Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

hypernovatic

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by hypernovatic »

I finally have all the movesets planned out for my Pokemon team.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

MrNeonShot wrote:o.o
that is a long story.
All I got was the xbox part.
So in other words you didn't really "get" any of my life story. Was it somehow hard to understand? Because I tried to make it as easy to understand as possible.
I don't see how I can explain it any clearer.
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Got back to playing Project X Zone. Probably gonna get back to playing Xillia, Xillia 2 and Graces f again when I get home.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

No, sir. It was late that night, and it was too much text.

Whether I got it or not, all depends on if I read it.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

So, have any of you noticed how much people seem to love to revel in Goldeneye on the N64? I find it kind of weird honestly, it might have been an okay movie tie-in game, but it's almost unplayable at this point, it controls poorly, the levels are okay, for the most part, it doesn't sound or look that great, I don't get it.

Now, Doom on the other hand is one of the earliest FPS games made, and it is still fun to play. It controls well, the sprites are awesome looking, the music while aged, is still actually pretty cool, and the level design is top notch. Same thing with Duke Nukem 3-d, the first level in which, has some great design and secrets, it's also tons of fun, but people don't seem to bring these up as much as Goldeneye sometimes, which is kinda weird :/

Also, 007 Nightfire was an awesome game
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:So, have any of you noticed how much people seem to love to revel in Goldeneye on the N64? I find it kind of weird honestly, it might have been an okay movie tie-in game, but it's almost unplayable at this point, it controls poorly, the levels are okay, for the most part, it doesn't sound or look that great, I don't get it.

Now, Doom on the other hand is one of the earliest FPS games made, and it is still fun to play. It controls well, the sprites are awesome looking, the music while aged, is still actually pretty cool, and the level design is top notch. Same thing with Duke Nukem 3-d, the first level in which, has some great design and secrets, it's also tons of fun, but people don't seem to bring these up as much as Goldeneye sometimes, which is kinda weird :/

Also, 007 Nightfire was an awesome game
Hah, I read your first paragraph thinking 'Doom's such a better game in comparison' before reading your second paragraph. I totally agree with you. Goldeneye has aged badly and in my opinion makes the game kinda unplayable, when compared to any modern FPS. Same applies to Turok games on the N64. I've personally had some of the most fun playing Doom on my Xbox again now you can download it. The level design and enemy design and even the UI for that game is amazing, and has aged pretty decently. People love the pixels.

If people choose to play Goldeneye over, I don't know, Call of Duty...I've really not got a clue why. It must be nostalgia. I don't even really like Call of Duty, but I can appreciate the combat system and control scheme far better than with Goldeneye.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Lets face it, if you ever played goldeneye multiplayer you did so as oddjob. :lol: I only ever got to the third level in the original. :|
Duke nukem was an awesome game though, lots of good gameplay and plenty of level exploration to do. I just can't recall the plot to it... :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
The Grey Wolverine

Aha! Time for a point! Who cares what the plot was! It was aliens are here, kill them. What was the plot to Doom? You are in hell, kill stuff! The plot to an FPS doesn't matter, the gameplay is what matters. I'm sorry, just, so many games that take themselves so seriously and are like "Oh yes, well I am going to do these serious things! And it will be great!" and it's like, bleh. The story shouldn't be a thing that carries a first person shooter, Battlefield 4 acts like its story is so good and epic and serious, but it's boring and dull and stupid. It feels like a sightseeing tour. Doom, you run around and shoot demons with a double barrel shotgun and love the violence around you. I am getting tired of these 'epic' stories in FPSs, and I do always play through the single player campaign anyways, but it's not that good people. So yes,let something stupid immature, violent, goofy, and FUN. Story in a game isn't the most important thing, it's how it plays kids, remember that.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

MrNeonShot wrote:No, sir. It was late that night, and it was too much text.

Whether I got it or not, all depends on if I read it.
Well, dude, you can always try reading it again when you're more awake. *nods*
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I thought Goldeneye 007 was a cool game.
I loved playing it... until I got stuck.
Those friggin rocket launchers!
I don't even remember the level I was on.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Project X Zone. SO MANY CHARACTERS IN ONE GAME. SO GREAT.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Rockets? I think that is the last dash before the end boss. :? Were you in a jungle?
The Grey Wolverine

So, one guy has been playing the same game of Civ II on and off for the last decade. Just, look at this:
http://kotaku.com/5917693/ten-years-of- ... petual-war
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I saw this before, it's pretty crazy really considering how quite the games often end for me (~350 years) but that must be really complex to play. :lol:
If anyone ever wanted to get age of empires on DS I advise not to, if you are not crushed you will be playing it for ever as the AI has unlimited resources per round. Once they build a building they can build as many of the most powerful units they want. In all the time I have played it I am on the seventh level... Of the first campaign! :lol:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's kind of depressing. I have to wonder, though. Is the game even any fun at that point?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

probably not at all. that's why it specifically says he hasn't been playing nonstop
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
The Grey Wolverine

I would say, no. Not at all.

In other news for those of you that don't check Steam very often, they have put Final Fantasy VIII on the service now, so, what do you guys think of that? Just as an idea that now some classic PS1 games are on Steam, like, Deus Ex, and System Shock 2, and Quake, those were all classic PC games, so it makes sense that it would be on steam, but Final Fantasy VIII? Why I must ask, we can get that on the PSN, At least with VII even though I hate it, it seems to be important for some odd reason. However, I do hope this means that Final Fantasy IX coming out on Steam, because that is the only Final Fantasy on the Playstation that I like from a personal perspective. I don't hate VIII as much as, the previous one, and I think most people have seen my tare against that one, but VIII is just kinda....well...bleh. Squall isn't awfull, and he does have his good moments, and he actually has more internal conflict that Cloud didn't have, won't say what because spoilers, but it's slightly better.

Also, the Gunblade is stupider then the Buster Sword, and I still think the Buster Sword is the 3rd stupidest weapon in all of gaming.
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Final Fantasy VIII is...okay. I really like the story and (some of) the characters, though some of the writing decisions are pretty darn silly ("WE DON'T REMEMBER EACH OTHER BECAUSE OUR SUMMON THINGS TAKE UP THAT SPACE IN OUR BRAIN EXCEPT NO THAT'S JUST SOMETHING THE CRITICS SAY"). I think its heart was in the right place in trying to make the gameplay as open-ended as possible, but probably made things a bit too complex in the process. Final Fantasy IX is excellent in pretty much every way, probably my favorite entry in the series. And though it gets its backlash nowadays, I'd have to say VII is up there, too, for me - nostalgia is a big factor, but sloppy translation aside, I still think the story is freaking brilliant and the gameplay/customization stuff is how to do it as far as I'm concerned: really open-ended with lots of customization, but simple, easy to use and very rewarding.

Also, weapon design isn't something that typically bugs me much, though the Gunblade to me is so stupid that it is awesome.
*cough*
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Playing Pokémon Y again. Still dying a lot.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Okay, Blue Fox!
I have read your gaming history. I can't really offer any opinions about the past, but I will converse to your future plans.
You want to get a PS4, and an Xbox 360 for Destiny and 2 other games.
Don't.
-The PS4 is about to release Minecraft: PS edition.
The difference (I think) between the xbox version and the PS4 edition is that you have a touchpad that makes everything more awesome.
-Destiny on the Xbox 360 does not have a free realm capability, so your literally paying the same amount for less of what the game offers.
-All the Halo games have the same serious feeling. Don't expect Halo Reach to feel any different.

Your specifically a Sony fan, so don't stray.

The handhelds on the other hand...
The Vita is a more powerful handheld AND can be used as a PS3 and PS4 controller.
BUT
Nintendo has all the cooler handheld games on them.
The handheld console is your decision, but I HIGHLY recommend a 3DS (or 2DS, if you dislike 3D, and like an open console).

