Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, at least we know Fox will give `em a head start running.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Even more since he has to clean his face up after it.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

I just remembered that, in the midst of this whole Coronavirus scare, my sister's just outside of Tokyo for college, so she's pretty close to it. I pray she stays safe.

Also, I came to a horrifying realization last night. When I was younger (like, grade school), I had a slight speech impediment that made it difficult to pronounce the letter "r". So basically for the first 12 to 13 years of my life, I basically spoke in that cursed "uwu" speak. This has caused me severe mental anguish and brought my entire life into question.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I had some speech impediments when I was younger also. Mostly I had issues with the letter "l" and "u" and would pronounce them with a "w" and an "a" sound respectively. For me ot cleared up around 2nd grade but it did make me self-conscious. Thinking about it makes me feel kind of stupid for being unable to pronounce them.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I had some speech impediments when I was younger also. Mostly I had issues with the letter "l" and "u" and would pronounce them with a "w" and an "a" sound respectively. For me ot cleared up around 2nd grade but it did make me self-conscious. Thinking about it makes me feel kind of stupid for being unable to pronounce them.
Stammering is often - but not always - a developmental problem that people will grow out of. Nonetheless, going through it is painful and seems interminable. My son had similar challenges until about the age of ten, and it was just heart- breaking.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I still sort of stutter a little bit and have a hard time getting my point across when I am talking to people. I just hope that it won't be worse now that I am going through emotional upheaval in my life...
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I still sort of stutter a little bit and have a hard time getting my point across when I am talking to people. I just hope that it won't be worse now that I am going through emotional upheaval in my life...
I'm sorry to hear about that. I'll keep you in my prayers.

By the way, what is this thread?
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It's just a misc. chat thread. Bring up whatever that doesn't fit the other existing threads. Apparently after a certain number of pages a new one is made. But with the rise of other forms of chatting like Discord and Telegram, things have really slowed down here.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote:It's just a misc. chat thread. Bring up whatever that doesn't fit the other existing threads. Apparently after a certain number of pages a new one is made. But with the rise of other forms of chatting like Discord and Telegram, things have really slowed down here.
But it's kinda nice to have since we're not all on Discord, Telegram, etc.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Plus on Discord and Telegram it seems to be the same people who are active. Not that it is a bad thing.
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

Broccoli has become an invasive species as it has invaded the backyard.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

At least it tastes good.

Unless wild broccoli actually sucks. Cultivation made a lot of common produce near unrecognizable compared to their original forms.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think I have ever seen wild broccoli before. I will have to look that up.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

When you say something random, regret it, and come back finding that it actually started a serious discussion... you guys are great, I hope you all live long happy lives with cats... or not cats if you have allergies, if you do not have allergies you have no excuse not to have a cat... except for living in a place where cat's aren't allowed, or your family members have allergies... or... whatever.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I miss my cat still, two years later. :(
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

My excuse is that caring for a cat is expensive, and we haven't had much in disposable income for a while, but thank God it's enough to cover important bills.

Plus, there are long periods of time that no one is home to care for a pet, as we all work.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote:My excuse is that caring for a cat is expensive, and we haven't had much in disposable income for a while, but thank God it's enough to cover important bills.

Plus, there are long periods of time that no one is home to care for a pet, as we all work.

One does what one must, D. And Vet bills are almost as high as those of our species. Glad to know you're making due.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well...I did just receive a call from my boss that everyone at work is getting hours cut due to the current virus crisis. Frankly I'm surprised that they're still open. So add another thing to be concerned about. At least regarding money, we have some saved up that could buffer things for a short while, and assuming the government doesn't implode, got a decent tax return coming in a few weeks.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Am I the only one who feels bad for Tom (from "Tom and Jerry")? I mean, it just seems like the entire universe is against him at times. And he's not even evil or anything, he's just tryn'a do a perfectly normal cat thing(catch a mouse).
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The only silver lining though seems to be that there are times when Tom DOES win. Examples:

Southbound Duckling – Tom ends up trapping Jerry and Quacker under a pail after catching up with them

Timid Tabby – Tom and cousin George manage to scare Jerry by being a monster into a massive nervous breakdown and he commits himself

