Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

Post by Buster »

as the bindings crumble away, Kol flexes her claw, expecting it to still be stiff and painful... but it moves freely. more than that, a glint off of her claws catches her eye. bringing her hand back closer to her face, she twists it around, shocked. inable to find the scratches and chips that had worn grooves into the compressed bone appendages over the years.

"scars are gone..." she mutters.

They looked smooth as glass, each tapering to a faintly curved point. The second one in in particular, while not sharp enough to draw blood, was still much better now than the gnarled snapped-off tip it used to have. she stares in awe for a few seconds before wrapping the doctor up in a great big four armed hug.

...is she purring?!
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich smiled at the other two, "It is great to meet you two. Here's hoping as well," he agreed with Tatiana. Ulrich chuckled slightly at Steele's comment, "Hah. I know a thing or two about being past my prime. Still kicking though."
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"I'll never claim to be as good as those who've been here before," Jenny stated, "but I'll always do the best I know to get the job done. And good to meet you as well, Ulrich." With that she sat in a nearby chair and opened her book again to see if she could finish the chapter. However she left it on her lap, inviting conversation if the others wanted.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"Ack!" The doctor was knocked a little off balance by the sudden hug. "Ah, glad I could help... Can you let me go now please, I have other patients to see."

"All right, Kol. Best we get moving. I have a few things I need to show you." Hivemind gestured for Kol to follow him out of the door. He didn't believe Kol actually told him her name, but the doctors put it in the system, which basically means they uploaded that information directly to his mind.

---------------------------------------------

"Yeah. 'Bout five years ago is when things really started going downhill. With Gear retiring due to constant pain and severe PTSD, and the Immortal Legionnaire leaving over a dispute, things got a lot more complicated." He had a somewhat distant look in his eyes, as if looking into his own memories. He had left out what happened to the third missing founder and wondered if anyone would notice. He then looked at Jenny and responded to her. "We don't expect anything else. Just do your best and you'll do fine."
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Deske

Post by Deske »

For the first time since he got on the shuttle, Ulrich frowned slightly."I can empathize with Gear. It sounds like age was catching up with him. But leaving because of a dispute? Here? It sounds like innocent bystanders are not the only ones who might need saving." He gave a slight shrug, "I do not know the whole story though, so I won't judge further than that."
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana caught the lack of mention for the third member, and while curiosity burned her mind she sensed the possible sensitivity of the subject and decided to avoid it, "You say past its prime, but you've maintained it quite well." She turned her perpetual smile to the other two, "So, we gonna be full blown teammates? Stopping space pirates and variable big bads? Maybe give out a speeding ticket." Her modulated voice, while capable of conveying emotion, made it hard to hear if it contained any sarcasm. The helmets smile not helping the matter any.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jenny gave the liquiform a smile at the 'tickets' line. "That'd be a relief some days." She put the book back in her pocket. "So where you from exactly?"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Deske wrote:For the first time since he got on the shuttle, Ulrich frowned slightly."I can empathize with Gear. It sounds like age was catching up with him. But leaving because of a dispute? Here? It sounds like innocent bystanders are not the only ones who might need saving." He gave a slight shrug, "I do not know the whole story though, so I won't judge further than that."
"I guess... Dispute... isn't the right word for it." He said, not looking up from his forms. "It was a pretty violent fight. We had just been hit hard by a group of very well funded and equipped pirates. Lots of losses on both sides. The legionnaire wanted to pursue them, but it was vengeance he had in mind not justice or protection. He was always the angriest of us. For good reasons to be sure, but still..." He kept working as he talked. "Hivemind's brother sensed his intentions and tried to stop him. As for Gear, I just wish it was age that was taking it's toll on him."
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

