Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Nathan Kerbonaut

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

I'm trying out the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. There's a deal that lets me get it via Microsoft Game Pass for $1 for the first month. Massive 100 GB+ download tho, and I gotta clear a ton of disk space, so remind me to come back with my review later :?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:51 am I'm trying out the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. There's a deal that lets me get it via Microsoft Game Pass for $1 for the first month. Massive 100 GB+ download tho, and I gotta clear a ton of disk space, so remind me to come back with my review later :?
Still probably not as large as Red Dead Redemption 2 and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019, the later of which is close to 200gb IF you have everything installed (I only have the multiplayer and Warzone installed so, thankfully, it's under 150gb).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Nathan Kerbonaut

SeanWolf wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:01 amStill probably not as large as Red Dead Redemption 2 and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019, the later of which is close to 200gb IF you have everything installed (I only have the multiplayer and Warzone installed so, thankfully, it's under 150gb).
Yikes, I didn't know it'd gotten that bad these days :shock: Idk how devs expect us to keep up with these download sizes. Part of me worries it's part of the shift to cloud-based gaming like Stadia, which I'm not thrilled about. Games may get so big in the near future that we'll have no choice but to stream them.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:44 am
SeanWolf wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:01 amStill probably not as large as Red Dead Redemption 2 and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019, the later of which is close to 200gb IF you have everything installed (I only have the multiplayer and Warzone installed so, thankfully, it's under 150gb).
Yikes, I didn't know it'd gotten that bad these days :shock: Idk how devs expect us to keep up with these download sizes. Part of me worries it's part of the shift to cloud-based gaming like Stadia, which I'm not thrilled about. Games may get so big in the near future we have no choice but to stream them.
I mean I can sorta understand why RDR2 is so large but Call of Duty? Yeah, pushing 200gb isn't cool (even the updates are large, although that seems to be an issue on Xbox's part for some weird reason). Heck, Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4 sans any DLC is a little over 90gb.
Nathan Kerbonaut

SeanWolf wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:46 amI mean I can sorta understand why RDR2 is so large but Call of Duty? Yeah, pushing 200gb isn't cool (even the updates are large, although that seems to be an issue on Xbox's part for some weird reason). Heck, Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4 sans any DLC is a little over 90gb.
I guess optimization is a lost art :cry:
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:51 am
SeanWolf wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:46 amI mean I can sorta understand why RDR2 is so large but Call of Duty? Yeah, pushing 200gb isn't cool (even the updates are large, although that seems to be an issue on Xbox's part for some weird reason). Heck, Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4 sans any DLC is a little over 90gb.
I guess optimization is a lost art :cry:
True. Then again, Doom Eternal, for how goregous and how much content is in it, managed to pull it off by only being 45gb, so there are companies out there who understand that not everyone wants to download a 100gb+ title.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The Stadia came too soon. The internet required for it to work doesn’t exist in every place. I get laggy playing MK with our best (limited) internet, and absolutely can’t play anything else on our slower (unlimited) option.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Yeah I can see that.
Bet the developers and idea folks in places like google can get a little bit myopic about the sorts of technology that's at their disposal. Theirs is always the best out there, so they might fail to realize there are still lots of people who don't have anything close. And even in places like the states, there may be some who can't get that kind of connection, what with things like the ISP monopolies you Americans get in some areas.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:46 pm The Stadia came too soon. The internet required for it to work doesn’t exist in every place. I get laggy playing MK with our best (limited) internet, and absolutely can’t play anything else on our slower (unlimited) option.
Hasn't it been tried several times in the past by different companies, with a great deal of failure in the process? Maybe they thought the time was now.

I would agree they're probably wrong.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Anyone here playing among us? It’s only five bucks on steam and it’s pretty good for the price.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I think Among us is also free on Mobile and its cross play yeah? Granted, its a worse experience I'm told, but its at least a good demo into the game.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

OMG I came here kinda thinking to ask if anyone here was having fun with Among Us too. I got the mobile version and you can also get it free on a thing called Bluestacks that emulates mobile games on your PC, it's great if you don't mind ads after every round.

I also play Team Fortress 2 a lot. Something about that game just keeps it fun for me even when playing the same maps over and over again.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

SO MINECRAFT STEVE IS IN SMASH NOW. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=90Jve_qWnpc AND HE BROKE TWITTER.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

This Reproduction of the Atari Jaguar Pro Controller is what caught my eye for something to buy for my retro video gaming interests. Heck, this controller may be a means to play certain games that supports the likes of a Sega Saturn type controller.

Heck, I'll even buy Bliss-Box's products to use said Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers As I am planning to buy at least 4 more controllers and the Gamer-Pro kits as well the bliss-box Atari-Jaguar Connectors to connect those controllers into The Hori USB Turbo Tap that was originally intended for use with Konami's TurboGrafx-16 mini but can be indeed be used for other systems and anything that can support it.

My plans for the 4 Atari Jaguar Controllers and the assortment of equipment that I will soon buy for a sort of multiplayer get-together shindig, get as close as possible to playing "Bomberman on Atari Jaguar." Only in this case, it's every possible Bomberman running on various emulators as played with Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers.

