Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JeffCvt

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by JeffCvt »

I gathered that. What I'm saying is, having these games 75% (Or more) off is a lot. They can't really be making money from the sale of the game itself at this point, so it must be the fact it would attract a lot of new people who would then buy games when there isn't a huge sale going on, or buy other things that don't come with the download of the game.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

games that are already made don't cost anything to be sold digitally, so they're technically always making a profit when a game is sold.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They don't make a profit until they pay for the cost of production. Past that point, every sale is profit.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Zavryn

Post by Zavryn »

JeffCvt wrote:If 40% off is lame, I hate to think how money is actually being made with most of those sales.
Honestly, the only reason I say that it's lame is cuz I'm able to snag other games at ridiculously low price and honestly, most of the sales that are talked about in the summer steam sale are 50-75% off. Which is like why the summer steam sale is so big.

At any rate, I would be glad to snag a couple games that I want at 40% off, but as I said, its lame cuz I don't have the money for it at the moment. =P
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I'm cheap and I watched the flash sales and daily deals for everything to go on 75% off.

Have a list:
No Time To Explain,
Amnesia: Dark Descent,
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
Devil May Cry 4
Fallout: Legendary Edition
GTA Episodes from Liberty City
GTA San Andreas
GTA Vice City
GTA 3
GTA 4
Portal 1
Portal 2
Skyrim: Legendary Edition
Antichamber
Max Payne 3
Organ Trail: Director's Cut

The last two are for my boyfriend's birthday. He wants Max Payne 3 a lot, so he's going to be really surprised. X3 I would get him the regular version of Skyrim too if I had more money, but he'll be stoked for just MP3.

I wanted Dishonored, but I've got a budget and a couple of other games are higher on my priority list. Hopefully by Christmas it might reach 75% flash sale status. I might snag Anna around Christmastime as well.

I'm still waiting it out to see if Antichamber and LA Noire: Complete Edition go back on steeper sales on the last day on the sale (Monday). I didn't start watching the sales until a couple days in, so I missed Antichamber the first time. I barely missed the L.A. Noire flash sale for $7.49 sale because I was having some trouble logging into Steam. Grrr....

EDIT: Antichamber is in the current flash sale for the next two hours and 40 minutes! I got it! ^_^
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

GameCobra wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:It's a mediocre DMC clone with meh combat, short length, repetitive combat, and a crap ending. It is however, HILARIOUS to no end! But not worth buying, I say rent it.
These days, renting games seems to be obsolete :(

But yes, I love what I saw about the game and I want to play it bad, but don't want to buy it.
I know of one way to rent them, a thing called Redbox, it works well enough.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That tends to have pretty limited selection, doesn't it?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Zavryn

Post by Zavryn »

Redbox does tend to have a very limited selection when it comes to games. Honestly, if you plan to rent a lot of games, I'd say go with gamefly. But you gotta play quite a bit to make it worth it. It's not like video game rental stores are dead. (yet). lol
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Taken a look at fallout because of the sale, it's a good game but something tells me they got a bit lazy with some of the text, some of its recycled from Skyrim.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Hate to break it to ya, but New Vegas was released before Skyrim. (Also, they're both text-heavy games, so recycling of text would be pretty understandable).
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I don't exactly keep up to date with release dates, but they could have tried to make it less obvious.
"OMG a robot! ... Wait where have I read this before?" Kinda like that really.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Every game ever that has robots in it.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

And a lot that don't too. I feel like playing the old Xbox but I need room and the cables first.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I've played DOTA 2 and I think I've finally found a hero I liked (ancient Apparition). The bad thing is how some people start to yell and insult me for being a newcomer to the game and not know how to use units properly. But I guess this happens in most online games.
My sole complaint about this game is how it seems to have just ONE map for the matches.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Zavryn

Post by Zavryn »

I enjoy Dota2 every once in a while. I can only play easy heroes that have two active abilities like skeleton king though.

Unfortunately the whole insulting thing for beung a newcomer ive seen in every moba ive played. Not so much mmorpgs, but it is there.

Id probably play the game more if i hadnt already been playing league of legends for so long now.
The Grey Wolverine

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Taken a look at fallout because of the sale, it's a good game but something tells me they got a bit lazy with some of the text, some of its recycled from Skyrim.
How so? and what lines? And what game? It's not lazy, and the writing is better than Skyrim's in all honesty, as someone who is nit pickey about these things, skyrim ignores a lot of the history of the Elder Scrolls Series, like the religion of the Nords for example, was based on a dragon, they hated the religion of the empire, and the empire embraced Talos. The new Fallout games acknowledge the previous games, and build off of them, the super mutants in the mountains of New Vegas, the leader of that group was a follower in Fallout 2, the BOS bringing up the chapter in Chicago, the one that went rouge. There are just things like that in Fallout that they keep doing.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I mean all the kind of text saying "You are over encumbered and cannot run" and "you cannot fast travel whilst there are enemies nearby"
The Grey Wolverine

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:I mean all the kind of text saying "You are over encumbered and cannot run" and "you cannot fast travel whilst there are enemies nearby"
So the text that informs you 'You have too much stuff" and that you can't run? truly a massive issue, maybe it's me, but that seems like a non issue
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I'm just saying that they could have made it different, only the little bodies of text are reused whereas they could have simply written in new ones to fit each game, I never said it was a major issue but its just one of those little things that you notice.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Just cause is $/€0.27 on steam right now, just a heads up
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:I'm just saying that they could have made it different, only the little bodies of text are reused whereas they could have simply written in new ones to fit each game, I never said it was a major issue but its just one of those little things that you notice.
What would you have it say instead?
Zavryn wrote:I enjoy Dota2 every once in a while. I can only play easy heroes that have two active abilities like skeleton king though.

