Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Post by NHWestoN »

Not much more open and shut than a massive fireball explosion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is true but you have to know that they have to do it anyway.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:23 am That is true but you have to know that they have to do it anyway.
Really? EEEEeeeeeq!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Moving on. Now not only do we have pet frogs but we have two snakes in the pond now also. LOL
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:46 pm Moving on. Now not only do we have pet frogs but we have two snakes in the pond now also. LOL
... which might be hazardous for your frogs, Amaze!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They look like they are gone now and we have a bunch of frogs around our house so I'm not that worried. Yet.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Frogs are fun. We used to have a small pond between our yards and a neighbors where Wood frogs, Leopard frogs, and the occasional toad would gather. Dad and the neighbor mowed around it so the long grass protected them. Some years, blue spotted salamanders laid their eggs in it. Later, after the neighbor family and my parents passed, the pond was filled in. By then, it had begun to shrink and became a mosquito hole. Nothing in life remains for always, eh?
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:56 pm Nothing in life remains for always, eh?
That's just one of the sad facts of life, I'm afraid. :(
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now I can't even find the frogs though they are probably hiding in the bushes now when they aren't in the pond.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:32 pm Now I can't even find the frogs though they are probably hiding in the bushes now when they aren't in the pond.
Well, they do need to think about hibernating.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't really know that much about frogs. Do they actually hibernate?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:09 pm I don't really know that much about frogs. Do they actually hibernate?
Toads, too.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Still haven't seen them but I know that they are around. My sibling was disappointed when she came over on Sunday because she really wanted to see the frogs. LOL
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:28 pm Still haven't seen them but I know that they are around. My sibling was disappointed when she came over on Sunday because she really wanted to see the frogs. LOL
Gosh, I hope they haven't "croaked" (HeeHeeHeeHeeHeeHee!). ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The snake cam back as my mother saw it in the pond. I went out there and saw one frog so they are probably just hiding in the foliage.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Story Time.

I work at times for a group called Best Friends Animal Society. They advocate for no-kill shelters and have a very large tract of land where they keep dogs, cats, horses, mules, and small animals for adoption or life care. Central to this estate is a house which now serves as a headquarters.

So, the story goes that, in the beginning, they had bought all kinds of land around the house since the owner did not want to sell it. Until she did. However, BFAS was outbid by a wealthy New York couple who "always wanted to live out West and raise horses". These were folks who had money up the proverbial wazoooo. Well, BFAS wanted to be good sports about it, after all, they'd be neighbors. So the owner decided to hold a signing ceremony in the front yard and all sorts of guests and lawyers and folks are in attendance. To add to the aura, they set up the table right in front of this lovely pool with low desert bushes around it, koi swimming in it, a little oasis in the aridity.

Well just as the buyers are about to put pen to paper, a very large bull snake comes out of nowhere, slips into the pool, swims around quite blissfully and, having apparently finished her bath, rises up and departs ... all to the awe and amazement of the assembled multitude. Perhaps they were even more awed when the New York buyers suddenly announced:

"We didn't know there were snakes in Utah! We're not going to live with snakes! This sale is off!"

.... didn't know there were snakes in Utah. Ummm ....... okay. But legally, the sale was not complete and the owners knew that these folks could meet the court costs of any attempt to enforce the contract.

Well, the BFAS saw their chance and jumped in. They bought the property immediately, and all was rejoicing and delight, thanks to The Lone Bull Snake. ("Who was that masked reptile? I wanted to thank him.")

As my Dad used to say, "It's one for those stories that, if it isn't true, it probably should be. ;)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It’s like God told the snake, “hey, want to make a good name for yourself?”

I mean, out in the wilderness, there’s going to be wild animals.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:59 pm It’s like God told the snake, “hey, want to make a good name for yourself?”

I mean, out in the wilderness, there’s going to be wild animals.

You didn't know there were snakes in the desert? Okay. Sit down. Ready. Braced? There are fish in the sea. And the air... Birds... Full of`em.

