Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Yes
146
78%
No
41
22%
 
Total votes: 187

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 17107
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well know you do have a chance to make it in this new one.
Avatar (c) smawzyuw2

User avatar
JeffCvt
Posts: 2847
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:33 pm
Location: Somewhere between 8:30 and the color red

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by JeffCvt »

Sleet was referring to the fact that (s)he made the old "Are you a furry?" thread but did not make this one. I fail to see how Sleet would be able to "make it in this new one" since you cannot make a thread in a thread.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

User avatar
Douglas Collier
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm
Location: Housepets! Universe - Babylon Gardens

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Douglas Collier »

Well, (s)he could edit the first post. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.

User avatar
JeffCvt
Posts: 2847
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:33 pm
Location: Somewhere between 8:30 and the color red

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by JeffCvt »

Sleet actually did edit my post.

Well, he didn't mess with anything I wrote, she simply added a link to the old thread.

You know, it never fails to make me think how funny it is that I, the non-furry mod, made the current furry thread. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

User avatar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Posts: 14050
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Down under Down Under
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

True but changing posters is something that only a select few people can do. It's a special permission only given out to those who need it. I can do it so I can manage the RPs when GMs change since I'm GM Liaison but as far as I know I don't think globals can do it. I could be wrong though.

But let's stay on topic so we don't have to close this thread. Stop derailing us, Sleet. :P

Personally I like this thread better than the old one because it allows people to choose their own definition of furry and define themselves how they want to be defined and I think that's important in any aspect of life. You are who you want to be and not what society defines you as. Don't get me wrong, societal pressures inasmuch as sticking to conventions and following manners and suchlike are definitely important but there's a line where sensibility stops and personal bias starts and that's where we need to be careful.

So yes, I am a furry, not because society says I am, not because I meet some sort of checklist of required attributes, but because I want to be furry.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Image

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17218
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Sleet »

Well the old one did too, it just confused a lot of people. :P

People tend to overthink the whole "furry" thing as if it's a bigger deal than it really is. Pfft, nerds. *giggles*
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

User avatar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Posts: 14050
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Down under Down Under
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

Sleet wrote:Well the old one did too, it just confused a lot of people. :P
That's what I meant. This one's more clear from the outset, enabling better discussion.
Sleet wrote:People tend to overthink the whole "furry" thing as if it's a bigger deal than it really is. Pfft, nerds. *giggles*
Oh, definitely. The way I see it the furry fandom is no different to any other, and just like any other it's personal preference as to whether or not you identify with it. No thinking required. *giggles*
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Image

User avatar
dtlux1
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:27 am
Location: PA, USA
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by dtlux1 »

I was just thinking recently that the story I read that led me down the road to becoming a furry was only back in May 2014, about a week before this thread was created. I started to read it on May 1st, and that started a chain of events that led me to where I am now, and it all started with a single picture from the story I found by accident. I was surprised thinking about how recent it was, because I have changed so much and it seems so long ago, when in reality it was only 10 months ago.

It is great how stumbling upon a picture can set off a huge chain of events. :)

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17218
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Sleet »

Well that's usually what starts a fandom. A single exposure that entices you into wanting more.
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

User avatar
Douglas Collier
Posts: 3394
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 pm
Location: Housepets! Universe - Babylon Gardens

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Douglas Collier »

Sleet wrote:Well that's usually what starts a fandom. A single exposure that entices you into wanting more.
Isn't that called addiction? :P :?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.

User avatar
Kitela
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:18 am
Location: OH

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Kitela »

I've noticed that when I discover a book (or sometimes a comic) that I like, I'll read it until it's finished without saving any of it for later reading. Then I'll usually end up looking for more of them that are similar.

Also, unrelated but related, whenever I glance at the title of this thread, I perceive it as 'Do you call yourself a furry?'

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 17107
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sure sounds like it is an addiction Doug. :geek:
Avatar (c) smawzyuw2

User avatar
Czukay
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: NoVA

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Czukay »

I don't really know what to say, so I'll abstain... You see, irl I am a non-furry because I'm not sure my family would support me going in that direction, and here I'm pretty sure most people consider me to be a furry...
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 17107
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That pretty much applies to me also. In real life, I'm not a furry because I don't dress up, but I am one online.
Avatar (c) smawzyuw2

User avatar
ArcWolf
Just An Arc
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:39 pm
Location: Anywhere.

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by ArcWolf »

If by "dress up" you mean fursuiting
I don't think most furries fursuit due to the costs involved.
Just an Arc

User avatar
dtlux1
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:27 am
Location: PA, USA
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by dtlux1 »

The only people in real life that know are 2 of my friends from my old school that I talk to every day on Skype, other than them I am only one online. Even when I talk to them in real life, this point hardly comes up.

They were actually the ones that started the joke that I was a furry, causing me to look into the fandom more and decide that I liked it. :D

User avatar
Cesco
Posts: 3939
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Cesco »

For me, there's nothing concerning furry in real life, it's only an Internet related activity and interest.
I talked about furry culture and fandom to a friend, and obviously he didn't know anything about it, but he neither looked so intrigued about the argument. :P In total, Italian furries should be only few hundreds...
Image

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 17107
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah, thats what I meant: fursuiting. I was never really any good with terms like these.
Avatar (c) smawzyuw2

User avatar
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles
Posts: 2835
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: The Housepets Forum ^^

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Obbl »

Czukay wrote:I don't really know what to say, so I'll abstain... You see, irl I am a non-furry because I'm not sure my family would support me going in that direction, and here I'm pretty sure most people consider me to be a furry...
Your family would not support you going in the direction of liking cartoon animals? :? That seems overly harsh ;)
Amazee Dayzee wrote:That pretty much applies to me also. In real life, I'm not a furry because I don't dress up, but I am one online.
As mentioned throughout this thread, most furries actually don't fursuit due to the prohibitive costs of attaining a suit or even just lack of interest in that particular activity. You are a furry because of your interests not because of the other extraneous things like having a fursona, going to cons, and wearing a fursuit. It's not this secret club where you need to jump through hoops to gain entry: you are because you say you are. :D
Image

User avatar
Whozjama
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:04 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Whozjama »

I agree, I pretty much don't have anything to do with furry irl. I've one furry friend that I skype from time to time, but most of my involvement in the fandom is consuming furry comics,art,music, podcasts, stories, etc.
Well of course there's all you fine people I try to talk to, and considering this thread even exists I could guess that I'm not among complete strangers. XP
All your acorns are belong to us.

User avatar
Deske
Posts: 4240
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:21 am
Location: Pacific Southwest, warmer than the midwest...

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Deske »

I too do not do furry things IRL. I keep everything I do confined to the internet or Skype.

User avatar
Czukay
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: NoVA

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Czukay »

Obbl wrote:
Czukay wrote:I don't really know what to say, so I'll abstain... You see, irl I am a non-furry because I'm not sure my family would support me going in that direction, and here I'm pretty sure most people consider me to be a furry...
Your family would not support you going in the direction of liking cartoon animals? :? That seems overly harsh.
It's not that they're harsh or strict... It's just... I guess I fear I'd be thought of as weird... I mean you gotta admit not all of the fandom is like these forums, and there are stereotypes I'd like to avoid... I will probably persue animation in my life anyway XD Sorry if that got a bit heavy.
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.

User avatar
Render
Wanna play a game?
Posts: 12332
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:14 pm
Location: Germany, Europe, Terra

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Render »

As much as you don't have to swing a lightsaber to like Star Wars you don't need to wear a tail to like anthropomorphic animals and/or be a furry.
There's no need to proof to others that you are a furry, you can be one just for yourself or only online - it's something you decide for yourself. And even if you decide that it doesn't fit you to call yourself a furry, it's fine. Everyone is free to do that.

Czukay wrote:It's not that they're harsh or strict... It's just... I guess I fear I'd be thought of as weird... I mean you gotta admit not all of the fandom is like these forums, and there are stereotypes I'd like to avoid... I will probably persue animation in my life anyway XD Sorry if that got a bit heavy.
No worries. There are things in the fandom that aren't forum appropriate (but that exists everywhere) - so we just don't discuss them here. If somebody askes about that you can still say that there are also HUGE parts that are different and fully nice and that's what you aim for.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Czukay
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: NoVA

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Czukay »

Render. You speak truth. Perhaps I ought to go make an FA account....
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17218
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Sleet »

You can't be a furry online but not in real life. Either you like anthropomorphic animals or you don't.

Also, you can always make an FA only if you want to. :3 You can be a furry and not have an FA if you don't want one. But you can also have one if you want!
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 17107
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have an FA but I use it sparingly. I believe I said that
Avatar (c) smawzyuw2

User avatar
Czukay
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: NoVA

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Czukay »

Well I guess I yam who I yam (Popeye Reference XD). I'll just try to stay true to myself as I find out who I really am while going down the muddled and confusing path we call life. Cheers to everyone, furry or no! :P
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.

User avatar
dtlux1
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:27 am
Location: PA, USA
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by dtlux1 »

Czukay wrote:Well I guess I yam who I yam (Popeye Reference XD). I'll just try to stay true to myself as I find out who I really am while going down the muddled and confusing path we call life. Cheers to everyone, furry or no! :P
That is a great way to look at it, hard to do sometimes though. :D

User avatar
tychoaussie
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:00 pm
Location: East lansing, MI

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by tychoaussie »

>whew<
I just got back from another overseas trip to central Asia! & I am jet-lagged today.
By the way, it IS possible to be a furry, have your family and friends know about it, and actually live a normal life.
The trick is to limit your exposure to the internet, especially things like FA, The chive, Yik Yak, Reddit, and Tumblr.
Avoid those sites, and it's likely you can thrive with significantly less blows to your self-esteem. Most perceived prejudice
is sourced from the furry's own mind, I think.

Selfie last year's trip on the 747:

Image
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 17107
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is a cute picture of you! Nice job on the selfie!
Avatar (c) smawzyuw2

User avatar
Liam
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: BMW-topia

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Liam »

Just a heads-up, guys, FurAffinity has been sold to some sorta 3D avatar chat program company three months ago. This has been announced by site management today.

Now, I don't have one a' them fancy business diplomas or nuthin', but this smells mighty fishy, yessir!
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.

Civilization
Posts: 1669
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:59 pm
Location: Homeless, USA

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Civilization »

I know what you mean Czukay, I am a furry, I feel weird about it all the time and worry about what other people will think. But, like I said I am a furry and I am proud of it! Who cares what others think, if they don't like it then they do not need to associate with you, and if your family loves you, they will understand.
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.

User avatar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Posts: 14050
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Down under Down Under
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

Eh, sites change ownership all the time so it's probably no big deal. FA is assuring users that they retain the rights to the users' work and nothing will change except maybe a few more ads on the site (because there's just not enough advertising on the internet already, is there?). I'm wondering if this might even mean some changes for the better. With FA now owned by new people it's possible there may be some staff changes that might help clear up earlier controversies. Or so we can hope, at least.
Civilization wrote:I know what you mean Czukay, I am a furry, I feel weird about it all the time and worry about what other people will think. But, like I said I am a furry and I am proud of it! Who cares what others think, if they don't like it then they do not need to associate with you, and if your family loves you, they will understand.
The way I see it, being furry is no more weird than being a fan of anything else and if you keep away from the darker side of the fandom then there's nothing weird about it. I mean, all it is is some harmless and cute pictures, some stories about animals, and perhaps some people putting on costumes. What's so strange about that? I think a lot of the weird feeling about furriness comes from the unfortunate reputation the fandom has but as long as you keep yourself to a high standard and don't let the negativity reflect on you then I think you've nothing to worry about. You're quite right though that people should accept it as part of you in the same way they'd accept any other aspect of you personality.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Image

User avatar
Czukay
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: NoVA

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Czukay »

I highly recommend reading this: One of dogbomb's journals...
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 17107
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I had no clue whatsoever that FurAffinity was sold to somebody else. Oh well. As long as it radically change the site, I'll be fine.
Avatar (c) smawzyuw2

User avatar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Posts: 14050
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Down under Down Under
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

Czukay wrote:I highly recommend reading this: One of dogbomb's journals...
Wow. I like that journal! That's really great! Thanks for sharing, Czukay!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Image

User avatar
Czukay
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:51 pm
Location: NoVA

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Czukay »

No problem! I've actually been a HUGE fan of dogbomb, since before I was even a furry, his stuff is awesome. He goes out and fursuits to bring joy into people's lives, and he has so many stories about children he's encountered, from funny to serious! I seriously recommend his stuff to anyone :P
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.

User avatar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Posts: 14050
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Down under Down Under
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

I'd never heard of him. I'll have to go look him up.

I found quite by chance an great article on buzzfeed about what furries really are.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Image

User avatar
dtlux1
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:27 am
Location: PA, USA
Contact:

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by dtlux1 »

That article on Buzzfeed is great, I was one to actually believe all the myths and rumors until late June 2014. I really liked reading that, it showed stuff from a good side, and made good points. Usually the negative is what is focused with anything, and that is sad.

I can't read the thing on Furaffinity right now though, as my school's security won't allow me passed the DDoS protection. I will read that when I get home.

User avatar
tychoaussie
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:00 pm
Location: East lansing, MI

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by tychoaussie »

Czukay wrote:No problem! I've actually been a HUGE fan of dogbomb, since before I was even a furry, his stuff is awesome. He goes out and fursuits to bring joy into people's lives, and he has so many stories about children he's encountered, from funny to serious! I seriously recommend his stuff to anyone :P
Dogbomb, Kijani, and I will be rooming together at Anthrocon this year. We all own Beastcub fursuits, by the way. Dogbomb and I are actually planning on attending a vintage grand prix race in the Pittsburgh area while we're there. He seems like a class act through and through.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.

Post Reply