to not talk. If it'll help you relax, try to have some fun." She looks back down at her phone.

"... Yeah, I'll need the email forwarded," she finally says to Luka, back to her low voice.
"eh, I guess worrying wouldn't help. Might as well get some food or something. Anyone wanna come?"
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Nods and moves to follow along with nilo. "yeah, that sounds like a good plan."
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Serence Frostbite wrote:"eh, I guess worrying wouldn't help. Might as well get some food or something. Anyone wanna come?"
"sounds good" Selina answered.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya sighs. "Stay close, please. I still need to check with Selina and Nilo. And please don't let me out of your sight." She turns to watch Kai more carefully, looping a leg around her seat and grabbing onto the edge of the table to anchor herself.
Love me right now! Done.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

"Information for head scratches, that sounds like a fair trade." Kai grinned. "Alright well I'll leave you to your lunch! I'll definitely swing by later, thanks for the info!" The canine waved as she left, trotting back to the group. "Well it looks like that guy didn't sense anything weird, maybe it was some sort of local supernatural disturbance. Either way this is kinda fun, look at us all gathered around, lookin' for clues and carp like that. Makes me feel like one of those detectives in the movies. Oh yeah I there's a place we could swing by later if we wanted. Puzzle Palace I think it was. Dunno what it is, but it sounds like fun."

Ref Ref!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

"Don't worry" Nilo called back "We'll be in shouting distance",then he bounced off to the food tables, glancing and sniffing and all sort of dishes without picking any of them.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

The grey cat visibly relaxes as the one-armed dog returns. "Those movies exaggerate the speed of the process... The others have gone for some food, as it seems someone's paid enough to get a small buffet set out between the food court stores. I'd like to ask you some questions as we join them, if you wouldn't mind," she asks, standing up with a small stretch.

The tables are each set by a single store, with one having some large soft pretzels and cups, another with burgers and potato wedges, and a third serving rice bowls with chicken or beef. The people manning these impromptu setups only seen to pay any mind to the pets when they step over, and it seems to be mostly just taking stock collars and manners with no issues to their presence.
Love me right now! Done.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Leafolawl wrote:The grey cat visibly relaxes as the one-armed dog returns. "Those movies exaggerate the speed of the process... The others have gone for some food, as it seems someone's paid enough to get a small buffet set out between the food court stores. I'd like to ask you some questions as we join them, if you wouldn't mind," she asks, standing up with a small stretch.

The tables are each set by a single store, with one having some large soft pretzels and cups, another with burgers and potato wedges, and a third serving rice bowls with chicken or beef. The people manning these impromptu setups only seen to pay any mind to the pets when they step over, and it seems to be mostly just taking stock collars and manners with no issues to their presence.
"Hah! Well I guess they thought it'd be better if they skipped all the boring parts." Kai smirked, walking with the feline over to the rest of the group. "And sure! Ask away~. Oh, also, I don't think we've formally met yet." The canine stuck out an open hand. "Kai, Kai O'Connell. Full time photographer, part-time question answerer...er. You must be Miss Skya from what I've been hearing from the chit-chat that's been going on."

Ref Ref!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Selina looked at the spread. She opted for the chicken and rice and made sure to glance back at Skya occasionally to keep her in her sight.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

unable to decide, bear has a bit of everything.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

After a long while going back and forth, Nilo ended up with a plate full of potato wedges with a circle of pretzels surrounding them. The cat decided to find an empty table closer to where the food was, and waited for everyone else.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

The cat smiles a bit as she shakes the offered paw firmly, eyes reflexively giving the dog a measuring once over. "Skya Sullivan, yes. I'd be surprised if there was another Skya, considering the name is just 'Skye' misread. You said I invited you. Did you save the Email?" she asks while taking a look around at everyone gathered, trying to take in how each person is handling the situation.
Love me right now! Done.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Leafolawl wrote:The cat smiles a bit as she shakes the offered paw firmly, eyes reflexively giving the dog a measuring once over. "Skya Sullivan, yes. I'd be surprised if there was another Skya, considering the name is just 'Skye' misread. You said I invited you. Did you save the Email?" she asks while taking a look around at everyone gathered, trying to take in how each person is handling the situation.
The most obvious feature on the dog would be the camera, well. Besides the missing arm. Kai was a bit lanky for her breed, but the way he ears flop from side to side whenever she moves her head makes her look a bit goofy, or at least friendly enough to be approachable.

