Animated Films of 2012

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Psykeout

Re: Animated Films of 2012

Post by Psykeout »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:okay, why did the one that went through another arrow go deeper than the others?
also, awesome.
I don't pretend to know how Archery works, but I assume there's a way to put more power into a shot. Also, it didn't have to pierce the cover of the target, since it just went through the same hole that the first arrow made, so it just had to go through the hay.
bwah bwah
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

now it makes sense. suspension of disbelief re-engaged.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Dang I wanna see this movie.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Two films that I am excited for that are still in production and I hope they get released this year are "The Goon" and "Night of the Living Dead: Origins 3D".

Teaser trailers are out for both, and they look awesome!

"The Goon" is based on an awesome comic by Eric Powell. Clancy Brown is voicing Goon and Paul Giamatti is voicing Frankie.

"Night of the Living Dead: Origins 3D" is an animated remake (obviously) of "Night of the Living Dead" from 1968. It has been remade twice, and from the 1990 remake (one of only a handful of remakes that I actually like) Tony Todd is reprising the role of Ben and Bill Moseley is reprising the role of Johnny. Joe Pilato is going to play Harry Cooper. He had been in "Dawn of the Dead" as a cop and in "Day of the Dead" as Captain Rhodes. Interesting side note is that Pilato was the voice of Metal Greymon on "Digimon".

Another film set to be released this year is "Guardians of Luna", an OVA about werewolves fighting against evil in a futuristic city.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Frankenweenie looks good I think!
what sold me was the Bride of Frankenstien Poodle and the Igor kid. I think it seems kind of clever and fun!
I hope it's not in black and white though

Also, he looks so much like the Corpse Bride protagonist. I wonder if it's the same puppet head?
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That could be good! But there's no way it's going to do well, being animated and black-and-white.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Oh snap
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

That looks pretty awesome.
I hope they do it all in black and white.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Seth wrote:That looks pretty awesome.
I hope they do it all in black and white.
Psykeout said they will. Which is why I'm confident it will fail.
Radio Blue Heart

"Nightmare Before Christmas" and "The Corpse Bride" might as well have been in black and white since they where so monochromatic. Most scenes were dark and had very few colors.

For other black and white films in the age of color films did very well, like "Schindler's List", "The Artist", "The Elephantman", "Eraserhead", and so on. The only film in recent years that failed financially was "Ed Wood" and even then it won three Oscars and developed a cult following.

"Frankenweenie" is a Tim Burton film and it should appeal to the same crowd that liked his previous animated films.
-Virgil
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Don't really see any reason for it to fail just because it's in b/w
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Tiggy wrote:Don't really see any reason for it to fail just because it's in b/w
A lot of people think all animation is inherently just for kids, and a lot of kids think all black-and-white films are inherently boring.

I'm intrigued. Partially because I actually just finished almost reading Frankenstein, which I'm guessing will have little relevance to this movie, but it still looks interesting.
Image Image
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

CaptainPea wrote:
A lot of people think all animation is inherently just for kids

didn't stop a certain show. XP
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tiggy wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:
A lot of people think all animation is inherently just for kids

didn't stop a certain show. XP
So you have to beat the audience over the head with swear words and sex jokes in order to convince them animation can be for adults.

Most people think black and white is boring. People want special effects. They want fancy visuals. And then there's the stigma of animation on top of all that.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:"Frankenweenie" is a Tim Burton film and it should appeal to the same crowd that liked his previous animated films.
Totally. The corpse bride failed pretty miserably though. because it was really boring.
:B

Corpse bride was far from being in black and white though! it was in muted color. That's the kind of color I'd like to see. Maybe even a lot of black and white color schemes involved. But due to Animation Age Ghetto, which sadly society has still not managed to get over, ( >:V ) It's going to fail. I'm sure it will be good, (this seems to be the type of movie Tim Burton does best) and it will probably develop a following, but it's going to bomb.

Also, remember how I said the Frankenweenie boy looked like the Corpse Bride dude? Well his name is Victor Frankenstein! And the Corpse Bride guy was named Victor Von Dort! They also feature a lot of the same animating team.
Nice little shout out. :3c
CaptainPea wrote:I'm intrigued. Partially because I actually just finished almost reading Frankenstein, which I'm guessing will have little relevance to this movie, but it still looks interesting.
Actually, I feel like this is a pretty strong parody. Dr. Frankenstein animates a dead thing back to life, there's an Igor-type-kid, and even a Bride of Frankenstein (Who I'm sure is not in the original book)
bwah bwah
Radio Blue Heart

You didn't like it? Well, I guess too many people expected it to be more like "Nightmare Before Christmas". I was going more on its box office returns and Rotten Tomatoes reviews. But to each its own.

