Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JayBarker

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by JayBarker »

I've never really played any of the prey games outside of the newest one. Do they follow a similar theme? or are they all individually unique.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

JayBarker wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:09 pm I've never really played any of the prey games outside of the newest one. Do they follow a similar theme? or are they all individually unique.
Both Prey and Prey are different in everyway: Prey 2006 is a 3D Realms FPS while the newest PREY is more akin to System Shock and Bioshock.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

There's only the two Preys -- and about the only thing they share with each other is the name.
That being said I think they're both really good games.
The 2006 game is a little bit harder to get ahold of, and I thought the story was brought down a little bit by one particular V/O, but the game was designed well enough that I felt that didn't really matter.
Plus it's on idTech 4. I've never stopped loving the look of that engine ;)

The 2017 game is its own thing with its own story, style, and no real indication that it's even meant to be in the same universe. It's less of a straight-up first person shooter (though it's still got plenty of that) and much more focus on inventory and RPG mechanics, kinda like Deus Ex. It's got some really interesting monsters and throws some really neat twists and turns into its story which you probably won't be expecting. It's the only immersive sim (I count Bioshock 1 and 2 as straight FPS) that I've ever actually finished, so that pretty much says it all :)

2017's wasn't even really a reboot, just a new IP that Bethesda decided to slap a name they weren't using onto.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Vertigo Fox wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:59 pm There's only the two Preys -- and about the only thing they share with each other is the name.
That being said I think they're both really good games.
The 2006 game is a little bit harder to get ahold of, and I thought the story was brought down a little bit by one particular V/O, but the game was designed well enough that I felt that didn't really matter.
Plus it's on idTech 4. I've never stopped loving the look of that engine ;)

The 2017 game is its own thing with its own story, style, and no real indication that it's even meant to be in the same universe. It's less of a straight-up first person shooter (though it's still got plenty of that) and much more focus on inventory and RPG mechanics, kinda like Deus Ex. It's got some really interesting monsters and throws some really neat twists and turns into its story which you probably won't be expecting. It's the only immersive sim (I count Bioshock 1 and 2 as straight FPS) that I've ever actually finished, so that pretty much says it all :)

2017's wasn't even really a reboot, just a new IP that Bethesda decided to slap a name they weren't using onto.
Yeah, idTech4 is a nice engine and I do agree that Prey 2006 utilized it well. But I always thought it had a good beginning but lost steam very quickly. Prey 2017, on the other paw, was one that I just enjoyed more than Prey '06.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

hmm, maybe I'm confusing prey with alone in the dark. I HAVE played the most recent one. its an interesting idea but it lost my attention after a few hours. Not enough happening in my personal opinion. Maybe I'll go back and play the '06 prey. maybe I'll like it more if its more shooter ish.

If we're talking about interesting games from that area I absolutely love Alan wake and some if its subsequent games.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Alan Wake was amazing.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I've been getting into Control because it picks up on the Alan wake mythology, specifically the DLC to that game. and I'm fighting with myself if I want to buy it just to get more alan.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

I tried Control and really couldn't get into it. Alan Wake I enjoyed though it was one I don't see myself returning to any time soon.

If you want a really under-rated title from that era of gaming, look up the racing game Split/Second. It's essentially what happens if the Fast & Furious movies were directed by Michael Bay but were treated as a on-going television series...and it is FUN!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

MarkSabier89 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:29 pm
DDeer wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:55 am Started Eternal Sonata, enjoying it so far, chose to go for Japanese speach with English subtitles, seems to suit it better than the English voices, graphics look pretty nice for an old game and I'm liking the story feel to it, I like how it uses the music of Chopin in it, very atmospheric.
Played this years back, bought it and played a couple years back again but now that I'm going for my music major in college and dove deeper into the classical world and come to recognize Chopin, I feel I need to go back and play this game again. I love Chopin's music, it is really beautiful, he is one of my favorite composers and pianist.
Really enjoying this, got further last night, I like the way they jump back to what happened to the real Chopin in the cutscenes (a bit clunky at times but it works somehow) and yeah, I'd love it if they had put more of his music in Sleet.