"Actually, I can do you one better." Kai grinned, a twinkle in her eyes. Reaching up for her collar the dog produced a folded up piece of paper from one of the small pockets on the inside. "You, or I guess fake you, thought it was better to reach me by sending a letter, which, technically it is. It was kinda sweet, I don't really get many letters nowadays." She handed the evidence over to the feline to examine before leaning forwards. "Got any reason someone would be posing as you Miss Skya? You famous in some circles? Maybe got a stalker?"

Ref Ref!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

While waiting for everyone else, Nilo took out his invitation and had a look over, hoping, though knowing the chance was very slim, that he might find some clues
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

"Infamous, more like, but the good boys and girls of the badge aren't the type for this. Like me, they'd worry it'd cost them their licencing," she explains, looking the letter over closely. "That said, it's not impossible that this is a genuine letter. If this was meant to impersonate me not only is the name wrong, but this isn't my handwriting, nor is that how I phrase things..." She hums in thought. "... For now we should hurry up back to the others," she says, grabbing a plate without looking and going over to join everyone else.

"I didn't mean to stifle conversation when I asked everyone not to toss the details around," she begins, looking down to make sure her plate of fried shrimp is okay. "What I meant was don't try make it all one story. They might not even–" The Madura does a double take, looking at her plate as some kind of realization hits, then looks over to the impromptu buffet setups. "I could have sworn that was a hamburger stand..."
Love me right now! Done.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

"Oh great, now it's like the world is turning into a creepypasta! Let me guess, someone in our group is gonna disappear now... actually, that would kind of suck." Luka replied, then sat down and looked at his phone, "I guess that I better text my friend that I won't be playing Frägment with him."
Rp characters
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Leafolawl wrote:"Infamous, more like, but the good boys and girls of the badge aren't the type for this. Like me, they'd worry it'd cost them their licencing," she explains, looking the letter over closely. "That said, it's not impossible that this is a genuine letter. If this was meant to impersonate me not only is the name wrong, but this isn't my handwriting, nor is that how I phrase things..." She hums in thought. "... For now we should hurry up back to the others," she says, grabbing a plate without looking and going over to join everyone else.
"Hmm? Getting the cops? Is this something that serious?" Kai asked, raising an eyebrow before taking her own plate of food back to the table. Some sort of rice dish with beef and veggies in it.
Leafolawl wrote:"I didn't mean to stifle conversation when I asked everyone not to toss the details around," she begins, looking down to make sure her plate of fried shrimp is okay. "What I meant was don't try make it all one story. They might not even–" The Madura does a double take, looking at her plate as some kind of realization hits, then looks over to the impromptu buffet setups. "I could have sworn that was a hamburger stand..."
"You can take some of my rice if you want, I usually end up having to take the leftovers home anyways." The canine replied, her voice muffled by some food in her maw, chewing as she idly waved her fork in the air, swirling it like it was a wand.
Serence Frostbite wrote:While waiting for everyone else, Nilo took out his invitation and had a look over, hoping, though knowing the chance was very slim, that he might find some clues
Noticing Nilo looking at a piece of paper, Kai gently tapped on the other side with the handle end of her fork. "Whatca looking at there? You get something from Miss Skya too? Or I guess now we know now that it's copycat Skya..."

Ref Ref!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

furrygamer793 wrote:"Oh great, now it's like the world is turning into a creepypasta! Let me guess, someone in our group is gonna disappear now... actually, that would kind of suck." Luka replied, then sat down and looked at his phone, "I guess that I better text my friend that I won't be playing Frägment with him."
"Oh you have no idea...." Nilo muttered
Roarin wrote: Noticing Nilo looking at a piece of paper, Kai gently tapped on the other side with the handle end of her fork. "Whatca looking at there? You get something from Miss Skya too? Or I guess now we know now that it's copycat Skya..."
"Actually yeah" Nilo replied, holding up the paper with two of his fingers "Got this a few days back, came in the mail. I actually wasn't even planning on coming here, but today my mom went and forgetting food for me, so this seemed like a good idea at the time."
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

furrygamer793 wrote:"Oh great, now it's like the world is turning into a creepypasta! Let me guess, someone in our group is gonna disappear now... actually, that would kind of suck." Luka replied, then sat down and looked at his phone, "I guess that I better text my friend that I won't be playing Frägment with him."
"I wouldn't say we're at creepypasta levels yet," Selena said as she rejoined the group. "at worst we're at illuminati conspiracy levels of weird. but it's definitely something."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya slides Kai's letter back over to her. "Maybe you two can compare. Take note of anything inconsistent, from how and why you got them to whatever you think is worth note."

