Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:06 pm It is. One thing my mother is dreading right now is looking for a new car. It will take some time for her to get used to.
We've had our best luck with the Japanese brands - Toyota, Honda, Suburu. The used ones are reasonably priced, they're good in winter, and just about any mechanic can fix them. Take a visit to the Library, though, and check out what Consumer's Union has to say.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Her last car was a Toyota so I'm hoping she doesn't get another one. I have an idea of what car I would LIKE her to get but she probably will end up with a Toyota (except a Camry).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:15 pm Her last car was a Toyota so I'm hoping she doesn't get another one. I have an idea of what car I would LIKE her to get but she probably will end up with a Toyota (except a Camry).
How's the car chase coming?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

She hasn't heard from her insurance company yet and she doesn't have rental insurance so on Monday when she goes to get a rental car she will have to pay $200 a week.

More Sorrow: My car has now bit it. My mother was out and because of the narrow streets she had to pull over to let someone go. She hit the curb going probably 15 miles per hour and the front and back right tire was bent. So that is two cars that are possibly gone. At least it wasn't a major car accident. >_>
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:56 am She hasn't heard from her insurance company yet and she doesn't have rental insurance so on Monday when she goes to get a rental car she will have to pay $200 a week.

More Sorrow: My car has now bit it. My mother was out and because of the narrow streets she had to pull over to let someone go. She hit the curb going probably 15 miles per hour and the front and back right tire was bent. So that is two cars that are possibly gone. At least it wasn't a major car accident. >_>
I'm just so sorry for your difficulties, Amazee.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Thanks. I have decided to stop saying that life can't get any worse because spoiler alert, it can.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

...and, just when you expect it to, it doesn't.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am hoping that the universe will work like that now or at least pick up in 2021.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

My older daughter sent me the first three volumes of the Beastars series. I'm not very fond of manga - too much sweating, multiple irises, frog mouths, bellowing and posturing for my tastes - but she decided to take a chance.

Well, I've been reading just a few pages a day, and I have to admit I've started to get into it. It's an interesting world, and Legosi is kind of a beguiling sort (at this point). And there's Louis, I like deer. So, we'll see. I did finish the first volume and I'll probably read it again before starting the second. :|
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Does this mean that you are now into manga? :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, I'll say I'm enjoying Beastars and let folks identify that as they might.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: I got a new swing today for outside so hopefully tomorrow we can put it together!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

NHWestoN wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:51 pm
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:06 pm It is. One thing my mother is dreading right now is looking for a new car. It will take some time for her to get used to.
We've had our best luck with the Japanese brands - Toyota, Honda, Suburu. The used ones are reasonably priced, they're good in winter, and just about any mechanic can fix them. Take a visit to the Library, though, and check out what Consumer's Union has to say.
My brother has had Subarus but they keep breaking down. Of course he and his wife don't maintain them well, so they might be it.

My family has had good luck with Jeeps.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My paternal aunt favors Subarus and she lives in Vermont so it may be something that my mother will look into but I'm almost positive she will get another Toyota.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:00 pm My paternal aunt favors Subarus and she lives in Vermont so it may be something that my mother will look into but I'm almost positive she will get another Toyota.
Well, truth be told, we only had one Subaru ... a Justy ... and that thing was just one problem after another. Now my Dad, he had a couple Subarus and he loved `em. Used is used is used, I guess.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Her Forester is definitely newer and more modern so I'm sure that is why she hasn't had a lot of problems with the car in general despite the fact that 2 of her 3 children also have to use it.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

My brother’s Subaru is newer and he had trouble reading gas light that tells you when you’re low on gas, although then again he was driving for eleven hours. The one he had before that wasn’t good either, could be he just had bad luck though.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:18 pm Her Forester is definitely newer and more modern so I'm sure that is why she hasn't had a lot of problems with the car in general despite the fact that 2 of her 3 children also have to use it.
I have heard only good things about the Forested.*

