Is everyone doing alright?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Is everyone doing alright?

Post by NHWestoN »

We're also sticking close to home. Last week, our choir director came down with a "mild case" of Covid (IF a potentially fatal disease can ever be called "mild"), and he's home with his parents, brother, sister, and an aunt. Mom and brother have it, too, and auntie is sort of stuck there until her situation gets clarified. (She lives in Connecticut and could probably travel but wants to be tested first; it's complicated and kinda unclear).

I've seen times of anger and division in the country before; they seem to go in cycles. The worst was in the 1965-1975 "decade", fueled partly by the Vietnam War. What's new for me is just how very pervasive the resentment and paranoia have become. Perhaps the election will rachet down the temperature, but the crises of the plague, the environment, electoral shinanigans, and a "winners-losers" economy will remain for some time.

For this geezer, The old Chinese curse - "May you live in interesting times" - forms the Yang to the Yin of my old First Sargeant's exhortation, "You gotta keep reminding yourself, "This sh*t ENDS!!"

Be well and stay safe.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really am hoping that they are getting closer to finding a vaccine or something to prevent it from being less aggressive. The fact that a second wave is coming now kind of depresses me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm kind of afraid that, even if they do, our situation will become like it is with influenza. We will need regular inoculations once or twice a year, the Covid will continue to evolve so that the immunizations will need constant updating, many people will remain vulnerable to some degree because of their own weaknesses, from resistance to vaccination by a significant portion of the population, and periodic unforeseen super-spreader events. We will, eventually, collectively "decide" that society will accept a certain number of annual casualties as the price of a "normal" life. Even then, the impact on our public health and hospital situation will be tragically corrosive.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is really horrifyingly depressing. Like it is seriously worse than what I was gonna post which is that our state (Rhode Island) has now had to announce new restrictions since cases are spiking here.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:55 am That is really horrifyingly depressing. Like it is seriously worse than what I was gonna post which is that our state (Rhode Island) has now had to announce new restrictions since cases are spiking here.
Yeah it is. Hope I'm seriously WRONG!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I try to tell myself that everything will be OK after a certain event happens which I can't really say here since it is against the rules that things will get better but I'm wondering if I am just deluding myself.
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

My state has officially locked down houses to no more than 6 people in a household for gatherings. (Unless there was already more than 6 living in one house, not much to be done for that). There’s some pretty strict fines for violating the lockdown too.

On the one hand, I’m happy my state is cracking down on this and taking the choice away from idiots who would rather endanger others for their own convenience.

On the other hand... this basically means Thanksgiving is canceled. So... currently processing that. We’re still gonna have a big dinner, just for our immediate family and zoom-calling all the other family cells. A Thanksgiving On-Line.
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It hasn't gotten that bad over here yet in Rhode Island with our governor just limiting gatherings to 10 people from 15 in a house and encouraging neighbors to tell on others and if you get caught then you get fined $1,000 for everybody that was in the house even those that got there first. So if you had 11 people, that would be an $11,000 fine.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Things are also getting worse in New Hampshire, between the cold coming in and the "Face Mask Wars" heating up. Assisted living facilities are particularly getting hard hit but so are "essential workers" in the public arena. Winter has a way of convincing people to "shelter-in-place" but with the economy starting to contract again, the anxiety level is rising, too.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just heard some good news about our state of Rhode Island so that is something to hold onto even when things get bleak. Apparently we are one of the states that they want to test the Pfizer vaccine on so maybe it the Coronavirus won't get worse.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, my daughter and her husband passed through the Covid, Sophie had a good check-up at the vets, my dental implants are over, and the driveway is cleared off. Yeah, we're okay. :)
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Good to hear NHWeston. Circumstances here have meant a change of plans for Christmas and nationsl cases are rising alarmingly but we are all fine fingers crossed. Hope you are all o.k.
Daunted
Disproportionately Dappled
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

That's great to hear, Weston. My brother got over Covid recently, too. He's doing well now and the rest of us never got sick. I'm so very relieved!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think I will be fully alright once this plague is over and I don't have to wear a mask everywhere and worry about possibly getting people sick and killing them.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Me too, Amazee. Fortunately the daily number of new cases are going down fast in Wisconsin, hopefully the rest of the country (and world!) will quickly follow too. I am concerned about that new strain in the UK, though.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Had an emotional breakdown the other day regarding my mom (details in joys and sorrows from a few days back), but was able to get it together after a night. Have to take things as they come, and know that we’re all in this together. I’m trying to distract myself from the situation wherever I can.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:27 pm Had an emotional breakdown the other day regarding my mom (details in joys and sorrows from a few days back), but was able to get it together after a night. Have to take things as they come, and know that we’re all in this together. I’m trying to distract myself from the situation wherever I can.
Sometimes a breakdown is a blessed catharsis, just getting all that anguish and pain out of your system so you can refocus on the works you're given to do. My parents left me quickly so I was spared what you are enduring D, but I've shared the scourge others have endured in your circumstances. I'm sorry for what you are enduring. You have my prayers, sir. Stay with us, too.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I honestly hope my parents never end up leaving me in a slow and drawn-out way because I would have a full-on nervous breakdown. I will let them go when I finally am able to take care of myself.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:04 am I honestly hope my parents never end up leaving me in a slow and drawn-out way because I would have a full-on nervous breakdown. I will let them go when I finally am able to take care of myself.
For you, too, I hope so. You are wise to prepare yourself, Amazz.
Even so, Merry Christmas, chum.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Topo bad I have no clue how to prepare and if my mother dies I am screwed.