Just to avoid confusing everyone I am indeed playing Skyrim and Eternal Sonata at the same time (I tend to alternate round a few) I am also midway through Final Fantasy X and Star Ocean (I'm terrible I know).

Daunted
Disproportionately Dappled
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I'll look into it, but probably not play it. Driving and racing aren't exactly my thing outside of a platformer/ mirrors edge kinda thing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I didn't think I would like racing games either until I played Diddy Kong Racing for the first time.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Diddy Kong racing is probably one of the 3 racing games I like.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

My favorites, other than Split/Second, are: Diddy Kong Racing, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, Forza Motorsport series (I despise the Forza Horizon games), Mario Kart series, and Hydro Thunder Hurricane.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I have a nostaligic sport for need for speed, but I don't want to play it again in case I might not like it any more. I also remember hydro thunder, but I've only ever played it in arcades so I never got too much experience with it. I remember it being fun though. Like a water based F zero.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Basically :lol: Need to find some time to play it again. Speaking of F-Zero, that's one title I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't done anything with in years. Last game was on the Game Boy Advance (that tie-in with the anime) and one would've thought they'd make a new one for the Switch.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

My main driving/racing games for years now have been Trackmania and Wipeout. A few years ago I got into another one with some neat mechanics called GRIP... seems to be based on an old PSX or PS2 series called Rollcage, but I never played those back in the day. So safe to say it stands well on its own :)
And it's probably safe to say I'm not one for "realistic" driving sims :D

Haven't played any of them for a few months now though.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I think the sensible reason for not another F-0 is because that would be a conflict if interest between them and the MAriokart crowd. it would be silly to not think there would be over lap and what with the Mobile app that's basically a mario kart gatcha, people would probably leave that for a fully fledged F-0 game. At least that's what I would assume, so the're probably giving it more time then they need to breath. remember their timeline seems to be like, every 10 years planned.

I've also heard of Grip. never played it, but I've heard of it. I DID just pre-order guilty Gear strive so I could take place in the beta, I'm imagining big things from it.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Anyone a fan of Valkyria Chronicles, really like this game, Cross between battle sim and turn based rpg.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I've never even heard of that. How is it?
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:37 pm I've never even heard of that. How is it?
Pretty good in my opinion, I've got the first one for PS3 (number 4 is out for the PS4 apparently). It's set in a fictional war in a region that feels like a small European country. You command a group of around 10 to 30 soldiers on varying missions. I really like the way they have managed to combine turn based strategy with some real time elements. You have so many command points and each command point can be used to move your people around in the 3d environment. Each member of your platoon has unique skills and experience and there is a fair amount of back story in between each battle. Makes you care more about each team member. The graphics are superb, they are rendered in a way to make them look hand drawn.

A really neat game, I can imagine if you bought it expecting it to be more of a first person shooter like Halo or a game like command and conquer you might be a little confused but I think it's very clever in it's own way, merges a few different genres well with its own take on things.

Daunted
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Games that manage to fuse genres are always interesting. Maybe I'll at least look at some game play of that to see what its like, not that I have easy access to ps3 games. I put mine up somewhere and have no idea where it is.

also, has anyone played Ghostrunner? that game is catching my interest.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

JayBarker wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:45 pm Games that manage to fuse genres are always interesting. Maybe I'll at least look at some game play of that to see what its like, not that I have easy access to ps3 games. I put mine up somewhere and have no idea where it is.

also, has anyone played Ghostrunner? that game is catching my interest.
I heard of it but haven't played it myself as it didn't look that appealing to me.

Xbox's having a sale this week and YAY Dead Rising 4 is on sale! Played it when it was on Game Pass and, surprisingly, I really enjoyed it! I see why some aren't a fan of it but...I dunno I thought it was an excellent entry. Haven't had fun playing a Dead Rising game since Dead Rising 2: Off The Record (First game's good though it shows it's age, Dead Rising 2...never played it as I'm just not a Chuck fan, and Dead Rising 3 had potential but the time-mechanic still irked me).
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Not me, reminds me of syndicate wars, hopefully less buggy than cyberpunk?
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I have no idea what Syndicate wars is, but if its a mix of Mirrors edge, Hotline miami, and Cyber punk then I guess its like ghost runner. Its like if doom decided to be a melee focused game with the movement and combat mechanics. I just enjoy fast and frantic movement in games.

