Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by SeanWolf »

It is less grindy then the first one (though expect to jump through a few hoops just to get the new Umbral Engrams decrpyted).

Off Destiny 2, I want to say this: I don't think Titanfall 2's campaign is this masterpiece or greatness people are saying it is. The campaign, to me at least, felt really tacked on and alot of the stuff they had in the game (That time travel mechanic for one), while interesting, felt unneeded as you didn't get to play with them in the multiplayer, the main reason I play the Titanfall series (NOT APEX LEGENDS, I DO NOT CONSIDER THAT PART OF THE TITANFALL UNIVERSE). I get what they were trying to do but focusing it on just two characters (your MC and the Titan) for the whole campaign and feeling more like a generic military FPS from the early 2000s (You know, the ones where it's ONE SOLIDER VS THE BAD GUYS).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I have no real opinion on the campaign, it exists, but I have never had more fun with the mechanics of a shooter as I had with titanfall 2. I would LOVE for that game to come back, and no I don't particularly like Apex, it's not the same, just the weapons kinda are, but the movement and everything else just isn't good enough for me.

But, yeah, Loved titanfall game play wise.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

DDeer wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:35 pmHow do you rate elite dangerous, I remember hearing mixed things when it came out.
Eek, sorry for slow response. I give the game 9/10 but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Graphics and sound design is unmatched in any space sim, but gameplay can be simple and repetitive. The early game is hard to love; I recently started a second account and it's very slow and restrictive. It's mindblowing in VR tho. But either way, it's one of those experiences where either you love it or hate it, no in between.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:42 pm
DDeer wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:35 pmHow do you rate elite dangerous, I remember hearing mixed things when it came out.
Eek, sorry for slow response. I give the game 9/10 but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Graphics and sound design is unmatched in any space sim, but gameplay can be simple and repetitive. The early game is hard to love; I recently started a second account and it's very slow and restrictive. It's mindblowing in VR tho. But either way, it's one of those experiences where either you love it or hate it, no in between.
I guess if you like the original you'd like this version by the sounds of it.
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sometimes games that are the most simple and repetitive are the funnest to play.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

I will love my Atari 2600 to death and not even the forces of hell itself will stop me.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Speaking of Elite... Odyssey is looking slick!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That really does look very nice!
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

TF2 still has a bot problem, but good nonetheless
B.E.A.R. PMC
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that they will get around to fixing it when they get the chance.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Valve doesn't really care about TF2 much. It doesn't make them much money, being F2P an' all...
JamesMill89

Post by JamesMill89 »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:17 pm Speaking of Elite... Odyssey is looking slick!
Imagine studying for 5 years how to operate and repair a reactor, another 5 years on how to fly a spacecraft. couple more years of practice being on a planetary outpost and then just one random dude blasts the protective cover of the door hijacks the lock and shoots you dead for absolutely no reason whatsoever
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Finally got around to playing Wolfenstien: The Old Blood via GamePass last weekend and I regret not getting it when it came out. Game's pretty fun and might be the funnier of the series. You know, if I were to rank the series, it'd go:

6. Wolfenstien 3D (Worst)
5. Return To Castle Wolfenstien
4. Wolfenstien 2: The New Colossus
3. Wolfenstien (2009)
2. Wolfenstien: The Old Blood
1. Wolfenstien: Youngblood (Best)

Also played both Warface and Warface: BreakOut and...yeah, those two were bad. First game felt very clunky (I think the CryEngine wasn't built for fast-paced Multiplayer games) and the other was basically Counter-Strike.

Lastly, played Doom 3 (Game Pass, but I also own the BFG Edition). You know, it's a great game but it does have a few issues. A Few jumping areas were annoying (Platforming doesn't need to be in a Doom game at all...Doom Eternal's Jump-And-Grip The Wall areas, anyone?) and, yeah, that Shotgun was bad. Even at very close range, it sometime takes more then one pull of the trigger to off an enemy (even the lower powered zombies).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You even have to shoot them again after you gave them a head shot?
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:41 pm You even have to shoot them again after you gave them a head shot?
Sometimes, yes. Other times? No. The damage output on the shotgun in Doom 3 is very inconsistent.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Any of you guys heard of a game called Super Animal Royale?
It's basically PUBG but in a cute cartoony art style, with a top-down camera...oh and all the characters are anthro animals.
It's super cute and simple fun. =^w^=
Oh and did I mention it was Free To Play?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8433 ... al_Royale/
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sounds like it would be really cool! I might take a look at it later.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

FINALLY played Undertale today.

- Art style was bad
- Music was not that good
- Color scheme and certain effects chosen hurt my eyes (Jiggling letters against a black background isn't cute)
- The "choice" the game gives you in being either a Good Hero or a Bad Villain is a straight-up lie. Right at the first fight, you can instantly and mentally figure out that there is no point to playing a "bad" route and is better to be good.

In other words? Undertale hits my Worst Games I Ever Played list. If you guys like it, great! WAY more power to you! I just...really hated the game.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

SeanWolf wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:02 pm - Music was not that good.
Are you aware that most people tend to take complaints about Undertale’s music as a sign that you haven’t actually played the game and are just complaining about it because it’s popular? THAT’S how much of a minority opinion it is.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

SeanWolf wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:02 pm FINALLY played Undertale today.

- Art style was bad
- Color scheme and certain effects chosen hurt my eyes (Jiggling letters against a black background isn't cute)
- The "choice" the game gives you in being either a Good Hero or a Bad Villain is a straight-up lie. Right at the first fight, you can instantly and mentally figure out that there is no point to playing a "bad" route and is better to be good.

In other words? Undertale hits my Worst Games I Ever Played list. If you guys like it, great! WAY more power to you! I just...really hated the game.
The art really is bad. I think people just give it a pass because the rest of the game is so good, but I wish they went with better art.

Music is subjective, but I know chiptune-style music isn't for everyone. Personally I don't like that kind of music but I still liked the soundtrack!

The game isn't actually supposed to offer legitimate moral dilemmas. The game intends to be fundamentally "moral." Of course it's better to be good, because... being good is good, and being evil is bad. From a gameplay standpoint, the main difference is that being good and being evil change the game fundamentally. Different story, different character interactions different battle gameplay. There are three possible directions the story can go, each with its own unique final boss. The true good ending requires a second playthrough, and the evil ending involves an extremely difficult final boss. I didn't even bother, because there's no way I could beat it.

It does seem like you came in there expecting something different, and in the process, missed some of the point of the game.
Legotron123 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:55 pm
SeanWolf wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:02 pm - Music was not that good.
Are you aware that most people tend to take complaints about Undertale’s music as a sign that you haven’t actually played the game and are just complaining about it because it’s popular? THAT’S how much of a minority opinion it is.
Or they just didn't like the music. I'm inclined to believe that SeanWolf isn't lying. Why would he be lying?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I personally don’t think he’s lying, I was just saying that it’s such a minority opinion that most people assume you’re lying to hate on something popular if you claim to have it.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Sleet wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:25 pm Music is subjective, but I know chiptune-style music isn't for everyone. Personally I don't like that kind of music but I still liked the soundtrack!

The game isn't actually supposed to offer legitimate moral dilemmas. The game intends to be fundamentally "moral." Of course it's better to be good, because... being good is good, and being evil is bad. From a gameplay standpoint, the main difference is that being good and being evil change the game fundamentally. Different story, different character interactions different battle gameplay. There are three possible directions the story can go, each with its own unique final boss. The true good ending requires a second playthrough, and the evil ending involves an extremely difficult final boss. I didn't even bother, because there's no way I could beat it.