It has bursts of color, but every Burton movie its very drab. Joe Bob Briggs once said that the influence of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" is present in every movie that Burton has done.

I love all kinds of movies and a lot of my favorite films are in black and white. I don't think that "Night of the Living Dead" would have worked better if it was color. It contributed to the sense of dread.
-Virgil
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Corpse Bride was just boring is all. The main characters were all really bland and the most of them didn't have very strong personalities.
*checks*
oh wow this got an 84 on RT?
man I need to just go
and sit
and think about life.

but yes I think the movie can be drab without turning away everyone who wouldn't be embarrassed to see an animated movie in theaters on their own.
bwah bwah
Radio Blue Heart

Psykeout wrote:Corpse Bride was just boring is all. The main characters were all really bland and the most of them didn't have very strong personalities.
*checks*
oh wow this got an 84 on RT?
man I need to just go
and sit
and think about life.

but yes I think the movie can be drab without turning away everyone who wouldn't be embarrassed to see an animated movie in theaters on their own.
That's just an average review. If you don't like it that's alright, to each his own. I didn't hate it but I didn't think it was that special. It just means they won't get closer to 100%.
-Virgil
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I agree with Psyke that the Corpse Bride was not very interesting
I don't remember really anything about the movie other than that there are some dead folks in it
Psykeout wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:I'm intrigued. Partially because I actually just finished almost reading Frankenstein, which I'm guessing will have little relevance to this movie, but it still looks interesting.
Actually, I feel like this is a pretty strong parody. Dr. Frankenstein animates a dead thing back to life, there's an Igor-type-kid, and even a Bride of Frankenstein (Who I'm sure is not in the original book)
Victor Frankenstein never received his doctorate, had no assistance in his work (nor is it mentioned that he knew any distinctively hunchbacked persons), and his female creation ended up being ripped apart before it was ever brought to life.

Not that diverging from the source material is inherently bad. Since people are more familiar with the Universal films (which aren't bad), it makes sense to work off of those. (Although for the record, in Universal's Frankenstein, Henry Frankenstein's assistant was named Fritz. Ygor was the assistant to Frankenstein's son in some later movie which I haven't seen because I can't be bothered).
Image Image
Radio Blue Heart

CaptainPea wrote:I agree with Psyke that the Corpse Bride was not very interesting
I don't remember really anything about the movie other than that there are some dead folks in it
Psykeout wrote:
Victor Frankenstein never received his doctorate, had no assistance in his work (nor is it mentioned that he knew any distinctively hunchbacked persons), and his female creation ended up being ripped apart before it was ever brought to life.

Not that diverging from the source material is inherently bad. Since people are more familiar with the Universal films (which aren't bad), it makes sense to work off of those. (Although for the record, in Universal's Frankenstein, Henry Frankenstein's assistant was named Fritz. Ygor was the assistant to Frankenstein's son in some later movie which I haven't seen because I can't be bothered).

Divergence from the source material can alter or destroy the author's intended vision of the story. I love monster on the loose movies, but much of Shelley's message and commentaries where lost in the Universal series and all the other attempts. Some of them tried to use it as a template to express their own ideas. "Flesh for Frankenstein" was an anti-fascist parable and "Lady Frankenstein" and "The Bride" were feminist variation of the story.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So in this movie, the dead dog will be...

...animated?

*sunglasses*

Yeah.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

sunglasses come before the pun, after the set up.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Allow me to post one adorable picture of a kitten for each care I give:
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

bwah bwah
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I really liked Corpse Bride
but to each his/her own I guess
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Psykeout wrote:Image
this coincidence seems to have surprised you.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 16717 times
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

"Lightning strikes, it's the witching hour.
The monstrosity comes alive.
A victim of man's vanity.
Born in delirium, a deranged child.
He turns his back on his own creation.
Chaos ensues, the innocent die.
Who's the monster?
Who's the victim?"
-Virgil
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

"Dr. Seuss' The Lorax is cute and funny enough but the moral simplicity of the book gets lost with the zany Hollywood production values."
No surprises.

