Unpopular Stuf You're Interested In

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

ShadowLightning

Unpopular Stuf You're Interested In

Post by ShadowLightning »

Seeing the topic of one of the recent threads, I thought maybe we'd talk about something more positive. Basically, the exact opposite of that. Whether it's a hidden gem, was popular years ago but not anymore, or something that's hated/not that liked today but you still love anyways.

For video games, I loved Final Fantasy XIII, and it's direct sequel. Haven't played Lightning Returns yet though. I understand the criticisms it gets, especially the first cause of how linear and tedious the first dozen chapters. But despite this, I still kept playing and loved it. I love the characters, the plot, the music, and once you get past Chapter 11 (along way to go, I know), that's when you can finally go around exploring, to which, I will say, is definitely worth the wait.

Now for something a little obscure: Robotrek, and Seiken Denesetsu 3. Both pretty darn good SNES games, especially for its time. I've talked a bit about the former. It's a bit like Pokemon in that you're not the one fighting, but rather the robots you built. Battle System is a bit weird and might take some time getting used to, but it's still worth playing. Now, the latter is something I don't think I've talked about yet. I don't know the exact english translation of the title, but it's sometimes called Secret of Mana 2. And to those who don't know, it's part of the Mana series. Sadly it doesn't have an official English translation. It's an action-rpg, kinda like Kingdom Hearts. The plot may be a bit dull or cliche, but it makes up for it in gameplay, and I can say it has a lot of replay value. There are 6 playable characters to choose from, but you can only pick 3 in your party, with one of them being the main character. Who you have in your party and as your main character changes how the plot goes. So for instance, picking one would give you this as the final boss, while picking the other would give you a different final boss. Like I said, tons of replay value. And then we have the class changes. A grand total of 36 (I think) classes for each character, more replay value and gives you lots of choices to experiment with. I wouldn't say these are the best games, but I think they're worth playing, especially if you like the SNES.

For other stuff, I've always wanted to read/watch the Twilight series, moreso than Harry Potter. I know it gets a lot of hate for a lot of reasons. I've only read a bit of the first book, and it wasn't that bad.

Well, there are my stuff. What about you? Share whatever unpopular stuff you love, and maybe others might check it out too and agree with you.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Tales

Re: Unpopular Stuf You're Interested In

Post by Tales »

I liked the Star-Wars prequels... Or at least, the first time I watched them as a kid. Before people POINTED OUT how bad Jar-jar was and stuff, I had a blast watching them.
My FA account: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/tales19/

The best forum game in existence:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm sure I can think of something, just not at this moment.

Also, about Twilight, I did end up being REALLY intrigued by the first book. It successfully grabbed my attention. The sequel, however, killed any more interest I could have had. I found it boring, tedious, and uneventful until the last chapter or two. Let us know if your experience is different.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
ShadowLightning

It got my interest the first time I heard of it. Back then I didn't know furries were a thing, so werewolves, and really, any were-animals, were a big favorite of mine. I've heard so much negative stuff about it, mostly jokes and memes, so my interest on it was part curiosity, part me just wanting to see how bad it actually is.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I have to ask if anything is ever truly unpopular. If something does not catch on in the mainstream or shunned outright, there is always some kind of following for it. This is the phenomenon of the "cult following". Like cult films. It also extends to other pop culture items. No matter what it is, it has some sort of fan base, even if they like because they mock it or because it is "ironic" to like it. Like movies by "The Asylum" that are always on the SyFy Channel. No matter how obscure or "out there" something is it will have a small yet devoted fan base.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I finally thought of some; I enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog and Star Fox Adventures.

I liked the possibility that Shadow brought about, and I liked almost all but one weapon. Rocket launcher kinda sucked. Had the standard camera issues, but I liked how there were eleven different endings, it let us see just what Shadow could become. It had multiplayer, but that wasn't any good. I do think it would have been better if Sega had stuck to the plan of making it a T rated game, but they scaled back when the E+10 rating was introduced. Not anywhere near a perfect game, but I enjoyed. it.

I liked how Adventures felt and played, but I will admit, it had such wasted potential. Unlockable cheats were garbage, there were quite a few plot holes, many things weren't explained, and had no replay value to me, but that one time was pretty enjoyable. I still wonder what it could have been like if Miyamoto hadn't stepped in on the production of Dinosaur Planet.
ShadowLightning

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I have to ask if anything is ever truly unpopular. If something does not catch on in the mainstream or shunned outright, there is always some kind of following for it. This is the phenomenon of the "cult following". Like cult films. It also extends to other pop culture items. No matter what it is, it has some sort of fan base, even if they like because they mock it or because it is "ironic" to like it. Like movies by "The Asylum" that are always on the SyFy Channel. No matter how obscure or "out there" something is it will have a small yet devoted fan base.
Unpopular doesn't have to be obscure. Like I said, it can also be something that's considered bad, like it has awful ratings or whatever, but you still love it despite the negative criticism it gets.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:I liked how Adventures felt and played, but I will admit, it had such wasted potential. Unlockable cheats were garbage, there were quite a few plot holes, many things weren't explained, and had no replay value to me, but that one time was pretty enjoyable. I still wonder what it could have been like if Miyamoto hadn't stepped in on the production of Dinosaur Planet.
Half the problems with that game are due to it being originally designed as the first game in a new series, NOT a starfox game. Then nintendo decided that rare's origional protagonist looked too much like a certain space-faring canid and more or less forced them to make it into a starfox game. the games mechanics, and rare's usual sense of humor wouldn't feel so out of place had it been a straight fantasy setting rather than what we got.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

I actually quite like the Tremors series, It's a rather unknown series for the most part except for a few hundred or couple thousand fans.

Also, I like Jurassic Park 3...DON'T LYNCH ME, but I was starting to get tired of the T-Rex being the big bad dino for the series most the time, and when JP3 came out I was rootin' for Spiny(My nickname for Spinosaurus..) when that fight came around.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

Black metal. Although it is more popular in different parts of the world, here in the US it tends to get overlooked more often due to the popularity of rap, pop, and post-metal (Pierce The Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, etc.). There are occasional tours in the US for black metal bands, but most I've seen are for the more popular acts such as Belphegor and Watain. I tend to see more one-off events such as Full Terror Assault fest that have black metal included in the line-up, but nothing exclusively black metal.

Pyrocynical. Although he isn't very well known, in the teenage circles, a similar youtuber by the name LeafyIsHere might be a little more recognizable. Pyrocynical is a British youtuber that uses a form of satire comedy that I really enjoy.

Jar Jar Binks. For those Star Wars fans out there, I apologize, but I enjoy him. I don't think Star Wars needed a comic relief character, but I still like Jar Jar.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

SergeiTheFox wrote:Black metal. Although it is more popular in different parts of the world, here in the US it tends to get overlooked more often due to the popularity of rap, pop, and post-metal (Pierce The Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, etc.). There are occasional tours in the US for black metal bands, but most I've seen are for the more popular acts such as Belphegor and Watain. I tend to see more one-off events such as Full Terror Assault fest that have black metal included in the line-up, but nothing exclusively black metal.
I have always liked Black Metal. It has always had a small but loyal following in America. I think my first exposure to it was the band Emperor. I am disappointed that they broke up. Its hard to imagine Bathory or Mayhem being played on the radio. I avoid listening to Burzum and Absurd on principle.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Heh. I can think of a few things.

I love jazz and ballad but I hardly know of anyone else that shares my taste in music.

I also love the music of Alvin and the Chipmunks and I'm yet to find anyone else that likes them. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Hlaoroo wrote:I also love the music of Alvin and the Chipmunks and I'm yet to find anyone else that likes them. :P
I love them. I never saw the movies but when I still used my iPod I had a few songs from the soundtracks of the first two. plus some of their older covers.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Yay! Someone else likes the chipmunks! :D

I had a heap of their music on my iPod until Apple forced an update on me and wiped it. :evil:
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

ShadowLightning

On the topic of music, I forgot to mention this the first time.

I actually like the song Friday by Rebecca Black, I even have it on my phone.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I kind of like "Baby" by Justin Bieber. I guess I missed the initial flood of teenybopper hype. To be clear, I'm not a Bieber fan by a long shot, but I do like the voice talent in that particular song (though the lyrics seem kind of juvenile, but that's to be expected from a target age group that knows very little about the real world).
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

ShadowLightning wrote: For video games, I loved Final Fantasy XIII
D-Rock wrote:Star Fox Adventures.
Gonna put myself down as a fan of these; honestly, I'd probably go farther in defending them than most people who admit to liking them. I'll admit that I first played Final Fantasy XIII at a time that I was a bit disillusioned with typical FF conventions such as random encounters and whatnot (which have either grown on me or I've become neutral towards since), but the experiencing of playing it has always stuck with me. I got myself into so many unnecessary arguments about that game as a teenager because I always felt like it was so misunderstood. Yes, it's linear, but I felt like that complemented the story and its pace really well. Very "steady as she goes," showing the slow development of the characters as they move towards their goal. I suppose the game could have used some more varied gameplay to compensate, but I really loved the battle system at the time. I understand why a lot of people see it as a boring game, but I have a lot of good memories of playing it. I'd honestly like to play it again and see if it holds up the same way. Maybe I'll be able to form some more detailed thoughts.

As for Star Fox Adventures, gosh, that came out when I was six and it was actually exactly what I wanted. I loved Star Fox 64 to death, but the one thing I wanted to do in that game that I never could was take Fox out of the Arwing and, like, explore and stuff. And then they made a game where I can actually do that and I'm like YES. It's funny how your perception of these things can change as you grow older. When you grow up, it's all about ARTISTIC INTEGRITY and THIS IS WHAT AN [X FRANCHISE] GAME SHOULD BE, but when you're a kid, it can be as simple as "OH MY GOSH I GET TO EXPLORE AS STAR FOX THIS IS SOOO COOL." Heh, maybe Nintendo were onto something when they decided to put Star Fox in Dinosaur Planet. But even now, I can appreciate it as a fun and well-made action adventure game that maybe came out at the wrong place at the wrong time. I will say that it has my favorite design and characterization for Fox, though.

Besides that, I still love Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 even though most people seem to fall into the "dated at best" camp with them. I always feel a little disappointed when I see people saying stuff like "well, I LIKE them because of nostalgia but they're STILL KIND OF BAD." I hate that idea of popular vote-mandated objectivity to begin with, but it's almost like it's become weirdly socially unacceptable to admit that you flat-out like them. Like, yeah, you can like something and not necessarily think it's great, but sometimes it feels like that admittance is seen as almost necessary. Like...if you like something, like it. You don't have to make apologies or justifications for it. But I mean, as for myself, I'll defend them to my dying breath, but that's mostly for the fun of it at this point. X3 Also, Sonic Lost World needs more love, dang it. It had its flaws, but I honestly think that at its best moments, it offered some of the most satisfying and well-rounded 3-D gameplay the series had to offer. Plus, I thought that the variety was really interesting, even if not every level was necessarily a hit. Fun game, and I'd still return to it.

Also, I listen to Creed. Shamelessly.
*cough*
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Stuff. wrote: Also, I listen to Creed. Shamelessly.
Gonna have to ban you for that :3
Just an Arc
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I actually like nearly all of the Sonic games, the only real exception being Generations, and that's more because I wanted to see some of the games it only had one or two fixed up sections from retooled in full.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I only have four Creed songs on my computer, and I like all of them; Higher, My Sacrifice, One Last Breath, and Arms Wide Open. Don't recall any others at this moment.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I've various unpopular and less popular stuff which I show interested in. I love and follow electronic dance music world and house music since more than 10 years; I've used to look for rare and unknown PC games that could interest me; I got a little interest in knowing some comedy cabaret and voice acting; and last but not least, interest in furry art and in furry fandom in general. ;)
Mistacheeeez
Location: Scouring the vast wastelands of the internet for any memes not yet devoured by the masses!

Post by Mistacheeeez »

Well, where to begin?

I've always called myself a gamer and I love all sorts of video/computer games, but, I hardly ever play any games at all! (partly due to a horrible computer and also because I have little money) but even the games I do have I never play... I feel like a horrible liar because my only real experience with gaming is just watching Youtube videos... Also, another thing I like is movies with drama, this might not seem so weird, but it's weird as a guy when I end up really liking a lot of sappy chick-flicks... (including Warm Bodies... Nothing screams weird like a zombie love story!) my taste in music is also pretty strange, it ranges from classic, techno, rock, screamo, musical, country, and random songs on Youtube or other places that don't even have a genre... All in all, I basically like everything but modern rap! (so I have a pretty unpopular opinion because all my friends seem to love it!)
I thought about changing my signature but decided against it, it's too much work!
Jammy

