You first webcomic,

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

furrygamer793

You first webcomic,

Post by furrygamer793 »

Simple, you can talk about the first webcomic you read and stuff (that is relevant), if a forum like this exists than someone can tell me,
my first webcomic was Eeveelution squad. Discuss other people's first and tell yours!
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: You first webcomic,

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

wow that'll go back a ways. I'm pretty sure my first was the Megaman sprite comic Bob and George
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It was a sprite comic about a forum that I joined up with long ago that is long since gone. This was in 2006.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I don't remember exactly which one was first, but I think it was Order of the Stick.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

first would be Ozy and Millie, after that I ran across Bob and George a few months later.
though the ones that have been on my favorites list the longest would be DMFA CRFH EGS and shivae!
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I want to say mine was Over Mountains and Far Away on DeviantArt, now since discontinued. While it was going, I found Sandra and Woo, now since grown disinterested in it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Truthfully, I don't remember … I tend to lose interest. Webcomics, however, have gotten a lot better over the years but none have held my interest as fervently as Housepets!. I mean, sheesh, I'm even participating in a fan forum.... :o
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My first webcomic was Eight Bit Theater. I found it indirectly through reading about Homestar Runner, which my sister's then-boyfriend introduced me to when I was like 10.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I think Housepets was actually the first web comic I really got into. Everything else kinda fell into place after that.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Liam

Post by Liam »

If I had to reconstruct how I found TwoKinds my best guess would be through the manga connection.

...man, that's still running?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Housepets was my first and it opened the door to a bunch of others.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I think my first was Shortpacked.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Legotron123 wrote:I think my first was Shortpacked.
Roomies was better, i always felt the sequel (It's Walky) and spinoffs (Joice & Walky, Shortpacked) never really managed to hit that same sweet spot between comedic and dramatic. though not for a lack of trying.

for that matter the comics that can incorporate both and find an equilibrium, rather than wandering further in one direction or the other than is ideal, are few and far between. the ones that manage it come out the other side with something amazing, but there are so many that couldn't and either abandoned large chunks of what made the comic what it had been to get it back on track, or reset to a previous status quo, that nobody seems willing to try anymore. which is kind of a shame.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Buster gets a point for remembering the discussion part of this thread. I, personally really only have read, in order, Eeveelution Squad, Housepets, and Twokinds
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

okay, i didn't actually catch the bit about eeveelution squad when you made your first post, but the fact that one of your main influences is a series that frequently suffers from "talking head syndrome" (Ie: the majority of pages being nothing but close ups of people's faces as they have a conversation) explains A LOT.
Last edited by Buster on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Housepets is my favorite book series though, period. More than warrior cats.
Rp characters
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

First one? *thinks* Sabrina Online. In fact, it was thanks to that comic I joined the furry fandom :)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Commander Bevin

Post by Commander Bevin »

Oof, that's a tough one. I'm thinking it's probably PVP Online, which was so long ago I can't even really remember how I came upon it.

8-bit Theater's another one I used to read, loved it tons. Was sad to see it end, though I gotta respect a story that knows when and how to come to a close.

On the other hand, fingers crossed that time's long in the future for Housepets!
:P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well since HP! is a slice-of-life comic for the most part, it can go on as long as Rick wants it to.
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

If I remember correctly the first real webcomic I used to read was Black Tapestries or something along that lines, its been too long since those times. There's probably been at least 50 different webcomics that exist or used to exist that I followed at one point.

Housepets is in a select group for me of those I've followed for a long time, with only DATAROM, Furthia High, Twokinds and Slightly Damned being others that I've followed in the past for a long time. In that list only one of those I still really follow these days besides this one.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

I can't actually remember too well, but I think it was Housepets 1X. I don't remember too well what online comics I read, but when I read it after reading up to date on Housepets at the time, I did remember seeing some of the panels before. I might have read some webcomics from SmackJeeves before I created a forum account. All other webcomics came after.

I haven't heard of most of the comics everyone has encountered, but I have heard of Bob and George. People like to poke at it for jumping into a battle after missing a few days, and one of the webcomics I read now had a goal to pass the comic length of Bob and George. I say had, because I am pretty sure the author of the webcomic actually said they passed the length.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Ozy and Millie was my first webcomic, and the only one to hold my attention as much as Housepets!. There have been others, not I cannot remember their names at this time.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

It was Faux Pas, still going and still reading it. They were nominated for the 2011 Ursa Major Awards, and within the nominees was this other webcomic called Housepets that caught my attention heheh
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now we know how you started reading Housepets! XD
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this but the first webcomic I got into was Jack, more than a decade ago. Stopped reading a couple years later.

The good news is that I got to discover Housepets! from Top Web Comics around the same time.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

8-Bit Theatre, wayyyy back in the day. I had found it through a Flash animation website which had an animated version of it. 8-Bit Theatre actually served as my gateway to the wider Internet. From there I found Bob & George, then the ads at the top of the B&G website introduced me to a wider range of webcomics than just sprite comics, and from there I just started looking through tons and tons of webcomics to find stuff to try to get into. Count Your Sheep and El Goonish Shive/EGS were ones I followed for a good while. Later I found Awkward Zombie, where I joined my very first forum and met online friends that I still keep in touch with to this day.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Sandra and Woo, then to Ozy and Millie, then TwoKinds, and then here!
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!