Zootopia Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Douglas Collier

Re: Zootopia is coming

Post by Douglas Collier »

3D wasn't too much better - save the money and watch it twice in 2D. ;)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Finally got around to seeing it. I may want to cosplay Nick sometime.
I give it a score of 0 times checking my watch. that is very good cause I usually check it at least once.
Saturn381 wrote:One of the things that made me giggle is that in on scene of the film, Judy and Nicholas go to this guy selling bootleg DVD's, and they're all anthro versions of recent Disney movies. They even referenced the upcoming Disney films Moana and Gigantic with the guy saying "I even have movies that aren't even come out yet!".
there was one more reference in that scene. the weasel was named Duke Weaselton, and he corrected Judy when she pronounced it Weselton. In Frozen the Duke of Weselton corrected people who pronounced it Weaselton. and both characters were voiced by Alan Tudyk.
Adoring Fan wrote:In fact the ONLY thing that bugged me in the movie was the overuse of the word "Hustle" because, while i am no con artiest, i'm pretty sure that 98% of the time it was being used incorrectly since the real meaning is as a synonym for swindle -OR- to persuade with dubious intent. I think it was only used correctly once... but then its still Disney so what are you gonna do...
every time they used it after the first one was just a callback to the first instance. and people always tend to make nouns out of verbs, so using hustle as a noun isn't far fetched
Furryface18 wrote:But once I found out the hit man was a ram. I was pretty certain it was her and when she showed up at the station I got so excited to see if was right.
which means you weren't 100% sure, and knew there was a chance you were wrong. I wouldn't exactly call it "predictable" if it's just the most likely option of a few. plus the hitman reveal was close enough to her reveal for it to not really be that big of a deal.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

So....many....spoiler tags.........must resist......temptation..
Hi Hi Pie
TheBlasterizer

Post by TheBlasterizer »

IdleCurator wrote:So....many....spoiler tags.........must resist......temptation..
Nooo just watch it, it's too good!
My DA can be found Here!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I found this in my subscription feed just today, :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoKpPBM7fas
supersonicfan169

Post by supersonicfan169 »

SuperStar wrote:Haven't seen the movie yet, but I found this in my subscription feed just today, :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoKpPBM7fas
YES!!!! That was fantastic!!! :mrgreen:
Those who say "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"...
have never played Kerbal Space Program.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Oh! Em! Goodness! Zootopia was amazing! :D I went to an advance screening and I absolutely loved it! I can't wait to go again on Thursday with the local furries!

And I can confirm that the Australian release does have a koala as the newsreader. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hearing talk about the newsreader makes me curious as to which version Thailand's release will use. Considering that most of the movies are English with Thai subs, it would make sense if it was the Moose, but sense it's a regional thing it would also make sense if it was the Panda sense China is close to Thailand.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Found this out online, but did Zootopia have these in the movie in the ending or anywhere? Flying squirrels and jetpack pigs?
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I just checked to see how much it's earned, and it's grossed 431.3 million dollars in nine days!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

GameCobra wrote:Found this out online, but did Zootopia have these in the movie in the ending or anywhere? Flying squirrels and jetpack pigs?
I didn't notice anything like that.

Though it makes me wonder what role bats play in the Zootopia world. Most mammals can't fly, and birds don't seem to be sapient, so...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

The early art designs had upside down housing for bats, but I didn't see any in the final movie
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Saw it this morning, absolutely loved it! There were moments where I literally had no idea where it was going, especially with the culprit. Do agree, in hindsight, it was obvious. Maybe if the other accomplices were other species other than rams?

Plenty of times where I burst out laughing, and more when I just went "****, that's terrible," in regards to the more emotional moments like Nick's backstory.

Also, I really did love those Frozen references. Subtle enough to work, blatant enough to get a laugh out of me.

The climax though, that got intense. It wasn't until Nick went for the neck did I know for certain it was an act.

