Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Sleet »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:
Sleet wrote:I also was partial to the Gamecube's controller. I think those two were the best traditional controllers of all time.
I was really NEVER a fan of the Gamecube controller, and there is a reason. So, I have a friend named Nick, and Nick had a Gamecube years ago, and his brother gave him a PS2 and an old Xbox his roommate gave him, he liked the Gamecube, didn't have a lot of co-op games, and I owned a PS2 and the games for that, neither of us had many co-op games for it that were that good. And we'd end up playing the Xbox most of the time, because there were more co-op games on it that were good. So, I rarely played the gamecube, and being a Playstation guy up until I hurt my hands(weird story, I might get to that later) I was completly thrown off by the layout of the Gamecube controller, I mean it was weird to use, I had trouble getting used to the button and stick layout, and I really had trouble even just using it in like, Smashbrothers I just couldn't get used to it.
So basically you weren't used to it?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

The Starcraft 2 finals at dreamhack will be broadcasted on swedish television! This is great news!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Guys, I just got Magicka, Steam is having a crazy sale this weekend, the game is less than $3. Just thought you might want to know.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
exranio

Post by exranio »

P4U trailer in english. Yay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQXF9UG ... ntext-vrec
I call playing as the 2000IQ Killjoy Detective.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

So now i have time to play my PS3 games again, but rather than do the sensible thing and play Bionic Commando, i forgot to beat Wizardry : Labyrynth of Lost Souls. once that's beat? then Bionic Commando >.>

Also, i should create a funny challenge. Round up all the Housepets! forum people and see how many survive until the last boss with Rick being the almighty hero. =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that challenge Gamecobra. Then again, I've never played or even heard of Wizardry : Labyrynth of Lost Souls to know.

Buuuut, be sure to post what you felt about the snipers on Bionic Commander *random reminder*. :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Wizardry is very similar to Dungeons and Dragons, except there's always 8 classes (4 of them being advanced classes, but that doesn't mean they are always better either), 3 alignments and permament death is a major drawing point. Basically, create a party of 6 at the town's guild or Inn, fix the problem in the current Wizardry game, and don't die while doing it. If someone dies, they are gone forever =(

Although i don't plan on anyone dying in my party, just to make the game intriguing, i'm planning on doing a Wizardry extravaganza sometime in the future. But for now? I must beat the big bad!

And yes, i still remember the snipers. i'll see them soon, probably. =3
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

ahh, sounds like a decent game, a shame I've not got a PS3. :P
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Dissension wrote:I'm still a huge fan of the Nintendo 64 controller. = P
Even though the analog stick tends leave a gaping hole of burning fire in the palm of your hand whenever you play Mario Party?

Also:
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:“We haven’t quite decided yet, whether we’re going to do A Link to the Past, because there’s also the possibility of doing a remake of Majora’s Mask. This is something we’ve certainly been talking about and doing a little bit of experimenting with, to figure out which way we’re going to go. (Fans will have to wait) just a little while longer (to hear a decision).

We have so many goals right now. We’re always looking at expanding our audience and giving people the opportunity to get their hands on 3DS and see what kind of fun gaming experiences they can have. And now, we’re also tasked with pushing the Wii U. So we have lots of good opportunities in terms of thinking about which Zelda game is going to be best for which purpose.”
IceKitsune wrote:Hope my friend it goes to hope.
Renewed hope for a Majora's Mask remake!
Our investment payed off!

And by the way, Zelda Dungeon is holding another marathon. Every Zelda game, even the terrible CD-i abominations. They're currently playing Four Swords Adventures.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That was only when you did the stick-rotating game!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Exactly.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I've gotta admit, even though I've got nothing against the analogue stick, I've never understood the N64 controller.

It looks like it's made for people with 3 hands, or like a toy spaceship. I like how it's Nintendo being unique, but that's as far as I go.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

That controller has caused many a sore thumb. But I can't bring myself to hate it. The best of the best could be found on the N64 and that controller was the middleman between you and adventure. Games like Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Golden Eye 007, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Party and others basically defined my childhood. I still find myself coming back to the system often.