Okay, the world revolves around you. I understand. But you still have to share.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

so umm, uhh, you know the who is online thing, yeah I just looked at that and saw...
excusemeWHAT.JPG
excusemeWHAT.JPG (9.94 KiB) Viewed 8943 times
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Huh. Weird.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:05 amHuh. Weird.
Weird, wandering, and wunnerful, eh, D?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looks like this guest managed to figure out how to post. :mrgreen:
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Oh wow. The forum is totally different how. Hi everyone!
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Hey Jeff! Yeah, we're going through our emo phase :D
Nice to see you ^^
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Haven’t seen your name in a long while.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I haven't been around in a long while. I feel bad. In the time I was gone, I went to another forum, applied for moderator three times before I got it, then worked my way up the staff positions before eventually becoming one of the three admins on it, with no other higher position to get. I literally went from a nobody to one of three people who run literally everything. Then I come back here and I recognize so many names still around and I feel bad for leaving. :lol:
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

We're just glad you could take time out of your busy big time mod schedule to say hi! Gotta remember your roots and all :P
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Eh, I'm fortunate the forum mostly runs itself. I should really keep this place open and start actually staying around. So many people to see again!
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

JeffCvt wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:41 pm I haven't been around in a long while. I feel bad. In the time I was gone, I went to another forum, applied for moderator three times before I got it, then worked my way up the staff positions before eventually becoming one of the three admins on it, with no other higher position to get. I literally went from a nobody to one of three people who run literally everything. Then I come back here and I recognize so many names still around and I feel bad for leaving. :lol:
Naw, you were never a nobody!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

JeffCvt wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:57 pm Eh, I'm fortunate the forum mostly runs itself. I should really keep this place open and start actually staying around. So many people to see again!
No reason you can't hang around both, Jeff. Lots folks break off for periods of time and come back. You know ev'body's always broad to hear from you, know you're well, and read what you have to say.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just spent the last 18 hours without power because a tree fell and smashed the power lines. We are the only house on the street that didn't have power because we don't have a generator. My father says we don't need one. My mother says he is too cheap to buy one. I agree with my mother.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:00 pm Just spent the last 18 hours without power because a tree fell and smashed the power lines. We are the only house on the street that didn't have power because we don't have a generator. My father says we don't need one. My mother says he is too cheap to buy one. I agree with my mother.
I have to admit, we don't have one, never did, but I'm increasingly thinking that maybe (like your Dad) I'm "fighting the solution." As Bugs Bunny used to say, "Youuuuuuu'll be sorrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy........... !"
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

To be totally fair, a generator that's large enough for a house is big, expensive, require maintenance and I would argue that it's not a necessary expense unless you're in an area where it's common to loose power in snow or due to big hurricanes. Both of those things can knock out power for days, and especially in snow you want to at least keep your house warm enough to prevent any pipes from freezing. That's just my outlook on it, though.

I also DO have a generator big enough to at least power the important things so I'm not one to talk about not having one. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Even if they do cost a lot of money and need to be maintained, it would be a wise investment for us and I’m hoping that my father will eventually come around and see that. Because guess what? We are apparently in an area that tends to lose power a lot and now that it is getting colder and we need to keep the pipes working it will be incredibly necessary. Since we have been here, we have lost power 3 times already in the three months that we lived here. The first time I remember it was off for a couple of minutes but the second time it was off for THREE days. That was when it was warm out so we didn’t need to worry but now its getting colder. We need the power because the heater is hooked up to it. The stove we have is electric so with no power we can’t cook and the hot water heater is also electric so when that goes out we can’t take showers since the water is freezing.

I would say for us now it is VERY important to get a generator. Not to mention that we are the only people on the street that don’t seem to have one.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

In New England, it's just prudent to have a generator - or a neighbor with one who will let you come in and shelter with them when the regional power grid goes "pppfffthit".
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My mother said we should make friends with the neighbors though one house in particular which seems to have the most powerful generator has a nasty habit of parking their cars on a narrow street in a way that my mother can't get out of the driveway. We have enough issues with the driveway as it is.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:13 pm My mother said we should make friends with the neighbors though one house in particular which seems to have the most powerful generator has a nasty habit of parking their cars on a narrow street in a way that my mother can't get out of the driveway. We have enough issues with the driveway as it is.
Smart lady, your mom!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:17 am In New England, it's just prudent to have a generator - or a neighbor with one who will let you come in and shelter with them when the regional power grid goes "pppfffthit".
I JUST moved out of New England. I rented and had no good way to hook a generator up to the house so I just dealt with power outages by... uh... Not doing anything I guess. Just sleep and work. I didn't feel like investing in one when I knew I wouldn't stay.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which state were you in before you moved? Were we neighbors and I didn't even know it?
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I was on Cape Cod in Massachusetts.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit