What are some must read comics?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

LavenderBirch

What are some must read comics?

Post by LavenderBirch »

whether it be single issue, an entire series, or trade paperback im interested. some of my favorites are judge dredd, batman, spider-man, and the star wars comics, but im open to trying new stuff
The Blue Fox

Re: What are some must read comics?

Post by The Blue Fox »

I take it webcomics other than Housepets can be suggested as well?

First of all, what other webcomics are you already following, so I don't suggest something you already know about?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can only suggest one other webcomic because I only read two of them and that would be Slightly Damned. Not sure if you read it already though.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Best one's I recommend are the following:
- Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire
- DC/Looney Tunes Crossover (Seriously, these are great comics, especially Batman Meets Elmer Fudd)
- The Mass Effect comics are good as well
- Watchmen
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

The Dark Knight Returns
Superman: Secret Identity
Kelly Jones's Batman run
Batman: The Killing Joke
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
Ultimate Spider-Man
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The three volumes in the series "Captain Briatain and MI:13" are pretty great reads.

Volume 1. Secret Invasion. As part of the Secret Invasion event, the Skrulls invade Britain and Avalon, the home of Magic. Pete Wisdom, mutant head of MI:13 assembles a team to fight back. Black Knight is with the army on Westminster Bridge, Spitfire - (the vampire superspeeding heroine) , John (a Skrull who likes Humans)and Captain Britain head for Avalon. But the Skrulls have already beaten all the good magic there and, with Cap dead, Wisdom only has one hope left. The Evil Magics...

Volume 2. Hell comes to Birmingham. After Volume 1, Evil is loose again. Wisdom's response team - Spitfire, Black Knight, a resurrected Captain who has a whole new power set, Doctor Faiza Hussein (who has a really cool and disgusting mutant power for a doctor and wields Excalibur) and John must react when a Demon Duke makes a play. First they need to meet a new team member. It might not go so well for one of their number, though. The new member is Blade the Vampire Hunter.

Volume 3. Vampire state. Dracula has come for Britain. He has an army of thousands and he has magic on his side. Wisdom has to outsmart one of the best tactitioners in history in what is possibly the best Vampire vs Superhero thrillers (and I REALLY mean that one) in comics...

It's not essential to read all three but a trick played in Vampire State will make more sense if you've read volume 2.
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Usagi Yojimbo - a slice of Japanese history told in zany style, hand drawn brilliance.
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have to admit that the only reason why I got interested in that one is because he was a recurring character on the three TMNT shows that I watched (1987, 2003 and 2012). I liked his 2003 version the best.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Been a whike since I saw any TMNT I must admit I didnt know of the connection till I read the Usagi comic.
asaguda

Post by asaguda »

https://www.wildelifecomic.com Wilde Life. A comic about an ordinary Man-Man named Oscar who moves into a town that is much less ordinary. An excellent read because the artist can foreshadow stuff years in advance and you'd never know it unless you notice, or read a comic from one of the eagle-eyed readers who do. And the artist throws curveballs. All the time. No one can seem to figure out what surprise will be next, only that there will be surprises. An absolutely excellent read.

https://www.valsalia.com/ Out-of-Placers is also good. At times it is much more silly than serious, but much like Wilde Life, it has some serious world building to it. It deals with a character's difficulties getting used to living life in a new way, and heavily features custom critters, mainly yinglets. Lanky, silly lil things. This comic can be suggestive at times.

If any of you already read these, or try them on this recommendation, I'd love to hear what you think. :D
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

One proviso about wildelife. It's a great comic but it IS a Horror comic. There are spaces - intermittent throughout the history - where it can turn dark. (Then there are stories about a boy ghost just needing some help to find his dog...)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If I ever do take a gander at it I will be sure to keep that in mind. Though the boy ghost looking for his dog might actually get me really emotional.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

asaguda wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:56 am https://www.wildelifecomic.com Wilde Life. A comic about an ordinary Man-Man named Oscar who moves into a town that is much less ordinary. An excellent read because the artist can foreshadow stuff years in advance and you'd never know it unless you notice, or read a comic from one of the eagle-eyed readers who do. And the artist throws curveballs. All the time. No one can seem to figure out what surprise will be next, only that there will be surprises. An absolutely excellent read.

https://www.valsalia.com/ Out-of-Placers is also good. At times it is much more silly than serious, but much like Wilde Life, it has some serious world building to it. It deals with a character's difficulties getting used to living life in a new way, and heavily features custom critters, mainly yinglets. Lanky, silly lil things. This comic can be suggestive at times.

If any of you already read these, or try them on this recommendation, I'd love to hear what you think. :D
Well, started having a look through out-of-placers from the beginning, not come across this one before, the Yinglets seem an intriguing bunch, a different comic, quite zany which I'm not usually a fan of but it somehow works here. lots of creativity gone into these various species I feel.