What is three twins?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

DontWorryYourHead

What is three twins?

Post by DontWorryYourHead »

Greetings all! This topic is perhaps a little indulgent but asking the question is what pushed me towards making an account on the forum so I can't very well not ask it without having to question why I'm here in the first place. I've been reading through the archives and one of the strips raised a question that didn't have an immediate answer but proved to be relatively sound fodder for conversation.

In the seminal work Though Creepy Twins are Fine, Griffin regales the reader with musings on some horror movie tropes. I'd like to draw your attention to the alt-text, which reads,
The 'actual evil' coefficient drops sharply after the third twin, not even counting the 'only a lookalike' fraction
The astutely pedantic are sure to recognize the semantic wrinkle: the third twin can't be a twin, they would have to be, at least, a triplet (not even counting the 'only a lookalike' factor). The sentiment is actually almost impossible to state in a way that feels satisfying. At first it seems the only absolutely correct syntax would be "After the third sibling from the same pregnancy," which actually LOSES lexical information because there's no reference to the creepy twin trope in question (or the fact that the Bigglesworths aren't biological "twins" in the traditional sense). We don't call them creepy siblings from the same pregnancy.

What we would really want for the application-nay, what I think we all deserve-is a hypernym for twins and triplets and quadruplets. For example, if you have nieces and nephews that you have to refer to a lot, you might have already discovered the incredibly practical and easy to intuit word "nibling," apparently coined on this side of the last century. We have a few contenders:

First of all, particularly in this context, the word "littermate" is a godsend, but I don't think the joke in "The 'actual evil' coefficient drops sharply after the third littermate" really parses at all. We could also backform something. I took the "ump" from the word "umpteen" and made "umplet," which I think is delightful, but strictly speaking is a germanic prefix and a romance suffix so we might be able to do better. I think the native English formation for triplet would be "threeling" which is very cute but doesn't get us any closer unless you accept "umpling" as a word which... I can't decide whether that's cute or ugly. We could also just accept that the invented meaning of twin is clear in contexts like this but then how would I spend my Friday nights.

So! Anyone have any ideas? Do we have any people in the medical or midwifery business and know whether there's a technical term? I really hope it's not n-plet. Does anyone know of a non-english language that has a general word for siblings born from the same pregnancy? Are there any other similar perils you've run into when trying to speak this demonic language?

(@Mod, is this the sort of thing that would be more suited for being posted in the chat thread? I'm not sure how one would make that judgement call)
ALL his memories
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: What is three twins?

Post by Obbl »

DontWorryYourHead wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:16 am (@Mod, is this the sort of thing that would be more suited for being posted in the chat thread? I'm not sure how one would make that judgement call)
Probably, but meh, I'll allow it :P For future reference, feel free to PM a mod if you ever want to get something like that cleared up before you post ^^
Seems that the issue is that we most commonly have one child at a time, so there's no human word for a litter. I fully support 3rd twin though, cause if language usage had an alignment chart I'd very much be chaotic :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

6?
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Three twins?
Seems pretty clear.
Two mothers and one of them's still in labour :lol:

In seriousness I think Rick was just being funny, because when you get technical "twins" specifically refers to 2, and not any other number. If you have triplets, calling them "twins" would be as incorrect as saying 3 = 2. Even if one of them ended up dying afterwards I think it would still be incorrect to call the remaining two babies "twins", because all that matters is that there were three of them at birth.
I don't think it even matters how many were in the womb during the pregnancy. Strange things can happen in pregnancy, like one embryo "eating" the other... and then you can get one person with two completely different sets of DNA! Incredible stuff. I'll stop rambling now.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Did this question ever get answered?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that it ever has been no. Plus the user that posted it isn't on the forum anymore.