letting go of the doctor, Kol followed along behind the metalskin, her mind back on getting answers.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana gave a shrug, "Literal nowhere. Woke up in a ruined lab on a desolate asteroid, this armor the only non ruined thing. Well aside from that rickety escape pod." She placed her cases on the ground and stretched, more out of habit than any actual benifit, "Wandered ever since. One good thing from it though, never stopped smiling."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The hive droid led Kol out of the medical center. When they exited the lobby and left the building, they stepped out onto the sidewalk. They were in the capitol district, a large metropolitan city. Everything around had a very sleek modern look to it with hints of solarpunk inspiration. Maglev rails ran overhead. Towers and skyscrapers stretched to the sky, which looked extraordinarily real. The artificial weather had cooled down to hopefully make things as tolerable as possible for the new resident while she was there without going out of the comfort zone of the everyday residents. People of all shapes, sizes, and species were walking up and down the sidewalks and into buildings, and self-driving cars lined the streets as hivemind attempted to lead Kol to the transportation hub.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

"Can't fault him for wanting vengeance.
Can't immediately rule it out as a means of protection. Sometimes preemptive destruction is the best course of action. Especially if your enemy doesn't intend on simply giving up. But, enough of this talk. Sadness doesn't sit well on a day like this."
Ulrich pulled up a chair and turned it toward the rest of the group, "Do you know what quadrant your asteroid was in? Might be able to search some information on the area, provided you want to know."
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Sometimes it can be a benefit not to know where you came from," Jenny advised. "It might be genetic memory or imagination but I have a lot of memories of gene labs." She shuffled. She wasn't used to taking this much about the past or herself. It was still easier than telling of her own history, of course. "Anyhow," she continued, "I'm mostly looking forward to visiting the colony worlds and helping to ease our presence there."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

A moment ago she was certain she had been above the ancestors lights... now she was clearly back down on the surface, well, the surface of something anyway, but there was no icewall in sight... who builds on the surface with nowhere to launch icerunners across the flatlands? but stranger yet it was as warm as a growing room near the springs... even in the green season the surface was never this warm. or bright! Kol found herself squinting to see until her eyes adjusted.

the strangest thing by far though was the size. more than a hundred or so of her people sharing the same set of tunnels was usually enough to over-strain the food supply, as such they never grouped up in anywhere near these numbers. this place is impossible. feeding this many this many would take hunting grounds bigger than... than everything!

The shock of what she was seeing once her eyes adjusted, was enough to make her freeze up and just stand there in the middle of the street.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The hive droid grabbed one of her arms and pulled her onto the sidewalk to keep her from being hit by a self driving car he wouldn't have otherwise been able to stop on time. "Sorry, but please stay on these raised portions. It isn't safe to be in the middle of the road. Please follow me and keep close. This is a city. It is a large town. A place where people live and work and provide for themselves. There are many cities like this around here." The droid led her into a nearby kiosk-like structure not much bigger than a telephone booth. It was simply a white structure with a door in the front. Hivemind opened the door which turned out to be a portal door to the transportation hub. beyond the door was the massive arched room with the glass ceiling, seemingly impossibly contained within the small booth-like structure. Knowing Kol would likely be confused by this, he said "Please, I know this is a lot to take in, but it is important that you follow me. We need to get to a better place to talk." He gestured for her to step through the door.

That's when it happened. All at once, Hivemind lost all sensory information coming in from one of the districts. It was the Necropolis, the district The Lycan was going to investigate with the new recruits. In addition, some motion tracker alarms went off in... no... that wasn't possible...

It seems The Lycan's recruits would have one heck of a first job. He updated The job description.

