Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It was too much for him and I suspect too stupid (like most things I do) so he didn't do it in the end. I can't blame him. At least he puts up with me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:15 pm It was too much for him and I suspect too stupid (like most things I do) so he didn't do it in the end. I can't blame him. At least he puts up with me.
Oh, youre not so hard to "put up with". ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm quite sure a few other people especially the board staff would disagree.

Anyway, the new windows in our house are really nice and it definitely brightens everything up and the new toilet also works well.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I would hardly call you stupid, at least!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I sometimes wonder if I'm actually stupid. Most of the time I feel I act like a normal being of about average intelligence...but every so often, like way more frequently than I feel should be normal, I do or say something that makes me feel like I'm a grade A moron.

I seem to not posess good logic. Some of the things I do or say make no logical sense.

Though most of the time it's because I find it's because I encounter situations I've never had to deal with before, though I feel it's situations where anyone with any amount of common sense would know the correct course of action anyway.

One recent example I can give off the top of my head is I had to dispose of a bowl of yoghurt my RL GF had but couldn't eat because she thought it tasted sour like it had gone off (even though it was fresh from the store so I dunno what happened there) and in my infinite wisdom I thought that it was "liquid" enough to dump down the kitchen sink. My GF informed me that this was incorrect, I shoulda dumped the yoghurt in the bin because we always put leftover food we can't eat in the bin, and I coulda clogged the sink pipe.

This is not the best example of what I'm talking about but it's the only one I can think of at the moment.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yogurt can't go down the sink drain??? :|
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Oh, it can, no problems...except for any big fruity bits which just get stuck on the top of british plugholes with their small holes.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I forgot that in the UK drains aren't open and have small holes on them.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Last year, my university planted some oak saplings along the recently renovated road I walk down to get to the student center every day. As of the start of this semester, they were all about 6ft. tall. Then, of course, the snowstorms came. They handled it well, by and large, but one of the two on the same side of the sidewalk that I use snapped in half under the weight of the snow and ice; its buddy about a dozen feet further down was bent, but not broken. I thought the broken tree was a gonner.
Fast forward to the spring, and the saplings have started to bloom again. They have about as many leaves as one would expect a young tree to have at this time of year. The tree than bent, but never broke, is still bent at about 90 degrees over the sidewalk (will someone please give it a support?), and the tree that broke in twain? There's more leaves on that muffins and cookies half-tree than there are on the full sized ones. IT looks like someone put a large stick of cotton candy in the ground, except instead of candy its leaves. And I swear there's more leaves on it every time I walk past. It just fascinates me to no end.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Plants are quite hardy creatures, aren’t they?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Indeed that they are or so I have found. But they don't take kindly to cats deciding to SLEEP on them. :?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

When we lived in North Carolina, there were lizards (anatoles, I think) who would lay their eggs in our potted plants. They were kinda cute little guys but it took a while to evict them.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I have flat of grass for my tomcat. He loves grass and the sun but hates going outside.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since there are apparently coyotes around here now we can afford to let either our older male cats out or are younger tiny female cats.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

It's interesting - the wildlife around here has gotten bolder and incautious to boot. Maybe its because we bolded are laying lower.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:50 pm It's interesting - the wildlife around here has gotten bolder and incautious to boot. Maybe its because we bolded are laying lower.
I do think that because less people are out and about wildlife is out in the open more, I seem to see more on my walks anyway. I know there have been cases of wild herds of animals starting to wander into towns which doesn't typically happen. Seeing many more birds in my garden.
Disproportionately Dappled
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Had a doe poking around in our yard at sunrise this morning. Youngster, looked pretty healthy. Sophie wanted to dash out and say "Hi!" but I didn't want to alarm the deer. Haven't had a deer in our yard for several years. When I was a child, it was pretty common, and they'd hang around until sixish. Always loved them.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:54 am Had a doe poking around in our yard at sunrise this morning. Youngster, looked pretty healthy. Sophie wanted to dash out and say "Hi!" but I didn't want to alarm the deer. Haven't had a deer in our yard for several years. When I was a child, it was pretty common, and they'd hang around until sixish. Always loved them.
I'm jealous! Never seen any wild deer near where I live now, though apparently they have been seen in the village. I've seen a wild deer where I work late in the evening strolling up the road and there are heards of red deer and fallow deer kept locally.

Daunted
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:34 pm
NHWestoN wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:54 am Had a doe poking around in our yard at sunrise this morning. Youngster, looked pretty healthy. Sophie wanted to dash out and say "Hi!" but I didn't want to alarm the deer. Haven't had a deer in our yard for several years. When I was a child, it was pretty common, and they'd hang around until sixish. Always loved them.
I'm jealous! Never seen any wild deer near where I live now, though apparently they have been seen in the village. I've seen a wild deer where I work late in the evening strolling up the road and there are heards of red deer and fallow deer kept locally.

Daunted
Ours are basic Virginia Whitetails. I'm told that Mule Deer, Blacktails, and even elk have been seen episodically but I'm skeptical.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There were deer all around my childhood home. But it was rough when there were winding roads because it was hard to avoid them in your car. :O
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We once had a deer run out in front of us but luckily it didn't hit us. Only happened once though a few years ago.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yesterday, there was a fox sitting at our mail box. Beautiful creature. However, foxes often pick up rabies so I postponed picking up the mail until she left. Perhaps she was expecting a package.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Did you get a picture at least? :O
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We at some points have 4 cats in our backyard that we don't know where they came from or whether or not they are domesticated. My mother goes out there to give them food sometimes.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

The weirdest coincidence just happened to me, like wow. I was on a YouTube video about the Commands of Jesus (calming, meant to make you sleep kinda thing) and skipped to a random bit where it had the phrase: "don't eat the leaven of the Phraisees!". Never read that verse before.

An hour later I was reading an article and that verse was there, too. Huh. Then, I watched a random vid and that verse was mentioned. Like when does a cowinky-dink stop being a coincidence and start becoming a sign of something? Then, it popped up again up when I opened my Bible.

Just weird.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So how nervous should I be about a tree that is curved at the top or on an angle and you can hear creaking and see the trunk moving slightly when it is windy out?
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I’d call a tree expert to check that out. It don’t sound good, but I’m not an expert.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well I'm not out there all that much so I'm not gonna obsess about it now since I have a bad habit of obsessing over things.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:04 pm Yesterday, there was a fox sitting at our mail box. Beautiful creature. However, foxes often pick up rabies so I postponed picking up the mail until she left. Perhaps she was expecting a package.
We had some fox cubs sun bathing on our neighbours lawn, luckily rabies is virtually unheard of round here. I crept out to have a look, they saw me but were not really bothered.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:38 pm
NHWestoN wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:04 pm Yesterday, there was a fox sitting at our mail box. Beautiful creature. However, foxes often pick up rabies so I postponed picking up the mail until she left. Perhaps she was expecting a package.
We had some fox cubs sun bathing on our neighbours lawn, luckily rabies is virtually unheard of round here. I crept out to have a look, they saw me but were not really bothered.
Yeah, foxes have a pretty high panic threshold and the youngsters can be pretty brassy.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It is very rare for us to see that sort of wildlife around in our backyard despite the fact that it is all woods because of the coyotes we hear at night.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I suppose this would be a good time to tell y'all about the few times I've seen a wild fox in real life.

I've seen a total of 12 foxes in the wild in my life. I know this because I clearly remember keeping count and that count reaching 12.

Y'all best sit down for this, these stories are gonna be a bit of a long read.

Everyone remembers their first, and my first is when I was around...4, 5, 6 years old, I think? I was coming home with my mom one evening from somewhere, I don't remember where, and was just down the road from my house when a fox darted out across the street from the opposite side and into a back alley on our side. It had something in it's mouth, I couldn't really make out what coz it was too dark, but it was pretty big. Obviously some kinda discarded food, most likely pinched from someone's garbage.