Nit-Wit Kitty – A blow to the head makes Tom think he is a mouse so he ends up evicting Jerry from his mouse hole

Polka-dot Puss – Jerry makes Tom think he has measles but at the end Jerry has a more severe case

Mouse for Sale – Tom manages to trick his owner Joan into believing he was jealous of Jerry (who Tom turned white to sell for money) and at the end he repeatedly stomps on Jerry

The Bodyguard – Spike is caught by the dog catcher and can no longer help Jerry so he chases after Jerry while he runs after the dog catcher

Million Dollar Cat – Tom forgoes the money he would have gotten because Jerry pushed him too far and Tom begins to bludgeon Jerry with heavy objects

Jerry's Diary – Tom was gonna be kind to Jerry because it was “Be Kind to Animals” week but after reading Jerry’s diary and seeing all the awful things Jerry wrote about him, he took the pie he backed and smashed it on Jerry

That's My Mommy – Tom did manage to trap Jerry in several cans and threw them down a well and was gonna cook Quacker but his conscious got the better of him and he adopted Quacker meaning that the abuse Jerry went through was all for nothing

The Vanishing Duck – After they used vanishing cream to become invisible to torment Tom, Tom used the same cream and chased Jerry and Quacker with a shovel to beat them

The Year of the Mouse – Tom traps Jerry and an unnamed mouse in a bottle and if they try ti get out a gun will shoot them with Tom doing this because he was trying to sleep and they were terrorizing him

Duel Personality – After their duels ended up coming to a draw, Jerry tries to duel Tom again to buy more time to get away from him but Tom just rips the card up and slaps Jerry with a glove

Love Me, Love My Mouse – After trying to break up Tom and his girlfriend, they reunite because she finds out Jerry is tasty and they go chase after Jerry

Little School Mouse – Jerry tries to teach Tuffy how to avoid being caught by a cat. After Jerry goes through several scenes of abuse, Tuffy and Tom become FRIENDS

Most Wanted Mouse – Jerry has to grovel to get Tom back in the house because the house owner is gonna call an exterminator

These are the only ones I could find. I am sure that there are more.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

That's an impressive inventory, Amaz!
Back when I was a kid (and everybody liked Ike), I amassed quite a pile of the Dell comics "Tom and Jerry" comics ( and their weird little spin-off, "The Mouse Musketeers"). I later traded them off for a stack of Disney's and " The Fox and the Crow" comics. Good stories and good art - unlike the toons, Tuffy was always a regular in the "funny books".
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do remember some of them and those were the episodes I found myself liking the most. That tells you how my mind works.

Here's another way. When I was in 1st grade (in the 1998–1999 school year), I was sitting next to an empty desk and I pulled up a chair on the other side of me. I used to pretend Tom and Jerry were at school with me. :lol:
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

FoxyBoi wrote:Am I the only one who feels bad for Tom (from "Tom and Jerry")? I mean, it just seems like the entire universe is against him at times. And he's not even evil or anything, he's just tryn'a do a perfectly normal cat thing(catch a mouse).
No you’re not, I do as well.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

A legacy Tom passed on to the Hanna-Barbera TV Cartoons. ("I hates meeses to pieces"! unquote).
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The one that sticks out in my memory is the episode where Jerry and Tuffy torment Tom in a King’s room knowing full well that Tom would be executed if the king was awoken. They succeed.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh I remember that one also. Some of them were way over the topic and just plain nasty. That was part of the "Two Mouseketeers" saga. That was actually the last of the four shorts that was created before they discontinued them and just made regular Tom and Jerry shorts. I saw all four of them at different times growing up but didn't know that there was only those shorts that they put together. Of course they didn't have continuity with each other (because they were created several years apart) so they didn't bother. I also had no clue that they were referencing the "Three Musketeers" at the time either.

Anyway the four shorts in order of when they were made and first aired:

The Two Mouseketeers (1952) – Jerry and Nibbles sneak into a massive sprawling banquet that Tom has been ordered to guard for the King for a feast later. Naturally Tom fails when Nibbles blows a cannon up and he is beheaded.

