Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

D-Rock

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by D-Rock »

It'd mean I'd finally get to play it, at least. Makes sense, considering Joker is coming to Smash, and Persona Q2 is still a couple months away.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

Despite what some people think, I don't think the female from the P5R trailer will appear in Smash. If April 24th is actually a surprise release date it might be possible, but I believe it was said that P5R is going to be the project that Atlus works on after PQ2.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Zesortinge wrote:Despite what some people think, I don't think the female from the P5R trailer will appear in Smash. If April 24th is actually a surprise release date it might be possible, but I believe it was said that P5R is going to be the project that Atlus works on after PQ2.
Supposedly the same leaked files that refer to Joker as “Jack” also referred to a “Jane” so it is possible.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so you know how people will upload videos to youtube with a work's complete soundtrack as one continuous video?

How badly do you think you tube would break if someone did that with smash bros ultimate's soundtrack? it's 26 hours long... (i don't mean the playback breaking, i mean the uploader. I've heard that it struggles with 10-hour mixes...)
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that anybody that tried to do that would end up destroying YouTube and getting banned from what remains of the site. :lol:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

The Smash 3.0 update. Does anyone care or excited about it?

I personally don’t really care. I bought the pass and will play but again fighting games are not my thing. I’m not good at them. I’m frustrated by the overwhelming popularity of it and even the tiniest bit of news dominates Twitter. I wish there was this kind of enthusiasm for racing games. The only interest I see is for Sonic Team racing but only for the sonic part not the racing part. I hope whenever MARIO Kart 9 (or whatever they call it) comes out people will be just as enthusiastic as Ultimate but I know they won’t because Smash Bros has this almost inflated value due to those videos and character crossover.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think one of the reasons it has gotten so popular is because they are able to use third party characters from other games once they get permission and that excites people. Me? I ended up growing out of video games after Brawl came out so I really don't care either which way. I will say I am trying to get that interest back. I watch Super Mario 64 hacks all the time on YouTube.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I love it. I can have Kirby hold a gun now. It’s so wonderfully surreal.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I love the smash stuff, but I’m just documenting it here, this download is awful. What a time for Nintendo to decide doing a maintenance check that takes the eshop down when you need it to download Joker
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

People love crossovers. Smash is still the biggest on getting so many different worlds together for a game. Heck, I usually love crossovers in other games; Link, Darth Vader, Yoda, and Starkiller in Soul Calibur, Akuma in Tekken (hadn't even heard of Gon until Tekken, so I can't consider that one personally), Ryu and the Justice League in Power Rangers, I wanted to get Dead or Alive 4 to be able to play as a Spartan, even if it wasn't Master Chief, the Capcom Vs. series is usually a lot of fun.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Too bad Nintendo can’t come out with a different style of crossover game. Like a action adventure platformer featuring different characters. Something like World of Light only with an actual plot and world where you have to do all kinds of odd things. Brawl’s story mode was really good.

Nintendo has done minor crossovers in the past like Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Mario and Rabbids. It would be nice to have a game where the characters did Something beyond beating each other up. But I guess with such a huge roster it would be hard to create a game that could formally utilize there abilities. But you could make a RPG where you form a party that fights monsters. There are options.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Link and Samus almost made it into the Wii version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance. It would be interesting if something like that were done, but with all game characters.

And I agree, Subspace was great.

Fighting game crossovers are probably the easiest to make. Just make sure as much works as possible, and there you go.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

crossing over different spinoffs of the same series doesn't run into the mechanical comparability or logistical problems of a true crossover though, nor does it reap any of the benefits of one, as there's no 2nd series, and by extension no second fanbase to tap.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Well I wasted $20 and who knows how many hours of my life on Cuphead just to realize I can never win. They made it so unholy difficult that there is no chance of finishing it. And why should I bother torturing myself mentally and emotionally on a game that is not even fun.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Sounds like me and Sine Mora EX. Only paid $3 for it and..well it's not hard but it has a mechanic where instead of a health bar, you have a clock counting down and yeah, every hit you take removes time and the screen is so full of projectiles...gah! At least I got Overwatch (Then again...was Uprising supposed to be nigh-impossible?!)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

