Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:21 pm Annoyance: I tried to reschedule a doctor's appointment and I was on hold listening to ****** muzak for 20 minutes before I hung up. :roll:
I've had that experience several times this year. In the last episode, waiting half-an-hour listening to repeated info and bad smooth jazz (not to mention the time wasted pressing buttons through a blizzard of incoherent options), I gave up and drove to the clinic. While the sign on the door said "We're not taking in-person appointments", I put on my "super-snively ultra-grovel face" and slithered in. They were very kind and i have the appointment.

First lesson - which I learned decades ago. People can say anything into a plastic communication device, but when a human is standing in front of them and shows a bit of respect, you'll get what you want. (Twenty-First Century codicel: this practice is unworkable if the office in question is on the other side of the earth.)

Second: As the nice receptionist explained to me, our delemma arises from "The Great Resignation". Basically, as the Covid roars on, fewer and fewer people are willing to work high stress jobs for nose-blow wages, risk of contamination, and a customer base which requires you to interact with a growing number of people whose conduct ranges from the entitled rude to the swaggering psychopathic. Sigh.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Only had to reschedule one appointment recently. For a booster jab. It was booked at a Leisure Centre in the (not quite as big as American cities) city I live in. My local area buses stop at 1800hrs. The appointment was booked for 2140. After 20 minutes I got through and it was change in a moment to a 1000 appointment.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: It is gonna get really, really, really, really, REALLY cold around here due to arctic wind.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:58 pm Sorrow: It is gonna get really, really, really, really, REALLY cold around here due to arctic wind.
Gotta be January, eh?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Except they are saying that it will be colder than it has been in the last few years. Like wind chill is below zero cold. :?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Warmed up a whole big bunch today ... still, a hard and melancholy day. Never realized how long the walk was until I walked it alone.....
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Annoyance: Social Security want to have me do an interview with a psychologist to see if I still qualify for it. That would be all well and good except in the past two years I have been dealing with them threatening me to cut me off to saying that its all taken care of and not to worry about to threatening me once again.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Sorrow: Rest In Peace Meat Loaf :(
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:59 am Sorrow: Rest In Peace Meat Loaf :(
Indeed, farewell too soon. :cry:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

What makes this one all the more painful and unfair is that virologist Angela Rasmussen who is one of the top researchers in her field is saying that we will never truly get rid of COVID. So COVID being apart of or everyday lives seems to be a certainty. I'm just waiting for lockdowns to start again. Meat Loaf was only 74 and probably would have lived much longer if it wasn't for COVID. Or at least he should have.

Joy: Got down going through a psychiatrist exam by a psychiatrist that was assigned to me by Social Security so now I have to wait and see if her report helps me to keep my benefits.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:56 am What makes this one all the more painful and unfair is that virologist Angela Rasmussen who is one of the top researchers in her field is saying that we will never truly get rid of COVID. So COVID being apart of or everyday lives seems to be a certainty. I'm just waiting for lockdowns to start again. Meat Loaf was only 74 and probably would have lived much longer if it wasn't for COVID. Or at least he should have.
The common cold is a coronavirus. They seem to be incredibly deadly at first before turning endemic over the span of many, MANY decades.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Good then. So after a few decades the COVID pandemic will end up petering out then. We just have to deal with 40 more years of this. :roll:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 am Good then. So after a few decades the COVID pandemic will end up petering out then. We just have to deal with 40 more years of this. :roll:
The Bubonic Plague ran about a decade in Europe with flare-ups into the 1400s. It also ran riot in Africa and in Asia where it helped accelerate the disintegration of the Mongol Empire.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

NHWestoN wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:42 pm
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 am Good then. So after a few decades the COVID pandemic will end up petering out then. We just have to deal with 40 more years of this. :roll:
The Bubonic Plague ran about a decade in Europe with flare-ups into the 1400s. It also ran riot in Africa and in Asia where it helped accelerate the disintegration of the Mongol Empire.
Strictly speaking the 'flare up's' happened for Centuries. 1665 in London, for example. And there might have been one in 1666 to do with the unsanitary conditions but the Great Fire did a lot to stop that.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: This talk about how long it will take COVID to become harmless is really depressing me you guys!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:36 pm
NHWestoN wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:42 pm
Strictly speaking the 'flare up's' happened for Centuries. 1665 in London, for example. And there might have been one in 1666 to do with the unsanitary conditions but the Great Fire did a lot to stop that.
Ah, true, Welsh. It still flares up in modern times. However, the catastrophic levels of death from the 1347-1360s have not been repeated ....... yet.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Green Bay Packers got skunked by San Francisco last night so the missus is kinda down. Such is sports, eh?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Fauci seems to think that Omicron will peak really soon and then case numbers will start to go down!
Harry Johnathan