Charleston taps the edge of the table. "So, Bear wants to head off because being nervous is making it hard to eat, and I'm not really part of this. I figured we could leave if it's together."

Skya hums, seeming hesitant... but answers, "Just be careful. Leaving together should be fine." Charleston rolls his eyes, mumbling about how neither appear to be involved as he steps away to leave, Bear giving a meek wave as he follows.
Love me right now! Done.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Serence Frostbite wrote:"Actually yeah" Nilo replied, holding up the paper with two of his fingers "Got this a few days back, came in the mail. I actually wasn't even planning on coming here, but today my mom went and forgetting food for me, so this seemed like a good idea at the time."
"Aww man, I hate it when that happens. My owner's super busy sometimes so she forgets to restock the food once in awhile too." The canine smirks as she extends her only hand across the table. "Kai O'Connell by the way, don't think I ever caught your name."
Leafolawl wrote:Skya slides Kai's letter back over to her. "Maybe you two can compare. Take note of anything inconsistent, from how and why you got them to whatever you think is worth note."
'Oh yeah! Good idea." Hand still outstreched Kai uses her elbow to nudge the letter over in Nilo's direction. "Maybe we could do a little swappy swap? Fake Skya sent me a letter too so comparing might give us some clues."

If Nilo decided to read the letter, it read:
  • Greetings Ms. O'Connell,
    • I would like to celebrate our new freedoms in the city with a lunch with close friends. So, I would be delighted
    if you were to join us. And worry not, mother will be staying at home, so there will be no cameras. Not from my
    end at least.

• Furthermore, I would like to hear your plans to bring life back to the city, and learn how I might help to
    further them. This meeting will be at the mall, so we might brainstorm whilst enjoying our meals.
    • With hope,
      • Skya Eastaughffe

Ref Ref!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Roarin wrote: "Aww man, I hate it when that happens. My owner's super busy sometimes so she forgets to restock the food once in awhile too." The canine smirks as she extends her only hand across the table. "Kai O'Connell by the way, don't think I ever caught your name."
"Nilo" the cat replied with a smile, accepting the handshake
Roarin wrote: 'Oh yeah! Good idea." Hand still outstreched Kai uses her elbow to nudge the letter over in Nilo's direction. "Maybe we could do a little swappy swap? Fake Skya sent me a letter too so comparing might give us some clues."

If Nilo decided to read the letter, it read:
  • Greetings Ms. O'Connell,
    • I would like to celebrate our new freedoms in the city with a lunch with close friends. So, I would be delighted
    if you were to join us. And worry not, mother will be staying at home, so there will be no cameras. Not from my
    end at least.

• Furthermore, I would like to hear your plans to bring life back to the city, and learn how I might help to
    further them. This meeting will be at the mall, so we might brainstorm whilst enjoying our meals.
    • With hope,
      • Skya Eastaughffe
"Here's mine" he said, pushing his mail to Kai, which read:
    • Greetings, Nilo Alcor

This is a written invitation to a gathering in celebration of the leash law being lifted. I intend to keep it private, but I wish to make it open to the pets of the city. We shall eat lunch at the mall, and then go to the bowling alley there for a game or three, to keep it accessible.

It'll be nice to be free to roam the city myself, and I look forward to hearing your plans to what you'll do with this newfound freedom in person.