I haven't seen it yet but I'd just like to state that according to Popular Internet Site I was right.
bwah bwah
Radio Blue Heart

Found a trailer for "The Goon". Fare warning, it has some offensive language that carries over from the comic. So BE WARNED! NAUGHTY WORDS and some cartoon violence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T1NF81BIRQ

I found a teaser trailer for "Night of the Living Dead: Origins 3D". WARNING for some very bad CGI blood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hXZtnPH7qM

Now that I see the actual animation I am not as excited as I was before. I looks kind of crappy and they look like there going to do to "Night of the Living Dead" in this remake what they did to "Dawn of the Dead" in its remake. No atmosphere, just cheap scares. Even if a dead thing could get up and move around it would be in no shape to move fast let alone run. But no the other hand, this version does have a solid cast, maybe they can overcome the short comings of the animation.

There is no trailer yet for "Guardians of Luna" unfortunately. I did see some clips in a presentation reel for the animation company that is making it and it looked awesome!
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh my glub this is going to be so amazing I have to see it.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Why did the narrator list off all of the Guardians' names separately? "We are the Sand Man. And we are the Tooth Fairy. And we are the Easter Bunny..." etc. That was just awkward.

The movie itself looks really cool though. Dreamworks never fails to make stylistically gorgeous films.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

It was supposed to be like a speech. repetition like that is a rhetorical device.
plus it was "we are the Easter bunny and the Tooth fairy. we are the sandman and Santa"
one more thing, the Narrator was Santa
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Actually it was, "We are the Sandman and the Tooth Fairy. We are the Easter Bunny and Santa." Regardless, no matter how poetic it might've looked on paper, the delivery was bad and awkward and more bad. That's just my opinion, though. (Plus, no matter how epic the guy voicing it, I just can't take the line, "We are the Easter Bunny... and Santa." seriously. It just sounds downright goofy.)

And I kinda figured the narrator was Santa.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

KJOokami wrote:Dreamworks never fails to make stylistically gorgeous films.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Why do I like shark tale
CONFESSION TIME even I have guilty pleasures.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Rise of the Guardians trailer
do want.
ahh.
Aaahhhhhhh.
aaAAAAAAAHHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
GOODNESS THIS IS A GOOD TRAILER.

I TAKE BACK THE NEGATIVE THINGS
KJOokami wrote:It just sounds downright goofy.
Well yes that's the biggest trouble with this movie is that it's actually a childish idea and it's hard to balance it. Usually a movie like this will either be too goofy because Santa is jolly and the easter bunny is fluffy and cute or goofy like Shrek because look now everyone is so modernized and we were tying to subvert the stock characters and the tooth fairy is the successful and serious business woman in charge of a giant tooth trading company.

These characters seem very traditional and very serious and I can tell they had some issues but the did SPECTACULARLY considering how bad it could be.
DID YOU SEE THAT ANIMATION
DID YOU HEAR THOSE VOICES

Psyke makes a prediction: This movie is going to feel awkward, forced, and a bit cliche, but as long as you can look past some clunky dialogue and silly plot devices, you should be able to enjoy this movie for it's lovely animation and plot atmosphere. A movie that genuinely tries to make a bad premise work, and succeeds in many respects.
Last edited by Psykeout on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bwah bwah

Post by 0404 »

Just a taught, Does anyone think that RIO, Lady and tramp, Bolt, alpha and omega, and Balto have Big common in differnet way?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

texascat018 wrote:Just a taught, Does anyone think that RIO, Lady and tramp, Bolt, alpha and omega, and Balto have Big common in differnet way?
Other than talking animals?
No.
Especially not Lady and the Tramp my goodness.
That movie was far too mature for it's own good. I enjoyed it though!
bwah bwah
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm totally psyched (resisting the urge to make bad puns...) to see this movie. I SAW THAT ANIMATION AND HEARD DEM VOICES. I just thought that one line was delivered really oddly.

Also, yeah, there are very few similarities between the aforementioned movies.

Edit: Oh, and since Psyke mentioned guilty pleasures. Alpha and Omega is totally mine. It's really a pretty bad movie, all things considered, but I loved it anyway. 3:
Last edited by KJOokami on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

My mom loves Lady and the Tramp.

however, this is a thread about 2012 animated movies. discussion of older animated films can be held in the favorite movies thread or the cartoons and anime thread. unless you wanna throw a 2012 movie into that list, then it's alright.

now let's go the opposite end of the spectrum.
Hotel Transylvania doesn't look that great.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets