Questions about drawing

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

tsMKG

Questions about drawing

Post by tsMKG »

I decided to learn to draw, but I have some questions:

1- How is the best way to position the hand?

2- How to keep the proportion while drawing?
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Douglas Collier

Re: Questions about drawing

Post by Douglas Collier »

I would start out using lots of references when drawing something - eventually your brain will remember the proportions on its own (at least that's what worked for me).

When drawing use simple general shapes (ovals for limbs, circles for joints, blocky shapes for the torso) and work from there, adding the more detailed lines over that.

Hope this helps. ;)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

The first question hasn't been answered yet.

Doug, did you follow any tutorial while drawing?
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm sure it's different for many people, but I hold the pencil the same in my hand as when I'm writing. I do know that in some circumstances, this will be different. Using things such as paints or charcoals require the hand to be at the very least, slightly off the canvas, otherwise your palm will smear it. Even a lot of pens will do that. I mainly stick to color pencils, and the brand I get doesn't really smear that much. With normal pencils, it depends on how soft the lead is. Though many times as well, one wants the smear. It depends on the effect you want.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Ummm... My mom always said that the position that I use for writing (below photos) is wrong. Even I have a bubble in the ring finger (above photo).
Image Image
Douglas Collier

Hey, you hold your pencils the same way I do (with a small exception I'll point out*)! :) I don't understand why it would be wrong - it gives more control to hold it with three fingers rather than two and balancing it on another. Maybe arthritis in the distant future or something? *I would recommend tucking your ring and pinky fingers into your palm - it might help reduce smudging and give your hand a greater range of motion...

No, I was never really into tutorials. They always looked like this to me:

They can be helpful though, especially ones on specific aspects, such as shading or what details to add to make something look better and how to add them (rather than just telling you to do it). :roll:

I just always drew what I saw.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Douglas Collier wrote: *I would recommend tucking your ring and pinky fingers into your palm - it might help reduce smudging and give your hand a greater range of motion...
And here comes the problem: I use the ring finger as support for the pencil :?
Roose

Post by Roose »

I'm not very good at drawing myself. When I do, I usually do a couple of rough drawings of whatever I am drawing before I start with the real drawing.
It's not very paper efficient though
~Roosevelt
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

tsMKG wrote:And here comes the problem: I use the ring finger as support for the pencil :?
You're not alone, I hold a pen the same way. Yeah, it's not the orthodox method, and I still blame my parents who never taught me how to hold a pen, but...
it's totally fine. Really, just go with what you're comfortable with. Start with what works for you, and stick with it. Practise with it.
Practise is important. You gotta do it regularly. You were asking about proportion? It comes with practise. Learn to draw basic lines and shapes, then use reference images. Maybe identify which proportions you get wrong, then focus on them.
I'm not even half decent at art. I, too, am learning. But I'm pretty sure this is how you start.

Also, if you ever start using an art tablet, some styluses have quick access buttons on the side which are much more accommodating to our style ;)
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Gotta say that also I don't hold the wrist in the air.

That's bad?
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Neither do I.

Nope! I don't actually see a problem with keeping your wrist on the surface? If you're worried about smudges, avoid the thick artsy pencils. I just go with a mechanical pencil.
Well, truthfully, it actually might limit your movement and flow but that can be corrected through practise.
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

I have a question as well. So, I draw sometimes too, and I wanna learn to get better. I've been thinking about getting a drawing tablet. But I'm kinda worried that I might end up not using it all that much.

Soo, is using a drawing tablet any different from drawing with a regular pencil and paper? I mean, I know it's "different", but like, is it any more difficult? And if it is, can a drawing novice like me get the hang of it? Or should I just stick pencil and paper for now and wait till I'm significantly better.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Douglas Collier

Depends on the tablet. Ones with screens, like the Wacom Cintiq are very easy to use, but also very expensive. Screenless tablets like the Wacom Bamboo are less expensive, but take a little getting used to and, in my experience take more time to draw on if you want an exact line.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

I'm sure that's something most people consider before buying a tablet. You'll likely get a screenless one, since the screen tablets can be very pricey.
For actual arting, drawing on a tablet feels quite different to pen and paper. Main difference is the decreased friction between stylus and surface, but it's not unheard of for new users to put a piece of paper on their tablet while drawing to replicate a more natural experience.
The fear of not using your tablet enough and the fear of not getting used to your tablet both have the same solution: use your tablet even when you're not doing art. Use your tablet as a replacement for your mouse, especially your first few weeks with it. I still do this, the only time I use my mouse is when I'm gaming.