This has been a monumentally crappy day. My dog tried to mate with its' own mother and then it got hurt trying to escape our dad, my dad himself then got a tooth pulled out without anesthesia and is still crying, I've gotten in endless arguments on Twitter with some very spiteful people and all we have to eat is bread, chips and pop.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:49 pm This has been a monumentally crappy day. My dog tried to mate with its' own mother and then it got hurt trying to escape our dad, my dad himself then got a tooth pulled out without anesthesia and is still crying, I've gotten in endless arguments on Twitter with some very spiteful people and all we have to eat is bread, chips and pop.
Man, a down-spiral roller-coaster, Harry. I'm sorry for your difficulties - just a "Hurry Sundown" sort of day. ......and you've illustrated why I don't "twit". Life's too short (at least mine is) and I just don't have the energy or desire to "box with malignant shadows" anymore. Wishing you better days, Harry.
Harry Johnathan

Thank you, Weston.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: My grandmother keeps on having strokes.
Harry Johnathan

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:22 pm Sorrow: My grandmother keeps on having strokes.
Prayed for your grandma.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So sorry to hear.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It is a lot more stressful also since all of the MRIs and the tests that she ended up having seem to point to her being normal and having nothing stand out.

Oh, and Betty White's official cause of death was a stroke she had 6 days before. So that also makes me feel a bit anxious.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:52 pm It is a lot more stressful also since all of the MRIs and the tests that she ended up having seem to point to her being normal and having nothing stand out.

Oh, and Betty White's official cause of death was a stroke she had 6 days before. So that also makes me feel a bit anxious.
How're you doing, Amazz, and how's your grandma?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Haven't really heard anything about her recently but no news is good news I guess. Right now I'm in shock that we didn't lose power during the snowstorm.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Not losing power is always a plus during a storm.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Trust me. I was very shocked that we were fine because the first winter at the house we lost power almost TEN times.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:36 pm Not losing power is always a plus during a storm.
That is SERIOUSLY true!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now that the snow has stopped, all I have to look forward to is shoveling. At least we have a snow blower.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:13 pm Now that the snow has stopped, all I have to look forward to is shoveling. At least we have a snow blower.

Make sure it works, my parents have one, but my dad said it doesn’t work. He didn’t fix it because he didn’t think we’d get snow.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:13 pm Now that the snow has stopped, all I have to look forward to is shoveling. At least we have a snow blower.
Wot, no sledding?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Hope your grandma is doing better, Dayzee.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: The snow blower that we had didn't turn on right away and I was afraid that we would have to shovel the several feet of snow in the driveway MANUALLY but my father got it working. Apparently we need to plug it in to start it up.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sophie came home Monday. We had brought her little body to the vet for cremation and had waited for nearly three weeks before the time came to bring her back. They placed her ashes in a lovely cedar box and included a card with paw prints from both of her front feet, including the little circle that had been her stunted right foot. Her collar, her leash, and several thoughtful cards from the vet and the staff.

Just before I reached the house, there was an older couple out walking along the road. David and BJ were two of Sophie's pals; she always loved encountering them. So I pulled over to give them the sad news and show them her box. After that, I couldn't continue home with my composure slowly dissolving - so I decided to take Sophie for a last ride. First, we went to her favorite beach. They had given me the box in a nice velvety sack, so I carried it along as I walked the beach. Such a beautiful day - the beach almost deserted and the ocean waves undulating gently. From there, I drove to the Urban Forest Center where we often walked, and Sophie would encounter turtles and other intriguing creatures. She was so adventurous and gentle, so eager to find other lives. We had the trails to ourselves. Our church is very close to the Center and it seemed appropriate to spent quiet time there as well. Sophie had been lethargic last St. Francis day but we took her anyways. As we'd suspected, the other dogs and cats perked her right up. They have a pet cemetery there but our elegant, joyous little fox will remain with us for now. Finally, we stopped at the ice cream stand the three of us would visit in summer. Sophie could always count on a small dish of softserve and a couple of children to fuss over her. It being January, the stand was closed and the parking lot broad and empty, two or three small piles of dirty snow here and there. A good place to be alone.

So Sophie came home, her bed, her sheep doll, her dish and doggie things were waiting for her. The missus would be around soon and rejoice that Sophie finally had completed her pilgrimage. Joys and sorrows ............
Attachments
Sophie came home Monday
Sophie came home Monday
image0 (4).jpeg (98.76 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Harry Johnathan

I'm terribly sorry about all this. I know what's it's like to lose a dog.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

My Sympathies, Weston she was a gorgeous dog and from what you reported was a beautiful soul as well.

DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Lovely to see a photo of Sophie, she looks a charming lady, nice to hear she is home at last, that is a very thoughtful gesture giving her a ride around her favourite spots, I'm sure she'd appreciate that, joys and Sorrows indeed. I didn't realise you have turtles in your area, that seems very exotic to me. It sounds like you have some very considerate vets, some kind gestures there and some lovely keepsakes, the paw prints seem particularly touching (and unique to Sophie). I am truly sorry for your loss.
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: Due to health issues that are exacerbated by eating it, I can no longer have Burger King.