Touché, kitty Cat! (1954) – Jerry is put in charge of making Nibbles a Mouseketeers but the little mouse ends up failing miserably because he is such a klutz that Jerry sends him home. When Tom attacks and nearly gets the best of Jerry, Nibbles saves him which is how he became a Mouseketeer.

Tom and Chérie (1955) – Jerry is in a rather intimate relationship with a female mouse and orders Nibbles (whose name was changed to Tuffy for some reason) to deliver his letters. Along the way, Tom beats the snot out of him.

Royal Cat Nap (1958) – Jerry and Tuffy sneak into the bed chambers of a king who is sleeping and wake him up. The king orders Tom to stop the mice from disturbing his sleep or he will be executed. This short ends with the mice SAVING Tom by putting the king back to sleep by having Tuffy singing him a lullaby.

The last one is the one you were talking about. I always theorized that Hanna and Barbera realized they ended up screwing up big time by having Tom be killed six years after the first short so the last short was done to sort of rectify it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sorta like "Scratchy" from The Simpsons "Itchy and Scratchy", you can't keep a good kitty down, no matter how pulverized his anatomy. Hanna-Barbara carried some of that riotous anarchy over into Pixie, Dixie, and Mr.Jinks back in their early TV days but a lot of the actual mayhem took place off-stage since their animation technology was pretty - oh let's use the word - cheap. Hanna-Barbara may have been the first TV "virus". They must have had a hundred different shows over two decades, all pretty much the same, although some better than others.

I was also a fan of "The Fox and The Crow", both the cartoons and the comics.
But that was very long ago.........
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

I just had a few thoughts:
One: In "The Three Musketeers" they use swords. WHY?! By definition, musketeers use muskets. Why don't they use muskets?
Two: You know what we need? An antivirus for the Coronavirus. As in, a virus that can destroy the virus.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Then we have a more powerful virus than could then become the more dangerous ... mebbee?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He is actually talking about antiviral drugs and not the program for the computer though. XD

But yeah, that won't happen because an antiviral drug is an antimicrobial drug which kills microorganisms. It would have no chance of become more dangerous than the virus that it is being used to treat since it's not a virus.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:He is actually talking about antiviral drugs and not the program for the computer though. XD

But yeah, that won't happen because an antiviral drug is an antimicrobial drug which kills microorganisms. It would have no chance of become more dangerous than the virus that it is being used to treat since it's not a virus.
M'kay.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

FoxyBoi wrote:I just had a few thoughts:
One: In "The Three Musketeers" they use swords. WHY?! By definition, musketeers use muskets. Why don't they use muskets?
Two: You know what we need? An antivirus for the Coronavirus. As in, a virus that can destroy the virus.
That sounds like a great way to cause more problems than you fix. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Wasn’t that the instigating event in the movie version of I Am Legend? Programmed virus that went out of control, rendering humanity almost extinct with the infected mutating into something else?

Never read the book, I’m aware it had a different point from the movie.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

I finally got some people assigned to help me with the closing shifts at my job, so I don't keep getting screwed over with closing alone for 8 hours with 80/90+ orders to take care of on my own (I take care of online orders at my local grocery store). Things are much easier with a helping hand or two. And I've started playing ESO again, so if you play too, hmu with a dm if you want to play together.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm trying to figure out also why drinking one glass of iced tea makes me have to go to the bathroom all the time. A new mystery to take my mind off the fact that we are never gonna be able to be close again.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Perhaps a sensitivity to caffeine? Does coffee or soda do the same thing to you?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Nope. It only started when I began drinking iced tea and nothing with caffeine has the same effect. For perspective, from the time I was 4 up until about the time I was 18 I usually drank Coca-Cola as my beverage of choice. I stopped that and switched over to Sprite. It has been about 3 years since I started drinking iced tea.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Wait, is that not common? I thought tea just went straight through everyone :lol:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If it does then that is something I didn't know. I very much did not know at all that iced tea could do that. It would explain it. So it probably is that as a matter of fact. Glad to know its not just me. :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Caffeine, volume consumed, and time of day influence your output - and getting older doesn't make it better. ;)