Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by Sleet »

D-Rock wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:27 pm My mom is finally home!
Yay!

Joy: I'm almost done with medical school, with only one hurdle left. Monday I find out if I matched with a residency, and if I did, then it's basically just coasting to the end!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: My uncle that has COPD and emphysema which I mentioned above needs a lung transplant and he doesn't want to hear about it. :cry:
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Sleet wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:23 pm Joy: I'm almost done with medical school, with only one hurdle left. Monday I find out if I matched with a residency, and if I did, then it's basically just coasting to the end!
Yay! Good luck with the residency :D
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Dayzee.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

I keep fighting with my parents over how I'm like. They say I'm wasting my time and life. But I keep telling myself it's gonna be alright in the long run. Everything will work out for the greater good. Things may not look like it, but everything has a purpose. I've been through a lot, and still am, and I'm sure I'll get through it fine. I believe in a Heaven. I believe in God, and I believe in hell. Maybe there isn't one. Maybe God doesn't exist. I don't care. I'm just gonna keep on going, believeing in what I feel like, because it's my identity. It's a part of me. I'm not gonna sell my soul for anything. My identity is my soul.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: My mother was FINALLY able to get her new remote car starter after postponing it for a month because we kept on getting snowstorms!

Sorrow: We need someone to fix the toilet in the main bathroom. Yet ANOTHER thing wrong with this ****** house. :x
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

A day of not much done - you have those sometimes. :|
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I know I had happy news last time, and it's still something worth celebrating, but please bear with me as I vent here.

My mom has told both me and one of our relatives that now that she's safe from the infection and focusing on relearning how to walk, fears about the cancer are back. I encouraged her that the last report we got was good, and we were told that it could take weeks to months for relapse to happen, if it happens. I told her that I imagine if it was coming back, we'd notice, but she's gotten stronger, not weaker, after all of this. She's going to call her oncologist tomorrow for continuing the appointments. Before the infection, the doctors said that it looked like all they had to do was locate the specific area the growths were and hit them with radiation, as they weren't spreading.

Here's the thing. Those fears are very real for me, too. She had to miss appointments for about three months, so I'm also feeling the fear of relapse. I know that it should be apparent if that were the case, but I can't shake the feeling. What didn't help was that for some reason, the tests a while ago said that her cancer cell numbers had increased. Granted, the next test didn't show any spread despite this, so that should be good news, though I have no idea how numbers could increase while also being found to stay put. I'm doing my hardest to hold to the result that it's not spreading, but any stray thought is doing a number on how I'm able to keep myself together.

I don't know how I'm managing right now, and back when the infection first hit and I saw all that the doctors had to do to help, that was when I truly broke down. It's been several weeks since then, so I should focus on how much her health has improved and should continue to improve, but fear isn't something so easily beaten.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

No yeah, it's natural to worry. When all you can do is let things play out, it's hard on the mind. Keep us updated. Keep getting it off your chest. We'll be here for you as best we can *hugs* (assuming hugs're okay)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Thank you.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Having these feelings and worries is perfectly understandable, what I would suggest is write down any questions you and your Mum are worried about (such as the varying test result) as bullet points then when she next sees a consultant or doctor she has them to hand, they may not be able to answer them all but it could help (it's easy to forget to ask these things in the stress of the moment). I think you are dealing with things admirably, don't be too hard on yourself for having feelings.

Daunted
Disproportionately Dappled
Harry Johnathan

Romans 8:28 And we know that God works all things together for the believers.

I'm sure everything will be fine, D-Rock.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:13 pm A day of not much done - you have those sometimes. :|
Nothing wrong with that :-)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:12 pm
NHWestoN wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:13 pm A day of not much done - you have those sometimes. :|
Nothing wrong with that :-)
Nope.

Had the six month physical this morning. All my medical crises remain "on hold". ;) Good enough.
Sophie-walkin' time! :)
Last edited by NHWestoN on Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: We got a plumber to come over and look at our leaking toilet!

Sorrow: It's probably gonna cost a lot.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:38 pm Joy: We got a plumber to come over and look at our leaking toilet!

Sorrow: It's probably gonna cost a lot.
Nothing involving pipes is ever inexpensive, Amazz! (Said the guy who just had his half-year physical exam. :lol: :roll: )
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: It actually didn't cost a lot at all!
JamesMill89

Post by JamesMill89 »

Sorrow: Yesterday before going to bed I remembered talking to my grandmother about death and that she wanted to be buried next to her grandfather. Then I did not fully realize that sooner or later this day will come. I didn't believe it to the end, something like that. Soon one year since my grandmother died
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Being of a "grandparently" age, I sympathize deeply with the emotional gyrations you're enduring, D-Rock and JamesMill. My doctor mentioned to me one time that the insidious thing about cancer is that "it's really not a disease, it's a condition - and everyone gets it differently. It's the variations of pace and unpredictability that makes enduring cancer so anguishing." In the last few years, an increasing number of those I knew have moved on. Used to be, they were parents, parents of friends, teachers, professionals, public figures, those who decorated and shared our lives as we matured. Now, those departing are contemporaries, closer friends, relations - those knew more intimately.

