Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 191

Sam-the-cat

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Sam-the-cat »

dtlux1 wrote:I do, but only since July. I also have little interest in fur suits myself, but I find them interesting when other people wear them. I just have a general interest, and consider myself one, I do not have a fursona though. As I said, just a general interest.
How nice! :) Furry fandom can always use some more in-crowd, bystanders and everything in between.

I'm not sure what you think about it, but people from the outside tend to think that Furry fandom is all about fursuiting. In reality, probably only 25% are into fursuiting, the other 75% is into everything else that you can do with animal characters. Like making graphic art, making comics, animations, plushies, writing stories, online roleplaying, collecting stuff, even making 'furry' music or just attending furry meetings and having fun.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Sam-the-cat wrote:
dtlux1 wrote:I do, but only since July. I also have little interest in fur suits myself, but I find them interesting when other people wear them. I just have a general interest, and consider myself one, I do not have a fursona though. As I said, just a general interest.
How nice! :) Furry fandom can always use some more in-crowd, bystanders and everything in between.

I'm not sure what you think about it, but people from the outside tend to think that Furry fandom is all about fursuiting. In reality, probably only 25% are into fursuiting, the other 75% is into everything else that you can do with animal characters. Like making graphic art, making comics, animations, plushies, writing stories, online roleplaying, collecting stuff, even making 'furry' music or just attending furry meetings and having fun.
Let me just say that I became one because my friends started a joke up that I was one. I started to play along with the joke, so I had to look into the stuff that was made by furries. I then found that I actually did have an interest in that stuff.

Before the joke, I just thought that furries were people who dressed up in fur suits and do things that I can't mention on a PG rated forum. I was misled by the internet.

After looking into it, I found the truth, and found it interesting. :D

My favorite part is the art, animations, and comics.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

dtlux1 wrote:I was misled by the internet.
Most people are. :P

Everyone forgets that just about all fandoms have people who do non-PG stuff. And that most of the people in those fandoms aren't involved with it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The people that do non-PG stuff are usually on the...how can I put this nicely? Very dirty-minded.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

JeffCvt wrote:
dtlux1 wrote:I was misled by the internet.
Most people are. :P

Everyone forgets that just about all fandoms have people who do non-PG stuff. And that most of the people in those fandoms aren't involved with it.
Yep, usually when there is a bad part of ANYTHING, people focus on that.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:The people that do non-PG stuff are usually on the...how can I put this nicely? Very dirty-minded.
Well, yes. I guess that goes without saying.

Actually, before Housepets, I wasn't even aware of furries. I found the comic, joined the forum, and then found the topics related to them. And I still don't consider myself a furry because Housepets is pretty much the only "furry" thing that I follow and genuinely hope doesn't stop.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Interestingly, fursuiting, specifically freelance mascotting is the only really furry thing I do. That, and follow housepets. I guess by default whether I deny it or not, the fursuiting likely defines me as a furry. Can a fursuiter that's addicted to fursuiting not be a furry? I'll define myself as furry on the odd months and be a hooman on even months. That makes about as much sense as any reason I've seen thus far
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

tychoaussie wrote:Interestingly, fursuiting, specifically freelance mascotting is the only really furry thing I do. That, and follow housepets. I guess by default whether I deny it or not, the fursuiting likely defines me as a furry. Can a fursuiter that's addicted to fursuiting not be a furry? I'll define myself as furry on the odd months and be a hooman on even months. That makes about as much sense as any reason I've seen thus far
I'd think that would automatically make you a furry, but then again, there is no defined definition of furry. I guess it depends on who you ask. :P
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

dtlux1 wrote: I'd think that would automatically make you a furry, but then again, there is no defined definition of furry. I guess it depends on who you ask. :P
The way I see it though , because there's no defined definition of furry , everyone has their own definition of the word , along with whatever impression they have toward the community , good or bad , worst case scenario , the person you ask might assume that furries are only consist of the......"minor individuals" like you guys have mentioned above , so consider yourself a furry based on someone else's point of view might not be the best option , what important is whether you consider yourself one base on your own definition of it.

But then again , that's just my opinion :P
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

serence ice fox wrote:
dtlux1 wrote: I'd think that would automatically make you a furry, but then again, there is no defined definition of furry. I guess it depends on who you ask. :P
The way I see it though , because there's no defined definition of furry , everyone has their own definition of the word , along with whatever impression they have toward the community , good or bad , worst case scenario , the person you ask might assume that furries are only consist of the......"minor individuals" like you guys have mentioned above , so consider yourself a furry based on someone else's point of view might not be the best option , what important is whether you consider yourself one base on your own definition of it.

