Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Blue Braixen »

Dubiousity wrote:
Sleet wrote:Well they've got a lot of it, so they must be doing something right.
Bill Gates man, Bill freakin Gates.
They just know how to sell to America. That's where (what's left of) their fanbase is, and Gates realizes this. He knows what gimmicks to toss out to us market the newest Microsoft product.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Personally I like doing my computing inside and I like being able to let my dogs outside without them running away.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
zeroslash

Post by zeroslash »

In my opinion, I don't think it matters what operating system you use. I'm both a PC user and a Mac user. :/

As for the Xbox conversation, I don't think Microsoft can do much to get sales in Japan to increase. The Japanese already have the Nintendo Wii and the PlayStation 3. The 360 is pretty much the same as the PS3 (besides the fact of its hardware failures).
Sinder wrote:So then Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Well, the new model 360's pretty much fixed the hardware issues.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
zeroslash

Post by zeroslash »

Dubiousity wrote:Well, the new model 360's pretty much fixed the hardware issues.
That's true, which is why I want/need one.
Sinder wrote:So then Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Well, I don't know how I missed this topic, buuut, now that I have seen it.

On the subject of the PlayStation 3, and the Xbox, is well, the Xbox is easier to program for, thus gets more of the developers games.
The PS3 is much much much harder to program for, at one point Sony even said this outright themselves. which is why you don't see as many games for it. I personally think the Xbox 360 is slightly better than the PS3 is merely because it has more Video games, and has a wider selection. But the PS3 does have better Hardware, so when developers do finally get their brains around the PS3, I think the tables will turn.

and on the subject of Mac v.s. PC....

I think PC is better in this situation because we're talking about Video games, but depending on the situation is where the Mac and PC shines. And really whatever OP you use should just fit your lifestyle/needs. While yes, Valve has made the jump between Mac and PC with their games, and Mac will eventually get more games (maybe). this doesn't mean Mac has a majority of the games. or, all of the good ones. there are a plethora of amazing games on the PC, while Mac gets just Valve.

what what? Jolly good time.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

*wishes the 360 had Blu-Ray*
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't. Otherwise I would have been forced to buy a Blu-Ray player in order to play my Xbox 360 games.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:I don't. Otherwise I would have been forced to buy a Blu-Ray player in order to play my Xbox 360 games.
I meant like, built-in to the console.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I know. That Blu-Ray player costs money to put there, which means I would be charged for it. I would be paying extra money on top of the Xbox 360's normal price in order to get a Blu-Ray player in addition to the Xbox 360's normal function, hence everyone would be forced to buy a Blu-Ray player if they want to play Xbox 360 games.
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

Just like the PS3. The big reason why that console is so expensive is because of the Blu-Ray player.

I finally saw a movie where I could tell it was blu-ray. My mother was watching How to Train Your Dragon, and I walked by and noticed that it looked amazing. And I asked and was like "is this blu-ray?" and she said yes it was. We've had a blu-ray player for a long time, and we get movies on blu-ray every now and then, but I never noticed a real difference until then.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah. That's why I tend to hate multifunctional devices. I buy video game consoles to play video games. Chances are when it comes to their other functions, I either already have something that can do it or I don't want one.

You sure it wasn't just because How to Train Your Dragon is a gorgeous movie?
Senator_Sunburst

Yes, because I saw it in theatres and it wasn't this good looking.

Also, the whole blu-ray thing was just Sony trying to replicate their PS2 success...again.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It worked as far as I'm concerned. Aside from stalwart fans, Sony was dealt a losing hand this time. Without the Blu-Ray addon, the PS3 probably wouldn't have made it, and without the PS3 HD-DVD very easily might have won.
Senator_Sunburst

In what way was sony dealt a losing hand?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well, they dealt themselves a losing hand, really. But even if it was their fault, it was an uphill battle.

It was a combination of the addition of Microsoft as a new competitor they didn't plan on in the PS2 strategy, the still-high cost of making PS3s even without Blu-Ray (with its fancy processor and other hardware), and some very poor PR and marketing moves. Then there was the Xbox 360's head start and the fact that the Wii became a runaway success. The only other thing Sony had going for them was people loyal to the Playstation brand. Blu-Ray's victory helped them stay afloat long enough for titles to come out that would make people have a real reason to play a PS3.
Senator_Sunburst

What happened last generation in regards to Microsoft I don't think is important here.

But I agree with the 360 head start and the Wii being awesome, but those aren't Sony being dealt a bad hand, that's just everybody else being good and Sony sucking. I think the Blu-ray thing did more harm than good, because it substantially increased the price-tag to the point where a lot of people thought it was too expensive, even if they otherwise wanted a PS3.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It wasn't so much a reason that the PS3 wouldn't sell well as a reason that they couldn't treat the environment as the same as when the PS2 came out, since they have to compete with Nintendo and a rising star instead of Nintendo and a falling one.

