Moderator: ArcWolf

Onlythebassist

Re: Music.

Post by Onlythebassist »

Seth wrote:Why is german music so good?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV54t7ZmxjM

and why can't i stop listening to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfmy5Vlh9ac
German music you say? I have just the thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHUsIU161w4

\m/ :twisted:
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

:mrgreen:
I love Rammstein!!!!!!
My cousin's a big fan, I heard him talking about them alot, this was the first video I ever saw fro mthem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkQ124B9X6Y
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

Hello again...

You know? I never thought that i will have a "favorite song"...I always said that was by the emotion and situation...but this is...my first one...the first song that i can say is my favorite one! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9b6jgbNyc

Makes me shiver...always
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I was watching the video to 1979 by the smashing pumpkins and I ended up on hte verge of tears.
I relaized that high school is done. My group of friends is broken apart and scattered, and drifting apart. I'll never talk to Roxanne in English class again, I'll never spend all of video production on facebook again, never hang out before school playing hackey sack again. It's over, it's done, and we can never be that close again. We'll never sit in my living room until 5 am watching movies again, never all go to that chinese buffet we love, never spend another thursday playing d and d at the comic shop, never spend another afternoon in jeremy's lame excuse for a pool, never walk across town to Roxanne's apartment with nate, summer's over forever, those simple sublime days just enjoying each others company even if we aren't doing anything. There's no more days at the park eating ice cream, no more walks to el oasis or late night's at Theio's. Those days are gone, and I'll never be that happy again. My circle of friends will never be that close again, we'll never play another game of never have I ever at 3am crammed in jeremy's living room. There may be more joy down the road, but I'll never get back what I've lost. And it was the most heart rending thing I've ever went through.
Not sure if this is the right thread but I need to post this somewhere.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Alex

Post by Alex »

Seth wrote:I was watching the video to 1979 by the smashing pumpkins and I ended up on hte verge of tears.
I relaized that high school is done. My group of friends is broken apart and scattered, and drifting apart. I'll never talk to Roxanne in English class again, I'll never spend all of video production on facebook again, never hang out before school playing hackey sack again. It's over, it's done, and we can never be that close again. We'll never sit in my living room until 5 am watching movies again, never all go to that chinese buffet we love, never spend another thursday playing d and d at the comic shop, never spend another afternoon in jeremy's lame excuse for a pool, never walk across town to Roxanne's apartment with nate, summer's over forever, those simple sublime days just enjoying each others company even if we aren't doing anything. There's no more days at the park eating ice cream, no more walks to el oasis or late night's at Theio's. Those days are gone, and I'll never be that happy again. My circle of friends will never be that close again, we'll never play another game of never have I ever at 3am crammed in jeremy's living room. There may be more joy down the road, but I'll never get back what I've lost. And it was the most heart rending thing I've ever went through.
Not sure if this is the right thread but I need to post this somewhere.
I believe it'd be more suited for Joys and Sorrows, but it's okay, since a song reminded you of that. I can just tell you that the same happened to me. I was lucky, some of my friends are now going to the same university as I am, and I even met there some I thought I'll never see again. But the rest is gone, and all that remains are great memories. However, you can't say that you'll never see them again. You will, and then the joy will be greater.

Anyway, classical anyone? This song is the father of shredding!
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Chopin and Liszt are somewhere in that family!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I love this song John Lee Hooker Boom Boom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X70VMrH3 ... re=related
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's a lot less cool than I expected it to be, to be honest.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

UGH. I HATE DUBSTEP D;<
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

zeldakeeper wrote:UGH. I HATE DUBSTEP D;<
Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't mind dubstep, aesthetically speaking, but I think there's a severe lack of flexibility and variety. It's like they tried to make an entire genre out of a cool sound effect.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:It's like they tried to make an entire genre out of a cool sound effect.
that's not what they did?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

What you're talking about is the silly "Brostep" that a bunch of frat boys picked up and got popular, all based around the drop. Dubstep originally sounded a LOT different, a few years ago.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGdSipIb ... ture=feedu

No, this isn't dubstep, don't worry haters. :V
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I believe it'd be more suited for Joys and Sorrows, but it's okay, since a song reminded you of that. I can just tell you that the same happened to me. I was lucky, some of my friends are now going to the same university as I am, and I even met there some I thought I'll never see again. But the rest is gone, and all that remains are great memories. However, you can't say that you'll never see them again. You will, and then the joy will be greater.