I have not tried Dead rising 4, but I'm aware it had a whole lot of problems and an awful timeline in development. Though, with the years its been out it could have updated to the point that its a pretty decent game.

Secondly isn't off the record just dead rising two but with Frank instead of Chuck? Or am I thinking of a different one? either way I get what you're saying. chuck green definitely isn't Frank West. No contest.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

JayBarker wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:34 pm I have no idea what Syndicate wars is, but if its a mix of Mirrors edge, Hotline miami, and Cyber punk then I guess its like ghost runner. Its like if doom decided to be a melee focused game with the movement and combat mechanics. I just enjoy fast and frantic movement in games.

I have not tried Dead rising 4, but I'm aware it had a whole lot of problems and an awful timeline in development. Though, with the years its been out it could have updated to the point that its a pretty decent game.

Secondly isn't off the record just dead rising two but with Frank instead of Chuck? Or am I thinking of a different one? either way I get what you're saying. chuck green definitely isn't Frank West. No contest.
Yep, Off The Record is basically Dead Rising 2 but with Frank, which honestly makes the game a bit more fun. I didn't mind Nick in Dead Rising 3 but you can't replace Frank.

I know the whole issues behind Dead Rising 4 and seen the videos but, truth be told? I still enjoyed it. The removal of the time-limit actually improved the game for me as sometimes? I just want to log in and go all Kenshiro on the zombies without having to worry about being in an area at a specific time.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

While I do get the timeless mode in the general game would be a lot more fun. I also understand the whole "it doesn't feel like dead rising without it" Its like how people felt with re:7 in the beginning but luckily people started to love it. I think that could have happened with DR4 if they had more time and less behind the curtain shenanigans.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Getting into Eternal Sonata, interesting mechanic where you can take photos to earn money in the battles, makes you choose between attacking and snapping. Can also block enemy attacks if you time things juuuust right.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

So the Nintendo Direct last night announced "Project Triangle Strategy", and it looked interesting (I've played some Strategy games before) and I saw that it had 16-bit character sprites, so I got the demo, and I'm not that far (only a bit into the second available chapter), but here are my first impressions:

+16 points for 16-bit characters
+5 points for not being ultra gimmicky.
+4 points for competent voice acting
-5 points to the demo for being in the middle of the game and ruining the... emotion of a certain scene because it's too early on in the demo.
+5 points for having a character riding a giant bird
-3 points for walking being too slow when I'm migrating everyone over to where the only enemies left even are.
+5 points for seemingly lacking filler characters (so far)

So, this adds up to 27 points out of... i dont know but let's say out of thirty because it's neat. In conclusion, wait until there is a demo of the first few chapters, but I will recommend.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

furrygamer793 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:17 pm So the Nintendo Direct last night announced "Project Triangle Strategy", and it looked interesting (I've played some Strategy games before) and I saw that it had 16-bit character sprites, so I got the demo, and I'm not that far (only a bit into the second available chapter), but here are my first impressions:

-5 points to the demo for being in the middle of the game and ruining the... emotion of a certain scene because it's too early on in the demo.
-3 points for walking being too slow when I'm migrating everyone over to where the only enemies left even are.

So, this adds up to 27 points out of... i dont know but let's say out of thirty because it's neat. In conclusion, wait until there is a demo of the first few chapters, but I will recommend.
I dunno...as someone who's been a fan of Nintendo since the NES, I thought the Direct was disappointing.

