Music.

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Slippery-Q

Re: Music.

Post by Slippery-Q »

*Slippy bursts into the thread in a disorderly fashion. "BACK EVERYONE.. I SAID BACK!"*
*He then wips out his trusty "thread repair kit" and gets busy. "DON'T WORRY, BUD! WE'LL HAVE YOU BACK IN NO TIME!"*

... punk-rock ftw.
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Tehman wrote:New Muse album = Very Good
You know I've been thinking about them lately. They write catchy electronic music but I can't honestly say they're good. This new Undisclosed Desires song, though, is starting to sound OK after a few listens. It's much more pop than rock but the rhythms are good, the harmonies are a lot smoother than the usual "we're going to beat you over the head with the fact that Matt Bellamy sounds exactly like Thom Yorke" vocals, and those bass slaps really grabbed my attention.

Check out this live performance of the song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUTLu_uiKR8 - I actually like it better than the studio version, if only for how the acoustics of the room work on the drums.

Too bad they've had to lip sync Uprising so many times Image
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

some people call me a hipster and this is why:

Arcade Fire
Radiohead
Neutral Milk Hotel
Animal Collective
Beatles
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Nick Drake
Sonic Youth
Owen Pallett
Tom Waits
Neil Young

okay i might be a hipster, for heaven's sake the furriest band i like is Animal Collective, and i can't even listen through an entire album by them without getting annoyed.

and yeah i am an album person, not a singles person.
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

loudhawaiianshirt wrote:and yeah i am an album person, not a singles person.
Tell me about it. Listening to one song over and over can get annoying, and if the band is good enough, they're whole album will be good. :)
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Hahaha, Animal Collective. Jeez. The only song of theirs I can actually stand is My Girls, and that's a stretch to say 'stand'.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

Ebly wrote:Hahaha, Animal Collective. Jeez. The only song of theirs I can actually stand is My Girls, and that's a stretch to say 'stand'.
to properly enjoy animal collective, one must read pitchfork.com every day and smash one's head on a cement brick. fortunately i am prone to both hipsterism and work-related accidents.
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

on that note, i'm wearing a fedora
boooooom
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ebly wrote:on that note, i'm wearing a fedora
boooooom
I WILL TRADE YOU TOASTY'S RACCOON HAT FOR YOUR FEDORA :shock:
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Ebly wrote:on that note, i'm wearing a fedora
boooooom
I WILL TRADE YOU TOASTY'S RACCOON HAT FOR YOUR FEDORA :shock:
No. It's mine. Forever.

okay so please someone agree with me, cause it's recently started annoying me again: lily allen should stop writing her own lyrics. WHO THE HECK LET HER IN THE FIRST PLACE
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Ebly wrote: okay so please someone agree with me, cause it's recently started annoying me again: lily allen should stop writing her own lyrics. WHO THE HECK LET HER IN THE FIRST PLACE
Are they (meaning the lyrics, not the music, don't kill me) all as bad as Take What You Take? That's the only song of hers I've heard, since it was in Band Hero.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Worse, generally
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

I LIEK INDIE ROCK
Attachments
1262122760008.jpg
1262122760008.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 22702 times
Divinaparadiso4

Post by Divinaparadiso4 »

Interesting choices of music. I believe mine shall fit in just fine.

Bishop Allen
The Shins
Alkaline Trio
MGMT
Gogol Bordello
Flogging Molly
The Dresden Dolls

And some other stuff I can't remember right now.
Hey look a distraction!!!!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

okay i'm going to do a vague music list because i say so!

apparently my top-played artists are:

1. Operator Please (Well over 1000 plays)
2. Pink Floyd (I lovelovelovelovelove them!)
3. PlayRadioPlay! (I had no idea I'd listened to him so much!)
4. The Pillows (okay yes i have to admit i'd been slightly obsessed with FLCL for a little bit but I like their music for its music too!)
5. M1DY (I've gotten over speedcore of late but i still enjoy little spots of it here and there, and his silly little j-core spurts are fun)
6. Ingrid Michaelson (I'M A SAP SHUDDUP)
7. The Grates (agh, I can see why they're called the grates - her voice grates on my ears nowadays)
8. Feist (I maintain that I'm a Sap!)
9. Gorillaz (and yet I don't like Blur)
10. Faker
11. Arctic Monkeys
12. Pink (Shush! I don't know! All I know is that I usually get in trouble for this one! :U)
13. St Vincent (what can I say, ethereal voices give me chillsssss in a good way)
14. Benn Jordan (that's altogether, by the way - the flashbulb, flexe, acidwolf, any number of aliases...)
15. M. Ward (somehow though I don't like anything by She & Him. It seems that Zooey adds a real country element to his songs, and I don't appreciate it as much)

And it's not in my top 15 but I also like The XX, which are a new band and probably will just be a fad with me.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I believe my taste in music does not fit in with all of your chosen genres, but for the sake of it, I will post a list as well.

