Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JayBarker

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by JayBarker »

I'm that one person who isn't super into Zelda. But that does help me know what I would be in for. Hmm, maybe if it goes on sale again I'll give it an honest shot. You guys seem to think its pretty alright.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

With me, I did a playthrough of Resident Evil's 2-4 again (The remakes of 2 and 3 as I don't own the originals) on Xbox and was playing Batman: Arkham Knight again which I'm rather mixed on. The one paw it's a fun game and a nice step up from the previous entries but on the other paw? I'm not a fan of the open-world - I like open-world games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls but I also sometimes like a contained open-world - and, while some of the missions are fine, the Riddler Trophies are probably some of the worst (It reminds me of getting all the orbs in Crackdown 2).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I have RE2:RM, never played all of it but its a fun game. I'm somewhat intereted in the 3 remake as well but I don't know if I wanna pull the trigger one that and not play it. I've played through all the Arkham series and its a fun ride. Though I definitely get what you're saying with the open world thing. It's nice that they give you the car (and I think I rember fast travel?) to mitigate that ride. but I did have more fun in Arkham City. Bigger isn't always better and I think games like Yakuza prove that.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

JayBarker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:22 pm I have RE2:RM, never played all of it but its a fun game. I'm somewhat intereted in the 3 remake as well but I don't know if I wanna pull the trigger one that and not play it. I've played through all the Arkham series and its a fun ride. Though I definitely get what you're saying with the open world thing. It's nice that they give you the car (and I think I rember fast travel?) to mitigate that ride. but I did have more fun in Arkham City. Bigger isn't always better and I think games like Yakuza prove that.
I hated the Batmobile - though I love the design though I don't remember Fast Travel in the game - in Knight and you are also right; Not every game needs to be a sprawling metropolis. It was one of my chief complaints with Breath Of The Wild (among thousands of other things), the open world nature, though an interesting idea, really hurt the game (plus, the fact that you have instant access to the final boss is dumb). To me, while I never played the Yakuza games, the best open-world games I've played that did it right were:
- Fallout 4
- Skyrim
- Borderlands series
- Mass Effect: Andromeda (I will defend this game with my LIFE)
- Minecraft
- RAGE (the first game more so than the second, even though the sequel is fun)
- Saints Row 2 and 3 (Never played 1 and I do not care for 4)

Here's hoping this years Gotham Knights and next years Suicide Squad game from Rocksteady - Random Fact: Did you know their first game was a FPS called Urban Chaos: Riot Response? - goes back to a smaller open world.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I can understand that. Though, isn't the new gotham game like a 4 player Avengers type game? Or did I misread whats going on with that game? Either way, since there's no actual batman in it I'm probably gonna like it more than normal. I'll openly say I'm not at all a DC fan but the arkham games were objectively fun with some amazing DLC. especially in City if I remember correctly.

My favorite open world games have been
-Miles morales/Spiderman 2018
- Mirrors edge catylist.
- I enjoyed skyrim for a time.
Really my games have to have a really good movement system for me to like them.

Also, another fun fact. That game you just said was something I have literally looking for since 2006 or whenever I rented it. I never could find it again but I remember it from the cop and riot shield. Bless you sir.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

JayBarker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:09 pm I can understand that. Though, isn't the new gotham game like a 4 player Avengers type game? Or did I misread whats going on with that game? Either way, since there's no actual batman in it I'm probably gonna like it more than normal. I'll openly say I'm not at all a DC fan but the arkham games were objectively fun with some amazing DLC. especially in City if I remember correctly.

My favorite open world games have been
-Miles morales/Spiderman 2018
- Mirrors edge catylist.
- I enjoyed skyrim for a time.
Really my games have to have a really good movement system for me to like them.

Also, another fun fact. That game you just said was something I have literally looking for since 2006 or whenever I rented it. I never could find it again but I remember it from the cop and riot shield. Bless you sir.
No worries, that's what I'm here for :) And thank you for reminding me about Catalyst as I've been meaning to play that game (It's on EA Play so i might give it a go, since I got Game Pass and EA Play is included with it).

And I'm not a DC fan either - I did enjoy the Suicide Squad and Aquaman movies though! - and even I'll say the Arkham games are good, though City did kind of drag a bit near the end (The Gotham Knights game is that four-player game with Nightwing, Red Hood, Robin, and Batgirl that can also be played solo). It's a pity that Superman or any of the other DC heroes never got the same treatment in game form.

Same goes with Marvel. I think the last good Marvel games I played were UMVC3, Marvel VS Capcom Infinite, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine The Game.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

So you don't enjoy the new spider-man games? I'm pretty surprised to hear that. but I'm also incredibly biased and have played them both collectively about 20 times now. So I'm probably just a shill.

I understand but I also recognize how hard it would be to make a worthwile game for characters like that. In fact I'm very surprised the flash hasn't gotten a game. Machines are fast enough to play around with the speed he would have and we have brawler style combat down pretty good too.

Oh yes, the Gamepass is great value if you have an Xbox and the time to jump from game to game. or at least I feal that way. Not so much if you want a lot of MP games though.

You liked MVCI? It disappointed me a lot. The core combat is actually really good but like, everything else is bad in my opinion. The way it looked, the "story" they sold the game on. The way they handedled content and updates. but Im also very plugged into the competitive fighting game scene so, I'm looking at it from a non-casual perspective. Assuming thats what you're looking at it from.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

JayBarker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:20 pm So you don't enjoy the new spider-man games? I'm pretty surprised to hear that. but I'm also incredibly biased and have played them both collectively about 20 times now. So I'm probably just a shill.

I understand but I also recognize how hard it would be to make a worthwile game for characters like that. In fact I'm very surprised the flash hasn't gotten a game. Machines are fast enough to play around with the speed he would have and we have brawler style combat down pretty good too.

Oh yes, the Gamepass is great value if you have an Xbox and the time to jump from game to game. or at least I feal that way. Not so much if you want a lot of MP games though.

You liked MVCI? It disappointed me a lot. The core combat is actually really good but like, everything else is bad in my opinion. The way it looked, the "story" they sold the game on. The way they handedled content and updates. but Im also very plugged into the competitive fighting game scene so, I'm looking at it from a non-casual perspective. Assuming thats what you're looking at it from.
I don't own a PS4 or PS5 (nor an Xbox Series X) so I can't give an opinion on the Spider Man games....other then I enjoyed the N64 one.

As someone who plays fighting games for fun and relaxation (never online), I thought that MVCI was fun and easy for me to get into, similar to MK11 and Killer Instinct. I know it's not the most well-liked and I know of the issues but honestly? I was able to look past that and just enjoy it for what it was; A fun fighting game.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Ah, that's a bit of a shame. Hopefully one day you can get into them. They're very fun games!

That makes perfect sense. MVCI had a great core. Like I said, the fighting as it is, is pretty fun. But I think Fighterz did what it was doing but better. That's why that game kinda died off so fast and was only patched like, twice in its life.

Killer instinic was a fun and competitively viable thing in my mind. That's just an all around good time and the online netcode is SO good. its like playing local and I 100 percent respect that!
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

I tried FighterZ during a free weekend and...OK this is gonna sound odd but I didn't care for it because there was no English Dub option (that I could find) which turned me off from the game. It's weird but whenever I play any game from Japan, I rather hear the English dub then the Japanese original (something about the voice actors and actress they use just...I dunno).
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

There is absolutely an english voice option for fighterz. I often switch between both. Depending on who I play. I hate gohans (teen) new voice from kai so if I have him or kid goku its in japanese. other wise its english.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Hm, didn't know that.

Also, Do not buy Blacksad: Under The Skin on PC or consoles. Even after the last patch, the game is still very buggy and has an abysmal frame-rate that will make some QTEs (Quick Time Events) tricky and/or cutscenes hard to watch. Worse, if the game crashes on a loading screen, the save becomes unplayable (in my case, it shot me back to a previous moment and the camera was now above the location, making it impossible to see anything). I wanted to give this game a fair chance but yeah do not buy this game. There is a walkthrough of the game on youtube so if you're still interested, there you go but otherwise? Don't bother.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I don't think I've ever heard of that game before, but thanks for the warning. What was it supposed to have been about?
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

JayBarker wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:01 pm I don't think I've ever heard of that game before, but thanks for the warning. What was it supposed to have been about?
(Taken from the wiki) "Blacksad: Under the Skin is set in New York City during the 1950s, and takes place chronologically between Blacksad: Arctic Nation and Red Soul. Its story begins when protagonist John Blacksad is approached by Sonia Dunn, daughter of a boxing club owner who has died suspiciously. She asks Blacksad to investigate the situation and locate the club's star fighter, who has been missing since her father's death."

You also need to know this: It's from the same guys behind last years abysmal XIII Remastered.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I don't know what XIII is actually ^^;; I know tales of the series, I was around when the original came out. But I've never played it. Just saw that it was cell shaded.

So, its a Noir kinda thing? huh. Gotcha.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

JayBarker wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:05 pm I don't know what XIII is actually ^^;; I know tales of the series, I was around when the original came out. But I've never played it. Just saw that it was cell shaded.

So, its a Noir kinda thing? huh. Gotcha.
Yeah, the remastering loses the cell-shading, sadly, and is very broken (The A.I broke so badly in one mission that for the rest of the game? They wouldn't even attack or acknowledge me).
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Oh wow. . that's . . . no good. . and they charge full price for something like that? Are they offering refunds or acknowledging its bad and promising updates or something?
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Shame to hear blacksad is so buggy, was half thinking of getting that.

Just been playing Skyrim, I'm comically bad, got attacked by a wolf, got a bounty on my head after accidentally stumbling into an occupied house and then shortly after chased by the local gaurds, this Deer may not be cut out for the mercinary life :?
Disproportionately Dappled
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

What a silly time in Skyrim. Almost sounds scripted out.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:14 pm What a silly time in Skyrim. Almost sounds scripted out.
Yeah, I'm really that bad at it, I'll get it eventually.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I believe in you Deer friend! Practice practice practice. Or just mod yourself some silly weapons to get yourself out of binds.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Thanks, I'll get there, just very rusty, you asked have I modded it, no, just running the standard version till I get the hang though the anthro mod looks fun, not sure how easy it would be on the ps3 mind. Playing as a Khajiit rather predictably.

On another note eternal sonata turned up today so looking forward to trying that out.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Can you mod the Ps3 version? Maybe you can, I have no idea. I just know the whole ps3 infrastructure was a mess. Also nothin wrong with playing Vanilla every now and again.

Eternal Sonata sounds Familiar but its escaping me at the moment.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:37 pm Can you mod the Ps3 version? Maybe you can, I have no idea. I just know the whole ps3 infrastructure was a mess. Also nothin wrong with playing Vanilla every now and again.

Eternal Sonata sounds Familiar but its escaping me at the moment.
Aparrently you can but it seems to involve some major work so may not go that route. I have elder scrolls 3 on cd for the pc but when I installed it recently on windows 7 it refused to work (people say it will but I can't get it to run even in compatibility mode).
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Oh man, That's unfortunate. I'd offer to help but I'm sadly just a console dog. I don't know how to help with any of that stuff. Though, is elder scrolls three uhh . . . . . Redguard? or marrowind? I think? one of the ones I was recommended on playing at some point.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:19 pm Oh man, That's unfortunate. I'd offer to help but I'm sadly just a console dog. I don't know how to help with any of that stuff. Though, is elder scrolls three uhh . . . . . Redguard? or marrowind? I think? one of the ones I was recommended on playing at some point.
Cheers, appreciate the thought in any case, Morrowwind it is, got a game editor bundled with it as well, some forums said about trying an earlier version of direct x so may try that, computer tech not really my thing.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I completely understand friend. I'd like it to be my thing one day but I'm just to lazy. Let me know how the game works out though.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Started Eternal Sonata, enjoying it so far, chose to go for Japanese speach with English subtitles, seems to suit it better than the English voices, graphics look pretty nice for an old game and I'm liking the story feel to it, I like how it uses the music of Chopin in it, very atmospheric.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Reinstalled both Wolfenstien 2 and Wolfenstien Youngblood (Both of which i got for review back in 2018) as I just had the urge to play through them again. W2 was OK - didn't care for the story and the gameplay, while fun...I wish the option to dual-wield all the guns wasn't in the game at all - and I really loved Youngblood (fixed every issue I had with W2 INCLUDING the dual-wielding, limiting it to only the pistol and small SMG).
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

For review? Nice.

That being said you enjoyed Youngblood? I've heard nothing but bad from that game. Of course this was from like, week one or month one. its possible it could be a much better game but I heard there was issues with the P2 AI if you were unlucky enough to not have a co-op partner. The RPG aspects were kinda janky and there was some kind of bloodthristy Micro-transaction economy.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

JayBarker wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:52 pm For review? Nice.

That being said you enjoyed Youngblood? I've heard nothing but bad from that game. Of course this was from like, week one or month one. its possible it could be a much better game but I heard there was issues with the P2 AI if you were unlucky enough to not have a co-op partner. The RPG aspects were kinda janky and there was some kind of bloodthristy Micro-transaction economy.
Yep, when the Cove Radio was active, I reviewed both titles.

And yes I enjoyed Youngblood. I didn't have any issues with the AI partner when I played it (even now she's OK) and I was able to unlock pretty much everything in-game without using the micro transactions as you can find in-game currency easily. The RPG aspects were fine as well (not as involved as other games but I was OK with that).
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Well, considering its on gamepass for a bit, Maybe I'll give it a go. No harm no foul. Only thing that can happen is time wasted.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Though you should know time is never wasted if you try something you want to do.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Then I'll call it buyers remorse for doing something I wanted to do and not liking it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

DDeer wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:00 pm Thanks, I'll get there, just very rusty, you asked have I modded it, no, just running the standard version till I get the hang though the anthro mod looks fun, not sure how easy it would be on the ps3 mind. Playing as a Khajiit rather predictably.

On another note eternal sonata turned up today so looking forward to trying that out.
Ah man that game was neat. In a lot of ways it was very "generic JRPG" and it didn't really explore its musical themes as well as it could have, but it was very pretty and I enjoyed it!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Sleet wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:53 am
DDeer wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:00 pm Thanks, I'll get there, just very rusty, you asked have I modded it, no, just running the standard version till I get the hang though the anthro mod looks fun, not sure how easy it would be on the ps3 mind. Playing as a Khajiit rather predictably.

Ah man that game was neat. In a lot of ways it was very "generic JRPG" and it didn't really explore its musical themes as well as it could have, but it was very pretty and I enjoyed it!
Yeah, really enjoying getting into a good old adventure type game, I missed out most of the ps2 and ps3 releases when youger, I know its old hat but the sheer size and detail of the world impresses me mightily, yes the ai is pretty basic at tines but it is definately a game with character. Currently battling huge spiders in a barrow :) . Also found out the hard way that jumping off buildings in full armour is not good for you. Not sure I'm playing it "right" tried to sneak up on a keep full of bandits but ended up blowing it, running past them all to the top, wedging myself in a corner and then killing them one at a time, not the advised strategy I'm sure but it worked.

On anothet note really getting into eternal sonata, noy everyones cup of tea I would imagine (quite slow, lots of cutscenes) but I like the style of the game and the battles are basic but fun with a novel quasi turn based system and attacks that change depending if you are standing in the dartk or light.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

So you're still going your way through skyrim? Or did I miss something? Either way, I can understand getting lost ing worlds and having lots of fun. Even on older games.
MarkSabier89

Post by MarkSabier89 »

DDeer wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:55 am Started Eternal Sonata, enjoying it so far, chose to go for Japanese speach with English subtitles, seems to suit it better than the English voices, graphics look pretty nice for an old game and I'm liking the story feel to it, I like how it uses the music of Chopin in it, very atmospheric.
Played this years back, bought it and played a couple years back again but now that I'm going for my music major in college and dove deeper into the classical world and come to recognize Chopin, I feel I need to go back and play this game again. I love Chopin's music, it is really beautiful, he is one of my favorite composers and pianist.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

He's my favorite composer, so I really liked seeing him being featured! Even if he's not remotely the bishounen he's rendered as. :P I also wish the soundtrack was like steeped in his music, which it wasn't. The final battle music featuring Etude Op. 10 No. 12 was chilling, though. Loved that touch.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Got done playing the 2006 PREY game and, have to say? I'm in a weird area with it; The first half is fun but after a while it really just becomes a boring shooter. Truth be told, I enjoy the reboot of Prey from Arkane Studios more than the 2006 original, even though the Native American aspect to it is cool and I think the weapons are a bit more creative looking (Not as fun to use though).