Steven Universe

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Steven Universe

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

So, with the second Steven Bomb over with, and a third on its way in July, I figured it was time to have a discussion thread about it.

Who is best Gem? best Character in general? What's the deal with Onion? Do you have a Gemsona?

the answers for me are Garnet, Garnet, shrug, and I have a Gem form.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Whozjama

Re: Steven Universe

Post by Whozjama »

Oh look a Steven Universe thread. Wait wasn't the second Steven Bomb some time ago?

I'll also be rooting for Garnet, she seems like the most stable and wise of the crystal gems. Stevonnie is pretty fun to watch though, they're a fun fusion. I personally see Onion like Gunter, one day the Diamond Authority will face the evil terror that is ONION.

I've enjoyed the recent flood of episodes, it's sometimes heavy, sometimes cryey, but at all times very human. You can really imagine all the issues going on being created/resolved in the characters.
All your acorns are belong to us.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I smiled so very wide that my little cousin thought my face was stuck as I watched the new intro.

My favorite gem is actually Pearl. She was from the start and despite her behavior as a gemling with Rose, she still is.

Best character, though, is Garnet. If it weren't for her, the world would have fallen apart because no one can lead the gems like she can.

I don't wanna talk about the devil spawn Onion.

I don't have a gemsona, because whenever I try to make one the gem is already CANONbut I do have two gem OCs, Topaz and Citrine.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
DigitalBrave3

Post by DigitalBrave3 »

My favorite gem is Garnet. In my opinion, Steven Universe is the best show on Cartoon Network right now. Just saying.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Rewatching the series in preparation for an analysis article, and it is surprising how much the show has developed and the characters matured. It happens so subtly you barely notice it until you look back at the beginning.

What's y'alls favorite songs?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

it's way too hard to choose.
but as far as songs I've listened to/sung multiple times, Stronger Than You, Steven's Lament, and Let Me Drive My Van Into Your Heart are in my top.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I just started watching this show and its genius. Its a smart and complex show.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I love this show. Sworn to the sword especially. That episode was amazing, especially the song and the implications involving Stevonnie.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

This is an awesome fake trailer: Guitar Dad
looks like it could be an actual movie

and while I'm linking stuff, have Ruby's fabulous secret powers
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

So, I really liked the latest episode. I rewatched it immediately after finishing it the first time.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

Oh my gosh! Same! I always do that, and Peridot was really funny in this episode. She had a really short fuse. Jk. That was horrible.
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

also, with her being short, she's even more like Invader Zim. :P
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:also, with her being short, she's even more like Invader Zim. :P
Yes!! They're both short, weird, and green.
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

I don't know what to do with my self right now! Rebecca Sugar announced there will be a Steven Bomb 4 in January! It will start January 4th with "The Answer" where Garnet tells steven about how she came to be. The sneak peek is below. Watch it!

https://youtu.be/7JwvA5an0Lo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In order of the way that the questions were asked.

Amethyst. Ronaldo. He's just lonely since his father spends a lot of time at sea and he has nothing in common with his half-brother Sour Cream. No, but I marathoner the whole show in one week.

Bonus answer: Favorite fusion is Sugilite not just because she's basically Nicki Minaj in gem form. Favorite fusions in order are Sugillite, Opal, Garnet, Sardonyx, Alexandrite, Rainbow Quartz, Stevonnie and Malachite

Though I do have to wonder WHY Estelle was never big in the US. Except for one hit in the US in 2007 (American Boy, which was due to Kanye West being featured on it), she isn't well known.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Steven Universe has long had singers voicing characters, yeah? So who would be an awesome person to voice Yellow Diamond when she eventually appears (which looks to be soon)?

Incredibly unlikely, but I'd dig it if Lady Gaga voiced her. Or maybe Marina and the Diamonds.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm pulling for Madonna or Mariah Carey to voice her. The Queens of Music before anybody else this generation arrived on the scene!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

personally I'm pulling for them to choose Zelda Williams cause I think Kuvira's voice (from legend of Korra) matches her design.

but if they're going with a singer, It would have to be one long established, but who could believably voice a ruthless tyrant.

maybe with a huskier voice. someone who isn't doing much. maybe Cher?

or maybe they'll choose someone more known as a singer for a group (like Aimee Mann for Opal) and they'll get one of the singers from Heart.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Speaking of Opal, I wanna see her again. I know it may not possible right now (since Pearl and Amethyst only do it in EXTREME circumstances) but I wanna see their SUCCESSFUL fusion dance. If only because Amethyst twerks during it.