By the way, the spoiler that was patched out of Disney Infinity? A costume change disc that gave Nick his ZPD uniform. Still find it hilarious that the game was released last year with this ending information, as the description stated that Nick joined the ZPD. Even with the description removed, it still had the image of Nick next to his uniform. At least it didn't give details on the case, just that ending.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Last edited by Sinder on Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I just spent a couple hours learning the chords for Try Everything and playing them on mandolin.
I'll probably record it sometime. but unless I can somehow sing it or get someone else to sing, I won't actually post it cause chords are boring without anything else.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

RGNBrent you know, I kinda wanna try singing it, actually. I'm not a regular at carnegie hall or anything and I also don't know what kind of quality recording equipment I can access right away but hey I wanna try... everything!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Rick's fanboyism is reaching critical levels :3

Time to get in on it! :D
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Rick's comic page has become the hot topic on /r/zootopia on Reddit.
Liam

Post by Liam »

So, it took till the Ides of March for work to clear up and I joined the party just today.

Holy smoke, that's a smart movie! The subtext is cutting deep. They could have easily made the mistake of becoming a preachy moralizing tale, but Disney went all out for this one. The counter-protest against the wave of hatred towards predators, the comments of Bellwether that the prey animals constitute 90% of the populace and will be an unstoppable force if they become a united front that gangs up on the predator minority, and Judy's culturally tone-deaf, ignorant comments on the predator's "biological inclination" are such a crystal-clear allegory for the worldwide cancer of Islamophobia it's astonishing how Disney of all companies could create something so bold and clever.

The movie made it quickly clear this one is not your standard Disney fare, what with self-depreciating digs like Chief Bogo saying something like this is not like in the movies and there won't be a big dance number and everything will be okay, or towards the end where Judy says you can't make the world a better place with bumper sticker slogans.

Sure, for us the routes taken by the narrative were, in the end, predictable, but it's still a kid's movie. And they shook things up by presenting Mayor Lionheart as the fake-out villain, only to have the story continuing. I suspected Bellwether as the true mastermind behind the conspiracy right from the start, but I pegged her as the definitive bad guy after they mentioned she became the new Mayor. The fact Judy initially recruited Nick by nailing him for tax evasion was a nice touch.

Simply an amazing movie.
Yeah, Nick never really faced and overcame his childhood neuroses like Judy did with Gideon. I predict pair therapy coming up in the future.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

That's awesome! Can't wait to see more of Rick's fancomic! :D
Of course, I can't wait to see the movie too, but I have to wait for the Blu-Ray release. Also, looks that in the cinemas of my city it's already out of screening...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Aaaaaah. Rick's comic has me stoked. I'm really excited to see where it goes!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Zomg, it's popular on reddit indeed! Way to go, rick! <3
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

So like....

They find out about the night howlers because the panther overheard the otter muttering about it while he went crazy... Does that mean the otter knew that people were getting shot with distilled night howler?

or I might be remembering it wrong, but even then

either the panther or the otter knew what night howlers did which means they were either involved or knew about ... something

There's something there, I swear.
Maybe.
I'm not sure.

It was a pretty good movie, though.
Just an Arc
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

From what I recall, Otterton is a florist who was involved with Mr. Big, very likely the supplier for the flowers used at his daughters wedding. I think it was stated that Otterton wanted to see him as soon as possible, so maybe he knew about the effects of the Night Howlers and wanted to warn him about the side effects. Issue with this is, why didn't he call him? Maybe Mr. Big doesn't keep a phone for security reasons? I don't know how mafiosos work. Anyway, maybe Bellweather caught wind of this, and had him struck before he could disclose an explanation for others going feral. After he was hit, maybe he knew that what he was starting to go through was the same as the Night Howler side effects, and jumped to that conclusion before going completely feral, which the panther heard.

