What Are You Doing Today?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: What Are You Doing Today?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I ended up napping also when I got home. I didn't realize how tired I was. :lol:
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:21 pm
DDeer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:49 pm Yeah! Go Sophie, great news she has rallied Weston, funnily enough stumbled across this song recently, the video made me think of your 3 pawed friend

https://youtu.be/F_TLHH4bss8
Charming voice and video, DD. Sophie's not quite as incapacitated as that little guy - she's only missing her paw. There's a footpad about the size of a quarter on her "wrist" where a paw joint would attached. She spent the day napping for both of us while I did Christmas cards. Thanks, chum.
Thanks, quite a catchy number now I have had a few listens. More Christmas shopping for me, also got a few games to keep us entertained over the break.
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

About to go and get dinner that we just ordered.
Last edited by Amazee Dayzee on Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Writing Christmas cards.
gforce

Post by gforce »

Packing up for a trip down south to see family for the holidays.
That sounded better in my head
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

gforce wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:23 am Packing up for a trip down south to see family for the holidays.
Enjoy!
.... but be safe, okay.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Wrapping presents and walking in fog.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Running around making last minute purchases. Eeeegh!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Watching the Snowdog with the family, Mrs deer always cries at the start.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Getting the house ready for Christmas for tomorrow since we are gonna have people over.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Getting things ready for church dinner tomorrow.
Had to help Sophie find her sheep doll. I don't know which of us is less educable - her for losing it or me for looking all over when she always loses the sheep the same way (accidentally drops the doll down the basement stairs). When she was younger, she'd just go fetch the doll herself, sort fo an amusement, but her legs are less flexible now and, if we're not home, she loses track of her toy. The delight she expresses at the "reunion", though, is still good for couple of laughs. :lol: :roll:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I plan to enjoy my Christmas tomorrow and hope my sinuses don't bother me too much.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Unwrapping presents, rocking antlers, playing Reindeer games :) (mainly of the board variety). Merry Christmas all!

Sophie and sheep reunited, yay!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Had a zoom call with my kids - who have aged well out of childhood (my eldest son will hit 50 next year). All's well and, again, Merry Christmas to all.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Saw my Dad, he's keeping o.k. played card games.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Glad to hear yr dad is okay, Daunted. What type of card games did you play?
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

NHWestoN wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:32 pm Had a zoom call with my kids - who have aged well out of childhood (my eldest son will hit 50 next year). All's well and, again, Merry Christmas to all.
I imagine it would be quite surreal to live to see your kids grow like that.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:48 am
NHWestoN wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:32 pm Had a zoom call with my kids - who have aged well out of childhood (my eldest son will hit 50 next year). All's well and, again, Merry Christmas to all.
I imagine it would be quite surreal to live to see your kids grow like that.
Well, it does give you a sense of how time has passed for yourself, both a quiet pleasure ib what they have accomplished but also a marker of your own mortality. :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Putting away the Christmas decorations for another year.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Starting to gather documents for the taxes. Slow, gray sort of day and not feeling terribly ambitious.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Got my booster shot.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

The booster actually ached more than my first two vaccinations, it wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t something I’d like to relive every day.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am gonna get my booster shot in a few hours. The only appointment I could get was a 6 AM one at our 24-hour CVS. That is gonna be fun.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

It appears that the sinusitis + whateveritwas that ailed me over Thanksgiving has returned for round 2 to ruin my New Year as well. So, tonight (and tomorrow) will be me cancelling plans and resting.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Hope you feel better, Curious.