All I can offer you is prayers and the gentle counsel to enjoy as much in your life as you can. Us older sorts want to do that because, in our time now, those little pleasure become the most vital to us. We don't want you to fret even though we know you will - because we would, too, as we did in our time. Be not dismayed.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: My mother's friends dog has terminal cancer
Harry Johnathan

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:40 pm Sorrow: My mother's friends dog has terminal cancer
Aw! :cry: I'll pray!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:40 pm Sorrow: My mother's friends dog has terminal cancer
Cancer took our border collie about ten years ago. His was a sad passing. My regrets to your Mom's friend's family. :(
Harry Johnathan

Sorry for your lost, West. The world is a messed up place, with all it's diseases and afflictions. One day, I hope, "sadness and sickness will all go away." - REV.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Thanks, Rydr. Smiley was delightful guy. Back then, we had a number of dogs and cats in the house and, since we didn't have any sheep, he appointed himself the house "major domo". His main job, apparently, was to insure everyone ate out of his or her own bowl only. Yet he never begrudged any of them a bite or two out of his own dish. If he was drinking out of the common water dish, he'd always step back if one of the others came up for a gulp. He and the oldest cat were particular chums - she had a howl she'd use to call him if any of the others tried to bully her or if she just wanted him around. She outlived him by several years and became reclusive after that. They were good companions, all. :)
Harry Johnathan

Aw. :cry:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: There was a speech by president Biden about how COVID screwed up the education of many kids who now might fall behind many milestones and it annoys me. God I hate COVID.
Harry Johnathan

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:08 am Sorrow: There was a speech by president Biden about how COVID screwed up the education of many kids who now might fall behind many milestones and it annoys me. God I hate COVID.
I have to do a piece of homework every day of summer.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Just got off the phone with a colleague. She's throwing in the towel this year after all the Covid convolution this college year. SOOOOOOO glad I retired when I did.
Harry Johnathan

SORROW: I'm having OCD attacks again. :cry:

JOY: After ditching 3, I finally have a new favorite number --- 777.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: Went to be late so I woke up late at 4 PM but couldn't get my fat *** out of bed until 5:30. >_<
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Joy: Getting a huge raise in April 1st! Not a April fools joke! :D

Sorrow: Cat hubbard is getting paid top dollar for treatments, but she's growing lumps still. The vets say they have to check her for cancer :(
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Actually went to bed and woke up at REALISTIC times today! Nailed it!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

GameCobra wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:13 pm Joy: Getting a huge raise in April 1st! Not a April fools joke! :D

Sorrow: Cat hubbard is getting paid top dollar for treatments, but she's growing lumps still. The vets say they have to check her for cancer :(
Sorry about your cat, Cobra ... and we lost a dog to cancer. Holly was very brave and good-humored throughout her whole ordeal, just a big goofy mutt who went gently into that good night.

Congratz on the raise. ;)
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Well done on the rise and the sleep time!

Sorrow, work is manic and I feel burnt out. :(
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Daylight Savings Time ... yeah, right. :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Daylights Saving Time occurring is how I ended up missing an hour of sleep since I was awake for the change over and I knew I would probably have to make up for it at some point.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:23 pm Daylights Saving Time occurring is how I ended up missing an hour of sleep since I was awake for the change over and I knew I would probably have to make up for it at some point.
Ditto ... and Sophie wakes up a bit earlier, primed for "walkies". She's more alert than I am at 7:00 am (at least until my coffee). Must be a Sheltie/corgi/pomeranian/red Fox thing........... :?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Obbl wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:00 pm
Sleet wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:23 pm Joy: I'm almost done with medical school, with only one hurdle left. Monday I find out if I matched with a residency, and if I did, then it's basically just coasting to the end!
Thanks! Update: I matched with a residency! I'll find out which one on Friday!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Got new glasses today that I hope will help with me not getting headaches when I use the computer for long periods of time because of eye strain!

Sorrow: Couldn't sleep last night and only got 4 hours of sleep and then I took a nap and slept for FIVE hours and woke up with guess what? A headache. >_<
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sleet wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:19 pm
Obbl wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:00 pm
Thanks! Update: I matched with a residency! I'll find out which one on Friday!
Serious YaYs!!!!