Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am so sorry for your loss. Just know that he is at peace now.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

May he rest in peace. :(
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

My sympathies. May he Rest In Peace.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So sorry for your loss, Hlar.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: It seems to be finally warming up now
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Sorrow to Joy: Last night, around 1130, power went out. Came back around 2 and I decided to turn my computer back on to finish up some things. However, it was taking forever to boot and never got to the desktop. Today, kept doing it and it would load to the Login then hang then either go to black screen or give me an Explorer.exe System Warning popup. SO I basically kept turning it off and turning it on and...I got it working! Woohoo!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If that happened to me I would be close to losing it since I do need my computer a lot for my leisure time.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Technology is treacherous.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In the past it would have been because I banged on my computer. As I got older I mellowed out a little bit.

Just a little. :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Decades ago, I was working in an office when a colleague's computer just quit. His standard response to a recalcitrant computer was ferocious random keyboard pounding. This time, however, the fool thing started smoking! I have no idea if his button-pushing fury actually set off the carnage but we never let him forget it!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This must have been a very, very, very, VERY long time ago and also on a very archaic computer because I have never EVER heard of banging on a computer so much that it starts smoking because of it.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

NHWestoN wrote:Decades ago, I was working in an office when a colleague's computer just quit. His standard response to a recalcitrant computer was ferocious random keyboard pounding. This time, however, the fool thing started smoking! I have no idea if his button-pushing fury actually set off the carnage but we never let him forget it!
I used to do PC repairs. We called that "letting out the magic smoke."
Amazee Dayzee wrote:This must have been a very, very, very, VERY long time ago and also on a very archaic computer because I have never EVER heard of banging on a computer so much that it starts smoking because of it.
Dayzee...

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have already explained what I was trying to mean in Telegram. I wasn’t insulting his age or the period of life he was in. I was trying to get across that it had to be the computer that was old. Also that it had to be an earlier time period than now while not directly referencing his age or mocking it. I was being civil as I possibly could and wanted to get across that it had to be decades earlier. I have said nothing but his age and was only talking in terms of the equipment.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I have already explained what I was trying to mean in Telegram. I wasn’t insulting his age or the period of life he was in. I was trying to get across that it had to be the computer that was old. Also that it had to be an earlier time period than now while not directly referencing his age or mocking it. I was being civil as I possibly could and wanted to get across that it had to be decades earlier. I have said nothing but his age and was only talking in terms of the equipment.

It was, indeed, decades ago and it wasn't especially magic, Diss, but it sure did smoke! Fired up a bit, too; just a gawdafulllll mess!

When I was at a school during my military days, we had a class on the history of computers from someone who was "present at the creation" back in the 1950s. Back when you needed a computer the size of a meat locker to do simple division. She showed us a paperweight with a large Polyphemus moth encased in it which, she asserted, was the first "bug in a computer". Hatching out in the machine, the moth had caused various wires to combust and shorted the entire system. Commemorating this event, we have referred to any computer disruption ever since as a "Bug". Or so she said … and why should I have doubted her?

No offense intended, Amaz, no offense taken. ;)
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Sorrow: Both my University applications got rejected.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sorry that your university choices ended up rejecting you. I hope you will be able to make something work.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Persist, CunningFox, persist. If you can, write a letter and ask them for guidance on how you might improve your competitive edge. If you picked a major, go visit the department and ask for some "pointers" from the Chairbeing. Apply for some other schools, it's still early. Be not dismayed. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: My mother is still sick and I'm afraid that means I will eventually catch it. :o
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Sorry to hear about that, CunningFox, They don’t know what they’re missing.

Sorry to hear about your mom’s illness, Dayzee.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Get well, be well, sorry for your difficulties, Amaz.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

So, now that I can officially announce it...

Joy:

EEEEEEEEEE!
IMMA BE AN UNCLE!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Congrats!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Serious yippees there, Hlar!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Congratulations on your sibling and your in-law about to become parents Furr! That is just awesome! You will make a great uncle!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Congrats Hlaoroo, you’ll be a great uncle!

Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Congrats to you and the happy couple, Hlaoroo :D
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Sorrow: I'm sick
:(
Hlaoroo wrote:EEEEEEEEEE!
IMMA BE AN UNCLE!
Congratulations, buddy!
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Makes me wish I could become an aunt but neither of my siblings (can't say sisters since one is non-binary) aren't interested in kids and I don't think I would be a good mother.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Congrats to you and your family, Hlaoroo!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: The state that I love in (Rhode Island) is now under a state of emergency because of Coronavirus.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Sorrow: My group presentation in my statistics class was a trainwreck. It's upsetting when groupmates don't contribute or refuse to speak up. I can get over embarrassment but I can't get over a bad grade.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

My sympathies, Nathan, I've experienced those group presentations. It does suck when no one else participates.

Sorry to hear about the state of emergency, Dayzee.

Sorrow/Anger: A friend from college was struck and killed by an intoxicated driver. (alcohol and marijuana)

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm so sorry for your loss trekkie. At least try to take solace in the fact that he is in a better place.

Joy: My paycheck from working for the first few weeks is coming in!

Sorrow: Roscoe Born, someone who was a great soap opera actor and played nasty villains died at age 69 by suicide.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote:Sorrow: My group presentation in my statistics class was a trainwreck. It's upsetting when groupmates don't contribute or refuse to speak up. I can get over embarrassment but I can't get over a bad grade.
… which is why, when I was teaching, I stopped doing group presentations. There is no learning value for the group (or the audience) if everyone is held hostage by the indolence of the most disinterested member. Sorry you got rotted, NK.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

I'm seeing all these big events that aren't supposed to take place for months out (namely, E3 in mid June), and I'm getting concerned that my study abroad, currently scheduled for mid-May to Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic, is going to get cancelled.
Which would suck on numerous levels:
1. I'd be missing out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
2. I would have to stay an extra semester for one extra class
3. It would thus move my graduation date back a semester, and I don't think I have enough money in my college fund to handle that

So yeah, I'd be pretty run a marathon if it ends up getting cancelled, and the chances of that grows every day.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CuriousCnidarian wrote:I'm seeing all these big events that aren't supposed to take place for months out (namely, E3 in mid June), and I'm getting concerned that my study abroad, currently scheduled for mid-May to Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic, is going to get cancelled.
Which would suck on numerous levels:
1. I'd be missing out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
2. I would have to stay an extra semester for one extra class
3. It would thus move my graduation date back a semester, and I don't think I have enough money in my college fund to handle that

So yeah, I'd be pretty run a marathon if it ends up getting cancelled, and the chances of that grows every day.
such a wrenching mess - sorry for your difficulties, Cnid.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: I don't seem to be as sick as my mother is so that is good!

Sorrow: For some reason I still am stuffy.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Sorrow/joy but mostly sorrow: My campus cancelled all classes next week due to the coronavirus and they'll resume online on the 30th. Although this extends our spring break by a week, it's in response to several new cases in Wisconsin, two of which are fairly near me. And as I'm writing this the state just announced the first confirmed cases of community spread. I'm fortunate to live in an isolated home near my college but I feel bad for the exchange students who are stranded in the dorms. As my bio professor puts it, the virus itself isn't scary but how fast it's spreading is.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm feeling a bit better because I looked up the symptoms for this blasted virus and it looks like a stuffy nose isn't one of them so this might just be a small cold/allergies.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm feeling a bit better because I looked up the symptoms for this blasted virus and it looks like a stuffy nose isn't one of them so this might just be a small cold/allergies.
Shortness of breath is often a key indicator.