It may be hard to see the fusions again if they are all voiced by big singers because of their schedule. I won't really hold my breath on Sugillite though. Nicki Minaj is still big. Estelle only had one hit in the US and that was more because she had Kanye West on it and it was nearly a decade ago.

I also wanna see Alexandrite's dance. If all three of them jump into each other, or two fuse and then they fuse with the remaining gem (i.e. Pearl+Amethyst=Opal+Garnet=Alexandrite)
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:personally I'm pulling for them to choose Zelda Williams cause I think Kuvira's voice (from legend of Korra) matches her design.

but if they're going with a singer, It would have to be one long established, but who could believably voice a ruthless tyrant.

maybe with a huskier voice. someone who isn't doing much. maybe Cher?

or maybe they'll choose someone more known as a singer for a group (like Aimee Mann for Opal) and they'll get one of the singers from Heart.
Ooh, yeah, Zelda'd definitely be my first non-singer choice.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Thinking about it some more, I think that maybe Stevie Nicks would make a good choice. That or Kim Carnes.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

listening to Kim Carnes' speaking voice (as of 2013), she doesn't really fit Yellow Diamond for me.
and Stevie Nicks only fits if you think of YD as an older Peridot-like Gem.

listening to Anne Wilson (from Heart)'s speaking voice, it sounds like she could make a good YD.

of course, neither Jasper nor Peridot are played by singers, so YD is likely to be a non-singer too.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Unless Yellow Diamond turns out to be a fusion but that seems very unlikely. Garnet gems can already be different types like pyrope (regenerated Garnet) or almandine (original Garnet). Diamonds are just classified differently.

And not all fusions are voiced by singers so even if she was, that might not be the case. Alexandrite is voiced by a director, Malachite doesn't have a single voice since she fused together for revenge rather than hatred, Rainbow Quartz didn't have a voice but I'd like to think that if she did, she might be voiced by Desirée Goyette (who voiced Danse in Jem and the Holograms and Rainbow Quartz looks EXACTLY like her and she is a singer also), Sardonyx is voiced by a theater actor, the gem that saved William Dewey didn't have a voice, the cluster gems were voiced by Dee Bradley Baker and Zach Callison (if you can call groans voicing) and the cluster that will cause the apocalypse hasn't hatched yet so we don't know who it will be voiced like.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

so I've realized that my answers to the questions I posed at the beginning of the thread have changed.

best gem is a tie between Amethyst and Peridot.
Best character in general may be Steven, specifically when Connie is involved, or Peridot.

my last two answers remain the same.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm changing my favorite gem over to Sapphire who willingly exiled herself to save Ruby from being shattered and possibly used in a fusion experiment. They didn't know each other at ALL when Sapphire did this and Ruby saved Sapphire only because she didn't want to fail. It wasn't until they spent the first few months on Earth together that they finally realized they were in love with each other.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Amazee Dayzee wrote:and possibly used in a fusion experiment.
I personally subscribe to the theory that the experiments didn't start until the rebellion started showing off how powerful mixed fusions could be. which I'm pretty sure didn't start until Garnet. they probably would have just disposed of her shards long before the experiments started.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:They didn't know each other at ALL when Sapphire did this
not entirely true. well, maybe directly. but even if it was just a few seconds, I think experiencing Garnet for the first time would be enough for them to at least get a sense of each other beyond the superficial. even if it is just by experiencing "how is Garnet different from me?"

but you're right, at that point it definitely wasn't love. maybe curiosity? or just wanting to be Garnet again, and that wouldn't happen if they'd shattered Ruby. It may not have been entirely selfless (though does doing things for the sake of a fusion you're part of count as doing it for someone else? now I'm cconfused"
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Went almost all the way through the first season and can't help but never feel like Steven's in any danger in any way, even though he clearly is in many episodes. I tend to care a lot less about his safety than the main character of a lot of other childrens' animated dramas of the 2010s.

It has a bit of a Smurfs (2011 film) problem in that regard

but only for Steven.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well when you get to the second season, things really do seem to get darker.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

so how about that new episodes. lots of stuff to discuss. pink diamond was an inside job, Lion and Lars are half zombies, a bunch of new gems. laggy sapphire is the best.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:so how about that new episodes. lots of stuff to discuss. pink diamond was an inside job, Lion and Lars are half zombies, a bunch of new gems. laggy sapphire is the best.
Dude I know! The trial had me going crazy and Lars being dead and now magical. Ooh so much to discuss. And I cannot deal with how adorable Padpurascha is.