Unfortunately the whole insulting thing for beung a newcomer ive seen in every moba ive played. Not so much mmorpgs, but it is there.

Id probably play the game more if i hadnt already been playing league of legends for so long now.
I probably play too much of that for my own good. What's your summoner name there? Maybe we could play a round or two sometime.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Zavryn wrote: Id probably play the game more if i hadnt already been playing league of legends for so long now.
I've been playing league of legends for about... 2½ years or so or more by now and I have 565 hours into dota 2! What's stopping you from playing it?o:
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Zavryn

Post by Zavryn »

Tiggy wrote:I've been playing league of legends for about... 2½ years or so or more by now and I have 565 hours into dota 2! What's stopping you from playing it?o:
its just I don't play league too often anymore as it is and most of my friends play league. I'll get on and play dota2 every now and again but when I want to play a moba its just easier to go with a game I'm familiar with. I've also been playing for 2 1/2 years or longer. :p
Tha Housefox wrote:I probably play too much of that for my own good. What's your summoner name there? Maybe we could play a round or two sometime.
My summoner name is Zavryn I'd totally be up for a game or few. :)
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Zavryn wrote:
Tiggy wrote:I've been playing league of legends for about... 2½ years or so or more by now and I have 565 hours into dota 2! What's stopping you from playing it?o:
its just I don't play league too often anymore as it is and most of my friends play league. I'll get on and play dota2 every now and again but when I want to play a moba its just easier to go with a game I'm familiar with. I've also been playing for 2 1/2 years or longer. :p
Tha Housefox wrote:I probably play too much of that for my own good. What's your summoner name there? Maybe we could play a round or two sometime.
My summoner name is Zavryn I'd totally be up for a game or few. :)
I've been playing it pretty sparingly for ~6 months, but a few weeks ago I started playing it a lot more. So there's that. Also my summoner name is Pariesh. I kinda just made up a name 'cause I'm actually good at that.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Ugh, just played BO2 on WiiU, and the quality of people online has saddened me. Not one person playing decently and just a bunch of chimpanzees playing with a controller on my team. Eventually I got kicked after too many of them ran into my machine gun fire.
I'm going to stick with more classic shooters on Wii and Mass Effect 3.
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Ugh, just played BO2 on WiiU, and the quality of people online has saddened me. Not one person playing decently and just a bunch of chimpanzees playing with a controller on my team. Eventually I got kicked after too many of them ran into my machine gun fire.
I'm going to stick with more classic shooters on Wii and Mass Effect 3.
>implying that you expect decency on CoD
CoD is just a bunch of trickshotters/in-the-knowers/boosters/hackers in one arena. If you aren't one of them you will NEVER prevail. Decency loses in CoD. Unless you're playing a lesser-known gamemode like Sharpshooter or Pure TDM.
Now Battlefield, THAT requires tactics because EVERY gun is OP. Some are just a little more OP than others. c:
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I am awesome on MW3 because that requires skill. BO2 however has stupid perks and attachments that don't wooed as they should which ruins the whole thing, not to mention the many camping spots, overpowered guns and kill(score)streaks that people call in.
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

I have never actually gotten into much FPS games... Counter Strike (single player) was mostly just for fun. The only reason I played Call of Duty games was because I was EXTREMELY bored. The only FPS game that I've ever enjoyed so far was Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. But I never really get to play it properly since a) I have terrible internet connection so I'm stuck with the stupid AI and b) because it lags a lot on my computer.

Anyways, the latest game I've played this week was "Live A Live". Don't recognize it? Me neither... It's a really old SNES game, but still pretty good.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Left 4 Dead is awesome but it's not really a traditional FPS. It's part of why I like it.
snakebug

Post by snakebug »

Well, the one thing I like about left 4 dead is that its creative. Its not just shoot a zombie with the same mechanics as every other game.

And it has humor!
In this world there are two types of people my friend.

Those with loaded guns and those who dig.

YOU DIG
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

snakebug wrote:Well, the one thing I like about left 4 dead is that its creative. Its not just shoot a zombie with the same mechanics as every other game.

And it has humor!
Humor is something that Valve excels at.
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

snakebug wrote:Well, the one thing I like about left 4 dead is that its creative. Its not just shoot a zombie with the same mechanics as every other game.

And it has humor!
Left 4 Dead is also a cooperative effort which sets it apart from most shooters out today. Even Portal 2 has a cooperative campaign.
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

If this is true, then I'm really disapointed by the Nintendo company.
http://cheezburger.com/7690828032

I've never seen any of the so called spoilers (like many other people) so why that should be a punishment for us? Honestly, I think It's more like lazyness to actually write something decent.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I've never seen any of this either, and I search a lot of Smash Bros. stuff.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Some staff leaked it but it was removed for the most part. Yes it is true they are removing it, NoE's society has confirmed.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Why would they do that in the first place?
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Because now with the trailers and images your already hooked, you will still buy it for the gameplay. All the attention brought about by controversy is also free advertising.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I'm pretty sure leaks happen because they're leaks.

Anywho, I highly doubt that SSB4 will have removed content because of the internet and excuse me for not really trusting a meme site.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't buy it.