DDeer

Post by DDeer »

trekkie wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:10 pm Glad to hear yr dad is okay, Daunted. What type of card games did you play?
Chase the Ace, Hearts and another one called Yaniv I think (we play a variation of this where you have to get below 11).
Also played Pokemon of course :-)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just got my booster earlier today and by earlier I mean at 6 AM. Got to love having a 24-hour CVS around. Sometimes. :ugeek:
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I’d love to have a 24 hour drug store nearby, to be honest.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:58 am I’d love to have a 24 hour drug store nearby, to be honest.
Gotta love access - after all, getting sick is a 24-hour a day afflicition.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Today I was getting ready for New Years Eve but now I'm grieving Betty White.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sitting home with the wife, the dog, and a large Jack and Coke. Maybe I'll stay awake. Maybe not. Either way, 2021 evaporates and 2022 begins.
Maybe Daisy will show up in a Housepets strip this year.
Happy or Happier New Year, dahlins ...... :)
Harry Johnathan

CuriousCnidarian wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:18 am It appears that the sinusitis + whateveritwas that ailed me over Thanksgiving has returned for round 2 to ruin my New Year as well. So, tonight (and tomorrow) will be me cancelling plans and resting.
Prayed for you.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Laying low and staying warm. Sophie's feeling poorly today.
Harry Johnathan

Hope Sophie is alright.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Watching news reports about the COVID-19 vaccine.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Get well soon Sophie
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:46 am Get well soon Sophie
Hadn't seen this before. Sophie and I are grateful for your kind thoughts, DDeer. Happy Birthday, again!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Dealing with stomach issues which I am pretty sure are the result of the P.F. Chang's spicy chicken I had for dinner last night. I think I could feel the insides of my mouth beginning to melt.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Watch that spice!
NHWestoN wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:07 pm
DDeer wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:46 am Get well soon Sophie
Hadn't seen this before. Sophie and I are grateful for your kind thoughts, DDeer. Happy Birthday, again!
Thankyou Weston, had dearly hoped for better news about Sophie, very kind of you both.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Again, festive wishes for you, dear. And thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers.

Sophie had been at the animal shelter where we volunteered for sometime before we discovered her. She was at least two and more likely three of four years old, and her life until then had been hard, loveless, and perhaps a bit perilous. At some stage in her life, she had been a "breeder" for a dogfight gang and had birthed at least one set of puppies. Being about corgi-sheltie size, she would never have been trained for the ring but her eventual fate would finally have been to die as a "victim dog". In training dogs to fight, you have to train them to kill - "victim dogs" are the targets where fighting dogs learn their "killer" instincts. Somehow Sophie escaped that fate.

Our shelter was always full and in small, underfunded, semi-rural shelters the goal is to support the most adoptable animals. Those who prove less or unadoptable are supported until new animals arrive - then they are euthanized to make room for the more adoptable candidates. Sophie, we discovered, had been on the death list for some time, but the staff had fallen in love with the happy, three pawed "little fox with the wonderful, wavy tail" and kept her from the gas. Someone had also provided her a little doll, a sheep, which she defended fiercely but surrendered gladly to those she trusted. The missus and I were just baffled as to why no one had adopted her so, moved by her story and her vivacious personality, we brought her home. She lived with us through fifteen-sixteen years.

Sophie's health, energy, and joy seemed in exhaustible. People were gob-smacked when I told them how old she was. She loved to run and when folks asked how a three-footed dog could run, I'd just shrug and say "Sophie is a miracle of God." It was last January that her decline became noticeable, though, and - like the two autumn leaves in Bambi - she began drifting downward. Various pills, shots, and treatments revived her for a month, three weeks, but the signs of aging returned relentlessly. In August, we learned she had "mass" (tumor) and were told she would be gone before mid-September. She slept more, ate irregularly, and her spirit of adventure faded as her youthful mobility gave way to a slow unsteady stiffness.

But Sophie was not only beautiful and joyous; she was tough and willful. In December, her wise vet started her on an anti-inflammatory that worked pretty well. Sophie had a wonderful Christmas, but I held off buying her a Christmas sweater (Sophie was our little southern dog and did not care for snow, wind, sleet, wet, and cold). Then, two days after New Year's, her decline seemed to accelerate. After a year, we determined that our little fox had reached the line where medical treatment provides diminishing returns and leaches into a kind of torture. Then she left us.

The mourning and melacholy will be with us for a while. I confess I await with dread the phonecall to come and retrieve those beloved ashes. But we spent almost a quarter of our lives with "Sophie the Joyous" and she will be in our lives forever. Maybe longer.

Love to all.