78%
No
22%

Total votes: 191

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

Haters gonna hate, RBH. It's unfortunately part of human nature to despise or at least distrust anything that's different and also to pick on anything they see as weaker to give themselves a feeling of superiority because everyone wants to feel that they're worth something. We may never know the motive of whoever committed that attack nor that guy you saw on youtube. But let's focus on the positives on the event instead. MWFF is still a great con, the incident was swiftly and safely dealt with and everyone is okay.

With that said, let's do as Jeff suggested and drop the topic.
Kitela wrote:I'm definitely a furry, but under no circumstances would I ever consider myself to be a furry.
Er... Could you clarify that please, Kit? :P
Last edited by Hlaoroo on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Hlaoroo wrote:
Kitela wrote:I'm definitely a furry, but under no circumstances would I ever consider myself to be a furry.
Er... Could you clarify that please, Kit? :P
All of my interest in the fandom add up to be being a furry, even having a fursona, but only other furries could identify me as one. I have many interest, but not many hold significant meaning to me.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I get it now. You're saying that you fit other people's definitions of furry but you personally don't identify as furry.
And that's just fine. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Correct, and I don't mind if anyone else considers me to be one. I actually had one acquaintance meet a furry and from them, determine that I might know about the fandom.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

I think I'm on a similar boat to Kit's.

Still voted "no" though.

I don't feel like a furry.
Just an Arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

What exactly does a furry feel like?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:What exactly does a furry feel like?
...er....."furry" ? :lol:
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Hmmmm... Warm and fuzzy? No wait, that's because I'm under a heater...
Generally if you feel involved with the fandom or affiliate with it. I have no real character or suit but I still decide I am. :P
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Hmmm...still not furry. I do find myself appreciating anthropomorphic art a tad more though. Also drawing animals in my free time because I'm too lazy to learn human proportions ugh.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

deepskycyan wrote:Hmmm...still not furry. I do find myself appreciating anthropomorphic art a tad more though. Also drawing animals in my free time because I'm too lazy to learn human proportions ugh.
That brings up some interesting questions about drawing furries. Every artist has their interpretations of how they should look. For example, how many fingers, digitigrade vs plantigrade legs, how wings and arms should look either combined or separate, etc.

And luckily, the Belfry has a furry tag to filter its webcomics.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

I like to see the interpretations between artist and how anthropomorphized their drawings are.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Even though I don't generally look at furry art, I do prefer to see a more humanized version than not.

It just gets weird when they look too much like the animals that they represent.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Yeah, I think there's a fine balance, too. However, the the fact that the art style is between drawing both human and animal allows for more originality. Even though I lack creativity with drawing anything, If I were to start drawing anthropomorphic art(like, practice non-stop -I can't draw much-), I think even I could do something original.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

JeffCvt wrote:Even though I don't generally look at furry art, I do prefer to see a more humanized version than not.

It just gets weird when they look too much like the animals that they represent.
For me it's the other way around. I think uncanny valley when I see pictures that are basically just humans with animal features. I prefer a more animalistic view.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

In general, I look at most furry art with a humanized perspective. Although I have a humanized view, it doesn't mean I prefer it. Although the human body is cool, I find it boring so adding animalistic features is more favorable in my opinion. I have my sense of perspective mostly because I am more accustomed towards it.
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

Hlaoroo wrote: For me it's the other way around. I think uncanny valley when I see pictures that are basically just humans with animal features. I prefer a more animalistic view.
yes I share the same view as well , they're , after all , non-human characters , and I like the animal aspect of them :P
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I'm training with semi-realistic furry drawing, slowly for now. After got the fursona realization, that other feature will make me consider a real furry, of the median/casual types.
Bucky-Roo wrote:In general, I look at most furry art with a humanized perspective. Although I have a humanized view, it doesn't mean I prefer it. Although the human body is cool, I find it boring so adding animalistic features is more favorable in my opinion. I have my sense of perspective mostly because I am more accustomed towards it.
That's why I'm loving furry art, especially those with anthropomorphic features being halfway between human and animal ones (like real paws instead of a weird feet form). I'm not so fan of hair added on the head, but it's always a nice addition also indispensable for the female characters emphasis (some longer fur which imitates hair is a valid alternative).
I also like more cartooned styles, many feral forms and some funny animal design.
Hlaoroo wrote:For me it's the other way around. I think uncanny valley when I see pictures that are basically just humans with animal features. I prefer a more animalistic view.
If you're talking about those called kemonomimi, I have the same reaction too. For me is impossible find something attractive in them.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do have to admit, that until I realized that I was a furry, I had no problems with people bashing the fandom. Now if somebody does so, let's just say I know where most of the bodies are buried.
Liam

Post by Liam »

In case you have a presence on these sites at all, what's more prevalent here, FurAffinitytians or Weasylites?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I do have to admit, that until I realized that I was a furry, I had no problems with people bashing the fandom. Now if somebody does so, let's just say I know where most of the bodies are buried.
The cemetery?

I hate to admit it, but until I realized I was a furry, I was one of the people bashing the fandom, thinking it was people coming together and doing nonforum appropriate things. I would bash them to my friends. I don't remember this time well, but I do know it happened.

Stupid internet giving me the wrong idea. Wasn't until my friends started to joke around that I was a furry that I actually looked into it and decided I liked the fandom. Hard to believe that was only in late June early July.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Liam wrote:In case you have a presence on these sites at all, what's more prevalent here, FurAffinitytians or Weasylites?
Fun Fact: Housepets! shares servers with Weasyl. I have accounts at both sites.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yes the cemetery. I definitely keep bodies there...

I have accounts on both Weasyl and FurAffinity but I don't really go to either, though sometimes I look at FA to see if I can find some really good anthro marines (I like marines).
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

I'd like to use my FA account more once this semester is done. It's been dead for years since I started it.

I don't even know what Weasyl is... Is that a newer site?
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I have a FA account that I use sometimes. Never heard of Weasyl before reading it here...
Liam

Post by Liam »

In a nutshell, Weasyl is the big competitor to FA.

The site was founded by former staff of the latter and other prominent/dedicated members of the fandom out of frustration with FA's management. You may be unaware of this, but it's become something of an open secret that the site is run very badly, with persistent problems like unprocessed complaints about violations of site rules piling up and rampant cronyism. Case in point, just a few weeks ago a major outrage went down after it transpired the latest addition to the software development team is a hacker with a history of sabotaging projects he participated in through backdoors to their servers and other things after he ragequitted them. Oh yeah, and he had secretly access to the codebase the whole year before the announcement...

So, uh, you should watch out what information you leave on that site.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't really leave any information on there so I'm fine. Its not like I was gonna put down my mother's maiden name and my social security number down.

I don't know my SSN by heart.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Liam wrote:In a nutshell, Weasyl is the big competitor to FA.

The site was founded by former staff of the latter and other prominent/dedicated members of the fandom out of frustration with FA's management. You may be unaware of this, but it's become something of an open secret that the site is run very badly, with persistent problems like unprocessed complaints about violations of site rules piling up and rampant cronyism. Case in point, just a few weeks ago a major outrage went down after it transpired the latest addition to the software development team is a hacker with a history of sabotaging projects he participated in through backdoors to their servers and other things after he ragequitted them. Oh yeah, and he had secretly access to the codebase the whole year before the announcement...

So, uh, you should watch out what information you leave on that site.
So, you would say Weasyl is a better operated FA?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Our server sugar glider, inaki, is one of Weasyl's directors. I know the team there cares a lot about getting the site right and taking care of members. I don't know any FA administrators personally.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Few people would deny that Weasyl is a better site than FA. FA just has momentum, which is very important for an art site.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I don't really leave any information on there so I'm fine. Its not like I was gonna put down my mother's maiden name and my social security number down.
But don't forget evil hacker-persons can erase you from every public record just with your passwords!

You have seen that documentary with Sandra Bullock in it, The Net? :3
Kitela wrote:So, you would say Weasyl is a better operated FA?
Well, as Kant said in his Critique of Pure Reason:

You betcha!
Sleet wrote:Few people would deny that Weasyl is a better site than FA. FA just has momentum, which is very important for an art site.
Not to forget the bigger user count, if only 'cause they're around longer. Furries are creatures of habit and convenience. No matter how bad it gets, you're gonna hear "but everybody's on Facebook FurAffinity!"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Actually I haven't seen that movie. I don't really watch movies unless they are with my boyfriend and on DVD and something he likes.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

I just took a look at Weasyl and it looks a lot like FA. Might make an account there.

I'll be getting a fursona commission done soon (finally) and i'll probably find an artist through FA, as there would be more artist there. Though I may make an account and see who on Weasyl as well.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

I have an account on dA, but that's just for being able to see all submissions without confirming that I want to do so all the time. I really don't like the colorful, playful kindergarten look dA has.
My main account is on FA, I like the page's struture and the clear and simple colores on it pretty much.
I also have a Weasyl account, but that's pretty new and I'm not used to it yet, but the Weasyl design looks good as well and maybe I'll be more active there in the future..
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My main account is on DA, but I just use it to comment.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Liam wrote:Not to forget the bigger user count, if only 'cause they're around longer. Furries are creatures of habit and convenience.
That's part of the momentum I mean. FA just has everyone on it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:My main account is on DA, but I just use it to comment.
My main account is on DA, I use it to comment, as well as submit my crappy art.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Your art is a lot better than my pictures that I took on a crappy phone.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Your art is a lot better than my pictures that I took on a crappy phone.
I wish I had a working scanner, then maybe I would do better by drawing it on paper first.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialHousep ... 0490214306
Is anyone else going to this? My friend Stan and I are planning on being there. :D
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wish I could but I live 2356 miles away and I'm too broke to get a plane ticket. And a bit afraid to fly.