Tiësto
Fedde Le Grand
Paul Van Dyk
Deadmau5
Sneaky Sound System
Safri Duo
Peter Fox
Basshunter
DJ Smash
Junkie XL
Danzel
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Geoff wrote:I believe my taste in music does not fit in with all of your chosen genres, but for the sake of it, I will post a list as well.

Tiësto
Fedde Le Grand
Paul Van Dyk
Deadmau5
Sneaky Sound System
Safri Duo
Peter Fox
Basshunter
DJ Smash
Junkie XL
Danzel
GEOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Finally, someone else who likes the same kind of music I do! :D
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

i've heard of maybe one of those artists. if they are obscure, my hipster instincts will force me to rob some homeless people and force them to record a vinyl album that only I'd own.

IT WILL BE THE MOST OBSCURE MUSIC EVAR!!!

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
ArgentFlame

Post by ArgentFlame »

artists I like:

Celtic Woman
Enya
Loreena McKennit
Dragonforce
Blind Guardian
Pillar
Skillet
Three Days Grace
Linkin Park

EDIT: forgot to add these:
TWO-MIX
Origa
T.M. Revolution
Nobuo Uematsu
Black Stone Cherry

behold my weirdly varied taste in music
Last edited by ArgentFlame on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Del S2 P6 E2 C5 I10 A8 L3
Sean S6 P5 E10 C3 I6 A6 L6
Bastion S5 P6 E4 C8 I5 A10 L4
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Geoff wrote:I believe my taste in music does not fit in with all of your chosen genres, but for the sake of it, I will post a list as well.

Tiësto
Fedde Le Grand
Paul Van Dyk
Deadmau5
Sneaky Sound System
Safri Duo
Peter Fox
Basshunter
DJ Smash
Junkie XL
Danzel
GEOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Finally, someone else who likes the same kind of music I do! :D
You like these artists as well? I find that odd and humorous at the same time due to that fact that I rarely find people that like this type of music. Nevertheless I am also happy to find that another on this forum likes this music.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

You guys would be eaten alive and spat out like used chewing gum by my electronic 'connoisseur' friends (if I can really call them friends, 'cause they're the kind of people that are nasty unless you're into what they're into before they were into it)!

Anyway, as much as I can appreciate silly dancey pop-electronic music (the ian carey project and sneaky sound system both give me goodchills, as an example) I could never in my life enjoy Tiësto or Basshunter. Ughhhh Tiësto is just arrogant and thinks he single-handedly created dance music and Basshunter seems to really enjoy sampling himself and posting less-than-wholesome pictures of himself on the internet. I can't like either of them personally and it really detracts from the stuff they make.

As far as Fedde Le Grand goes, house booooooores me. Sure, techno (and I mean techno for real, as in, what people who actually know the first thing about electronic music call techno) bores me, and trance can get boring, and hardstyle gets on my nerves, but house boooooohoohoohoohoooooores me. Though I can sometimes stand Paul Van Dyk. Anyway, just emphasizing that I have no problem with the artists, and that I just flat out don't like that particular subgenre of electronic music.

When it comes to electronic music, give me Evil Activities and Angerfist over David Guetta any day! Dieselboy and Current Value, not Hoxton ****** and Eric Prydz!

...On that note I also like Black Sun Empire and Kryptic Minds. So yeah basically I'm into hardcore (more specifically gabber is a lot of fun!) and dnb (though i was into idm before dnb, as much as idm is to electronic music as minimalism is to visual art). Techstep is the closest I'll get to touching techno with a 20-foot pole!

SHIRTMAN! Those artists aren't obscure, they're just electronic, which means they're dime a dozen. I r nice person!

Edit: JUST SO YOU KNOW I WROTE THIS POST WITH A FRIEND OVER MY SHOULDER AND WE BOTH LAUGHED HEARTILY THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH
YOU'RE MEANT TO LAUGH AT THE ARROGANCE, NOT GET OFFENDED

on that note, though, i really do prefer hardcore, gabber, dnb and idm way over house and techno
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Ebly wrote:You guys would be eaten alive and spat out like used chewing gum by my electronic 'connoisseur' friends (if I can really call them friends, 'cause they're the kind of people that are nasty unless you're into what they're into before they were into it)!