But then again , that's just my opinion :P
I agree. Since there is no set definition, it is your opinion that decides if you are or not. I was just saying that under my opinion that a fur suit would make you a furry. :D

It is only up to you though, since there is no set definition.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know a few people who have been high school mascots but wouldn't consider themselves to be furries.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I know a few people who have been high school mascots but wouldn't consider themselves to be furries.
Mascots are different, they are for a different reason.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

dtlux1 wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I know a few people who have been high school mascots but wouldn't consider themselves to be furries.
Mascots are different, they are for a different reason.
Like some who mascot just for the sake to playing the role as a character?
Last edited by Kitela on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

people choose to be mascots usually to feel like a part of the team without having to be able to play the sport.

fursuiting is like (and sometimes, as in tycho's case, is) freelance mascotting, and so there isn't a team associated with it. fursuiting is just to be the other character and entertain people.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Okay. I kinda had it the other way around then. (I don't know why some people do things)
Though I don't consider myself much of a furry, fursuiting sounds really fun. I'd probably never buy one, but I'd definitely seize the opportunity if I could try one on.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Also I'm sure that MOST mascots won't even know what a furry is.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Kitela wrote:Okay. I kinda had it the other way around then. (I don't know why some people do things)
Though I don't consider myself much of a furry, fursuiting sounds really fun. I'd probably never buy one, but I'd definitely seize the opportunity if I could try one on.
I may try one on if I got the opportunity, but those things are really expensive. I could never find a reason for myself to buy one. I find it fun to see others do it, and I like it when they do it, but I don't see the fun if I did it. There was that one King fursuit that looked cool at the last Anthrocon though, that may be able to make me get one. They are just too expensive for me to bother.

You never know if I would be able to try one on. I do live in Pittsburgh, and that is where Anthrocon is every year for the past 10 years. So in the future I may have a chance.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Also I'm sure that MOST mascots won't even know what a furry is.
This could also be true. :lol:
Sam-the-cat

Post by Sam-the-cat »

dtlux1 wrote:I may try one on if I got the opportunity, but those things are really expensive.
That's spot on. I think fursuiting can be very cool, but it's not a cheap hobby. There are commercial companies that can make more or less customized suits, for a price. I guess making your own suit from scratch requires a lot of skills, trial and error ... and money too.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And if you do make a mistake, you can't really go back and start all over since they do cost an arm and a leg.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Sam-the-cat wrote:
dtlux1 wrote:I may try one on if I got the opportunity, but those things are really expensive.
That's spot on. I think fursuiting can be very cool, but it's not a cheap hobby. There are commercial companies that can make more or less customized suits, for a price. I guess making your own suit from scratch requires a lot of skills, trial and error ... and money too.
That price being $1000 to $2000+ :|
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

High-detail, elaborate fursuits can cost upward of $10,000.

Partial fursuits can cost just hundreds. They're great if your fursona wears clothes. Not so much if they don't (like mine).l
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then I guess you better get cracking on raising $10,000 for your fursona then huh? :lol:
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

And the price, mixed with the not high interest is why I don't have one. As I said, it is fun to see other people have them, but I wouldn't have much fun myself in one.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My fursona would only be like $2000. Nothing particularly complex about it!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Sleet wrote:That's why my fursona is all the colors.

And glows in the dark.

And wears non-matching arm and leg warmers.

And has glowsticks for femurs.

And rainbow-colored eagle wings.

And a V6 engine.

And eleven tails.
Nothing complex at all. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The femur surgery is the hardest part.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Geez, I hope they give you enough Propofol during the surgery to knock you out.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:The femur surgery is the hardest part.
do you have enough medical knowledge to do it yourself, or is that still a few years out?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

JeffCvt wrote:
Sleet wrote:That's why my fursona is all the colors.

And glows in the dark.

And wears non-matching arm and leg warmers.

And has glowsticks for femurs.

And rainbow-colored eagle wings.

And a V6 engine.

And eleven tails.
Nothing complex at all. :P
Couldn't cost more than ten, maybe fifteen dollars for the suit. Right?
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
do you have enough medical knowledge to do it yourself, or is that still a few years out?
I can do it, I learned in Surgeon Simulator 2013. 8-)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sleet, whatever you do, just stay away from Mr. Crazy over here. *backs away slowly*
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Sleet, whatever you do, just stay away from Mr. Crazy over here. *backs away slowly*
You talking about me? I am not crazy, I just offered to do a highly dangerous surgery I learned to do from a video game. What's wrong with that? :D
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I do that all the time :lol:
11 tails? Suddenly my tail slap seems inferior. :| also how do you balance with all those? :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Kyuunado wrote:I do that all the time :lol:
11 tails? Suddenly my tail slap seems inferior. :| also how do you balance with all those? :lol:
Maybe some training wheels are attached? That would be the best explanation to how balancing works.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

You feel inferior? :lol: (Nah, I'm actually pretty satisfied with my little stump.)
Wear a bag of bricks on the front as a counterbalance? :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Douglas Collier wrote:
You feel inferior? :lol: (Nah, I'm actually pretty satisfied with my little stump.)
Wear a bag of bricks on the front as a counterbalance? :P
I find this idea to be far more logical than training wheels. :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If you value your life and your sanity, stay away from the guy who believes that bullet proof underpants can stop medication syringes.

But back on topic. Has anybody seen a good kitsune fursuit?
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I saw someone try, but the nine tails couldn't move at all and kept hitting objects as they turned around. Good luck getting robotic ones and not becoming a super villain. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Nine tails on a fox is difficult enough to make sense even in drawings. Let alone in real-life physical space with tails that don't move.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
I can do the surgery on myself but the tough part is figuring out how to break my own legs and still walk. Otherwise they won't glow.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

You could cheat and have the glowsticks simply lie right ontop of your femur.

Then you can just punch your thighs to get the sticks to light.

However: I've seen some glowsticks you have to freeze up in order to use them again.

How will you go about that?
Just an Arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

How would you do that without being under general anesthesia? I can only assume femur surgery is PAINFUL.