It does seem like you came in there expecting something different, and in the process, missed some of the point of the game.
Which I get and understand but, to me, the game felt like it forced you to be one way and not the other, something I admit to not being a fan of at all. To me, it came to head when, during that fight against a dummy, I attacked it (It's a dummy, what else would I do?) and Toriel said dummies are for talking to. That signified to me that combat was pointless and I'd be better of avoiding it and talking stuff out instead of attack cause "Good Don't Hurt'. In any other game that offers a choice between being good and evil, you can still attack and it doesn't affect your standing (The Metro series is a good example at doing this best). If I see an enemy in a game, I'm not gonna try to talk it down and have tea and biscuits with it. No, I'm gonna strike it down and become more powerful then them!

Guess what I'm trying to get as is this: From everything I saw, I was expecting a simple throwback to the NES era of gaming with a unique combat system and interesting moral choices (Like even though you're good, you may have to do some evil things and vice versa). What the game gave me was a game where, even though you are told you can be "Good" or "Bad", it's better AND beneficial to be "good" and you'll be punished in more ways then one if you go "bad".

Legotron123 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:55 pm Are you aware that most people tend to take complaints about Undertale’s music as a sign that you haven’t actually played the game and are just complaining about it because it’s popular? THAT’S how much of a minority opinion it is.
The only song I know that is popular from the game is Megalovania (or however it's spelled), which I will admit is not a bad tune. My issue is that, as Sleet said, I'm not a fan of chiptune music and I always found it to be kind of ear-grating. Sure, there are some games on the NES that had good music but, personally, if given the choice between, say, the the Legend Of Zelda NES soundtrack and the soundtrack to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? I'm gonna take the later.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

SeanWolf wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:52 pm
Legotron123 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:55 pm Are you aware that most people tend to take complaints about Undertale’s music as a sign that you haven’t actually played the game and are just complaining about it because it’s popular? THAT’S how much of a minority opinion it is.
The only song I know that is popular from the game is Megalovania (or however it's spelled), which I will admit is not a bad tune. My issue is that, as Sleet said, I'm not a fan of chiptune music and I always found it to be kind of ear-grating. Sure, there are some games on the NES that had good music but, personally, if given the choice between, say, the the Legend Of Zelda NES soundtrack and the soundtrack to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? I'm gonna take the later.
Megalovania is the song that’s so popular it’s become a meme, but pretty much all the music is popular and well regarded, especially the boss themes. I wonder if you might like the 5th anniversary concert versions of the music better.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Honestly I never was really a big fan of Megalovania in the first place. I really liked Home, Hopes and Dreams, and quite a lot of other songs. Megalovania was just okay.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sleet wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:56 pm Honestly I never was really a big fan of Megalovania in the first place. I really liked Home, Hopes and Dreams, and quite a lot of other songs. Megalovania was just okay.
Same honestly. I think it’s a good song, but I find all the other boss themes to be better, because they were all designed for their respective fights, unlike Megalovania.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The only reason why I even know of that song was because it was used in a Super Mario 64 fan game by a creator on YouTube during a boss fight.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I couldn’t do the Genocide route. Too tedious. Did a neutral and pacifist, had fun with those.

Recently got a game called Bloody Bunny. It’s a hack-and-slash where you play as a vengeful bunny doll going after an organization of evil dolls that initially killed her when she was a human girl. Just got past a sudden difficulty curve.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Downloaded and reinstalled a few titles that I've been wanting to play:

- Stardew Valley (Fun game though I stopped playing last year due to wanting to take a break)
- Dead By Daylight
- Project Warlock (Fun FPS though it's not a "throwback to 90's shooters" as many claim it is)
- RAGE 1
- Desperados 3 (Never heard of this series)
- Empire Of Sin
- Planet Coaster: Console Edition
- Yooka-Laylee (Enjoyed this game alot and the follow-up is pretty fun too)
- Jurassic World: Evolution
- Zombi (Check this title out, seriously. It is one of the more fun zombie FPS out there that mixes elements of Dark Souls in)
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

SeanWolf wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:02 pm FINALLY played Undertale today.