Post by Jammy »

I know it has a bit of an image problem as a hobby, but I'm a trainspotter. I just really like trains. My main interest is in preserved steam, particularly the east coast pacifics (A1 Tornado, A3 Flying Scotsman, the A4's), but I can get excited about pretty much anything that runs on rails. The more unique or unusual the better. It certainly helps living a few minutes cycle ride from a major heritage railway (not that it had any bearing on my choice of university).
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Trains are cool! I'm more an emergency vehicle photog, though.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I like trains. But also vintage aircraft, particularly propeller-driven fighter aircraft.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
SilverGlyphs

Post by SilverGlyphs »

A lot of webcomics have pretty small followings- some of the others I read are Asmundr, Skin Deep, and Prague Race(I"m super behind on that one though...). Umm... let's see... I like some somewhat obscure bands/music artists, like Ukiyo, Lake, Bassnectar, and Laura Marling. I'm a fairly big fan of calmer electric music(ie, Nujabes), but none of the electric radio stations I see play that kind of stuff often, if ever. And it's not really that obscure if you live in Scandinavia, but I love Norse mythology. And yeah furries/anthropomorphic animals, and anything with a Pete's Dragon or Last Guardian feel to it.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Tales wrote:I liked the Star-Wars prequels... Or at least, the first time I watched them as a kid. Before people POINTED OUT how bad Jar-jar was and stuff, I had a blast watching them.
Episode 3 was awesome, the only complaint i had about it was that it was too rushed... I feel they should have dumped episode 2 and stretched the episode 3 story across 2 movies. as for what i like that isn't so popular well.... you guys arn't gonna believe this but i'm a furry. I know that none will be able to relate to that here though ;)
Image Image
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I like trains myself. I use to ride one at the Atlantic Burn Camp when i was very young and wanted to ride one to work everyday. <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Danger Mouse.
Riding a train watching Danger Mouse.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I'm rather fond of the Destroyermen Series by Taylor Anderson. I don't know if it's unpopular, but I've never met anyone else who reads it.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I have an ancient stack of Uncle $crooge and Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, drawn by Carl Barks. Every now and then, I dig out a couple. Still great reads, the optical equivalent of buying one really good cupcake.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I also loved FFXIII!

I also liked Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts a lot. Everyone seemed mad at that game.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

That game is... functional. the biggest problem with it is it's the polar opposite of what the fans wanted, and the way the levels are designed, it's clear it was originally intended to be more like it's predecessors, but was retooled part way through into something else.

it's less an issue of objective quality, and more of betrayal and broken trust.

as for me I absolutely LOVE Yooka-Laylee. While not exactly what I wanted (the Playtonic team are out of practice with this genre and it shows) it's MUCH closer than anything else in the platformer genre currently. Other players can keep their 'challenging platforming' nonsense, That was never the appeal for me. I want to go on a scavenger hunt, the more confusing and obtuse the hiding places the better.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

For several summers in my misspent youth, I was a YMCA nature counselor, and I too came to love scavenger hunts. It was fun sometimes to organize them around themes.

...I still play board games the old fashioned way, Monopoly, Diplomacy, sometimes Risk.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

My preferred genre of music to listen to is specifically "Post-Hardcore" and I've come to learn not many in my age group or gender like that genre as much as I do. I also love board games and want to have an excuse to spend money on this (for me) fairly expensive one that uses your smart phone to allegedly do AR stuff.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since you are the same age as me, I'm assuming that the preferred genre that most people in your age group listen to is either hip-hop or pop. I know that's true of me.

Also you should probably stop bumping topics that are several years old. They died out for a reason. :)
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I'm just trying to be like Hollywood and reboot old things with my own flair!
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

my bois

cardiacs

the band
Just an Arc
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

The timing these boys are on irks me just a tiny bit, but it's not bad. I'm not gonna like. I particularly like the instrumentals.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:20 am Since you are the same age as me, I'm assuming that the preferred genre that most people in your age group listen to is either hip-hop or pop. I know that's true of me.

Also you should probably stop bumping topics that are several years old. They died out for a reason. :)
On the other hand, it is "unpopular stuff" so, while it doesn't come back often, maybe it does so "for a reason". Or maybe not.