(*I have not received any compensation for these comments and they should not be in any way understood as an endorsement or encouragement for any existing commercial product.)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I should hope that you aren't gonna get money for endorsing the car since you got the model name wrong. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:27 pm I should hope that you aren't gonna get money for endorsing the car since you got the model name wrong. XD
Me and my "spell-checker" ... They outta call it "Spell-wrecker"! ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: My mother got a new rental car that she will drive for a week while we try to figure out a new car for her to get. Its a 2020 Chevrolet Malibu which for some reason was registered in Louisiana. LOL
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Sorrow: I'm not sure how much longer I can stay at this job. Most of the people I worked well with have quit because the head of the company expects perfection while limiting our resources and expanding our coverage area. She has also hired her niece and best friend, both of whom are, um, "charming young women" , and exempt from the head's demands. Clients are also leaving us in droves. I honestly just can't take place anymore, but I don't want our clients to suffer.

Further Sorrow: My brother and his wife are separated.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: I'm starting to get really bad headaches again after a few good months.

More Sorrow: My mother had to take the rental car back.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

trekkie wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:01 pm Sorrow: I'm not sure how much longer I can stay at this job. Most of the people I worked well with have quit because the head of the company expects perfection while limiting our resources and expanding our coverage area. She has also hired her niece and best friend, both of whom are, um, "charming young women" , and exempt from the head's demands. Clients are also leaving us in droves. I honestly just can't take place anymore, but I don't want our clients to suffer.
I hope you're able to find a better job soon, trekkie.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Here's to better days, mates. They'll come.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Going to be sending positive thoughts your way to help you find a new job if you decide to do that trekkie!
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Slight sorrow: Internet is down because some yardwork needed to be done.

Sliver lining: Got all the Smash Ultimate DLC this far before the network went down.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: My mother is going to go look at cars tomorrow! Hopefully when we ride on the golf cart I won't be terrified of falling off.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Thanks for the good wishes, you all. I did hand in my two weeks notice today. The head accused me of not caring about my clients. I’m just glad to get out of that toxic place. I hope our clients find a better agency. I managed, via a friend, to find a job with a couple of other ex employees at a large (for our area) law firm specializing in disability law.

That’s some good news, Dayzee I hope your mom finds a car she likes. As for the golf cart, you could try and tell whomever is driving you around that you are nervous, hopefully they’ll be careful. Good luck with your car search.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Excellent! Excellent! Excellent all around! :D
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

As of writing, I have no less than 13 decks that I've either ordered or backed on Kickstarter that have arrived since late August that I get to add to my collection. That's almost a 50% increase! Thing is, they're all at home, and I'm stuck at university for another month, at least. Tell ya what though, Thanksgiving's gonna be one hell of a nearly Christmas :lol:
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Glad to hear things are getting better for you, Dayzee and Trekkie.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: Apparently the undercarriage of my car is completely totaled just from my mother hitting a curb so I can either have my insurance shell out money to pay for most of it and then make up the rest of it or I can trade it in and use the money to get a new car.

Joy: My mother finally has a new car after a month of not having one! It also has collision detection warning so no need to worry about her hitting anything again. Its a 2020 Hyundai Kona.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Sorry to hear about your car Dayzee, but maybe you should just try and trade it in? You mentioned you were having problems with it. Glad to hear about your mom getting a car, I’ve heard good things about the Kona.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure it is a nice car but right now my mother is now grumbling about it not coming with an electric car starter. :roll:
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

I realized that I had yet to request my absentee ballot, and it's a bit too late to comfortably do so now. So I arranged a ride back home next weekend to get it taken care of in-person. Don't want to miss my first presidential election!

On the plus side, I get to open all the decks of (playing) cards that have arrived and just been stacking up the last few months.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CuriousCnidarian wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:09 am I realized that I had yet to request my absentee ballot, and it's a bit too late to comfortably do so now. So I arranged a ride back home next weekend to get it taken care of in-person. Don't want to miss my first presidential election!

Hooray for Plan B ... and, sometimes, Plans C and D and E and F and G and.......... ;)

On the plus side, I get to open all the decks of (playing) cards that have arrived and just been stacking up the last few months.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sometimes the plan that works is the one that isn't the first but the seventh or the eighth. LOL
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:45 am Sometimes the plan that works is the one that isn't the first but the seventh or the eighth. LOL
... and, sometimes, things just "work out" unplanned. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When that happens, that is the best kind of plan because its a pleasant surprise.