I can't give any kind of chronological order for the rest of my sightings right now, I'm not entirely sure which ones I saw in what order at the moment.

The next one I can remember is when I was going on a walk in my local nature reserve with my mom. We were heading down this back path that leads to the reserve's southern extremities. We took a slight detour up some steps to check out an area we'd never checked out before, but there was noting special, just some field, so we headed to the other steps located in the other corner of the field on the same side, and as we were about halfway down them, a fox darted out some bushes at the bottom, across the path the steps exited back into, and dissapeared into bushes on the other side.

This next one I remember, I was exiting a building and headed through it's car park, when one suddenly jumped out of a bush in, like, this tiny patch of greenery on one end of the car park that contained only that bush and a tree growing out of some grass. This fox then proceeded to race off like a missile round the back of the building I came out of.

The next one I remember, I was at my local seldom-used train station. This train station had only a single train track running through it on one side of the platform. On the other side, they made a nice nature-y greenery area along the length of the platform, with flowers and trees and bushes and stuff, and once again a fox suddenly raced out of a bush and dissappeared down the train tracks. While I do not know the general order of when I saw what fox, I do know this was the 9th fox I saw. I know I only explained to you guys about 4 so far, I'll explain that after this last one;

I was headed downtown with my partner to do some shopping, and we were talking about various stuff, as you do, and knowing of my love of foxes, she asked me if I'd seen any in real life. So I told her of a few of the good ones I remember, and after I finished, she stated how awesome it would be if we both saw one in real life together, and I agreed.
Later, we had finished shopping, and started heading back home. We decided to take this sort-of-sceneic route by the river which took us on a path which went under a motorway.
As we exited the other side, all of a sudden, there it was...a fox. Only this time it didn't just run off like pretty much all the others I'd seen. This one seemed entirely uninterested in the fact we were there, it just kept sniffing around a bit before walking off. This would be fox number 12, as I haven't seen a fox since then.

Alright, to explain the rest of my sightings, I have to tell you about the allotment my dad has a plot in to grow his own vegetables. I've visited this allotment a bunch of times. At the back of the allotment is a railway embankment, and every so often, on this embankment, I've seen foxes. I think I even saw two there one time. Most of these sightings were quick and fleeting, but unless I remember any other exceptions, this'll cover the other 7 sightings I've had.

And there you have it.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

The Blue Fox wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:31 am I suppose this would be a good time to tell y'all about the few times I've seen a wild fox in real life.

I've seen a total of 12 foxes in the wild in my life. I know this because I clearly remember keeping count and that count reaching 12.

Y'all best sit down for this, these stories are gonna be a bit of a long read.

Everyone remembers their first, and my first is when I was around...4, 5, 6 years old, I think? I was coming home with my mom one evening from somewhere, I don't remember where, and was just down the road from my house when a fox darted out across the street from the opposite side and into a back alley on our side. It had something in it's mouth, I couldn't really make out what coz it was too dark, but it was pretty big. Obviously some kinda discarded food, most likely pinched from someone's garbage.

I can't give any kind of chronological order for the rest of my sightings right now, I'm not entirely sure which ones I saw in what order at the moment.

The next one I can remember is when I was going on a walk in my local nature reserve with my mom. We were heading down this back path that leads to the reserve's southern extremities. We took a slight detour up some steps to check out an area we'd never checked out before, but there was noting special, just some field, so we headed to the other steps located in the other corner of the field on the same side, and as we were about halfway down them, a fox darted out some bushes at the bottom, across the path the steps exited back into, and dissapeared into bushes on the other side.

This next one I remember, I was exiting a building and headed through it's car park, when one suddenly jumped out of a bush in, like, this tiny patch of greenery on one end of the car park that contained only that bush and a tree growing out of some grass. This fox then proceeded to race off like a missile round the back of the building I came out of.