------------------------------------------

The Lycan placed his tablet on the table. "All right!" he clapped his hands together. "I am done with the forms! Welcome officially to the Champions. Are you ready to hear about the first assignment?" He swiped the tablet as it lay on the table and it projected a hologram of the district they were going to go to. It had large buildings with a deceptively colorful design. Unlike the capitol district, this one had subtle hints of gothic designs placed on some of the larger buildings. "This is a district called the Necropolis. This is where we are going today. We've received notice of some disturbances in the area, but nobody's saying much and many details have been marked as classified. This is one of the districts you wouldn't know about, Jenny. We take security concerns here very seriously due to the often fragile nature of the residents' mental health. About a tenth of them have been murdered at least once in their lives, so they can understandably get very paranoid." He brings up the job description on his HUD goggles. "This has been marked as a low priority mission, so if you wanted to... What?" He noticed the details of the job changed. "Umm... the job has been bumped up to high priority. Apparently Hivemind has lost access to his sensors and drones in the district. He is also reporting further disturbances in the catacombs..." There was some clear concern in his voice.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Numbly, Kol nods and follows the drone, not really sure of anything any more...

"city... more than one..." she mumbles... and apparently that's funny...
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Then I'll need my suit," Jenny replied, opening her bag and unsealing a Federal weapons pouch to reveal two energy pistols that she checked over and holstered in her belt. "It was in the stuff sent ahead. Never mind, though."
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Before Tatiana could properly respond their mission was relayed, taking her folded rifle out of it's case, letting said case clank to the floor, "Blackout in the Necropolis, huh? Sounds cheery." She gave a quick flash of her helmets eye like lights as a test, "Ready. Though the lack of info is annoying."
Deske

Post by Deske »

"Necropolis? What a nice name," Ulrich joked as he unzipped one of his bags and pulled out a hard case. He pressed his thumb against a scanner on the front and the case opened to reveal two gauntlets with attached bracers. He pulled them out and slid his hands into them, rotating his wrists to snug them down. The projectors in the palms lit up as soon as they were on, casting a slight blue glow. "Everything's ready. I am ready for action!"
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"Hold on, we aren't sending you guys into this totally blind." The Lycan said, mostly to Tatiana. "A bit of background on the area. The Necropolis as it is called is one of the many districts on the ship. However, it has a very special population. Everyone there used to be dead at one point. Between fifteen years ago and five years ago, we had a device that could take a relatively intact body and bring it back to life. It didn't really matter how old the body was or how they died. If enough of it remained, the device would work. However, due to the fact that this was obviously experimental technology, we couldn't let the raised just go back to their homes. We needed to keep them in a safe place where we could observe and make sure that there weren't any side effects to the resurrection. Hence, the Necropolis was born. It acts as a quarantine, a fully functional city, and ideally a small paradise. The weather is pretty much always pleasant, there are psychiatric and therapeutic facilities everywhere, and we do everything we can to make sure that the residents are happy. Later on, we did start noticing some side effects, though most are similar to what is normally expected with trauma victims."

His face grew somewhat serious. "I won't lie. The residents are often understandably paranoid, angry, skittish, and distrustful. It's why we go so far out of our way to make them happy. We want to eventually send the entire population back to their families, but if things like this keep happening..." He moved on. "Anyway. Mission details: Investigate the Necropolis for the reason behind Hivemind's blindness, and fix the problem if able. Second: Investigate the catacombs to see what triggered the motion trackers. Because of the increased importance of this mission, it also has increased pay. 100,000 credits each, to be paid on completion of the task. (1 BoH credit = 10 USD)"

"Unfortunately, until we get Hivemind's eyes back, we are blind to any other details." He concluded. "Any questions before we depart?"

-----------------------------------------

The Hive droid led Kol through the complex transportation hub over to another portal door. He opened it and there seemed to be a somewhat small meeting room on the other side. "If you would please just enter through here. We will be able to talk in private and I can try to explain a few things."
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the comparatively less crowded hub has Kol slightly more calm, but the disorienting means of travel is doing a number of it's own, as she follows along.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"No chance of my battle suit turning up, I take it," Jenny asked, checking her weapons and adding more pouches to her belt. "I'll go in without it if needed, of course." She readied a night stick stun baton. "From the sounds of it these people have either seen heaven or they've seen hell and been dragged out of it by those with absolutely no right to do so. I'd rather face that sort with a working force shield instead of a Louisa Dellaville suit."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich smiled, "Well if things go bad, I've got a shield you can take cover behind." He twisted his neck, earning a few pops from it, "I'm sure we'll be able to get in and out without causing trouble. Maybe we'll be able to introduce ourselves, cause less friction if we ever have to go back."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Hive droid shut the door to the empty meeting room to give them some peace and quiet. He walked over to the table and sat down, gesturing for Kol to do the same. "I apologize for the confusing transportation around here. It felt like a good idea back then. You get used to it after a while. I'm sure you have a ton of questions about what you just saw, so ask and I will try to answer."

----------------------------------

The Lycan looked at Jenny. "You probably won't need your battle suit. This is an investigation, and the residents aren't normally violent. If you want to get it, we'll wait, but hopefully it will turn out to be just a repair job." He shifted uncomfortably. "And... your right. we didn't have any right to bring them back. Then again, the super villain that caused the earthquake that killed them, or the mugger who shot them, or the demon that tore the life from their body had no right to do so either. We often do things we have no right to do in order to save lives and spare people from tragedy. At least our breach of natural laws was for the sake of giving people hope that they might see their loved ones again. Regardless, it doesn't matter. What's done is done, and the device stopped working five years ago anyway. The raised are alive now, and it's our job to make sure they are well protected."
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Am I dead? Is this some kind of mad Final Dream?" Is the first thing out of Kol's mouth.

huh... off to a 'good' start...
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana couldn't help but let out a chuckle, "I'm sure I'll make the best first impression." She said pointing to her smile, "But even if this is a repair job at best, what's the Catacombs and why is motion important there? Either way, ain't a bad idea preparing for the worst and hoping for the best." As her sentence ended she placed her still folded rifle on her back.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hivemind laughed at Kol's first choice in question. "No, you aren't dead. Though I can understand why you would think that. This place is definitely confusing. These odd doors that lead to impossible places were the result of me deciding poorly that being able to go wherever you wanted justified the lack of logic in the layout of this place. As for the city itself, I take it you don't have large settlements where you are from?"

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Lycan nodded. "A fair point Tatiana. Like I said, if you wanted to go to your room and get your battle suit to be safe, that's fine. We'll wait. In fact..." He walked around to the others and handed them each a card with a number of codes. One of the codes was scribbled on the back in pen. "These are the codes for the portal doors. Every district has portal door kiosks in easily accessible locations. Within the districts, most doors are normal. you will know portal doors because they seem to either lead to literally nowhere, or they look like they lead inside a small white box. Just scan your hand and enter the code for the location you want to go to. The number at the top leads to the Champion quarters where you each have your own rooms. The second number is the number for the transportation hub we were just in. finally, the number I wrote on the back is your individual room number." Once he was done handing the cards out, he answered Tatiana's question. "Unlike the Necropolis, the catacombs are exactly what they sound like. When someone dies on the ship, they are given a place in the catacombs until such a time as when we can return them to their home planet for their proper funeral rites. It's open to the public so people can pay their respects, so I don't know why the motion trackers going off warrants investigation."
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"No. You could fit every every Rhoui alive in that massive hall we just came through, and still have room..." She sputters out, still trying to get her bearings. "That 'city' thing... it shouldn't be possible. there's not enough food anywhere for that."

letting out a frustrated groan, Kol just flops down in the first chair she finds. too busy trying to still get her head around what she just saw to even absorb where she is or what she's doing.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Then that's the first question we need to answer," Jenny advanced. "if nothing's wrong with the situation, it's the system that's flawed. Easily fixed, probably. But, if the system's fine, the situation's wrong." She took her card and put on black wraparound glasses. "If that's the case all hell might break loose." She activated the targeting scanners on the glasses.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich took his card and slipped it into his pocket, "Somehow I can not imagine that it would warrant this response if it was just a problem with the motion sensors. Better to check and not risk missing something important."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hivemind smiled as much as this metal body would allow. "Judging by your medical records and your heavy clothes, I'm betting you come from a frozen world. A place with lots of ice, right? In a place like that, large cities like what you saw wouldn't be possible without some advanced technology. However, this place is not covered in ice. It is as warm or cold as I need it to be. As a result, I am able have areas dedicated to growing and replicating food. Actually, more food than the population of all of my cities can possibly eat. Because of this large supply of food, the population can grow without worrying about anyone starving."