I can make tablet recommendations if you're interested!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Please do, I've been trying to see what different brands would be recommended. Main take-away I've gotten so far is to make sure the tablet screen matches the monitor size.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Well, that's how i got one of today's drawing:

0) I draw a circle
1) Cross it
2) "Small" details (Oops!)
3) Trying to make ears :x
4) Forget it
5) Half ellipse for eyes
6) Derp eyes
7) Derp eyes again :x
8) Okay, let's copy Grape Jelly, anyways nobody will notice that
9) That's all
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That's actually already better than me.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Yep, but i should be drawing original characters and not an army of clone Grapes. *pew pew* Welsh Halfwit has been neutralized

The problem is to bring my ideas, my imagination on paper. (Especially the living beings)
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Well, the problem has to be that what I have in my mind is not up to the style that I draw.

This time, I made the character in my mind as I drew and it came out nice.

Halfway drawing, it looks like a seal xD
Drawing completed.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, you just accomplished something that some of us can't do; bringing something in our mind to life. Nice job, man!
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

D-Rock wrote:Well, you just accomplished something that some of us can't do; bringing something in our mind to life. Nice job, man!
Thanks!

I think that as more I draw, the more I will adapt my dreamed characters to my style.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

How about this
(For some reason I don't feel right with this style, that's normal? :? )
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

here's what i do, sorry if this is a it fast, i don't actually know how to slow gifs down.

After that it's just a matter of fixing details that went wrong.
Atleast, when it's by hand. by tablet, i just have two layers and delete one when the lines are done.

Also, I made a wax head out of cheese wrappers, so i always had a reference of how the ears and muzzle should look from different angles.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Drawing in perspective is very hard for me :? Any technique?
Also the animal mouth sometimes seems problematic.

Also, erasing is very problematic in paper because accidentally I earse other things around the thing that I want to erase.
Also it makes the drawing more dirty and ugly.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Maybe try the vanishing point technique? Still something I haven't mastered, but give it a shot.
Here are some basic views.

As for getting rid of lines you don't want, don't press too strongly on the paper until you get to the final lines that you want. Also, usually those white erasers tend to leave fewer eraser marks. I see that you were able to get a digital drawing of the thing. You could easily just color the lines you want in your drawing program. Something I do when I can is use differently colored pencils for different layers; light blue for guidelines, green for basic shape, red for details, and dark blue final lines is how I sometimes do it. I may use different colors at times, but I hope you get the idea.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

To also help with your erasing problems, I suggest trying some different brands (probably not bargain brand) of pencils. Having a good eraser is part of it, but having good graphite can help too. In my experience, Ticonderoga pencils are good if you don't feel like going to a craft store and buying some actual artsy pencils. (I would suggest not worrying about that until you become more comfortable with your drawing personally.) I personally buy the black ones. While my experience with them isn't so much drawing as it is... well, using them for carpentry (marking wood before I cut it and stuff), I can tell you that they erase very well and come with good erasers on the ends that don't become hard and smudgy with time like a lot do.

And don't be afraid to experiment. Maybe Ticonderoga pencils just aren't for you. Don't feel obligated to use something and call it good just because it was recommended by someone. As you continue to make progress and figure things out, you'll figure out what works for you and what doesn't.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

tsMKG wrote:Also, erasing is very problematic in paper because accidentally I erase other things around the thing that I want to erase.
Also it makes the drawing more dirty and ugly.
I usually get around that by going over the parts i want to keep with a pen before erasing the other stuff. i have a set of staedtler 0.1mm, 0.3mm, & 0.5mm fine tip pens just for that. as for the mess, use one of those erasers that is squishy like putty, and softer pencils (personally i prefer 4B) from a good brand, it helps. And use decent drawing paper; printer paper tears and wears away too easily for me.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Thanks, I'll try.

D-Rock, with perspective I meant apply this to the character. Especially the head.
Drawing the head is hard.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

That's what this is for. You can also use stuffed animals or figurines to get a rough idea of the right shape in perspective