Anyway, classical anyone? This song is the father of shredding![/quote]

Luckily I go to college within walking distance of my old neighborhood (it's a heck of a walk but it can be done)
I'm pretty sure you're right, it's just at that moment was the first time it really hit me that I was never going back to that stuff.

zeldakeeper wrote:UGH. I HATE DUBSTEP D;<
BLAPHEMER!!!!!!!!
I'm not a huge fan but I do enjoy some good dubstep.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

Sleet wrote:
That's a lot less cool than I expected it to be, to be honest.
I happened to think it was awesome. But it might be more because I can't stand Korn, and like, I feel that if it was just Korn the song would be way worse than it actually is. Oh and:
Sleet wrote:I don't mind dubstep, aesthetically speaking, but I think there's a severe lack of flexibility and variety. It's like they tried to make an entire genre out of a cool sound effect.
I wouldn't be surprised. A lot of genres are build this way. What is Drum and Bass, if not an entire genre built around the Amen Break? Or Goregrind, which is basically an entire genre that is just "Grindcore, except silly lyrics."
Daggy wrote:What you're talking about is the silly "Brostep" that a bunch of frat boys picked up and got popular, all based around the drop. Dubstep originally sounded a LOT different, a few years ago.
And by "a lot different" you mean "a lot worse."

I'm biased of course because I have a preference for heavy distortion, dirty sounds and overall heaviness, regardless of genre. I like my guitars detuned and distorted, I like my hip hop to be hard and dirty, my electronica to be harsh and dissonant with high BPM. Oldschool dubstep from years ago I find tremendously boring and repetitive for being so slow and not harsh. Loudness, higher tempos, and distortion kind of distract me from repetitiveness, so I like the modern Dubstep much better.

I do get annoyed though with the "brostep" moniker and the idea that some modern dubstep producers are focusing on the wrong things, missing the point, or otherwise selling out to be mainstream. Genres evolve. That's all there is to it.

I also find it odd that you speak negatively about modern dubstep when Skrillex is most definitely in that camp, and you just posted a song by him.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Some skrillex is good. Some is bad. I find a good majority of his songs consists of just constant drops. That's not fun when it's the entire song.

Skrillex can be good. Skrillex can also not sound like some of his songs during collaborations (Such as the one I linked). Constant dropping isn't fun. A good drop will be far more fun to listen (to me anyway).

I personally have a slight preference towards the more melodic parts of various genres. People do differ, naturally.

Also, I didn't mean "Brostep" as though it's negative. It's produced some fantastic music and evolved the genre. I just prefer stuff like this rather than ~1m 30s through here. It's cool and good and all, but when the rest of the song past the drop is just all of that...not my preference.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

bwah bwah
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

mona88

Post by mona88 »

Recently I'm been listening to Taylor Swift - Enchanted. It's really awesome~
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

So how many people here like goth music?
Sent from my conifer.
Rhyzer

Post by Rhyzer »

Does Evanescence count?~ ;o
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

yehoshua wrote:So how many people here like goth music?
Some of it. It's really a pretty broad "genre," and I like some more than others.
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

Dubstep just sounds like a load of noise to me...WHERE'S THE LOVE? Where's the hours of work writing it, the love gone into the lyrics and the blistered thumbs and sore throats from practising it? No where bro!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

zeldakeeper wrote:Dubstep just sounds like a load of noise to me...WHERE'S THE LOVE? Where's the hours of work writing it, the love gone into the lyrics and the blistered thumbs and sore throats from practising it? No where bro!
As with other electronic styles, good dubstep actually does take hours to write, and sometimes it does have lyrics.