--------------------------------------------------

The Lycan shook his head. "Our first priority once you have all the things you need is to check on the population of the Necropolis and ensure they are safe. If things have gone wrong, we need to make sure the civilians are out of the way. Once we've established the status of the Necropolis, we can go to the catacombs from there. Are we ready to head out, or would you rather take some time to prepare a bit more?"
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

While she listens attentively for most of his explanation, a part of her taking note of how he keeps referring to this place as if it obeys his whims, and deciding to be more careful of her behavior lest she upset a potential deity, one question comes up. "You used 'world' again. What is that?" she asks, hoping she wont regret this one as much as asking what a city was...
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Nope, I'm ready," Jenny replied, her tail curling and straightening like a whip.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:While she listens attentively for most of his explanation, a part of her taking note of how he keeps referring to this place as if it obeys his whims, and deciding to be more careful of her behavior lest she upset a potential deity, one question comes up. "You used 'world' again. What is that?" she asks, hoping she wont regret this one as much as asking what a city was...
Hivemind thought about how to respond. "Do you remember when I opened that window in the medical center? That giant green and blue orb you saw? That is an example of a world. More exactly, it is a planet. They are large celestial bodies. So large that the surface appears to be flat when up close. They are made of stone, or minerals, or ice, or even gasses. You come from one of these planets. One covered in ice, I suspect."
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

"I am ready to go if everyone else is," Ulrich said as he zipped up his bag.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

it's kinda hard to act out going catatonic...
(Kol.exe has suffered a critical failure and stopped working. would you like to reboot?)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Oh," Jenny added, with something of a smile, "if anything should 'happen' in there? There's no home planet to return me to." She stepped to the door. "Ready when you are, sir."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana nodded, patting her rifle, "Take us to the city of the dead sir. Let's see if we can grant them some peace. Or hopefully they are already at peace and it's just a system malfunction causing the bleeps and the bloops."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hivemind looked at the catatonic creature in front of him and realized he may have dumped too much information at once on her. He had no idea what her world was like, nor what they knew or believed. He decided the best thing to do was to give her a bit of time to process what he told her. He waited until she was ready to speak again.

---------------------------------------

"Excellent. Follow me then." He led the group out of the door and back into the transportation hub. Instead of going to one of the many doors to the many locations on the ship, he took the group down some stairs and to a regular door with a biometric security system. He scanned his paw and his iris and opened the door. Beyond that door was a kind of scanner followed by another door. "Because the Necropolis is something of a quarantine zone, you can't access it through normal means. You need to go through one of these scanners. Just added security. It won't let guns through, so Hivemind deactivated it for Champions." He led the group through the deactivated scanner and to the door on the other side of the room.

When they walked through the door, the Lycan halted in his tracks. The entire city was cloaked in a thick, heavy fog. Not a sound could be heard, to the point where the silence was deafening. The pungent smell of rot hung in the air. If that wasn't enough, the entire area had a disturbing, hostile aura to it that the Lycan was all too familiar with. He let out a low growl, his ears flattening back against his head as he scanned the fog for movement.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Well, this isn't promising," Jenny admitted, setting her glasses to scan for movement. She brought her two guns up and set them to setting 9. Heavy stun. It gave her one hundred shots before a new power clip - or a twenty minute recharge - was needed. The guns had other settings but this was her preferred, especially in the cold fog.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie