any musicians?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: any musicians?

Post by NHWestoN »

Oboe. Which, I guess, I think Daisy plays the oboe off-camera.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

is that any fun to play?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looking at it, it just seems like a more complicated clarinet. XD
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

That sounds fairly complicated.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Not so complicted but the reed's a little tricky. Haven't played in decades and no longer own one. Kinda miss it. It's a good sound for these melancholy days....
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

you can learn to play the laptop and synthesize the same sound.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The oboe is a very difficult sound to synthesize. Though even still, no synthesized instrument sounds as good as the real thing.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I will not at all deny that with maybe 3 specific instruments.

but its a much cheaper idea than buying or renting one if you can find a good VSTI with some good samples on it.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Aww, I love the sound of oboe but I've never been good at woodwinds.
I've got some good soundfonts for it though, and Nexus's hollywood expansion has a good one too. Just too bad it doesn't really fit into my style of music that often.

That's one of the reasons why that spoken interlude on Type O Negative's "Haunted" is one of my favourite musical moments.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

If you've heard of the band AJR, they use a lot of weird woodwinds and brass with with kinda hipster hip hop sound. I like it, it gives me ideas. Also I've never used Nexus. Currently using Massive or serum.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

JayBarker wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:41 am you can learn to play the laptop and synthesize the same sound.
It always helped that I'm a blowhard.... ;)
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

ooooooof
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Don't know what you are ooooooofing about. I have heard much worse jokes. ;)
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

puns and word play get under my skin very easily.
Last edited by JayBarker on Sun May 31, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

my turn to 000oooooooof... I missed your "to" the first time 'round
That sentence might just be a landmine that would be better put, oh, any other way. :lol:
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

fine fine.
96N64player

Post by 96N64player »

This came out longer than I expected. :oops:

Years ago when I was in 5th and 6th grade, my elementary school began a music program and I learned how to play clarinet. I didn't continue to learn after that though. I enjoyed it, but my family couldn't continue to rent the clarinet and I had zero appreciation for music. Years later, my brother introduced me to something called a video game music tracker which is basically a sequencer that emulates older video game sound hardware. So I began to mess around with it, starting by making covers of SNES music on the Sega Genesis (and never showing it to anyone because it made the Genesis look bad) and after a couple of years of using the program and getting better with it, I inadvertently learned music theory and FM synthesis! With revitalized knowledge of music, I decided that I was going to learn how to play an instrument, this time piano (mainly so that I could use synthesizers). Through a series of events that was nothing short of a miracle of God, I was able to acquire a keyboard and get piano lessons. So in short, I was a clarinetist and now I am learning how to play piano. I can only play relatively simple hymns and the piano part of the Housepets! theme I made, but hey, I'll get better.

I also can legitimately say that video games taught me something. :lol:

I also used to be a kazooist, but I lost my yellow kazoo many years ago and never found it. A fact I'm still very very upset about.
Philippians 3:13
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is really cool that you can play three different instruments! Even if it is only a little bit on them that still shows you are very talented! ^_^
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, I'm impressed, 96! :)
roshancookies

Post by roshancookies »

I’ve been pretty into classical music for the last few years. I started playing violin around 9 years ago, and piano 6 years ago, though I definitely consider myself a violinist over a pianist. At first I wasn’t super into it, but starting around 8th grade I started getting more into it and by now it’s basically my main hobby outside of academics. I’ve been in my school’s orchestra every year since 6th grade, which has been a lot of fun. I also joined one of the major youth orchestras in my city in 10th grade. We got to play inside Walt Disney Hall once, which was awesome!

I’ve also dabbled a little into composing. I tried (and failed) to create something that I was happy with for a long time. However, in my junior year of high school I took AP Music Theory taught by someone outside my high school, which helped me understand the process of composition to a much greater degree than I had before.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

roshancookies wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:56 pm I’ve been pretty into classical music for the last few years. I started playing violin around 9 years ago, and piano 6 years ago, though I definitely consider myself a violinist over a pianist. At first I wasn’t super into it, but starting around 8th grade I started getting more into it and by now it’s basically my main hobby outside of academics. I’ve been in my school’s orchestra every year since 6th grade, which has been a lot of fun. I also joined one of the major youth orchestras in my city in 10th grade. We got to play inside Walt Disney Hall once, which was awesome!

I’ve also dabbled a little into composing. I tried (and failed) to create something that I was happy with for a long time. However, in my junior year of high school I took AP Music Theory taught by someone outside my high school, which helped me understand the process of composition to a much greater degree than I had before.
impressive, Rosh!
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I started out training with classical as a kid... these days I'm more into playing electronic and rock related stuff, but I still like listening to classical music from time to time :)

...unless it's snippets of songs played over the intercom at work that sound like they're being recorded off a cheap midi keyboard... :lol: I like classical for the same reasons I like thrash metal, and you really need the real instruments and high-quality audio to get all the little nuances of performance and style that do that kind of music justice.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Real instruments for what? Classical and metal? They do sound the best that way but there are some VSTi's that are getting better and better on that front. They're just so expensive though.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think he meant real instruments as in the physical ones and not the instrument sounds you can get from an audio program.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I understood what he meant, and agreed. I also just said that there are some very good virtual ones on the rise that's pretty good and a lot less midi sounding.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

I don't sing. I hate singing, in fact. But, as many from the fan projects forum can attest, I love writing. Recently, I've started song-writing. I don't think I'm very good at it, in all honesty, but hey, it's a start. My brother owns some Vocaloid software and a microphone, and we used to do some soundtrack style music together on his old tablet.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Thats always fun! Have you though about using a Vocoder to like, half way sing? Or a talk-box Vst? I can't sing at al either but if I was gonna it would basically be that way.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

JayBarker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:24 am Real instruments for what? Classical and metal? They do sound the best that way but there are some VSTi's that are getting better and better on that front. They're just so expensive though.
That there is. The stuff they play over the intercom at the hospital though... it doesn't use those :)
Sounds more like the cheapest recordings they could find. Like general midi on some crappy soundfont. I consider it an insult to the idea of classical music, but that's just me :D

Also, yeah, vocoders are great when you don't want to sound like you. I started out singing that way... eventually figured out a little more how to not sound like me without having to use them every time. Still go back to some of those old sounds occasionally though. Pretty sure I used one of those same harsh buzzy sorta sounds I used to like vocoding with back in the day in at least one place on the album I put out in December...
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Maybe the hospital is trying to bring back Muzak or something. That or someone put in "copy right free classics" and came onto someone's midi play list.

Vocoders ARE fun. I don't mess with them too much but if you get a nice synth behind it you can make some funky stuff.

oh? you made a new album? Proud of it?
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Can play a little rhythm guitar, would love to be able to play piano but these hooves aren't that nimble or coordinated :? .
Disproportionately Dappled
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

If you wanna fake it you can get a synth pickup on your guitar. Or like, an I2M music port thing for a few bucks to fake it.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:34 pm If you wanna fake it you can get a synth pickup on your guitar. Or like, an I2M music port thing for a few bucks to fake it.
Yeah, not really cricket though, is it :)
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I . . .don't know what that means. I've not heard that expression before sadly.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

JayBarker wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:46 pm I . . .don't know what that means. I've not heard that expression before sadly.
It means not very sporting or quite the right thing to do. Really what I meant is a synth is not quite the same thing as an experiencee pianist I guess, ;)

I assume most Texans aren't huge Cricket fans :) .
Last edited by DDeer on Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really? I thought it had something to do with the boring British game. XD
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:02 pm Really? I thought it had something to do with the boring British game. XD
Well, it does in a way I guess, just an expression as Cricket is meant to be a Gentlemans (or womans) game, I conceed it is not a game for those into rapid action but I don't mind watching the ashes highlights when wanting to just relax. (I did warn you all I like watching snooker :) now that's a game I can play)

If you want truly slow try bowls ;)
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

Well, it does in a way I guess, just an expression as Cricket is meant to be a Gentlemans (or womans) game, I conceed it is not a game for those into rapid action but I don't mind watching the ashes highlights when wanting to just relax. (I did warn you all I like watching snooker :) now that's a game I can play)

If you want truly slow try bowls ;)
Thats the most british thing I've heard all day and I didn't understand most of it friend. but my big point is that if you use a guitar synth you can make your guitar sound like a pretty dang decent piano. That's close enough for me, but I can understand being a purist.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Thanks :D made me smile (sorry for the confusing manner :D ) , I must admit some synths are pretty good now, cubase vst was not bad as I recall.
JayBarker

Post by JayBarker »

I've personally never tried cubase. But I've heard only good things. good to hear is have a nice piano.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

One of these days I might open up the GarageBand application I have on my Mac and see what is possible. The only reason why I haven't done it is because I'm not musically talented and I know I will probably suck at making something.