That covers my thoughts, so good luck with your future endeavors.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Is Vita really that bad on a handheld console?
Also, with the online co-op mode for most consoles now, how do you connect to the internet and how fast of a connection would you need to ensure a smooth gaming experience?

As of right now, I'm playing Pokemon White 2 post-game just for the lolz (and training the ultimate Eeveelution team) and just starting (and dying a lot) on Cave Story.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

MrNeonShot wrote:Okay, Blue Fox!
I have read your gaming history. I can't really offer any opinions about the past, but I will converse to your future plans.
You want to get a PS4, and an Xbox 360 for Destiny and 2 other games.
Don't.
-The PS4 is about to release Minecraft: PS edition.
Yeah, I'm aware of that already.
MrNeonShot wrote:The difference (I think) between the xbox version and the PS4 edition is that you have a touchpad that makes everything more awesome.
Dat touchpad...not sure what kinda role it'll play in PS4 games but I'm sure I'll find out when I get the thing.
MrNeonShot wrote:-Destiny on the Xbox 360 does not have a free realm capability, so your literally paying the same amount for less of what the game offers.
I suppose you have a point...it would be a past-gen version...
MrNeonShot wrote:-All the Halo games have the same serious feeling. Don't expect Halo Reach to feel any different.
I only really want Halo Reach coz of all the funny fail videos of other people playing it I keep seeing. Also armor lock shenanigans.
Not really particularly good reasons now that I think about it.

MrNeonShot wrote:Your specifically a Sony fan, so don't stray.
Yeah, okay, maybe Xbox 360 is a bad idea...I hereby remove it from my gaming "to buy" list...and Destiny and Minecraft will promptly plop under my PS4 list of games to get. *nods* ...heck I might even get the PC version of Minecraft instead...the only real reason I have for not getting MC PC is the PC maps pretty much stretch on forever, and I'm worried I'll get lost and end up wandering off infinitely into the unknown.
MrNeonShot wrote:The handhelds on the other hand...
The Vita is a more powerful handheld AND can be used as a PS3 and PS4 controller.
BUT
Nintendo has all the cooler handheld games on them.
The handheld console is your decision, but I HIGHLY recommend a 3DS (or 2DS, if you dislike 3D, and like an open console).
Coz I'm getting both. Eventually.
MrNeonShot wrote:That covers my thoughts, so good luck with your future endeavors.
Thank you kindly. You helped put my plans into perspective and highlighted the flaws in my reasoning.
For this you win an internet.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Megamaster wrote:Project X Zone. SO MANY CHARACTERS IN ONE GAME. SO GREAT.
I thought it was a rather meh game myself. While the amount of characters is great, the stages quickly turn into the same thing over and over and over, you grinding down the same enemies. There are much better games.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

No problem. I'm actually glad I read it now!
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Playing Radiant Historia. Try to do everything there is to do.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Welp, Super Mario 3D World is really awesome. I think it does what 3D Land set out to do much better.

I'm also amused that the worlds barely even are reflected in the levels. The desert world, for instance, has like one desert level in it. XP
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Playing Xillia 2. Level grinding in the bonus dungeon so I can do the rest of the arena stuff and kill all of the Gigantos.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Sleet wrote:Welp, Super Mario 3D World is really awesome. I think it does what 3D Land set out to do much better.