Anyway, as much as I can appreciate silly dancey pop-electronic music (the ian carey project and sneaky sound system both give me goodchills, as an example) I could never in my life enjoy Tiësto or Basshunter. Ughhhh Tiësto is just arrogant and thinks he single-handedly created dance music and Basshunter seems to really enjoy sampling himself and posting less-than-wholesome pictures of himself on the internet. I can't like either of them personally and it really detracts from the stuff they make.

As far as Fedde Le Grand goes, house booooooores me. Sure, techno (and I mean techno for real, as in, what people who actually know the first thing about electronic music call techno) bores me, and trance can get boring, and hardstyle gets on my nerves, but house boooooohoohoohoohoooooores me. Though I can sometimes stand Paul Van Dyk. Anyway, just emphasizing that I have no problem with the artists, and that I just flat out don't like that particular subgenre of electronic music.

When it comes to electronic music, give me Evil Activities and Angerfist over David Guetta any day! Dieselboy and Current Value, not Hoxton ****** and Eric Prydz!

...On that note I also like Black Sun Empire and Kryptic Minds. So yeah basically I'm into hardcore (more specifically gabber is a lot of fun!) and dnb (though i was into idm before dnb, as much as idm is to electronic music as minimalism is to visual art). Techstep is the closest I'll get to touching techno with a 20-foot pole!

SHIRTMAN! Those artists aren't obscure, they're just electronic, which means they're dime a dozen. I r nice person!

Edit: JUST SO YOU KNOW I WROTE THIS POST WITH A FRIEND OVER MY SHOULDER AND WE BOTH LAUGHED HEARTILY THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH
YOU'RE MEANT TO LAUGH AT THE ARROGANCE, NOT GET OFFENDED

on that note, though, i really do prefer hardcore, gabber, dnb and idm way over house and techno
Well I will say that I was not offended at all by this, frankly I do not see anyone who would be, and yes I will agree that your post is humorous. Nevertheless I will have to disagree with you on the entire matter, I have been to both Tiësto and Basshunter performances, and while I only had the lucky chance of meeting Tiësto in person, they both seem like very humble people, on that note, dance music was around before Tiësto even started to DJ in little nightclubs in the Netherlands, so it is highly improbable that he would even think he started dance music. I do not see how house style music can bore you, and I will leave it at that. I respect your opinion, and I do so hope that you respect mine as well.

Now I am not one for "My friends will eat you alive" kind of talk, but that part did make me laugh.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Geoff wrote:You like these artists as well? I find that odd and humorous at the same time due to that fact that I rarely find people that like this type of music. Nevertheless I am also happy to find that another on this forum likes this music.
Well, the one's I'm noticing on your list are DeadMau5, Paul van Dyk, Tiesto, and Basshunter. The others are unbeknowest to me, but I imagine their around the same genre of music.
Yes, Ebly, I like Tiesto and Basshunter. Get off my back.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Geoff wrote:Well I will say that I was not offended at all by this, frankly I do not see anyone who would be, and yes I will agree that your post is humorous. Nevertheless I will have to disagree with you on the entire matter, I have been to both Tiësto and Basshunter performances, and while I only had the lucky chance of meeting Tiësto in person, they both seem like very humble people, on that note, dance music was around before Tiësto even started to DJ in little nightclubs in the Netherlands, so it is highly improbable that he would even think he started dance music. I do not see how house style music can bore you, and I will leave it at that. I respect your opinion, and I do so hope that you respect mine as well.

Now I am not one for "My friends will eat you alive" kind of talk, but that part did make me laugh.
Eh, my opinions on Tiësto are mostly based on mere exposure rather than direct experience, so I'm willing to admit that I could be wrong. My opinion on Basshunter is more based on... other things. Including certain pictures of him. Things that Buck would be very unhappy about.

Thank you for respecting my opinion! I also respect yours, of course. House seems to be very popular and I don't see how anyone could have a problem with other people enjoying it. Heeheeheehee.

And yeah, I was considering only saying that friends thing as a joke, but I didn't.

