Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Harry Johnathan

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by Harry Johnathan »

D'Awww! :D
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Congrats to your sister, Hlaoroo!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

More pix?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: Looks like my father got worse and now he can't even swallow.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Hoping for better news about your Dad Amazee, has he been seen by medical staff or tested for Covid? My dad had it recently but o.k. now.

Daunted
Disproportionately Dappled
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I hope your father will be okay, Dayzee I’ll be praying for you all.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

That swallowing problem is a little vexing, Amazz. I share Daunted's concern - your Dad should get checked.
Prayers and blessings.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Hoping the best for your dad, Dayzee.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: My father has an appointment to get COVID tested tomorrow so that is good news.

Sorrow: The only time was 5:15 in the afternoon.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

My biggest sorrow ever is that I have those bad thoughts over a year when I look at bad stuff I shouldn't read on the internet. It really haunts me for a very long time and I don't know what to do. if you guys can help me I'll be appreciated.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

OdedZeituni98 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:27 am My biggest sorrow ever is that I have those bad thoughts over a year when I look at bad stuff I shouldn't read on the internet. It really haunts me for a very long time and I don't know what to do. if you guys can help me I'll be appreciated.
I had those too for many a years, especially the past few years which culminated last year in me just breaking down in front of my mother. My best advice? Take a break from the internet every so often and do other stuff to keep your mind off of those thoughts. Cleaning, reading books, watching movies, anything. The more you focus on the positives and keep your mind away from those thoughts, the easier it will be to combat those and ignore the negatives. Now, they won't fully go away (no negative thought does) but they won't affect you as much.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:18 am
OdedZeituni98 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:27 am My biggest sorrow ever is that I have those bad thoughts over a year when I look at bad stuff I shouldn't read on the internet. It really haunts me for a very long time and I don't know what to do. if you guys can help me I'll be appreciated.
I had those too for many a years, especially the past few years which culminated last year in me just breaking down in front of my mother. My best advice? Take a break from the internet every so often and do other stuff to keep your mind off of those thoughts. Cleaning, reading books, watching movies, anything. The more you focus on the positives and keep your mind away from those thoughts, the easier it will be to combat those and ignore the negatives. Now, they won't fully go away (no negative thought does) but they won't affect you as much.
Good advice, Sean. "Sabbaths" from the internet and the news are good mental cleansing tools. Along with your other suggestions, I'm a great believer in nature. Have an animal or two in your life - a birdfeeder helps. Set up a schedule (okay, that's retired geezer thinking, I know - but having certain "predictabilities" in life helps you stay grounded). Make something. Learn a language or a musical instrument. Nothing wrong with a little counseling, either, but if you go that route, make some inquiries. There are some folks in counseling who shouldn't be.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: My father seems to be a bit better but he is still getting his COVID test today.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:54 pm Joy: My father seems to be a bit better but he is still getting his COVID test today.
GOOD!!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Good to hear, Dayzee, hope everything continues to get better.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: My father didn't get a rapid COVID test so we are gonna have to wait a while before he gets his results.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Sorry to hear you have to wait Dayzee,

Sorrows my Dads breathing is worse today, said he feels like he needs to swallow all the time :(
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Hope and pray that your fathers feel better, Dayzee and Dauntless.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: My father DOESN'T have COVID after all because we just got the results and they say he is negative so that is a wait lifted off of all of our shoulders. I also have something else which is...

Joy: ...If its not COVID it means he just has the flu and I got my flu shot so I don't have to worry about catching it! :mrgreen:
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

That’s a relief, glad you got your shot Dayzee.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

YAY on both counts, Amazz! Get better now.....
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

That's a relief, Dayzee.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Had a long FaceTime call with my mom and other family. She is showing further improvements and strength, and signs that her system is working better. However, the doctors are going to replace a stent that was placed in her bile duct tomorrow at seven in the morning, as the one that’s currently there may have been compromised from the infection. The doctors disclosed to her that there’s a 10% chance that the worst could occur from the procedure, and this terrified her. Terrifies me, in all honesty. The worst part is that we can’t be physically there for her. But we know that this is in God’s and the doctor’s hands, and that should be reason enough to keep the faith. Please, continue to pray for her healing, and so that we’ll all remember that even in times like this, she’s never alone. No surgery is without risk, and she’s powered through the previous ones. God willing, this will be another for her to know that she got through.

🙏🏼
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Hoping for the best outcome for you and your Mum D-Rock.

Joys: spoke to my Dad and he is feeling much better and breathing has improved markedly, hoping he's over the worst of it.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

Joy: I am going to do something that will help me get rid of those terrible thoughts in my mind like reading Housepets!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:38 am Hoping for the best outcome for you and your Mum D-Rock.

Joys: spoke to my Dad and he is feeling much better and breathing has improved markedly, hoping he's over the worst of it.
Prayers and best wishes to your parents, D-Rock and Daunted. These are harrowing times, all the more so because of the pestilence, but there comes the time you can exhale. "Let go and let God", as it's said.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Best of the best prayers, D- Rock :(
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Praying for your mom, Rock.

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Good news on my mom, the stent replacement was a success! They also removed a stone from her bile duct that appeared to be part of its drainage problem, the previous stent was probably the bigger part of it. She’s recovering from that, as inserting the stent can be heck on one’s throat. My dad and brother also helped assemble some things to keep her spirits up, such as a photo of all of us and her cross-stitching material, should she have the strength to work it. Being alone fo so long, she needs something to keep her attention other than TV. She’s continuing to make good progress throughout this whole ordeal!
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's wonderful!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: I am now able to stay up without having to take a nap and sleeping 5 hours at night when I go to bed! Just need to get the 3 extra hours up there.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

That's excellent news D-Rock! Pleased for you and your whole family.

Glad to hear you are sleeping a little better Amazee, I've found this whole pandemic thing plays havoc with my own sleep on occasion, I think your brain subconsciously knows your routine is out of whack.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Glad to hear that, Rock, that's awesome !

Glad to hear your sleep is doing better Dayzee.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Rejoicing at your good news, D-Rock. Sound like your Mom is dramatically on the mend.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Great news, D-Rock!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: It feels like the forum is starting to die. In the past when I came back after posting a few hours later there would still be more posts. Now, there are very few.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:34 pm Sorrow: It feels like the forum is starting to die. In the past when I came back after posting a few hours later there would still be more posts. Now, there are very few.
Yea, I've noticed the forum getting quiet at times,.I don't know if this is a general trend across forums (not on any others really). Would be a shame if it drops away to nothing, not sure what the solution is?

Daunted
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, I wouldn't be too worried, friends. First, doing Birthday greetings, I always check the names listed for the day in their file. Quite a large number of them have ceased posting, some for a very long time. So attrition, I gather, is normal for a forum like this - it's nothing new.

I've also noticed some joiners come on gang-busters, posting a lot (sometimes a bit edgy or belligerent) and then they sort of tire out.

Third, there's a lot of posting that goes on in the fanfics and participation stories. Since I'm not a role-player, I don't drift over there very often and, when I do, I just read through and leave quietly. Most just aren't my cup of Irish Coffee (no reflection on you role-players, okay?). But that, too, is participation.

And, in this age of COVID, folks are kinda drained and looking for breaks. Most'll come back.

So be not dismayed. To paraphrase King George from Hamilton, "They'll be back, wait and see." ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: Despite the fact that we are refilling the bird feeders outside every few days after they run out we don't get any birds during the daytime anymore so I can watch them eat from the feeder on the deck.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe it's temperature change. Lately we've seen mostly sparrows and chickadees, the little scrappy sorts.