- No news on Zelda's anniversary (other then a port of Skyward Sword; a game I feel is the second worst Zelda title)
- Ports of other games that are already on other hardware (like Stubbs The Zombie and the Ninja Gaiden collection)
- A character for Smash I don't think anyone was asking for (Pretty sure more are asking for Heavy from TF2 and DoomSlayer then another Japanese Sword Slinger)
- Splatoon 3, which looks the same as S1 and S2
- Yeah...all that wait for disappointment....
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

furrygamer793 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:17 pm So the Nintendo Direct last night announced "Project Triangle Strategy", and it looked interesting (I've played some Strategy games before) and I saw that it had 16-bit character sprites, so I got the demo, and I'm not that far (only a bit into the second available chapter), but here are my first impressions:

Sounds interesting, only got a Wii mind on the Nintendo side.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Ack, I should post here more often xP I've been super busy with the new semester. It's going well but I make sure to take a brain break every now and then. Elite Dangerous is my long-time go-to decompressor and it seems my dedication's paid off -- I just earned "Triple Elite"! The "triple" refers to the three major ranks in the game, Trade, Exploration, and Combat. I reached Trade and Exploration Elite years ago but Combat rank is much slower to progress. Getting all three Elite ranks is considered the game's highest achievement. It's taken me since 2016 to get to this point.

I don't really care for gaming achievements but this game's brought me so much joy and I've made so many friends, so this is really meaningful for me. <3

DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:43 pm Ack, I should post here more often xP I've been super busy with the new semester. It's going well but I make sure to take a brain break every now and then. Elite Dangerous is my long-time go-to decompressor and it seems my dedication's paid off -- I just earned "Triple Elite"! The "triple" refers to the three major ranks in the game, Trade, Exploration, and Combat. I reached Trade and Exploration Elite years ago but Combat rank is much slower to progress. Getting all three Elite ranks is considered the game's highest achievement. It's taken me since 2016 to get to this point.

I don't really care for gaming achievements but this game's brought me so much joy and I've made so many friends, so this is really meaningful for me. <3

Showing my age here but I had the original elite for the BBC b micro and also the Acorn Archimedes, a great game! The graphics on the new version are a world away, well done on the rankings, if it's anything like the original that takes some dedication. How do you rate elite dangerous, I remember hearing mixed things when it came out.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

I haven't played Elite Dangerous since I bought it but from what I remember? It's pretty fun and it reminds me of Euro Truck Sim 2 (only without my in-game radio playing ZZ Top hehe).
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Sorry to just drop in out of subject, but the Guilty Gear Strive Beta dropped and for the last few days I've been in LOVE with this game. Everything about it from the aesthetics to the animations to the fact that my main has a doggo around her all the time and has paw print shoes. I just wanna sing its praises for a bit and if anyone has a playstation I recommend trying it while you can, even if its just with bots if you've ever been interested in what the heck is goin on with guilty gear. This is the most accessible entry ever.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:19 pm Sorry to just drop in out of subject, but the Guilty Gear Strive Beta dropped and for the last few days I've been in LOVE with this game. Everything about it from the aesthetics to the animations to the fact that my main has a doggo around her all the time and has paw print shoes. I just wanna sing its praises for a bit and if anyone has a playstation I recommend trying it while you can, even if its just with bots if you've ever been interested in what the heck is goin on with guilty gear. This is the most accessible entry ever.
Now that looks impressive, my mind boggles at the whole 2d/3d animation effects.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Arksys, the people that made it, have been mastering the anime asthetic in the last few years with their games. They're the same people who made the Dragonball Fighterz game a few years back, but I think its clear they put the most work into their own original works.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

I just been playing Destiny 2 again...MAN they changed since I last played (Shadowkeep, which I had gotten for review)! Had to relearn everything (they just HAD to make decrypting engrams a pain in the tush) and get a handle on the controls again but man I forgot how fun the game is.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So I am guessing that you were able to figure it all out then and finally enjoy the game?
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Yep! Finished the main quest of the newest expansion last night so now I'm just playing catch-up and seeing what else I have to do before I do World Events and such.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I've tried several times to get into destiny 2. I just cant, I think its the PVE. Never been my thing. i like the PVE but you need to do the PVE to make the PVP more fun. But from what I've seen there's a lot of content in this new one and its less grindy than the first one, at least from what I remember. So it's got that goin on.