Brawlyboy I'm always on your back and you know it has nothing to do with what music you like
caesalson

Post by caesalson »

Well, now I know my tastes are very different from other people, but here goes:

Nightwish
Moonspell
Rage Against The Machine
Muse
The Fratellis
Lamb Of God
Dethklok
blink-182 (kind of a guilty pleasure of mine.)
Metallica
Slipknot
My Chemical Romance
Pink Floyd
The Game

Post by The Game »

Grace Kelly/Lollipop-Mika (he rox!!)
Hot 'n Cold (If you hate that song, don't watch the sqeakuel)
Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

F-Minus
Nekromantix
Horrorpops
Operation Ivy
(old)Anti-Flag
Rancid
Lars Frederiksen & The I love you
Tim Armstrong
Bad Religion
Ben Weasel
The Bouncing Souls
CKY
Descendents
The Exploited
The Casualties
The Clash
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murpheys
Goldfinger
(old) Greenday
Less Than Jake
LIT
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Fishbone
NOFX
ChucksNation
OPM
Screeching Weasel
Slightly Stoopid
(old)Blink-182

Those are the one's off the top of my head. I'll post more later.
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

loudhawaiianshirt wrote:i've heard of maybe one of those artists. if they are obscure, my hipster instincts will force me to rob some homeless people and force them to record a vinyl album that only I'd own.

IT WILL BE THE MOST OBSCURE MUSIC EVAR!!!

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
None of them are obscure, but they're all either "turntablism/club DJ" music or electronica.

You've heard of Cut Chemist, right Geoff? What do you think about him?
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

oh well i don't listen to much club music. i shall still record music so it is obscure and then I can have hipster superiority.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

What are with all these people posting popular bands in specific genres and thinking they're obscure, heeheehee! Everyone I know who likes metal knows Nightwish and Dethklok and RAtM and oh you get the idea, and everyone I know who likes ska has told me about The Skatalites, y'know? :B
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Ebly wrote:What are with all these people posting popular bands in specific genres and thinking they're obscure, heeheehee! Everyone I know who likes metal knows Nightwish and Dethklok and RAtM and oh you get the idea
Hint: No one is saying that
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

machchunk wrote:
Ebly wrote:What are with all these people posting popular bands in specific genres and thinking they're obscure, heeheehee! Everyone I know who likes metal knows Nightwish and Dethklok and RAtM and oh you get the idea
Hint: No one is saying that
"These people" is not restricted to the housepets forum, funnily enough
Haven't you encountered people like that? I seem to have seen a lot at once D:

Edit: I used examples from here because I couldn't think of anything! Besides the Skatalites. I'm sick of hearing about them!

...oh, I said 'posting'
that would explain it
my mistake
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Ebly wrote:
Haven't you encountered people like that? I seem to have seen a lot at once D:
Nope

And I can't think of a place where people are that stupid either
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

machchunk wrote:that stupid
never underestimate stupidity
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

I see everyone is list-postin' so I guess I'll C&P my list from another forum

"All the artists I have 2 or more albums from

Primus
Marilyn Manson
Metallica
Kanye West
Gorillaz
Daft Punk

Other artists I enjoy

Alice In Chains
Calansho
David Bowie
Korn
Pink Floyd
Spiderbait
Bloc Party
Soundgarden
Testament
Vinnie and the Stardusters (the lulziest band ever)"
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Which albums of Daft Punk's? I have to ask!

I'm surprised by how many people I know who like black betty and MAYBE ****en awesome and that's it. But that's probably just people I know!
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Ebly wrote:Which albums of Daft Punk's? I have to ask!
Homework and Discovery

I'm trying to get into Human After All but I just can't
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

machchunk wrote:
Ebly wrote:Which albums of Daft Punk's? I have to ask!
Homework and Discovery

Yay! I'm glad you seem to share my opinion on that one.

Also, props on Pink Floyd, since I'm a big fan.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

machchunk wrote:Homework and Discovery

Ummm, I have Human After All, if you want it......
I'm a HUGE fan of Daft Punk, too. Have all of their currently released CDs except for Alive 1997
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Teh Brawler wrote:Ummm, I have Human After All, if you want it......
'Trying to get into', not 'trying to get', but then I'm not machchunk so I can't really speak for him.

I put my iTunes on shuffle and was reminded of a whole lot of music I forgot I had!
Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

Ebly wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote:Ummm, I have Human After All, if you want it......
'Trying to get into', not 'trying to get', but then I'm not machchunk so I can't really speak for him.

I put my iTunes on shuffle and was reminded of a whole lot of music I forgot I had!
lol.. iTunes. Zune, ftfw. I broke my Zune pass. I've been getting 8 straight months of free music. :>