As for practicing it, that doesn't really happen (except for concerts with live mixing). But I don't really think that makes the music any less good.
Rhyzer

Post by Rhyzer »

I've recently taken an interest in listening to Anamanaguchi -- a band praised for it's [Chiptune] Electronic Rock. Its a really good band -- but this is just my opinion, so I dunno if Electronic / Indie Rock is your cup 'o tea or not. Still...it's pretty good and all...! C:
Senator_Sunburst

Sleet wrote: As for practicing it, that doesn't really happen (except for concerts with live mixing).
It's totally doable to record elecontric songs live and make them that way. Load up your patches into an MPC/use a midi keyboard/record into your mic, (there's tons of other things too) and you can "play" them and create an electronic song in that kind of (in my opinion, rather lame) way most people think of when writing songs.

Like this, was basically made "live."

Also speaking of MPCs, I thought this was hilarious. Skip to about 54 seconds if you want to skip the intro.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

The Cinematic Orchestra, I just can't get enough of that :D .
Who knows Deezer btw?
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I don't think I've heard enough Dubstep to develop a real opinion of it, but I've generally found it neither intolerable nor terribly inspiring.

Also, just throwing this out here, call me simple-minded, but I'm not the biggest fan of sad songs, even moreso songs that are supposedly not sad but sound like they're trying to make me sad. But there's also this one particular feeling of music that I'm particularly adverse to which is rather hard to explain, but essentially sounds like the kind of thing I would fall asleep to on a long trip. It perfectly encapsulates the lack of energy and ennui that would accompany that, and tends to consist of echoes, notable slowness (not necessarily softness), often but not always electronic instruments, but most importantly serious lyrics that are incredibly invested in emotion but are really upfront about it, like as if the lyrics are "I'M SAD" and the background music is really intense about it as though you didn't get it. Regardless of the emotion trying to be expressed, it comes off as incredibly annoying to me. That's not to say that I dislike all songs that are expressive or unhappy, but this particular method of expression which is really difficult to describe but easy to hear is one of the only things that will make me desperate to turn off whatever music-emitting device has been deployed in my vicinity.

Anyways, on a note unrelated to me rambling about things I don't like, here's some music.
Image Image
Reconstruction

Post by Reconstruction »

If someone would mention Jonathan Coulton, and explain whut Dubstep is...then I would luv you, dont mean to pester but I'm stuck on J.C. music, it makes me laugh everytime...it makes me realize that life's too short to be sad about, and that I need to go out there and kick life's **** a few tims before I go!

Mod Edit: Do not attempt to evade the profanity filter. If you're going to self-censor, make sure to completely obliterate the word with asterisks.
I'm a fairly interesting person once you get to know me, but seeing as nobody can successfully navigate my minefield I guess they'll never truly know.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:It's totally doable to record elecontric songs live and make them that way. Load up your patches into an MPC/use a midi keyboard/record into your mic, (there's tons of other things too) and you can "play" them and create an electronic song in that kind of (in my opinion, rather lame) way most people think of when writing songs.
Maybe this is just me being an old fogey, but personally I think all electronic music (outside of the really out-there subgenres) should be made that way. :D
Senator_Sunburst

Sleet wrote:Maybe this is just me being an old fogey, but personally I think all electronic music (outside of the really out-there subgenres) should be made that way. :D
You're just an old fogey. :P
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Reconstruction wrote:If someone would mention Jonathan Coulton, and explain whut Dubstep is...then I would luv you, dont mean to pester but I'm stuck on J.C. music, it makes me laugh everytime...it makes me realize that life's too short to be sad about, and that I need to go out there and kick life's **** a few tims before I go!

Mod Edit: Do not attempt to evade the profanity filter. If you're going to self-censor, make sure to completely obliterate the word with asterisks.
Dubstep is pretty much this or some variation of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJVdivi0fzM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu8U25ZDQy8

hope this helps
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

I can't stand dubstep, but yeah... that's just like, my opinion, man.

I also don't like it because I think it sounds like a bunch of sounds, too. However, saying that makes me a hypocrite, because there is one type of electronic music that I like sometimes and many would also think it sounds like a bunch of sounds.

It's by a ambient electronic music artist from Vancouver who goes by "Loscil"

Literally the most relaxing thing I've ever heard, especially on a rainy day.

This is way different from what I normally listen to.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »