Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

exranio

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by exranio »

I think you mean
What a Twister!
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I've been meaning to see if Valve had a Portal demo for to try for a while, and lucky me showed up during one of the windows in which it's free (which is to say, right now). So, on the chance that my computer will run it (it's a bit jam-packed at the moment) I've just decided on a whim to have a go at it. Heaven knows I don't have enough things to distract me at the moment.

So I guess I'm trying to get my "true interneteer" badge or something?

I also accidentally told Steam that I had a terrible internet connection so it estimated that it would take 3 days to download, which made me chuckle a bit.
Image Image
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

Well you can always change that you know.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I'm aware, I just found the estimation amusing.
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The original Portal is an amazing game, destined to be a classic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

I love playing the challenge maps. And with all the cake theme achievements they're giving me I'll look very healthy.
Mareks

Post by Mareks »

I DLed Portal too, played through it, just to have it freeze and lag on me when I was about to deliver the finishing blow to GLaDOS. :/ Was looping the line "no cake". I felt like I was being trolled.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

So tomorrow the New Vegas DLC "Lonesome Road" comes out. I am going to buy it because I love that game so much. Ill let you guys know how it is.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
FuhrerVonZephyr

Post by FuhrerVonZephyr »

I just realized that the morality of Disgaea protagonists seem to flip with every game.
Last edited by FuhrerVonZephyr on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey guys! I make art!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Mareks wrote:I DLed Portal too, played through it, just to have it freeze and lag on me when I was about to deliver the finishing blow to GLaDOS. :/ Was looping the line "no cake". I felt like I was being trolled.
I have to say, so far the most frustrating puzzle has been getting the game to run correctly. The compatibility issues are ridiculous, and, unless my machine is a heap of junk and a crime against the nature of computing, it would seem overlooked. Firstly, it's become clear that game distribution is Steam's secondary objective; it's primary objective is to screw with your audio setup. When I started the game first, it played through the computers' speakers. I changed it to headphones in the options menu, which did nothing, so I restarted the game a couple times. Three or so freezes at the startup screen later, I decided I should just take the easy route and restart my computer. I also looked up some possible problems, and made the adjustments I thought might be necessary. I opened the game and it ran just like it should, and I was having fun with it for about two hours. Then, without thinking it might cause problems, I minimized the window for some reason I can't be bothered to remember. The game wouldn't start back up again, but that wasn't a big deal, because it saves itself often enough to avoid anything much going missing. What was a problem was that the sound has decided to play through the speakers again, and every time I start the game it reverts to the speaker setting as though I hadn't changed it- not that it matters, since it plays through the speakers regardless of what the menu says anyhow, and now, after looking at my volume settings, it appears that my two options for sound are "play all sounds through speakers" or "play nothing at all". I can activate my headphones and set them as the default device, but that appears to be, just as with the in-game menu, a cosmetic change only. So, as it stands now, my headphones work, in theory, except the applications that it says have volume don't, and will only have volume if I go into the mixer for the speakers, which is there even though I've specifically told it that I don't want it to be.

All that to say, it's a good game clumsily prefaced by an unnecessarily complicated startup procedure that involves freezing a couple times and then messing up the sound on my computer for no good reason.

Now that I've finished being mad about that, though, I can actually talk about the game itself, and I like it. I've spent probably two and a half hours in it so far, but a disproportionate amount of that was just mucking around rather than actually trying to solve the puzzles. I've just started Chamber 18 which, based on my rough idea of the game's length, is somewhere around two thirds of the way through? I don't know, I'll find out soon enough.

I think the only thing I really don't like is that I have so much prior knowledge of the game that I know what to expect, which definitely detracts from the experience, but that's not the fault of the game itself.

Oh, it also has one of the most powerful Tetris Effects I've ever seen.
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So much of it got out through popcultural osmosis. I pity those like you who couldn't play the game until after it was a huge thing. :(
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I'd much rather not know what's coming around the corner, but on the other hand without popcultural osmosis I might not have ever heard of it at all, so oh well.
Image Image
exranio

Post by exranio »

I don't play mine craft anymore because of Ender man.
Without mobs is boring , but with enderman is annoying. The normal mobs already scare me enough.

Nice work breaking it hero.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

Hey Listen! I got Zelda OOT on sunday. I already have found 2 of those there sages.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Heh. i just got beaten the original LoZ and moving onto the Adventures of Link. OoT is included in my Zelda collection, and so is Majora's Mask. but i plan on beating the N64 Zelda games soon since i never beat them before. but so many memories of the NES days. <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

Perhaps there is a change on a new Smash Bros game after all.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't believe that's real. And it wouldn't be a change; there is no working title yet.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Dude it's been announced for a while. Nintendo is working on the fourth game for the WiiU and 3DS to play online together. They have released almost no details aside from that.

But yes it is completely official that the fourth game is under development
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I know it's been announced for a while, but not a name, right?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok what are some games you are bad at but love to play anyway? For me its Tetris I love playing it, I actually find it kind of relaxing, but I suck at it. Fighting games are another one except they aren't relaxing and I'm not nearly as bad at them.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

pretty much any game. I just got last place in a 5 person Mortal Kombat tournament.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
exranio

Post by exranio »

I'll probably start winning some matches if I get an Arcade controller. I play Blaz Blue as Rachel and Carl and loose all the time.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

IceKitsune wrote:Ok what are some games you are bad at but love to play anyway? For me its Tetris I love playing it, I actually find it kind of relaxing, but I suck at it. Fighting games are another one except they aren't relaxing and I'm not nearly as bad at them.
Rise of Nations and, to a lesser extent, Starcraft II. I could kick a lot of your tails in Starcraft II but that doesn't mean I'm anywhere near as good as I should be with how much I've played; real-time strategy games just don't come naturally to me.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

IceKitsune wrote:Ok what are some games you are bad at but love to play anyway? For me its Tetris I love playing it, I actually find it kind of relaxing, but I suck at it. Fighting games are another one except they aren't relaxing and I'm not nearly as bad at them.
I've gotta say WoW and Runescape, as well as more or less any other MMORPG. I enjoy playing them for socializing with friends, but I can't play the game that well. WoW in particular, PVP almost throws me, and I'm always worst DPS in instances (unless I'm playing my arms warrior).
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

44R0NM10 wrote:
I've gotta say WoW and Runescape, as well as more or less any other MMORPG. I enjoy playing them for socializing with friends, but I can't play the game that well. WoW in particular, PVP almost throws me, and I'm always worst DPS in instances (unless I'm playing my arms warrior).
I often get highest damage per second in that game in PvE. (I build for fighting monsters instead of other players) However......from what I think Aaron is saying, PvP in an MMO, I am so terrible at that it is not fun at all. ^^;
There is no actual game I can think of though that I am particularly bad at, because I tend to improve if I do like them. Marble Madness is the first game that comes to mind however.

I have edited this message like 7 times because it keeps feeling like I am saying something bad or sound like bragging, so please if it does sound bad, look past it.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

I'm completely awful at Starcraft 2. Wish I could be better but...It's just too much. hahaha. I try to play a bunch of ladder, lose because of something stupid I didn't do that I should have, and quit for another few months.

I make up for that by being a Rockstar in WoW. But that's me bragging. I still have huge amounts of improvement I can do there.
Zander

Post by Zander »

Anyone up for minecraft? Me and my friend are playing and would like some more company.

No Himachi x3
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
exranio

Post by exranio »

I just bought Street Fighter III HD

BRING IT ON!
The Grey Wolverine

So got Dead Island yesterday and I do ave this to say, its fun co-op zombie fighting when you have friends with the game. Loads of fun :) .
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

I vant Dead Island!
ZE DOCTOR VANTS ORGANS!!!
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
NogitsuneGabriel

Post by NogitsuneGabriel »

Found a copy of Time Crisis: Razing Storm for dirt cheap.
The main game is pretty terrible, but Time Crisis 4 and Deadstorm Pirates redeemed it.

Now I want a home version of House of the Dead 4.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Gentlemen I brign awesome news

Atlus (makers of the shin megami tensie series) and Arcyss (guilty gear and blaz blue)
are making a Persona 4 fighting game!

If this is not the awesomest thing in the last week I don't know what is.
Zander

Post by Zander »

What is persona 4?

*bricked*
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
FuhrerVonZephyr

Post by FuhrerVonZephyr »

Oh, just the greatest JRPG/murder mystery game ever made for the PS2.

Here's the Wikipedia link.
Hey guys! I make art!
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

They're also making Persona 4 The Golden, which is a PSPVita remake of Persona 4 with new content, including costumes and a halloween event!
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
exranio

Post by exranio »

I would like to politlely remind everyone

Rail shooters are not First Person Shooters. They are Rail Shooters!
NogitsuneGabriel

Post by NogitsuneGabriel »

That kinda relates to one of the problems I had with Time Crisis: Razing Storm. Arcade Mode was a pure Rail Shooter, but Story mode was an FPS that acted like a Rail Shooter.
You could freely move around and at certain places you could tilt your controller and hide behind cover like in the arcade game, but the enemies would stand in the open asking to be shot and the cover system only works when it feels like it. I wished it was on rails.

In Persona news, there's also going to be a Persona 4 Anime this October.
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

Has anyone else noticed that sonic characters are getting anime voice actors? I've noticed!
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
The Grey Wolverine

I'm just going to leave this as a warning to others:
Do not buy one of those neck microphones. I got one for my 360 and it is crap. It amplifies my voice so I have to whisper in order to sound like I'm talking normally, and it severely distorts my voice so nobody can understand me. All in all, cool idea, but terrible product.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

KalloonWhite wrote:Has anyone else noticed that sonic characters are getting anime voice actors? I've noticed!
Sonic = Chris Redfield.

At first, I was hesitant, but I think he'll do a good job. Whilst Resident Evil 5 wasn't scary at all, I can't deny I found the story and actors rather good.