My father will just throw me to the wolves.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:07 pm Topo bad I have no clue how to prepare and if my mother dies I am screwed.

My father will just throw me to the wolves.
Well, perhaps when the holidays are passed, maybe in mid-January, you could try talking to your parents about these anxieties and ask them to help you make just-in-case plans. With all the turmoil you've had this year, I'm sure they sense you have some reasonable worries about your future. That kind of planning is something parents do.

Hope you have some joy tomorrow Christmas. Good night, Amazz.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Right now the only thing we are focusing on is trying to meet up with ORS so I can get a job to work.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:55 am Right now the only thing we are focusing on is trying to meet up with ORS so I can get a job to work.
Good luck there - by the way, sorry to be naive, what's ORS if I may ask?
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:27 pm
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:55 am Right now the only thing we are focusing on is trying to meet up with ORS so I can get a job to work.
Good luck there - by the way, sorry to be naive, what's ORS if I may ask?
Office of Rehabilitation Services if I had to guess.

I'm doing about as well as I can be, a friend's mom just passed away three days ago though... and I'm stuck here at home, only leaving to go to work [and no, I can't do my job virtually otherwise I would]. Kinda stressful but I'm holding together.

How about you folks?
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yes that is correct. ORS does mean "Office of Rehabilitation Services" and they help people like me who have issues that would prevent them from getting a job. Mine is I'm on the Autistic spectrum. But they haven't been able to help me because of the pandemic we are in so face-to-face is not possible and they really aren't gonna be effective doing a video chat.

As for me, I think I am doing a little bit better. Christmas was kind of a letdown because as I predicted nobody came over except my sibling, her boyfriend and my aunt and they didn't stay very long. At least I got to go to my other aunt's house and spend time with them. I'm a bit more excited because my sister and her boyfriend are gonna come in and spend some time with us.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, six weeks and a good snow storm later, not bad. Nobody in our circle has gotten sick but then nobody's gotten the vaccine yet. A lot of folks, (us included) have had two sign-ons and been dropped twice. I guess, sooner or later, they'll figure it out. A little trickier than building Sherman tanks, I guess.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:27 pm Had an emotional breakdown the other day regarding my mom (details in joys and sorrows from a few days back), but was able to get it together after a night. Have to take things as they come, and know that we’re all in this together. I’m trying to distract myself from the situation wherever I can.
I know you're all right now (it's been two months since you posted this) but I had a strange feeling you just needed to hear this; "Everything's gonna be fine".
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, good news is that it seems the infection was purged, but my mom is currently now in a physical rehab center, as it seems the combination of the medicines needed and the effects of the infection made her weakening ability to walk from all of her chemo to leave her unable to at all. She has been gaining strength in the time she’s been there, such as moving lifting herself up and knitting, but walking is her ultimate goal right now. Still, this is a great improvement over the past few weeks.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I still am hopeful that this virus is gonna be contained soon and everything will be back to normal but I still can't help but feel like things will never be normal again. If that makes sense.
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

Well, little bit of good news. My household got our second vaccination today. In a couple weeks, we’ll be completely immunized... for the current strain, at least.
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The way you say that makes me feel we are gonna get hit by ANOTHER strain that we won't have a vaccine against and I just can't deal with that.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sadly, viruses mutate - dang `em.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Got my second vaccine booked, looks like the vaccines are still effective against current variants (fingers crossed). Virus mutations are par for the course it seems.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

How y'all doin maybe a month or so later?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Pretty good here. How about you, Jay? Been a while. You okay, chum?
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

In the grand scheme of things? yes, I'm doing alright I think. In the short term I had a bit of a fall and skinned up my knee pretty bad, but its nothing that's terribly concerning, just hurts and such. However, its good to hear you're doing Good!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I'm good, looking forward to some holidays over the Summer, reading shadows of the apt and bambi.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

DDeer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm I'm good, looking forward to some holidays over the Summer, reading shadows of the apt and bambi.
Shadows of the apartment sounds like a post-modern RPG. what it about?

Also, what holidays?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Came back from seeing my grandparents who are frail and we were staying at a beautiful hotel. There were a few hitches though. On the way up I was battling a headache and we left LATER and got caught in traffic in New Hampshire and Massachusetts because my mother thought she lost her keys. Turns out she threw them in our s'mores bag which was the first thing packed. :mrgreen:
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:16 pm
DDeer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm I'm good, looking forward to some holidays over the Summer, reading shadows of the apt and bambi.
Shadows of the apartment sounds like a post-modern RPG. what it about?

Also, what holidays?
Going to a few places, hoping to do some bodyboarding on the beach (wetsuits are the best invention ever).

Shadows of the Apt is a 10 book series by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the premise is a steampunk style world (airships, clockwork ornithopters et al.) that features different anthro insect kinden species, these all have different "arts", wasps can shoot stings from their hands, ants can communicate telepathically, flys can, well, fly, you get the idea. Sounds a bit odd but works really well, detailed, epic, character driven stories that are easy to fly through, up to book 4 at the moment, would recommend. The main premise it that the Wasps are currently acting a bit like the Roman empire and everyone else is banding together to stop them.

Would a great RPG or film come to think of it.