• Your friend,
      • Skya Eastaughffe
Leafolawl wrote: Charleston taps the edge of the table. "So, Bear wants to head off because being nervous is making it hard to eat, and I'm not really part of this. I figured we could leave if it's together."
"Actually, before you guys go, anyone got a camera?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Leafolawl wrote:Skya slides Kai's letter back over to her. "Maybe you two can compare. Take note of anything inconsistent, from how and why you got them to whatever you think is worth note."
"Should I compare my letter too? Selina asked. I didn't actually bring it but I can probably get my mom or dad to text me a picture of it." she tried to get a peak at the others' letters. she couldn't actually read them but she could tell hers was different.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

"Yeah actually, let us see yours too" Nilo said, showing Selina the letter he's reading "The more reference point we have the better"
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Charleston looks back, continuing to move forward. "We'll be fine, if you really need a picture take it quick." Bear steps ahead some, trying to hide from the cameras some by putting Charleston between himself and the others.

Skya brings her phone up to do so, looking down at her phone after the flash. "Can I ask you some questions while we wait for the response?" She nods at the picture before a thought seems to hit her, the madura bringing her phone back up to take a picture of each pet gathered at the table.
Love me right now! Done.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Serence Frostbite wrote:"Actually, before you guys go, anyone got a camera?"
"I have one if you-" Kai began to reply, before stopping herself as Skya took out her phone. *Flash*! Went the bright light as Skya took Bear and Charleston's pictures.
Leafolawl wrote:[Skya] nods at the picture before a thought seems to hit her, the madura bringing her phone back up to take a picture of each pet gathered at the table.
With each flash the canine watched in subdued dread, losing track of her conversation with Nilo until finally it came her way. She visibly winced as her picture was shot, her ears flattening. "Mmh... alright, now I know you definitely aren't the same Skya as the one in the letter." Kai grumbled, self-conciously tugging at her collar for a moment, before giving a wave to the departing pets.

Ref Ref!
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

"Well, I am gonna get my dad and myself out of here, I hope I don't disappear looking for him... seriously, that would really suck if I did." Luka said, and walked over into the Powell's Pancakes.
Last edited by furrygamer793 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rp characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Serence Frostbite wrote:"Yeah actually, let us see yours too" Nilo said, showing Selina the letter he's reading "The more reference point we have the better"
the cat sent off a quick text requesting the picture.
Leafolawl wrote:Skya brings her phone up to do so, looking down at her phone after the flash. "Can I ask you some questions while we wait for the response?" She nods at the picture before a thought seems to hit her, the madura bringing her phone back up to take a picture of each pet gathered at the table.
"Sure, go ahead. It should only be a few minutes before i get the response."
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Leafolawl wrote:Charleston looks back, continuing to move forward. "We'll be fine, if you really need a picture take it quick." Bear steps ahead some, trying to hide from the cameras some by putting Charleston between himself and the others.

Skya brings her phone up to do so, looking down at her phone after the flash. "Can I ask you some questions while we wait for the response?" She nods at the picture before a thought seems to hit her, the madura bringing her phone back up to take a picture of each pet gathered at the table.
"Email me those photos later, if you don't mind"
furrygamer793 wrote:"Well, I am gonna get my dad and myself out of here, I hope I don't disappear looking for him... seriously, that would really suck if I did." Luka said, and walked over into the Powell's Pancakes.
"Oi! If you're concern of that" Nilo called after "Why not just stay with us so people can keep an eye on you?"
Roarin wrote: With each flash the canine watched in subdued dread, losing track of her conversation with Nilo until finally it came her way. She visibly winced as her picture was shot, her ears flattening. "Mmh... alright, now I know you definitely aren't the same Skya as the one in the letter." Kai grumbled, self-conciously tugging at her collar for a moment, before giving a wave to the departing pets.
"Maybe yeah, or maybe it's the same person, but doing their best attempt to attract each of us specifically, like a non-digital bot"
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

"It's okay, I found him!" Luka called from inside the pancake shop. His dad got into his car, and Luka jumped in after him. The car started quickly, and it was only a few minutes until the car stopped at their house. Luka ran to his room, and pulled out a journal he had for a long time, given the city's name, he thought things were gonna be a bit abnormal, but this was the first time things actually were off.
A Journal of Anomalous happenings and first world problems involving those happenings.
Entry 001: Today at the mall, me and a medium sized group went to a mall, some with false invites claiming to be from others in the group. I also was told we were gonna go bowling, but it lied about that part, too.
Rp characters