The next one I remember, I was at my local seldom-used train station. This train station had only a single train track running through it on one side of the platform. On the other side, they made a nice nature-y greenery area along the length of the platform, with flowers and trees and bushes and stuff, and once again a fox suddenly raced out of a bush and dissappeared down the train tracks. While I do not know the general order of when I saw what fox, I do know this was the 9th fox I saw. I know I only explained to you guys about 4 so far, I'll explain that after this last one;

I was headed downtown with my partner to do some shopping, and we were talking about various stuff, as you do, and knowing of my love of foxes, she asked me if I'd seen any in real life. So I told her of a few of the good ones I remember, and after I finished, she stated how awesome it would be if we both saw one in real life together, and I agreed.
Later, we had finished shopping, and started heading back home. We decided to take this sort-of-sceneic route by the river which took us on a path which went under a motorway.
As we exited the other side, all of a sudden, there it was...a fox. Only this time it didn't just run off like pretty much all the others I'd seen. This one seemed entirely uninterested in the fact we were there, it just kept sniffing around a bit before walking off. This would be fox number 12, as I haven't seen a fox since then.

Alright, to explain the rest of my sightings, I have to tell you about the allotment my dad has a plot in to grow his own vegetables. I've visited this allotment a bunch of times. At the back of the allotment is a railway embankment, and every so often, on this embankment, I've seen foxes. I think I even saw two there one time. Most of these sightings were quick and fleeting, but unless I remember any other exceptions, this'll cover the other 7 sightings I've had.

And there you have it.
You have a pretty impressive memory Blue Fox, sounds like there are a fair few near you, I have to know, did this inspire your Avatar? I may have mentioned but there is a blue fox character in the book three dead astronauts (it's quite surreal).

Daunted
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

DDeer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:31 am You have a pretty impressive memory Blue Fox, sounds like there are a fair few near you, I have to know, did this inspire your Avatar? I may have mentioned but there is a blue fox character in the book three dead astronauts (it's quite surreal).
My memory's only impressive with stuff I'm interested in. In general, it's not that great. I've been known to forget things in mere seconds from being made aware of them in my mind, and forget certain steps in a routine I've dine countless times already.

I don't know about how numerous they actually were. They were all around where I used to live with my parents before my partner and I got our own place in another part of the city.

As for what inspired my blue fox "avatar"...are you at all familiar with a TV series by the name of The Animals Of Farthing Wood? That has blue foxes in it in Season 2 & 3...my "avatar" is basically inspired by that.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think i have heard of the series but never looked into it.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:48 pm I think i have heard of the series but never looked into it.
I absolutely recommend you give it a watch if you ever get the time. It's my favourite animated series of all time and it's very unlikely anything will dethrone it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, I need to relay more of my nature encounters if they trigger all these fascinating reminicences. These stories have been delightful!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If the show is the only way I can regularly see wildlife then I might end up watching it also.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:48 am If the show is the only way I can regularly see wildlife then I might end up watching it also.
Even though it's animated cartoon wildlife? :lol:
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

The Blue Fox wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:55 pm
DDeer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:31 am You have a pretty impressive memory Blue Fox, sounds like there are a fair few near you, I have to know, did this inspire your Avatar? I may have mentioned but there is a blue fox character in the book three dead astronauts (it's quite surreal).
My memory's only impressive with stuff I'm interested in. In general, it's not that great. I've been known to forget things in mere seconds from being made aware of them in my mind, and forget certain steps in a routine I've dine countless times already.

I don't know about how numerous they actually were. They were all around where I used to live with my parents before my partner and I got our own place in another part of the city.

As for what inspired my blue fox "avatar"...are you at all familiar with a TV series by the name of The Animals Of Farthing Wood? That has blue foxes in it in Season 2 & 3...my "avatar" is basically inspired by that.
Ah, yes, remember that being on. You will indeed Weston :)