Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

KJOokami

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by KJOokami »

Haha, that's beautiful.

I watched a lot of my friends (who had PSPs) play Monster Hunter at school and such. They look like super cool games. :) Never heard of Persona, though. What're those games about?
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Monster Hunter is amazingly addictive, plus I got to kill dragons. Take THAT Skyrim! (also a cool game)

Persona is an rpg where you play as a schoolboy in a town where a bunch of weird stuff like drugs, homicides, and the like are mysteries waiting to be solved. While your school day is filled with making friends and strengthening relations, the time afterward leaves you with solving the true cause of these strange occurrences, going into a different world and fighting with your Persona, pretty much the symbol of your soul that kicks butt. That's what I've gotten from playing Persona 4 at least.
"Rancid - its like a wine or cheese." "Or like roadkill!" ".....or like roadkill...."
Not a dead wizard
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

That actually sounds... really intriguing. Hm. I may have to look these games up and see if I can get a hold of a copy.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

RancidRabbit wrote:Persona is an rpg where you play as a schoolboy in a town where a bunch of weird stuff like drugs, homicides, and the like are mysteries waiting to be solved. While your school day is filled with making friends and strengthening relations, the time afterward leaves you with solving the true cause of these strange occurrences, going into a different world and fighting with your Persona, pretty much the symbol of your soul that kicks butt. That's what I've gotten from playing Persona 4 at least.
Man P4 was strange, good, but strange.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

The funny thing is, Hiimdaisy's comic got me into the game series. Here's a voiced version, they're pretty funny > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUTQKMRLYQ

Also, "Hi I'm Daisy!" but seriously, only now do I find this weird. On topic, they're pretty good games. I'd recommend them for rp type gamers.
"Rancid - its like a wine or cheese." "Or like roadkill!" ".....or like roadkill...."
Not a dead wizard
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Several observations from Super Scribblenauts in the past 24 hours-
  • I don't need any reason to add "giant" to the front of any object
  • Some of the puzzles are designed such that your goal is not to accomplish the goal as it is expressed to you, but rather to give someone else objects so as to accomplish the goal. For example, you don't cure the plague by summoning a doctor to cure the plague. You have to bring a plagued rat to the doctor that's already there to create medicine to cure the disease that you give the girl with the plague, so curing the plague the simple way actually impedes progress.
  • My mount of choice is a flying flaming harmless invincible friendly striped winged shakespearean bison
  • Supper Scribblenauts is as addictive as invisable dinasaurs
I also observed that my DS is showing its age but that's not news.
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I loved the first game. Sadly I never got around to playing the Super version. It sounds like it fixed a lot of the first game's problems!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Sleet wrote:I loved the first game. Sadly I never got around to playing the Super version. It sounds like it fixed a lot of the first game's problems!
I heard others saying that, and since I figured an intense difficulty curve wasn't going to be in store either way, I went ahead and skipped the first installment entirely.

The adjectives are fun to muck around with, even when they aren't technically necessary (certain levels require them, others don't); it's more fun to use a chipper, presidential shovel to dig than a normal one.
Image Image
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Why, I could use a chipper, presidential shovel for the many ditches I need dug! Super Scribblenauts always looked fun, but I'd probably forget I own it.....where's my DS?
Not a dead wizard
The Grey Wolverine

Okay can anyone answer me this, the DSIXL, what was the point? Soon after its creation you know what came out? The 3DS, so it was a pointless item in my opinion.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Nintendo don't give a [non-PG language here]; they do what they want.
The Grey Wolverine

So its one of those moments of Honey Badger don't give a *Blank*
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Precisely. Nintendo knows full well the extent of ----s the Honey Badger gives; and they admire them so that they've modeled their own company after the ideals of the majestic animal.
Last edited by KJOokami on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Okay can anyone answer me this, the DSIXL, what was the point? Soon after its creation you know what came out? The 3DS, so it was a pointless item in my opinion.
The DSiXL was not a "better" DSi. It was made specifically to target older folks with poorer eyesight, or people who have people watching over their shoulders a lot.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

I was awfully ashamed with Nintendo's need to create so many DS variants. I mean, its great they kept up with changing times, but wasn't it a little excessive? No Honey Badger answers! Honey Badger just don't care.
Not a dead wizard
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RancidRabbit wrote:I was awfully ashamed with Nintendo's need to create so many DS variants. I mean, its great they kept up with changing times, but wasn't it a little excessive? No Honey Badger answers! Honey Badger just don't care.
It's not really something to be ashamed of. If you don't like it, just don't buy one. In the entire lifespan of the DS, the original DS was able to play every single DS game that came out. It didn't matter that they made other versions.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

I guess ashamed isn't the right word. It just seems so trivial, but they all served their purpose. Of course I only owned the first one and never found a reason to get a new one. Then again, I'm usually behind on tech since I find little necessity.
Not a dead wizard
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If people buy it, then clearly it's good enough for some people! I don't care if they come out with a new one every week as long as they don't stop supporting older models with software until the true next iteration (the 3DS in this case) comes out!
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

KalloonWhite wrote:Just... just watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlex8ja2eNI
Guh... buh... wha-...
I feel... sorta...
*faints*
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

I was wondering, does anyone here have Pokemon Black/White? I have been itching to battle people for awhile, and as of now, those are the only two games that will connect to the internet >.<
ImageImageImage
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

FORGET BLACK AND WHITE.

NEW POKEMON GAME! POKEMON + SAMURAI + YE OLDE JAPAN = HOLY CRAP AWESOME!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

there is a new one coming out.......?
ImageImageImage
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

DismayWolf wrote:there is a new one coming out.......?
YEEEEEES ;D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It lets you reenact actual battles from ancient Japan.

So here's this giant enemy Krabby...
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I have Pokemon White (I think I said earlier that I'd bought Black, but I actually got White so I could get the black dragon), but I haven't touched it in months. I think I burned myself out by trying to EV train a particular team by hand after I'd beaten the main storyline.

I'm really kinda mad that they took out the VS Seeker from Fire Red and Leaf Green. It was the only game that they really used an effective system for rebattling trainers (unless they had something similar in the 4th Gen games; I never played those). I've spent most of my time after the main storyline finished battling random wild Pokemon over and over again, and it's pretty freakin' boring, I've gotta say. -.-
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

One recurring problem I have with Pokémon games is the lack of endgame content that's actually worth anything. There's the Battle [Whatever], but that's no experience and often requires your Pokémon to be level 100 to be effective. How do you get to level 100? They should make there be enough content to get a team that high rather than grinding level 60-something Pokémon.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

They almost had something like that in the original Gold, Silver, and Crystal versions with Red being at the top of Mt. Silver, though they didn't really provide anything more than Elite 4 grinding for 20 levels in order to get your Pokemon high enough to take him on.

It's still my favorite generation of Pokemon games for the simple fact that it covered multiple regions and made the game last longer. If they had made the level difference between each gym leader a little bigger and had Red's Pokemon all be in the low to mid 90s, then they could have made the game significantly more engaging and quite a bit more towards what you're talking about.
McFly

Post by McFly »

This discussion is making me want to buy another one of their games. ;)
The last one I bought was Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness and I haven't played it since mid-summer.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

currently completely addicted to my copy of supersmash Brothers melee
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Mettlebird
Location: I heard a lot of shouting and stuff, then I got shoved into a car. Where to this time?

Post by Mettlebird »

I like the LOZ series more than any other games. :3 I find most other video games (BESIDES MINECRAFT) to be...not up to par to my tastes. I much prefer third-person view dungeon-style RPG like the LOZ series (excluding Link's Crossbow Training') has always been. I simply love the series as a whole!

I honestly don't find any other video games nearly as attractive or fun as the Zelda series.

But I also love the Pokemon series, excluding the most recent ones, for the most part.

The best Pokemon games were for the Gameboy Color. Personally, my favorite was Crystal version. I haz it and I play it sometimes. :3
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I never really got into the Zelda games. Mostly because my parents were never into games much at all, and I never had an N64 growing up. I got a Gameboy Color at age 7, and I got my PS1 not long after. Played a lot of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, a little Crash Bandicoot, an old Scooby Doo game (Cyber Chase, I think), and for whatever reason I kinda enjoyed playing my little sister's copy of a Barbie horse-riding game. Aside from that, I mostly played MS:DOS games and various random titles from the 90s on PC.

I recently tried playing Ocarina of Time at a friend's house (they grew up playing Zelda, of course), but I really couldn't get myself into it. I think the graphics kinda killed it for me. I mean, I can play games with less-than-optimal graphics (they were good at the time, I know), but only if that game holds some kind of nostalgic or sentimental value to me.

Though I do feel that I didn't quite give it a fair chance because I only played for a couple hours, and the whole time my friend was telling me about how "awesome" this game was, and how they'd played through it a million times when they were younger, and they had the whole game memorized, and any time I didn't figure out one of the puzzles within 5 minutes they'd ask me if I wanted them to just tell me how to do it... ugh. It was unpleasant.

I think I should just get my own copy so I can play through the game at my own pace, make mistakes, and figure things out for myself. I'll probably enjoy it a lot more that way.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Crystal version is great 'cause you can play as a girl for once!
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

Sleet wrote:One recurring problem I have with Pokémon games is the lack of endgame content that's actually worth anything. There's the Battle [Whatever], but that's no experience and often requires your Pokémon to be level 100 to be effective. How do you get to level 100? They should make there be enough content to get a team that high rather than grinding level 60-something Pokémon.
Well, there is the continuing pumil of the Elite Four and Champion

Though what I do, is when I beat the Elite Four with my main team, I take the lvl 70 in the game, (or transfer one that is already high level) and battle the Elite Four over and over, using Exp. Share on another pokemon to lvl it up and evolve to complete the pokedex. Though I get what you are saying, but in Wifi battle you have the option of lvl 50 or lvl 100, which makes all your pokemon that lvl. And to carry on about the training with an already high pokemon, in Sapphire I used my Rayquaza, Latias, and because I didn't know how the thing evolved, a Clampearl. When I had finally completed the entire pokedex, Rayquaza was lvl 100, Latias lvl 90, and Clampearl was lvl 83 (imagine my rage when i found out how to evolve it into Huntail >:U)
ImageImageImage
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

In pokemon games, I play as the best looking gender! Because sometimes the femal character looks dumb or the male is just awesome looking!

-In Firered/Leafgreen I played as Red. HE'S SO CUTE~

-In Crystal I played as Kris/Crystal because..."You gotta have blue hair" and in the remakes I played as Gold/Ethan as Lyra/Heart looked so idiotic with those massive bananas growing out of her skull .-.

-I played as May/Sapphire. Bredan/Ruby's hat confused me D:

-Dawn/Platinum was adorable! I had to! :3

-I played as White/Hilda, but I love Black/Hilbert equally~

What about you guys?
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

I played Kris in Crystal

May in Sapphire, Brenden in Emerald and Ruby

Green (the female) in leaf green, and Red in Fire red

Boys ever since after that
ImageImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

zeldakeeper wrote:In pokemon games, I play as the best looking gender! Because sometimes the femal character looks dumb or the male is just awesome looking!

-In Firered/Leafgreen I played as Red. HE'S SO CUTE~

-In Crystal I played as Kris/Crystal because..."You gotta have blue hair" and in the remakes I played as Gold/Ethan as Lyra/Heart looked so idiotic with those massive bananas growing out of her skull .-.

-I played as May/Sapphire. Bredan/Ruby's hat confused me D:

-Dawn/Platinum was adorable! I had to! :3

-I played as White/Hilda, but I love Black/Hilbert equally~

What about you guys?
I do that too! I played Red, then Kris, then I couldn't decide in Ruby/Sapphire so I chose my own gender. Then I chose Dawn, then Black. Yay confusion~
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

I usually played as the male since to me it didn't really matter. I mean, I play it for the pokemon battle and my obsessive need to collect 100% of everything in most games I play. However, if it is an rpg, I'll usually play as both genders for those tiny little changes in dialogue that make me laugh (or creep me out O.O) Like Elder Scroll or Mass Effect games where they'll actually have different stock lines between the genders, but mostly that just ended up with a bunch of double-takes and fear. Some mental scaring too with the latter.....
Not a dead wizard
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

In FireRed and LeafGreen I don't think there are any dialog changes. Which makes Celadon Gym rather... interesting. *laughs*
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

And the Beta finally arrives :D

http://www.planetside2.com/

Join the NC,guys. i <3 fighting for freedom!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

I couldn't stop laughing when I watched my friend challenge Erika as (she was playing as Leaf/Green/Blue/Whatever) and one of the Gym Trainers says "What are you doing here? Only real women are allowed in this gym!"