I'd probably need to see the movie again to be sure, but I don't typically see the same movie in theatres twice, unless I go with someone else. It is one of the few movies that I would consider doing just that, though.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Liam

Post by Liam »

He could've put two and two together after that weasel guy stole the Night Howlers from his shop, maybe even realized the recent string of disappearances is connected as part of a conspiracy, and wanted to be brought to Mr. Big's mansion because it's a secure location.

Anyway, later in the movie we see a snowbear went feral in Tundratown. I don't remember if he looked like he was with Mr. Big's personal guard, but I had the feeling watching this the conspirators sent a message here. "Don't extend protection to anyone related to this case anymore." Or maybe that's just rank speculation on my part. :3
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Part 2 is up! Yay! :3

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wanna know what the juice bottle says. :O

Also that's cute that he changed her ringtone to his voice.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:I wanna know what the juice bottle says. :O
Celarrot
It's delicious!
It's (something I still can't read)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Is "Celarot" a pun on a brand we don't have over here?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Unless proven otherwise, I'm assuming it's "It's time to duel."

And nah, I think it's just celery/carrots.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

It may be based on Clamato (which is clam and tomato juice)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ah, okay. Cool. ^^

Just saw this and had to share it. Don't worry. It doesn't have any spoilers in the video. I didn't look at the comments though so read those with caution if you're going to.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Sleet wrote:I wanna know what the juice bottle says. :O
If I remember correctly, it says "It's Delicious! It's Nutritious!"
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Byron Howard on Twitter answers 5 questions about zootopia that the fans ask alot. Link here: https://twitter.com/ByronPHoward/status ... 0877557760.

Everything that's spoiler blocked is his answer, of course. To avoid spoiling you folks. :3

A) What's Nicholas P. Wilde's middle name? Piberius. (A homage to James Tiberius Kirk)

B) what do Predators Eat? Fish, plant and Insect Protein

C) Why are there only mammals in the city of Zootopia? It made the predator/prey relationship clear. Animals that are not clearly pred/prey were avoided (like primates and some omnivores)

D) Are there birds, reptiles and primates on the world? Maybe. Probably. :)

E) Why is the movie called Zootropolis/Zoomania/Zootopie? Licensing or trademark conflits. All the same movie.
Douglas Collier

I want to see a Zootopia-fied version of "Roar" by Katy Perry. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

rickgriffin wrote:On the other hand, I cried like a baby at so many other scenes and thought the final bit of the ending was intense enough that I'm willing to forgive that.
So, obviously this is a spoilery question but I'm just wondering, did anyone else cry during the movie and what parts? It didn't make me cry, though the scene in which Nick gets snarly is the intense one I'm guessing might do it for some... (which is funny because both Nick and Judy are just playing the part) Oh and the part where little flashback Nick gets muzzled, that may have had me at tears

While I'm happy with the last several Disney movies, none of them have manipulated my emotions in all the right ways that Pixar can. Well, except for Bolt, funnily enough, when Mittens and Rhino stow away with Bolt and Penny under the stretcher. And I actually did get the feels recently when I rewatched the shortfilms, both Paperman and Feast.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Anyone else think Disney could make a pretty good TV show out of Zootopia? like a half hour a week of Nick and Judy solving crimes together?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Anyone else think Disney could make a pretty good TV show out of Zootopia? like a half hour a week of Nick and Judy solving crimes together?
Yes! I would definitely watch it.
Douglas Collier

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Anyone else think Disney could make a pretty good TV show out of Zootopia? like a half hour a week of Nick and Judy solving crimes together?
Depends on their target audience. If they decided to go with smart writing, they could have a following to match (or exceed) the MLP fandom. But if they turned it into just another kid show - just no.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Zootopia would be absolutely perfect for a TV show, in theory. The world is so big and interesting, and there's no end to the stories they could make with it.

I'd be skeptical, though. TV shows based on Disney movies (or animated movies in general) tend to have a significantly lower budget and standard of quality, and tend to target children near-exclusively. So I think that while they could make it fantastic, it'd end up both much, much uglier (good animation ain't cheap), and lacking much of the wit and brilliance of the movie.