- Art style was bad

Intriguing, I played it (still to finish), I must admit I found it fun and rather endearing, I like the tongue in cheek wholsomeness. I don't play a ton of modern games so I can imagine it may not stack up to others but can admire the fact it tries to do things its own way. I guess I like it for the feel of the game but it is not mandatory to like it :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

To be fair i don't think that I would be able to get into it either but I can only really get into a game that I know is a part of a series so that could be why and as I said the only exposure I have to it is the boss music "Megalovania" being used in "Super Mario 64: Last Impact". A hack of "Super Mario 64" made by Kaze Emanuar.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I also couldn't do the genocide run. Not only was it too tedious, it was kind of heart-wrenching, and there's no way I could have beaten the final boss if I tried. I did watch it on YouTube though.

And of course I get called out for doing it by the game.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Getting back intp Valkyria Chronicles after a pause, I like how varied the missions are and how you really have to consder each turn, your troops are not super poweful and loosing even 1 can make missions difficult, makes you care more what happens to them. Getting the hang of orders and upgrades, how they have managed to get some character into this game is good and I like the cut scenes even if they are a little corny, sort of cross between anime and command and conquer. Just finished a mission where you had to diable an apc and not destroy it, tricky but rewarding.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Hey, So I've been Following the game " Hood" For a good little while. Pretty much since it was announced and its surprisingly coming out around the 10th. Has anyone else heard about it? Any thoughts?

also, A very big surprise for me but I LOVED the beta for Knockout City if anyone managed to hear about/ play that.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Can't say that I have ever heard of the game "Hood". What is it about?
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

That's a new one on me as well. Looked it up, I do like the fact Maid Marian has smoke grenades :D have you played a demo?

Whenever I think of Robin Hood I think of

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CY7UifBHaGc
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_Ma ... _Merry_Men

Some great songs ;)

Daunted
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I know nothing about that movie or song, but Hood is basically a 4v4 pvp/pve. There are two teams of 4, could be five I tend to forget that, Where you're trying to storm the same castle in order to raid its treasury. There is a lot of mobs and a very strong NPC called a "Sheriff" or warden. And your job is to either sneak yoru way around them all to get it or just fight your way through it to get it. And at the end, you will probably have to fight the enemy team for it in some kind of tactical combat. There are several classes like sniper (long bow) hunter, barbarian, wizard, cleric.

And I very much enjoy that dynamic. There haven't been a demo but its a half priced game. 30 dollars US for entry to it so I'm willing to risk that on a gamble.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:52 pm I know nothing about that movie or song, but Hood is basically a 4v4 pvp/pve. There are two teams of 4, could be five I tend to forget that, Where you're trying to storm the same castle in order to raid its treasury. There is a lot of mobs and a very strong NPC called a "Sheriff" or warden. And your job is to either sneak yoru way around them all to get it or just fight your way through it to get it. And at the end, you will probably have to fight the enemy team for it in some kind of tactical combat. There are several classes like sniper (long bow) hunter, barbarian, wizard, cleric.

And I very much enjoy that dynamic. There haven't been a demo but its a half priced game. 30 dollars US for entry to it so I'm willing to risk that on a gamble.
Sounds interesting, could get very tactical I imagine, interesting idea having two seoearte teams tryin to achieve the same goal and the differing classes shpuld add depth I guess.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I imagine that's gonna be a good part of it. Considering there's a healer class I guess its not gonna be run and gun .. 'er . .. arrow. . . I guess. Or if there is, its probably gonna be really big plays. My absolute favorite part is that it's cross play. I love that a lot more modern games are doing that kind of thing. Now I'm not going to need to be choosy with there I play it.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:24 am I imagine that's gonna be a good part of it. Considering there's a healer class I guess its not gonna be run and gun .. 'er . .. arrow. . . I guess. Or if there is, its probably gonna be really big plays. My absolute favorite part is that it's cross play. I love that a lot more modern games are doing that kind of thing. Now I'm not going to need to be choosy with there I play it.
Cross play? Do you mean it works over different platforms? I'm not up on modern gaming I'm afraid.

Daunted
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

That's correct. It runs between all the consoles its available on and PC. So, one person could be on xbox, one on ps4/5, and the last on PC and they would be able to play just fine.