In fact, I recently ordered a copy of Harvest Moon 64 that I am anxiously waiting for. My first foray into the series was with the Gameboy game and it peeked with the Playstation version: Harvest Moon: Back to Nature. I don't know what it is about the series, but it makes farm management incredibly fun and addicting. Harvest Moon 64 is supposedly the best in the series, so I had to give it a shot rather than play one of the ones I already own. Has anyone else played this series?
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature is one of my favorite games of all time. Like you, I have no idea just what it is that makes the series so fun, but I was addicted to it between the ages of 10-13, and I've come back to it several times since then (including when I was at my friend's house last week; she let me play for a few hours straight). Apparently, it's available in the PSN store for about 5 or 6 bucks, so I will definitely be getting it onto my PS3 as soon as I'm able.

I've also played the Gamecube games, A Wonderful Life and Another Wonderful Life (the female version of the former title). And while they aren't nearly as fun, in my opinion, as BtN, I still enjoyed playing them for quite a while.

Also also: having played the N64 version, I'll say that I wasn't really super impressed. I mean, it's still a great game, but it's basically an early version of BtN. And I personally felt that they just did a lot of things better in its Playstation counterpart. Though I'm probably just biased because I grew up with BtN and didn't play HM64 until about a year or so ago. :)
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
The Grey Wolverine

Sleet wrote:That was only when you did the stick-rotating game!
If you have proof Mario Party cut up your thumbs, Nintendo will send you gloves to this day.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They still do that? I totally want some. Time to go wreck my paws!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Wow, I've always wanted Nintendo gloves. Not to mention, the only company with better customer service is Apple.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

*cuts off Sleet's thumbs*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

GAH NO WAIT I'M A FOX WHY WOULD YOU THINK I HAVE THUMBS.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
HarlequinRed

Post by HarlequinRed »

I honestly thought from the title that it was supposed to be some funny fan content for the games. Never played Amnesia though, just funny watching other people play it.
Call me Red or Harley, either is fine.

Characters:
(BsM)
Mason Castor: S-4 P-4 E-7 C-8 I-6 A-8 L-5
(EC)
Parker Vester: S-9 P-7 E-8 C-5 I-4 A-6 L-3
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:If you have proof Mario Party cut up your thumbs, Nintendo will send you gloves to this day.
They do, and fat lot of good that does me.

- Esquire Fox

The Grey Wolverine

AAAAAAAAA! AAAAAAAAAAAA! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! KILL! KILL!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
exranio

Post by exranio »

It kind of makes me think of a retro omni tool.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

This is a tough choice. IGN released a video discussing the next Zelda game. They ask what you want, and it turns out that Nintendo is also considering an A Link to the Past sequel! :o
If it were between a remake of Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past, Majora would win, but this changes everything.
The Grey Wolverine

They should do a 4 swords adventure for the Wii-U, think about it, you and three friends on a Zelda adventure.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:They should do a 4 swords adventure for the Wii-U, think about it, you and three friends on a Zelda adventure.
That's actually a brilliant idea.

GET ON IT, NINTENDO.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ooh that would be sweet. I love stuff like Four Swords and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:They should do a 4 swords adventure for the Wii-U, think about it, you and three friends on a Zelda adventure.
This idea...so...much...win...*Dies*

Seriously though, I agree that nintendo needs to do something like this. Quick, someone find the number for Shigeru Miyamoto!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

exranio

Post by exranio »

"Coin-Op Eulogy" by Redrapper makes me feel a lot better.

As far as MLG I don't really watch the fighting tournaments on there. First off they only have three games, MK9, KoF XIII, and Soul Caliber. Second there's a stupid long break between every single match. Two people fight, wait 10 minutes, two people fight, wait another 10 minutes. Even worse is like the two hour wait between each different game. Mk ends then I'm ready for KoF then it turns out nope gotta wait. Third the announcers area lot more boring. They aren't nearly as fun or casual as normal FGC announcers. Fourth, there doesn't seem to be any crowd. There's no hype, no reactions, no cheering or anything. Whats up with that?

In the tournaments I watch we have more interesting announcers. Way more games. You don't have to wait between fights as soon as one ends they get the next to guys up there ASAP. A much shorter wait between games that can be 20 minutes at worst. And we actually have a crowd.
The Grey Wolverine

Shirosune wrote:
This idea...so...much...win...*Dies*

Seriously though, I agree that nintendo needs to do something like this. Quick, someone find the number for Shigeru Miyamoto!
Really, they want it to be social, so why not allow co-op Zelda play?
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

I'm very excited for the Wii U. The addition of the touchscreen controller adds so many possibilities to gameplay. Not the least of which is all the local co-op possibilities. Say goodbye to split screen gaming!

But with all the inevitable Nintendo releases such as new Zelda and Mario games, I'm actually most excited for a third-party game. You know what would be a match made in heaven for the Wii U? The sequel to Okami. Think about it: the entire game centers around the use of brushstrokes to solve puzzles and fight enemies. The gamepad is PERFECT for this. Capcom has also already ported the original Okami to the Wii, so they've got the attention of the Nintendo audience.

Unfortunately, despite rave reviews and being my personal favorite game of all time, the original Okami didn't sell too well on neither the PS2 or the Wii. The DS sequel didn't fare too well either. I can't fathom why this series isn't more popular. It is like a re-invention of Zelda in a feudal Japanese setting. If you haven't played the original yet and own either a Wii or PS2, I really recommend hunting down a copy at your local game store or ordering it online. The Wii port retails at a cheap $20. Don't buy it used though; show the developers some love and pay the extra 5 dollars to get a new copy. Trust me, it is worth every penny.
- Esquire Fox

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Okami was fantastic. I think it was just too weird to get much public attention. It's hard to explain why it's good in just a sentence or so without comparing it to Zelda.
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

Sleet wrote:I also was partial to the Gamecube's controller. I think those two were the best traditional controllers of all time.
I was really NEVER a fan of the Gamecube controller, and there is a reason. So, I have a friend named Nick, and Nick had a Gamecube years ago, and his brother gave him a PS2 and an old Xbox his roommate gave him, he liked the Gamecube, didn't have a lot of co-op games, and I owned a PS2 and the games for that, neither of us had many co-op games for it that were that good. And we'd end up playing the Xbox most of the time, because there were more co-op games on it that were good. So, I rarely played the gamecube, and being a Playstation guy up until I hurt my hands(weird story, I might get to that later) I was completly thrown off by the layout of the Gamecube controller, I mean it was weird to use, I had trouble getting used to the button and stick layout, and I really had trouble even just using it in like, Smashbrothers I just couldn't get used to it.
but... the xbox controller is nearly exactly the same as the gamecube controller...

also the WiiU... I want it
Sleet wrote:Okami was fantastic. I think it was just too weird to get much public attention. It's hard to explain why it's good in just a sentence or so without comparing it to Zelda.
that game was soooooooooooo much fun!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:
but... the xbox controller is nearly exactly the same as the gamecube controller...
No offense intended, but calling the xbox controller nearly exactly the same as the gamecube is like calling an apple nearly exactly the same as a pear.

The Gamecube controller has a seemly random layout of buttons. The ABXY buttons are pretty much random, not to mention the Z button was just odd. I mean, why didn't they put the Z button on the right and left side on the controller? Lastly, I really, really disliked the use of C. That might've been just me, but still.

That being said, at least it fit human hands, unlike the first xbox one. The black and white buttons I was unable to even reach, although not many games used them frequently so I guess it was alright. I'm so grateful that controller didn't have buttons on top of the controller, I'd never have reached them. On the bright side, the second generation of controllers pretty much fixed all my problems.

Seriously, the playstation controller was just the best of that generation. It was simple, worked, and proves once you get the formula right once (PS1) you never need to change it again. Even now, the only difference between the PS1 and PS3 controller is how the L2 and R2 are more like car pedals than buttons.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The Gamecube controller wasn't random, it was ergonomic. It acknowledged that all four of the face buttons were not equally used so it arranged them accordingly. But yeah, there should have been two Z buttons, and the C-stick wasn't the best.

I kinda dislike how the Playstation controller hasn't really changed since it was the SNES controller. The others just fit the hands so much better.
exranio

Post by exranio »

So I was looking at Lolipop chainsaw. It's as if some one developed a game just for my taste. It's vulgar and none of what it does should usually work, but it has the style and attitude that makes all the choices work anyway.

Secondly Anarchy Reigns comes out in japan next month and that has been looking awesome. A brawler with some character's from Mad World and a similar soundtrack of great raps.

Thirdly theres a new RPG being made CapcomXBan-DaiXSega. It's an RPG similar to NamcoXCapom or Super Robot Taisen. Just don't expect to recognize any Sega characters other than Ulala. Sega seems to be exclusive using characters from their RPGs and other stuff that never came out anywhere else, although I think one was from Virtua Fighter.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

one thing i hate to say about the new PS3s is how they keep wiping my data. the old Ps3 was much more efficient.

well, at least now i can play Bionic Commando now that Wizardry is out of the way.