fenrirblack wrote:Well I wasted $20 and who knows how many hours of my life on Cuphead just to realize I can never win. They made it so unholy difficult that there is no chance of finishing it. And why should I bother torturing myself mentally and emotionally on a game that is not even fun.
Some people like that! Plus you can still have fun with a game you don't finish. Back in the day they'd make games without the expectation for everyone finishing them. It's a hold-over from arcade games where you're expected to go as far as you can.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Except these days I think people want endings with good payoffs. Times have changed!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The way I see it, technology has just allowed narrative-heavy games, but not all games need to be that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

What are people’s thoughts about games that rely on gimmicks or art style to set them apart from other games that rely on narrative? There are plenty of games that seem to be popular solely for either their beauty and/or uniqueness. Examples: Fe, The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus, Cuphead, Trine, Degrees of Seperation, and Unravel.
Does Hollow Knight have an actual plot? I’ve never played it because it’s one of those games which people love but agree it is brutally hard. Like Celeste. I hate games like that and the worst one is Swords of Ditto.
I mean gimmicks and beauty are wonderful things. I loved Shadow of the Colossus for its style and gameplay but at the same time, I wish there was a actual narrative beyond what was there. The ending was so weird and made me question why I did any of at all. But some games like Fe I don’t play because it’s too reliant on its art style and mechanics without any real substance.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

story, to me, only matters if the player has enough agency to change the outcome.
otherwise what's the point in including it? games are inherently interactive. use that, don't waste it.

cohesive unique asthetics can allow a game to look polished and stand out, without needing to be pushing the boundaries of photorealism, or rendering hardware, making 'b list' and 'indie' budgets doable. and unique is more memorable than 'real' which is good for marketing.

fixating on a unique mechanic and building the entire game around it, likewise adds a sense of 'this is special' when weighed against the endless seas of annual sequels and bandwagon hoppers. especially if you're in a crowded genre.

also you shouldn't compare hollow knight and cuphead as if they're on the same level.
hollow knight is hard, Cuphead is punishing.

when you loose in a hard game, it's more often than not because you made a mistake, and you can frequently see what you need to work on. it's still winable, and you're expected to learn and overcome. the most well known example of this design philosophy is the souls games, though they take it further than most.

when you loose in a punishing game, frequently you did nothing wrong and it's because the game is nearly or completely unwindable by design. the deck is stacked and the ai is often "cheating" or being "cheap", causing it to feel cruel and unfair to some players as a result. nearly the entire 'arcade' genre runs on this logic due to said genres namesake and origin.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think if the game makes people feel things, then that's what matters. Even if it's not much of a "game," it still succeeds at something.

That said, a lot of the popular "artsy games" still have good gameplay. I'm pretty partial to Braid, myself.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

It's funny but I never really cared much for "artsy games" with probably the only one I ever enjoyed being Anti-Chamber (I swear no one remembers this title)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

SeanWolf wrote:(I swear no one remembers this title)
speak for yourself, i still haven't figured out how to get inside the weird materializing column.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Guess what I just got from Amazon?
EFFFD62F-14CD-4113-B9AB-32CCC0BB2535.jpeg
EFFFD62F-14CD-4113-B9AB-32CCC0BB2535.jpeg (183.46 KiB) Viewed 14305 times

JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

I've been playing Lemmings recently. And boy am I hooked. I have classes on one side, and a tale on the other. I hope I can make it out okay.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If you can't, then where should we send the help?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

With the Pokemon news conference tomorrow I watched the Gamexplain video about possible announcements. One thing that I would like to see would be another Mystery Dungeon game since Super Mystery dungeon was released back in 2015. We are long overdue for another installment. One possibility that was tossed out would be that it will be released on Mobile which sickens me. It is highly possible but horrid to think about. Rumble Rush was just released on mobile so it is possible that more spin offs will take that route. At its core Mystery Dungeon is still basic as far as gameplay and mechanics so mobile would be extremely likely especially with the ability to continually add dungeons to the game through updates and DLC.