I'm also amused that the worlds barely even are reflected in the levels. The desert world, for instance, has like one desert level in it. XP
Told ya. Game of the gen. I'm also happy the level design is quite a lot better than 3D Land. Some stages in that game made my eyes and hands bleed sometimes

Also, yesterday i've completed the final special world... Prepare yourself. And bring coffee. A lot.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

You may want to consider reworking your grip on the controller. :lol:
Yeah the game is definatly good, I actually prefer it to the DS mario games, which is weird given my attachment to handhelds.
I find it funny how much Japanese mythology gets into the Mario games though. Tanooki Mario, Kitsune Luigi, The statue you transform into, and the Matatabi (cat) is now running strong too. :lol:
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Playing Tales of Hearts in preparation for Tales of Hearts R for when I get a Vita
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Kitsune Luigi?
Okay, now I have to play this.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Kitsune luigi is Luigi in the Tanooki suit powerup, they felt he should vary from Mario and so he became a fox in more modern installments instead of a Raccoon, the raccoon tail is still the leaf powerup however.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I think it's still cool.
I just got pokemon diamond for the soul purpose of catching a Riolu.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

... You know you can catch and get them in eggs in later games right? They don't exist only in diamond.
... In fact the only one in diamond is an Egg I think. :?
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Eh?
Yeah, I kinda figured that. I think it was pearl that let you catch him in a cave.
Either way, I can just spawn him in if I can't find him.
Happiness Designer
Location: In the corner of your mind, where reality and dreams clash and create a fabulous universe.

Post by Happiness Designer »

MrNeonShot wrote:Eh?
Yeah, I kinda figured that. I think it was pearl that let you catch him in a cave.
Either way, I can just spawn him in if I can't find him.
*cough* So you meet this dude named Reily in a cave, and he asks for you to help him with some stuff. He battles with you, and uses a Lucario. Once you finish helping him, he sees you have potential and gives you an egg that contains Riolu, who evolves when happy.
~ Colors are good. ~
Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; It is something you design for the present.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

He is in iron island north of the far western port city in a slightly later stage of the game if that is as specific as you need. :lol:
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Thanks!
That saves me the trouble of having to find him.
Right now, I am currently trying to et all of my pokemon team to level 8.
My pipplin* is level 10.
That way, when I encounter wild pokemon, I can just demolish them.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Riolus were pretty easy to catch in Black and White 2.
_Stu_ wrote:
Sleet wrote:Welp, Super Mario 3D World is really awesome. I think it does what 3D Land set out to do much better.

Told ya. Game of the gen. I'm also happy the level design is quite a lot better than 3D Land. Some stages in that game made my eyes and hands bleed sometimes

Also, yesterday i've completed the final special world... Prepare yourself. And bring coffee. A lot.
3D Land just felt a little less inspired. I think they tried a little too hard to make the worlds sterile to invoke the classic feel and to differentiate it from Galaxy. They didn't really do that with this one. I just got to the level Sprawling Savannah and I was just tickled pink chasing bunnies around the grassland in a cat suit on all fours. This game just keeps you smiling!

I completed the bonus star on the Grandmaster Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Should I still be terrified?
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Sleet wrote:Riolus were pretty easy to catch in Black and White 2.
_Stu_ wrote:

3D Land just felt a little less inspired. I think they tried a little too hard to make the worlds sterile to invoke the classic feel and to differentiate it from Galaxy. They didn't really do that with this one. I just got to the level Sprawling Savannah and I was just tickled pink chasing bunnies around the grassland in a cat suit on all fours. This game just keeps you smiling!

I completed the bonus star on the Grandmaster Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Should I still be terrified?
Never played Galaxy 2, still have to take it, but i've heard amusing things about that stage. Still, the ones i hear here and there can't give me an answer. Someone says less difficult, someone says more

What i can say is that 3D World final stage is quite insane. No power ups and no checkpoints, that's the less though. It requires a sniper's precision. And cold nerves. You also have to master every single move and property of it, like the long jump, or the crush air frame trick. Sometimes is a question of milliseconds and millimetres. A certain part right after the first one becomes easier with a Tanuki suit. But if you lose it, you're done. Or you can ragequit before saving, but it's annoying

At least is completely polish, so there's no dirty trick that makes it a matter of luck. Except for one of the last parts. But it can fixed by starting that certain phase a second after the teleport...
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!