Semantics, really. Whatever you call it, those factors were for the most part out of Sony's control. While it is possible, I still disagree with the idea that the Blu-Ray player hurt the PS3's sales. Sony had a pretty disastrous launch lineup, with the only real hook for fans at the time being "hey, you'll be able to play Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy eventually," and the hardware was extra expensive even without the Blu-Ray, so they just didn't provide a very good cost-to-benefit ratio at the time. The Blu-Ray player was what set it apart from the rest and gave it the jump start it needed.

Whether the PS3 did better or worse because of it isn't important from Sony's perspective, though. What matters to them is that Blu-Ray is now dominant over HD-DVD, which the PS3 definitely helped.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

With the Blu-Ray on the PS3 it's not so much the games looking better as it is the discs having much more space in which to store content, which is why you're seeing a lot of Ps3 exclusive content on Multiplatform games.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was more referring to its ability to play Blu-Ray movies. The gaming benefit of Blu-Ray is pretty small relative to that.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:I was more referring to its ability to play Blu-Ray movies. The gaming benefit of Blu-Ray is pretty small relative to that.
'Relative to that', it can and most likely at one point will make a difference at how companies approach gaming, and Blu-Ray will eventually be favored as it allows more work room and space for, as I said before, content.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well of course Blu-Ray will be favored to the more primitive DVD. Eventually. As for right now, the benefit it gives to games is not enough to make someone want to buy a PS3 who didn't already want one, hence its main purpose was to let the PS3 play movies.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

It's funny, I have the song Paradise City stuck in my head and it's making me want to play Burnout Paradise but I don't have it anymore.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Dubiousity wrote:It's funny, I have the song Paradise City stuck in my head and it's making me want to play Burnout Paradise but I don't have it anymore.
I hate it when you want to play a game but you've already sold/returned it. >.<
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Tha Housedog wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:It's funny, I have the song Paradise City stuck in my head and it's making me want to play Burnout Paradise but I don't have it anymore.
I hate it when you want to play a game but you've already sold/returned it. >.<
Exactly my point.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I can't get myself to sell my games, especially considering how low their resell value is, so I don't have that problem.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:I can't get myself to sell my games, especially considering how low their resell value is, so I don't have that problem.
Well, that's the only way I can get new games...
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

Yo everyone. I'm trying to get codes for the Mtn Dew "Honor The Code" event for Halo Reach. And I'm trying to get the codes, but I no longer drink Mtn Dew since the incident… So if you guys buy a bottle of Mtn Dew or Doritos bag and it says Halo Reach on it with one of the characters from Noble team could you please save the code and send me a private message with the code please? I would very much appreciate it.
"Living is Hard Dying is Easy"

"The longer you stare into the abyss, the hard it is to find a reasons to turn back."
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

What exactly is the code used for?
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

Dubiousity wrote:What exactly is the code used for?
The codes are underneath Mtn Dew soda BOTTLES and in Doritos bags, that say Halo Reach on them. So as long as you see Mtn Dew bottles that have a picture of a Noble Team Spartan on them and say Halo Reach, then there will be a code under the cap.

"The longer you stare into the abyss, the hard it is to find a reasons to turn back."
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I know where they are, I don't know what you're supposed to do with them.
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

Dubiousity wrote:I know where they are, I don't know what you're supposed to do with them.
Oh...you go to http://www.honorthecode.com/#/home

And then you register and go from there. If you have questions they have answers.

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Oooo, prizes!
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

Dubiousity wrote:Oooo, prizes!
Yes I know. But they are a challenge to get and you need to put the codes in as often as possible, I'm probably going to do Lone Wolf and go for the Hoodie.

Senator_Sunburst

I've been playing a bit of Fallout: New Vegas. I don't know, it's the same thing really as Fallout 3.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:I've been playing a bit of Fallout: New Vegas. I don't know, it's the same thing really as Fallout 3.
I heard before they patched it that it had all the same glitches too.
Senator_Sunburst

It had, and still has, more glitches. The amount of glitches and bugs is pretty annoying, despite, at least not for me, not making the game unplayable.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:I've been playing a bit of Fallout: New Vegas. I don't know, it's the same thing really as Fallout 3.
Yes, I heard there was little difference between the two except for the storyline and the factions (you couldn't join the Enclave in Fallout 3 even if you helped President Eden). The one thing that really annoyed me about Fallout was the fact that you can not take over and be the leader yourself (which is what I like to do in games, he he), the Pit mission in Fallout 3 was rather disappointing in my opinion because you couldn't take over as their leader.
Senator_Sunburst

Basically that's how it is. There's minor differences in for example Big Guns is no longer a skill, and Survival is, and there's some new enemies and stuff, but really it's just same old same old.