One thing that they discussed though that got me thinking was the Coliseum and XD games and Pokken. What if there as a game that combined all these different traits including mystery dungeon. A Zelda-esk adventure game starring just Pokemon. A real story mode and large overworked that had the combat system found in Pokken where you fight and use moves in real time without it being a turn based RPG. It would be similar to Mystery Dungeon but more open and with more options for story and combat. The problem with the mystery dungeon games is that it takes place in the dungeons but there is no real exploration or anything interesting to see outside of cutscenes.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Why does the fact that it might be released on Mobile sicken you? Have an old flip phone (like me XD)?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I’m old school like that. It ruins the purity of PMD. Besides I really don’t like mobile controls. The constant sliding your finger and limitations of using just the screen. Look at Mario Kart Tour. They say it’s fine but there are so many drawbacks that simply would never exist on a regular game. What if they put pay to play elements in PMD? Like you have to wait hours on in just to explore a new dungeon or weird stuff like that.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah that is true and I could see why you wouldn't like it.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

oddly enough, the monetization angle is one of the reasons i actually like pocket camp more than most AC games.
yes, everything's on a timer, but everything was ALREADY on a timer in that series, and it's not a blanket "wait till tomorrow" anymore.

changing to accommodate the monetization scheme actually made the timers all shorter instead of longer for a change :lol: .
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

So In the end the Pokemon news thingy amounted to Pokemon Master Go Home & Sleep. I’ll do that then.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

There's still the direct they are doing next week for both Sword and Shield.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Looks like they just wanted to get the less exciting stuff out of the way!
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Honestly, I haven't been much excited for Pokemon as of late (I honestly prefer R/B/Y as they were just simple games with simple stories)...same time I've been keeping busy with whatever game I'm reviewing along with World War Z (Surprisingly really fun) and Rage 2 (Vehicle controls and the menu needs a major overhaul).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was fine with Pokemon up until the Mega Evolutions became a thing because it just feels like Digimon now with that.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

If they do something with armor for Gen 8 then it would make it even more like Digimon. PokeArmor Energize! :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And if they keep going up, the next gen will have modifying cards and the next gen will have human becoming Pokemon at will and I'm not sure about what would happen next since I only watched up to the 4th season of Digimon (because I always assumed there were only 4 seasons). :)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Let me explain what happened after Frontier. Season 5 was Data Squad which the characters essentially were police and there wasn’t anything special other then after the mega stage they went into Burst mode. After that we had Fusion which was divided into 3 parts but only the first two were aired stateside. As the name suggests the Digimon fused instead of digivolving. People have been talking about Pokémon fusions for years and I think it is safe to assume that will never happen. Anyway then came Digimon Adventure Tri which was less of a season and more a collection of I think six parts of four episodes each. That revolves around the original cast from Season 1 essentially picking up after season 2 ended as long as you ignore the finale of Season 2 where they did the time skip.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

fenrirblack wrote:People have been talking about Pokémon fusions for years and I think it is safe to assume that will never happen.
it kind of can't at this point. the roster is too big, should it come to be they'd either need to do an absurd amount of work designing fusions for every possible pair, or limit what is and isn't a valid pair down in some way which risks angering every fan who's desired combo isn't represented.

they'd be better off combining the Pokemon breeding systems with the regional variant and shiny concepts, to make different breeds of the same Pokemon that are player producible. creating 2-3 palette swaps, a few texture swaps, and a couple minor model edits each for 807 Pokemon, that can be shuffled procedurally to produce two to three dozen variants of each, would be WAY less work than 650000+ brand new hybrid Pokemon, or the arduous selection process of narrowing hundreds of thousands down to a few hundred.
and the 'everything is samey' problem with procedural generation wouldn't be as big of an issue because different breeds of the same species SHOULD be largely similar to eachother.