For context, there was going to be a Bomberman game for the Atari Jaguar but was canceled when the Atari Jaguar was discontinued.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
AlexNillson88

Post by AlexNillson88 »

I am going to buy PS5. Which game console do you like more and you'll buy it? PS4, Xbox Series X, or Nintendo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Back when I played video games, I always thought of myself as more of a Nintendo girl.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

So... anyone else here play Black Ops Cold War?
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

We all know in our hearts that Lego Batman (2008) is the greatest game ever made. :ugeek:
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Finally gotten around to getting the Resident Evil 3 Remake on Xbox (On sale via the Black Friday deals) and, if all works out, I'll probably pick up the original Resident Evil remake (meaning all I have left to get is...Resident Evil Zero.....) and Ion Fury, formally known as Ion Maiden.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So, “Klassic skins” have been a thing in Mortal Kombat since Armageddon, with costumes that reflect the looks of the original games. With MK11, we then got the reoccurring antagonist, Shang Tsung, bearing a likeness to his movie actor, and if you were really lucky or preordered, you’d get a skin reminiscent of his appearance in the movie.

I bring this up, because three new Klassic Movie skins have been released, complete with voice work performed by the original movie actors!
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

I am planning on saving up a small fortune to get my hands on a Analogue NT Mini Noir System.

Though I would have to invest in a NES 72-pin to Famicom 60-pin Cartridge Adapter for the NES Carts since the system's NES slot is subsecptible to where if a nes cart happen to get struck with any number of forces while the NES cart is being used, it could cause all manner of problems.

Analogue's NT Mini Noir's pricepoint is around $500 to $800 dollars in my goal setting range, I'll then look forward to saving up for more Analogue Systems with their numerous adapters, accessories and various add-ons, Smokemonster jailbreaks and everdrive cartridges.

If you're concerned about the everdrives being discussed, Don't Panic. I will not link to any rule breaking materials, nor will I do anything stupid with these everdrives.

I will aim to save up a fortune and by christmas 2021 I will finally get a Analogue NT Mini Noir.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:14 pm So, “Klassic skins” have been a thing in Mortal Kombat since Armageddon, with costumes that reflect the looks of the original games. With MK11, we then got the reoccurring antagonist, Shang Tsung, bearing a likeness to his movie actor, and if you were really lucky or preordered, you’d get a skin reminiscent of his appearance in the movie.

I bring this up, because three new Klassic Movie skins have been released, complete with voice work performed by the original movie actors!
Man, I remember that movie. It was so dorky! Kinda fun to see it referenced though.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

New character for Smash Ultimate was revealed. Trailer here.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

And TLOU2 keeps winning awards it has no right even being nominated for. I cannot describe the feelings I have towards that game without breaking the forums rules.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then one can assume that you hate it and wish a very slow and painful curse on it? :P
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That seems to be the general consensus regarding it's story, direction, and the director. And trust me, there's a LOT that can be said against the director, none of them are light accusations.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I think the thing I hate the most about that game (of which there are a LOT of things to hate) is that there are apparently several chunks of the game that only serve to drag out it’s runtime, and I hear about that and think about all the horrible crunch the workers were under, and I get mad that they didn’t have to suffer like that. The game could’ve ended way earlier than it did, and they wouldn’t have had to work so hard on it. And to see that pointless cruelty be rewarded by having it beat out other games that, even ignoring whether or not their developers had to crunch to make them, were just plain BETTER, is infuriating.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

D-Rock wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:30 pm New character for Smash Ultimate was revealed. Trailer here.
Yaknow I actually wanna learn to play him! He looks fun!

Shame his Final Smash is gonna take like 5 minutes. :B
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Decided to give Monster Hunter World on Xbox One (It's on Gamepass) another shot and...WOW this is fun (named my palico Meat Loaf)! Next time it and the DLC is on sale, I'm SO grabbing this to keep!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Not a massive gamer but just started Undertale after it being mentioned on the forum, can highly recommend even if games are not your thing, just plain fun and quirky, Toriel is a great character, reminds me of then old bbc and spectrum text adventures.

Daunted
Disproportionately Dappled
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's not even a great "game." It's just a fantastic story in the format of a game.

That said a lot of the tropes being played with are video game tropes so it helps to have some video game background.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Sleet wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:48 pm It's not even a great "game." It's just a fantastic story in the format of a game.

That said a lot of the tropes being played with are video game tropes so it helps to have some video game background.
True I guess maybe that's why I got into it. Also a big Okami fan.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I've never gotten into Okami. Always wanted to, have plenty of chances. Just haven't. Am I missing out on much? Keeping in mind I personally value the gameplay loop over story.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Combat is neat once you unlock things other than the starting weapon. And they’re rather sporadic. After a time, you get good at grinding rare drops. And it does have a great art style. Every release after the original had to remove the ending theme due to licensing, though.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

grind? Its a grinding kind of game?
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I have the wii origional version, didn't know that about the end theme, not finished it yet, wonder if I've got it? Loved the style of the game but the again I like anime and Japanese art in general so no suprise there. Also you get to play a magical wolf :D .
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I think the ending theme is just on the PS2 version. And grinding is specifically for certain item drops for trades with specific characters.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Oh? So like fetch quests kinda grinding? Like uhhh, LOZ kinda thing?

Hmm, Well. I did like Okamis kit in Marvel Vs Capcom. Maybe.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

JayBarker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:50 am I've never gotten into Okami. Always wanted to, have plenty of chances. Just haven't. Am I missing out on much? Keeping in mind I personally value the gameplay loop over story.
It's basically Zelda, if that helps.

It's absolutely beautiful, and you get to play as a wolf which is fun.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I'd agree with Sleet definate twighlight princess vibes (I must admit I was disapointed you weren't a wolf for the whole of that game ;) )